Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TraderStav posted:

My goodies finally arrived. Now to get racking.

I just installed in-wall APs on each floor of the house after a very frustrating cabling experience (I thought I or my crimper were poo poo, but it turned out that my cable tester broke mid-project) and it is really good. Waiting for them to start selling the Switch Lite 8 POE in Canada so I can replace my jungle of POE adapters and chained switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Bottom Liner posted:

Wake me up when Heelies come back

https://heelys.com/

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

PleasusChrist posted:

I don't ever post, but I saw this post and then ordered some, and these things rule. It's like a perfect little foot hug.

Any sizing recommendations?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

PleasusChrist posted:

I don't ever post, but I saw this post and then ordered some, and these things rule. It's like a perfect little foot hug.

They're wonderful. I ordered a pair this winter and wear them around the house every day.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Subjunctive posted:

I just installed in-wall APs on each floor of the house after a very frustrating cabling experience (I thought I or my crimper were poo poo, but it turned out that my cable tester broke mid-project) and it is really good. Waiting for them to start selling the Switch Lite 8 POE in Canada so I can replace my jungle of POE adapters and chained switches.

Got them racked and ran the patch cables. Ran out of time and more work to do! I already ran all the cat6 over the past few weeks. Going to get this all set up and then slowly transfer all my devices over to the other network. My cablemodem has two WAN connects so have that luxury.

Under the keyboard tray will be my 8-bay JBOD tower and under that my UnRaid server. Have one of those desktop UPS to drive it all. PDU is on the back behind the patch panel.

Very happy with how everything is coming so far.

Here's some cable gore for you.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

there's something devastating about learning that they make heelys in adult sizes but are completely out of your own size

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We needed a new handheld vacuum, and my gf and our kids were complaining about how annoying they find it to lug the Miele full-sized one around, so this is both full-sized and handheld, as you need it.

My FB post asking for cordless vacuum recommendations turned up like 95% Dyson, which probably says more about my friend group than about the vacuum industry.

TraderStav posted:

Very happy with how everything is coming so far.

That is very satisfying to see. I only have 3 places in the house that need Ethernet right now, including the APs, plus one server, so I figure 8 ports will do me even if I add a few POE cameras to the mix.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Oct 1, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Subjunctive posted:

That is very satisfying to see. I only have 3 places in the house that need Ethernet right now, including the APs, plus one server, so I figure 8 ports will do me even if I add a few POE cameras to the mix.

Shhh, don't cheat and see that only 12 ports are terminated into the patch panel. Got plenty of room for future expansion :)

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

I bought one of the previous generation models and performance has definitely diminished after two years. Worked well for a while anyway, but definitely a better fit for smaller homes or apartments. I've been meaning to look up third party battery replacements.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

7of7 posted:

Sample size of one, but I found their US-Euro conversion to be accurate -- 12 US on the Brannock, 46 in Glerups (which they call 12/12.5 US).

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I am moving to Michigan where my aunt has a cottage up north that is good for skiing, so I just impulse bought these goofy things.

Also preordered these when preorders went live a while ago.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My entire state is on fire so there's good deals on fire pits

Yukon 27" with stand, cover, and spark screen. The missus has been wanting a firepit for ages and this seems to be a great one!

How’s the radiant heat on this? Do you have to be pretty close to keep warm?

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

7of7 posted:

I wear an 11 in most everything, so ordered the 45's (11/11.5). They are a tad big, but I think I'd rather have the extra room in case I end up with thick socks on in the winter.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Trabant posted:

Sample size of one, but I found their US-Euro conversion to be accurate -- 12 US on the Brannock, 46 in Glerups (which they call 12/12.5 US).

PleasusChrist posted:

I wear an 11 in most everything, so ordered the 45's (11/11.5). They are a tad big, but I think I'd rather have the extra room in case I end up with thick socks on in the winter.

Thank you both!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

black.lion posted:

Yea honestly the boot was an impulse buy, then spent some time deciding between PR80 and NR100 but yeah if I ever want big wheels I already have 'em so figured I'd go smaller (and more spinny slidey!) with these, plus NR100 are easier to find so if I ever want the alternate frame I'm sure I can get it in a pinch

Waiting 'til 2021 is going to be hard but I'm sooooo excited to start shredding these

Stupid newbie question... any decent entry level slate recommendations? I know how to ice skate and I’d love to try out rollerblading on some decent equipment.

Subjunctive posted:

We needed a new handheld vacuum, and my gf and our kids were complaining about how annoying they find it to lug the Miele full-sized one around, so this is both full-sized and handheld, as you need it.

My FB post asking for cordless vacuum recommendations turned up like 95% Dyson, which probably says more about my friend group than about the vacuum industry.

We bought a Dyson v8 cordless to complement our Miele vacuum as well, and after a year plus I can confirm it’s an excellent buy!

Unifi APs are excellent, about three years ago I upgraded my Unifi APs to the AC-Pro, and one unit per floor does a fantastic job with my old lathe and plaster house. The dream machine interests me, I migrated my controller from a VM to a cloud key, but thats failed me a few times and recovery has been fairly painful (even with regular backups). But I just recently migrated to a pfsense box so I’d be wasting the other features. I’d also love to consolidate platforms and replace my 1u 24-port rack switching and get rid of the old Procurve, but it’s hard to justify that when it works alright.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Prodigy's merch store had a firesale early this morning, managed to snag two shirts before they sold out almost instantly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

1994 Honda Del Sol S

15x6.5 Rota Slipstream with 195/50/15 Firestone Firehawks

For a combined result of:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I bought one of those new consoles everyone is talking about

And a budget Tesla

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Does the rear window still work?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

And a budget Tesla

Oh hey a Bolt you should take it back and get yourself one in "shock", the superior color choice (2019 only).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh hey a Bolt you should take it back and get yourself one in "shock", the superior color choice (2019 only).

Believe me, I would've got that color in a heartbeat if it were available on new ones

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

the best colour

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid newbie question... any decent entry level slate recommendations? I know how to ice skate and I’d love to try out rollerblading on some decent equipment.

Sorta depends on what you're looking for - if you want very basic/entry level the Zetrablade from Rollerblade is recommended often, but I personally feel like the next level up in skate gets you such a better experience that if you already know ice skating you may prefer something like a Seba E3 80 or the FR3 80 to start with (Zetrablades are like $100 and the Seba/FRs are around $180-$220 I believe)

Also if you're used to ice skating, be aware that entry level skates are not rockered, meaning that out of the box all 4 wheels will be touching flat ground at once - an ice skate blade is slightly curved, so higher-end skates (like the ones I posted) will have a rocker to give more agility like on an ice skate, but it'll feel a little different at first. Over time if you rotate your wheels to encourage a rocker, they'll wear down more on the 1/4 wheels than 2/3 and you'll get a natural rocker going.

Also also you may consider going for 3x90-110mm (big wheels) instead of 4x76-80mm (the classic size) if you want speed.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for!

Oh last thing is those Seba/FRs don't come with a heel brake, but even with skates that come with a heel brake you want to take it off as soon as you can stop without it because as soon as you don't need it it's more dangerous than useful. But if you were to get Seba/FRs and wanted a heel brake to start you'd have to buy one separately.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Same color bros.

I’ve been playing mine more than my PS4 and PC put together. There’s something nostalgic about laying on my bed playing GameBoy while the windows let that fall air in. So good.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

(A disc golf basket for my yard)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

black.lion posted:

Sorta depends on what you're looking for - if you want very basic/entry level the Zetrablade from Rollerblade is recommended often, but I personally feel like the next level up in skate gets you such a better experience that if you already know ice skating you may prefer something like a Seba E3 80 or the FR3 80 to start with (Zetrablades are like $100 and the Seba/FRs are around $180-$220 I believe)

Also if you're used to ice skating, be aware that entry level skates are not rockered, meaning that out of the box all 4 wheels will be touching flat ground at once - an ice skate blade is slightly curved, so higher-end skates (like the ones I posted) will have a rocker to give more agility like on an ice skate, but it'll feel a little different at first. Over time if you rotate your wheels to encourage a rocker, they'll wear down more on the 1/4 wheels than 2/3 and you'll get a natural rocker going.

Also also you may consider going for 3x90-110mm (big wheels) instead of 4x76-80mm (the classic size) if you want speed.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for!

Oh last thing is those Seba/FRs don't come with a heel brake, but even with skates that come with a heel brake you want to take it off as soon as you can stop without it because as soon as you don't need it it's more dangerous than useful. But if you were to get Seba/FRs and wanted a heel brake to start you'd have to buy one separately.

How used is “used to ice skating”? I do it once every few years and haven’t died/broken my face so far.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Honestly I'm not an ice skater so idk how directly it relates, I just have heard people who started on ice (or grew up ice skating) talk about how lovely flat 4 setups felt and how getting their skates rockered helped a lot with the transition

You can take a "flat 4" skate and rocker it by having (for instance) the two middle wheels be 80mm and the two outer wheels be 78mm or 76mm - you don't HAVE to buy expensive skates

But you should ONE OF US

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Some folks (including pros) use Marsblades to simulate the rocker motion, it's not perfect but it's better.
https://www.marsblade.com/off-ice

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

with all this skate talk, has anyone tried snowskates out? I just bought these and hope they are fun and easy to use.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I am moving to Michigan where my aunt has a cottage up north that is good for skiing, so I just impulse bought these goofy things.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
For like 300 years speed skating skates had no curve to the blade whatsoever so you couldn't really 'roll' into your push at all until someone invented a hinged blade mechanism in the 1980s which then sloooowly won over various traditionalists and pearl-clutching regulatory bodies until by the mid-90s you might as well not show up if you were still rocking flintstones skates.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
For what it's worth, I don't know anyone in my roller hockey league who uses a rocker. I've heard of Marsblade, but I've only heard of it as something that people supposedly use. I've never actually met someone who has used them. I definitely notice the lack of rocker when using my inline skates over my ice skates, but I honestly don't see a reason to use a rocker for any reason besides wanting a rocker. Ice skating is fundamentally different from inline skating in a number of ways. You're going to have to adjust one way or another, and trying to make them similar seems like a futile goal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

black.lion posted:

Sorta depends on what you're looking for - if you want very basic/entry level the Zetrablade from Rollerblade is recommended often, but I personally feel like the next level up in skate gets you such a better experience
Yeah I wouldn't recommend buying the cheapest ones unless you're like 100% sure that you're only going to do it a couple times and dump them in the closet. As a beginner you're going to have extreme difficulty balancing in skates without decent ankle support.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Got some new shades just in time for winter...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

R2R2R done!

Hiking thread write up

And for content I bought and ate an entire pizza and drank a big IPA. It was glorious.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

1redflag posted:

Does the rear window still work?

Oh you betcha! In the below photogram you can peep the goodness

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fall jacket.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My goal life is to have all Arc’Teryx outerwear. I want to start with the Beta AR but that’s a $550 shell.

Maybe I should start with an Atom LT hoody

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just clothe yourself in cuben fiber at that point.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Shrapnig posted:

Got some new shades just in time for winter...

Nice, I got an ad for those but found the pricing a bit too premium given that I’m pretty well set for shades already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Just clothe yourself in cuben fiber at that point.
Aside from being insanely expensive, Arcteryx has probably already jumped the shark and started being recognized as a "lifestyle" brand, so I doubt there's much overlap between its customers and crazy people posting on backpackinglight or whatever at this point.