Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

drat. That boy big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Clearly, MS should've called their new console PS6.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Clearly, MS should've called their new console PS6.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1181567182611853312?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel like the big buzzer on QI just went off behind me.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Crafty posted:

"I can't wait to get the Series"

"What Series"

"THE XBOX SERIES"

Did they ever give an explanation for the choice? I only started paying attention recently. Is it so they can have a series V and things like that? I mean that still doesn't really make sense though, you could just get rid of the word Series in that scenario. I typed the word series too many times there and had to google it to make sure it was right.

Isn't this exactly what Apple did with the watches? No one seems to have beef with that. Although they were smart enough to not reuse letters of the alphabet after 'series'.

Wheeee posted:

Microsoft gives their consoles meaningless incomprehensible names because they don't want people to associate with the console, they want people to associate with the broader Xbox brand.

Nobody says they drive a 3 series/play a series s, they drive a BMW/play an Xbox

This is 100% wrong lol. People absolutely say "i drive a 5 series' or 'e class' or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Those Madden/FIFA covers are apparently aping a hip new design thing called collaging, which itself is just recreating the instagram aesthetic in a single image but the execution here looks like absolute over busy dogshit.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea, it'd make sense to stick with the 'series' naming convention. Given their history they'll come up with something even more convoluted and confusing for the average consumer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It's going to be Xbox Two

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thom12255 posted:

It's going to be Xbox Two

Xbox Too

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Those Madden/FIFA covers are apparently aping a hip new design thing called collaging, which itself is just recreating the instagram aesthetic in a single image but the execution here looks like absolute over busy dogshit.

I think it's supposed to remind you of the in-game menus, which are also confusing collages of bullshit.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

MarcusSA posted:

Eh. I’d have to see the numbers on that. I could see it being higher but not exponentially higher.

You are shifting power use from one place to another. I’m not sure how you quantify the power use of bandwidth either.

I think it'd be significantly higher. In particular the server farms are huge, run 24/7, cost a lot in terms of resources/materials, AND you still need to run your own device to access it. Whereas if all you did was run it on your own device, the only thing you're increasing is a negligible electricity pull.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol cmon

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

Isn't this exactly what Apple did with the watches? No one seems to have beef with that. Although they were smart enough to not reuse letters of the alphabet after 'series'.

No, not really. It goes series and then a number, which increases. I have a series 4 and they just announced a series 6. And the distinction is far less important because software compatibility is far, far less of an issue.

What Microsoft did would be more akin to the “Apple Watch edition” where they used a word that doesn’t really flow by itself as the naming distinction, and simultaneously not making it clear if it’s newer or older.

With Xbox, “series” itself is the name of the console in terms of actual compatibility. And yet neither of those boxes make it clear that the game also works on the Series S.. (Edited because I somehow forgot Series S doesn't have a disk drive so it's irrelevant. Still, for marking things digitally, I believe they are saying Series S|X which is also incredibly awkward?)

I like just about everything Microsoft is doing with this generation. And in some ways blurring the lines between generation (and mid generation) makes sense with their emphasis on GamePass.

But the naming (and those box labels) is a clusterfuck and makes it confusing to tell what works on what system, which is a massive part of the point of having dedicated consoles at all in the first place.

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 1, 2020

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Escape Goat posted:

With Xbox, “series” itself is the name of the console in terms of actual compatibility. And yet neither of those boxes make it clear that the game also works on the Series S.

While I think the console naming isn’t good, and the box design is incredibly confusing, you can’t blame them for not putting Series S on them since it doesn’t have a disk drive.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Magic Mango posted:

While I think the console naming isn’t good, and the box design is incredibly confusing, you can’t blame them for not putting Series S on them since it doesn’t have a disk drive.

That is a very good point. Okay in this case I’m the moron. Rest of my points I stand by :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah not even close to the same thing TBH.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"There's no way consumers will be able to understand this ridiculous naming scheme!" I type on my Samsung Galaxy Note 20-S Ultra+ 5G.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

"There's no way consumers will be able to understand this ridiculous naming scheme!" I type on my Samsung Galaxy Note 20-S Ultra+ 5G.

You forgot Fan Edition

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

American McGay posted:

I’m typing it on my iPhone SE (they named the second iPhone SE the iPhone SE)

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Crafty posted:

They should all just say FOR XBOXES

They'd get sued by people with '01 Xboxes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The naming convention is absolutely stupid but anyone with even a passing interest in getting a new console is going to be aware of it.

The kids telling parents will be very specific because they know it's confusing

The adults who want it are smart enough to research it

The only subset of people that might buy the wrong thing are people buying it as a gift as a total surprise who are also totally oblivious to games. They'll probably see the pricing and be able to infer that the series X is the equivalent of a ps5.

The box art thing is hosed as hell though.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah isn't most gift giving done off amazon and other wishlists now

All the other box arts aside from cod seem to have a big green optimised for series x badge on the cover

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This thread should be drug tested

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
For us to have this discussion proves that Microsoft has failed in creating an easy to understand naming convention.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Crafty posted:

I always find it funny when anyone gives Sony credit for calling their 5 consoles 1,2,3,4 and ....5. You’re going to go ballistic over led zeppelin’s album names

And yet, none of the rest of them can manage this.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arkage posted:

I think it'd be significantly higher. In particular the server farms are huge, run 24/7, cost a lot in terms of resources/materials, AND you still need to run your own device to access it. Whereas if all you did was run it on your own device, the only thing you're increasing is a negligible electricity pull.

Yeah but the server farm is shared by many users.

I feel like the energy cost for a server to run a game could be lower than the energy cost for your personal Xbox to do the same thing.

But there is an additional energy cost to communicate the data to and from the server. I feel like the cost to communicate the data to and from the server, which could be far away, might be pretty high.

It isn't obvious to me which one is more energy efficient.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 1, 2020

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Adaptabullshit posted:

For us to have this discussion proves that Microsoft has failed in creating an easy to understand naming convention.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

American McGay posted:

You say this facetiously but this sort of thing was actually a bit of a problem when I worked in retail a long time ago. From people who I used to work with, this got especially bad when Apple ditched numbering their iPads because consumers just could not figure out accessory compatibility with any degree of certainty.

For the most part though, Samsung and Apple get away with these stupid product names because they force more strict product merchandising requirements onto retailers and have retailers push first party products.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Have to say I've been enjoying some random Gamepass games I never would've paid for otherwise. Specifically, Deliver Us the Moon (good story, light puzzles), Carrion, Observer, Sea Salt, with the last three all having very unique gameplay systems. Although gently caress Sea Salt's difficulty spikes and lack of quick save or even mid-level saves. Also did a quick run through of Battletoads (wasn't that bad), and have Streets of Rage 4 & Dishonored 2 yet to get through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sea and Salt is like 70% of the way to a classic and it sucks because it just isn't all there and ends up falling into "flawed and interesting". Would play Sea and Salt 2 in a heartbeat.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Sea and Salt is like 70% of the way to a classic and it sucks because it just isn't all there and ends up falling into "flawed and interesting". Would play Sea and Salt 2 in a heartbeat.
Are you talking about Sea Salt or Salt and Sanctuary because the "and" you're throwing in there is weirding me out

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My pc gamepass expired, so used Rewards points to put more money into the account, but it would not let me use the account money to keep going.
It was trying to force me to put in a credit card.
Week and a half later and I see that it finally auto charged with the standard money in the account.

But why make it so difficult, Microsoft.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OgNar posted:

My pc gamepass expired, so used Rewards points to put more money into the account, but it would not let me use the account money to keep going.
It was trying to force me to put in a credit card.
Week and a half later and I see that it finally auto charged with the standard money in the account.

But why make it so difficult, Microsoft.

Because all the money is in getting you to attach a payment method and then hoping you forget/are too lazy to cancel it.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
That money goes towards Phil Spencer’s new yacht, and he deserves it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Akuma posted:

Are you talking about Sea Salt or Salt and Sanctuary because the "and" you're throwing in there is weirding me out

Meant Sea Salt, the one where you play the cultist commanding the power of the deep ones. My entire playthrough was me going "oh man, this is almost great".

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zat posted:

I guess they also couldn't really do any promo shoots because of COVID. I still don't like them, instead they should've done something like

NHL is the only game my wife will play, and a huge reason is because she was a huge Kirk McLean fan and saw this box art back when she was 15.

Like she can't drive a car to save her life in gta but can do a juke and one timer no probs.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I did it, I got a pre-order series x.

I wanted it so i bought it and that's my statement judge stux, please be lenient.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Crafty posted:

I wanted it so i bought it and that's my statement judge stux, please be lenient.
Guilty!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
My sentence is NO GOOD launch titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Crafty posted: