Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ride out to asheville this weekend to hang with friends. rode the dragon on my way back cause it was early so there weren’t too many dildos out

stopped at an overlook to eat some cold, leftover pizza from pizza mind and had a breakfast beer

great times, highly recommended if you go real early in the day. only came across one cop and had plenty of head-patted warnings :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Picked up a 2020 streetglide about 45 days ago. Rode from northeast Ohio to eastern Tennessee last week and enjoyed the dragon and the Cherahola skyway and other routes in the area myself before heading home. Got a little over 3000 miles on it already. Not a lifetime bike but it’s ok for now. Picture sucks. Sorry.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That looks like a really comfortable seat

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

You’d think. But my 990 adventure is more comfortable. I did almost 600 miles in a day last week on the street glide so I guess it’s capable. But my butt hurt. I was constantly shifting positions too. I don’t know. On one hand I don’t think it’s all that great but on the other hand you can fill the tank and run it empty a few times in a row only getting off to refuel so there that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

A Tuono without a V4? Sacrilege

Umm...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Voltage posted:

Some excellent weather up in the Poconos this weekend.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

:thejoke:, unless I was also missing :thejoke: in Jazzzzz's post and they did actually know where the Tuono started.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Problem is you can't move around, they just lock you into one position and that position is often spine-pulverising.

Kenny what do you think of the big low profile ront wheel? I've only ridden baggers with the smaller, chunkier front and I liked a lot more than the big skinny tire dynas and such often come with.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:thejoke:, unless I was also missing :thejoke: in Jazzzzz's post and they did actually know where the Tuono started.

We may be getting several :thejoke: layers deep

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

that was :thejoke:, albeit a bad one - Rolo mentioned Aprilia building a 6xx CC Vtwin Tuono, I made the no V4=sacrilege comment with a picture of an older Tuono w/ the Rotax Vtwin four posts above it

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Problem is you can't move around, they just lock you into one position and that position is often spine-pulverising.

Kenny what do you think of the big low profile ront wheel? I've only ridden baggers with the smaller, chunkier front and I liked a lot more than the big skinny tire dynas and such often come with.

It does lock you in and of course you can’t stand up unless it’s on the passenger pegs, which I do but isn’t ideal. So you end up kinda taking turns hanging one cheek off, other cheek, legs down dangling, on and on. The tire makes the front end harsh. I can’t even lie, I went in to the dealership looking at used bikes and got sold on a new one. I got swept up. I even took a few days to think about it and had a plan B which I’m pretty sure I’m gonna go with. Plan B is rude it for a year and pay cash on the negative equity when I trade it in on the Pan America or a 1090 Adventure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

that was :thejoke:, albeit a bad one - Rolo mentioned Aprilia building a 6xx CC Vtwin Tuono, I made the no V4=sacrilege comment with a picture of an older Tuono w/ the Rotax Vtwin four posts above it

It'll be a parallel twin :saddowns:

kenny powerzzz posted:

It does lock you in and of course you can’t stand up unless it’s on the passenger pegs, which I do but isn’t ideal. So you end up kinda taking turns hanging one cheek off, other cheek, legs down dangling, on and on. The tire makes the front end harsh. I can’t even lie, I went in to the dealership looking at used bikes and got sold on a new one. I got swept up. I even took a few days to think about it and had a plan B which I’m pretty sure I’m gonna go with. Plan B is rude it for a year and pay cash on the negative equity when I trade it in on the Pan America or a 1090 Adventure.

Getting a panam would make you my hero and more importantly annoy countless people here. So please do that!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slavvy posted:

I know but I’m still excited to see the RS660 in person. I’m also someone whose favorite color is purple so..

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Also props for the coordinating wheel colors.

Once demo rides are a thing again I will be interested in trying out the RS on a real road. Unless they eventually come out with an RS660RR(-R).

I wonder if it would make a good track bike with some mods, or if it would just make more sense to get an RSV4. It's all academic anyway I am still slow on a 600 i4

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

kenny powerzzz posted:

if you don't mind me asking, how much did they get you for before TTL?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

At first I thought the RS660 was too plain looking but it's really grown on me. I would still love a red/green livery.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Took a 2,400-mile trip this weekend, just got back.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=246a75f6c05fa63e27&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Both Colorado and California are hellworlds right now, so enjoy some ugly pics of an ugly bike!

Sunrise over Route 50 in Utah, somewhere. The haze isn't bad until you are in either the Rockies or the Sierras. Rockies are only smoky in bits, but the Sierras were a solid wall of smoke from Yosemite to just below Whitney.

I wanted to cross at Yosemite, but route 120 was closed for either Covid or the fires, it wasn't clear to me which. I still needed to get across the Sierras so I detoured south a few hours and crossed at Lake Isabella.

Did get to Mono Lake though. I went down to the lake itself too but figured the view from Inyo forest looks nicer.

Sunrise again, this time in Palisade, CO. Looks like a storm has cleared the air in Colorado again.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 29, 2020

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Almost forgot to mention, one of the CA threads recently talked about getting a leg over tail cargo by standing on the kickstand-side peg. Thanks to whoever brought that up, it really improved my quality of life this weekend.

It took a few goes to get comfortable, keeping my weight on the handlebars to keep from stressing the kickstand, but overall it's easy as pie and made getting a leg over a breeze.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Getting a panam would make you my hero and more importantly annoy countless people here. So please do that!

If it comes out and it doesn’t completely disgust me on the test ride that’s my plan.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

if you don't mind me asking, how much did they get you for before TTL?

A tad over 24. Denim black is more expensive. The pipes on it were more expensive. The mount kit for a tour pack is there already. A back rest. Blah blah blah. Overpriced for sure. But the m8 motor while surely miles behind anything manufactured by most other companies is miles ahead of the twin cam. It runs great, throttle response is great, fuel economy is good. It’s a step in the right direction I think. But then again I don’t see the point in not just putting liquid cooling and direct injection on them and having more power from a potentially lighter plant.
Sorry for the double post. I can’t remember how to quote different posts on my phone.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I trust Aprilia on this TBH. If it sounds a tenth as good as the Laverda Formula and actually takes proper advantage of the engine layout it could be an absolute cracker.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pan America is one of the best looking bikes to be announced in the last couple years. Probably total vaporware, but actually an appealing product to myself, a not-boomer, which is what HD should be pushing for.

It's probably going to cost fuckyou money :sigh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah wait I thought they cancelled that?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ulf posted:

Almost forgot to mention, one of the CA threads recently talked about getting a leg over tail cargo by standing on the kickstand-side peg. Thanks to whoever brought that up, it really improved my quality of life this weekend.

It took a few goes to get comfortable, keeping my weight on the handlebars to keep from stressing the kickstand, but overall it's easy as pie and made getting a leg over a breeze.

That was me that asked and I haven't actually tested it yet because lazy but man that looks like an awesome time and on the freaking nighthawk! I miss my 250 that I learned on and really seeing yours make me think I should have saved a bunch of money and just gotten a 750. I freaking love the way they look. Just a plain ole motorcycle looking motorcycle.

e: dI don't think I see tent, I assume you stayed in motels? How was that with rona? I was thinking about riding mexico to canada along the coast but wondering how feasible or safe it is during pandemic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kenny powerzzz posted:

A tad over 24. Denim black is more expensive. The pipes on it were more expensive. The mount kit for a tour pack is there already. A back rest. Blah blah blah. Overpriced for sure. But the m8 motor while surely miles behind anything manufactured by most other companies is miles ahead of the twin cam. It runs great, throttle response is great, fuel economy is good. It’s a step in the right direction I think. But then again I don’t see the point in not just putting liquid cooling and direct injection on them and having more power from a potentially lighter plant.
Sorry for the double post. I can’t remember how to quote different posts on my phone.

I've ridden a diavel and an m8 equipped fat bob and the Harley was better everywhere except the motorway/straight A-roads. The engine was more useable, smoother, had nicer response, the bike was easier and friendlier in the corners, felt lighter at low speeds.

The m8 is genuinely a fantastic engine and I've been banging on about this for ages but it's worth repeating: hp:cc is NOT meaningful metric for judging an engine, all it tells you is how high/low-strung it is and everything you should expect that comes with that. Yes it could be lighter, but it isn't because of Harley legacy reasons. Yeah it can be partially water cooled but that only matters if you work for an emissions regulator. It could definitely be much more powerful (and Harley will happily sell you the parts to do that) but that would throw away the character of the engine which is a large part of why you would want a Harley in the first place.

I swear to god it's like everyone realises their own bike is more than the sum of it's parts but when it comes to bikes they don't like it's suddenly all spreadsheets and poo poo.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Yeah wait I thought they cancelled that?

HD canceled the Bronx, which was the streetfighter. The ADV bike is still a go

Coydog posted:

Pan America is one of the best looking bikes to be announced in the last couple years.

nah

Coydog posted:

It's probably going to cost fuckyou money :sigh:

yep

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

TheBacon posted:

e: dI don't think I see tent, I assume you stayed in motels? How was that with rona? I was thinking about riding mexico to canada along the coast but wondering how feasible or safe it is during pandemic.
For this trip I had to take care of some family business in California (legal stuff where it was best to be there to sign papers), so I just powered through the 1,400-mile (26 hour) and 1,000-mile (20 hour) rides on each end to save time. The ride out was the scenic option, the ride back was the just-go-home option. I don't recommend riding straight-through like this, riding through the night can be so boring and cold.

I do have a tent that would fit into those bags easily but instead I just pack one of these $17 disposable space-blanket sleeping bags. They keep me plenty warm but I do wake up soaked. Not the comfiest option but it's nice to know you won't freeze if you break down or otherwise can't continue.

In normal days I just motel it though, yeah.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Coydog posted:

Pan Am. Probably total vaporware,

You gotta know that going in. Personally I don’t see it releasing. But I like it. Well, what we know about it.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

2020 Ninja 400 and 1996 ZX-7R

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Post more zx7 pics holy crap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I guess I'll need to do a few photos tomorrow. To me the ZX-7r is a great bike, beaten up from the years of course, but it annoys the hell out of me when I'm waiting for it to warm up. So I almost always take the Ninja 400. Obviously they are very different bikes but unlike cars, a bike from 25 years ago isn't THAT much different from a bike today.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It still shocks me every time I see what chonky wide bois 90s sportbikes were. I just imagined that they were about the same size as today's sportbikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A 919 blade is similar sized to a Hayabusa, others of that era are similar. It's strange though because they often aren't that heavy, it's just empty space.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Man that ZX looks shockingly similar to a decades later R1/R6

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm sad that only Suzuki has continued to make 750s although they never update it. I know that the 750s were only that displacement because of superbike racing rules but since their disappearance you now have beefed up 600s like the 636 or 800+ cc triples or like Ducati has done a middleweight that is now a 955cc V2.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 1, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

It still shocks me every time I see what chonky wide bois 90s sportbikes were. I just imagined that they were about the same size as today's sportbikes.

They're not actually *that* different in actual size - the phattest of the 90s bikes, the Hayabusa, is only 2cms wider and 5cm taller than the modern R1, a size difference you'd barely be able to tell even if they were parked side-by-side. It's the styling, especially the smooth curves, that makes the difference.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I agree and think the sharp angry skeletonized wasp styling visually appears smaller than it is versus older smoother bulbous designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yuns posted:

I'm sad that only Suzuki has continued to make 750s although they never update it. I know that the 750s were only that displacement because of superbike racing rules but since their disappearance you now have beefed up 600s like the 636 or 800+ cc triples or like Ducati has done a middleweight that is now a 955cc V2.

I salute Suzuki for realizing that 750cc is basically the perfect sport bike engine displacement but I fear what will happen when that motor can no longer meet emissions