Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

This person had the exact same issue. Reading through the thread, it sounds like hobbit jades are a recent and unstable mutation, possibly caused by a bacterium, and what you're seeing is very normal, including the different results from branch and leaf cuttings.

Oh wow, thank you! I'm not losing my mind (in this instance), and it looks like my suspicions of epigenetic strangeness may be correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Why do I seem to get a different plant when I propagate from leaves?

I did some reading into this: I had been under the impression that these were just a particular jade cultivar someone had bred and a number of sources on the internet indicate that this is the case, but as showbiz is saying they seem to actually be a monstrose mutation of Crassula ovata.

As far as I know cristate/monstrose forms are sometimes environmental (caused by bacteria/fungus/insects/etc), in which case they usually aren't very stable, and sometimes they are genetic (in which case they usually are). Given how common it is and that I have never heard about anyone having reversion issues I would assume that 'Hobbit' is a genetic mutation. With what you're seeing it seems likely that the mutation isn't present in the leaves but is in the nodes.

There's a decent overview that gives some more information about cristate/monstrose succulents (and has a lot of cool pictures) someone posted on Dave's Garden years ago.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 23, 2020

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Carnivorous plants

I'd imagine that environmental laws would prevent some species crossing international and some provincial/state/territorial borders. That said, if someone from BC or maybe Canada wants some random cuttings and bulbs from my garden I'd be down to sign up.

I'm in AB and would pay the shipping :)

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Santa doesn't charge shipping, I wouldn't worry about it!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I guess I could part with some of the extra offshoots from my Sempervivum collection, if that's what weird plant people like as well??

Man I would totally love to hang a pitcher plant in my kitchen:drac:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I'd be tempted to sign up, but I actually don't have much to divide right now besides a ton of purple iris and orange crocosmia bulbs which I'm not sure anybody would super want. I could get a big rear end packet of various seed together??

This might not be a problem next year; my plant buddy and I might go halfsies on a big rear end greenhouse to put in my backyard, that way we can overwinter plants better and would enable me to do some serious propagation and grafting (wife would NOT be down with me taking up more room in the house on plant poo poo). Would love to get something glass, around like 8x16 but drat these things are pricey. It's nice to shop around for these though, very exciting

In other news, picked up a cool plant the other day: stachyurus praecox. This has been a huge pain in the rear end to find, and I ended up getting "sterling silver," a nice cultivar with white edges on the leaves

This will ultimately become a nice big rear end bush with incredible winter flowers and nice fall color:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

There's a decent overview that gives some more information about cristate/monstrose succulents (and has a lot of cool pictures) someone posted on Dave's Garden years ago.

The fabled titty cactus :stare:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Spring would really be the time for plant swapping, I'd imagine? Digging things up to divide them right before first frost (here, anyway) seems unwise.

Oil of Paris posted:

This will ultimately become a nice big rear end bush with incredible winter flowers and nice fall color

This is rad—you have immaculate taste in shrubs.

Oil of Paris posted:

These aren't too hard to find now as someone produced a cultivar (Myrtillocactus geometrizans 'Fukurokuryuzinboku').

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 24, 2020

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Santa doesn't charge shipping, I wouldn't worry about it!

You're lovely <3 shall I PM you my address? Do you do tropicals at all or just carnivores? I'm happy to send some stuff your way too :)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

How many tribbles spider plants does everyone want?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oil of Paris posted:

Don’t tell any Mammilaria that you know

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

subpar anachronism posted:

You're lovely <3 shall I PM you my address? Do you do tropicals at all or just carnivores? I'm happy to send some stuff your way too :)

You can send me a PM if you like. I mostly do outdoor stuff, but I've got some stuff inside I can divide. My plan was to wait for a hard frost, take some hardwood cuttings, and then throw in some bulbs and tubers. Currently I'm waiting for dahlias to die back so I can dig them up and divide them. Still flowering though!

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

RickRogers posted:

Man I would totally love to hang a pitcher plant in my kitchen:drac:

If you don't mind waiting a while for a baby to grow up (or a cutting to regrow pitchers if they need to get clipped for transport), PM me your address and also details of your climate. I have a few alata clones I can dispense, and I might be able to get something out of my globosa. All my other neps are too wee still, because I'm a dweeb who likes species instead of hybrids.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I went around and took pictures of everything recently so that I know what is where in the spring and made notes on how things did/what needs to be moved next season/etc since there's no way I'll remember it all. I would encourage everyone else who lives where it gets cold to remember to do the same (also post some pictures, TIA).

I had made a post back in June after I had finished planting everything so here's a few updates (I have been slacking on weeding as we near the end of the season):

I ended up spreading a layer of pea gravel and putting in some rocks so everything looks a bit less lovely (and to hold some heat in the winter). All of those leaves poking out from under the skirt of the Yucca filamentosa 'Color Guard' are the ~15 babies it poo poo out after it flowered. I don't know what the gently caress I'm going to do with them all.

The Eryngium yuccifolium in the middle here has flowered like mad though it's a little thin now because I cut a bunch of it to dry. The dark red Euphorbia 'Nothowlee' took a long time to start growing but it is starting to look like an actual plant. I finally managed to get someone to sell me the Yucca rostrata 'Sapphire Skies' poking in from the edge of the photo.

The tiny Euphorbia myrsinites from the last post has put on a ton of growth even with the Sedum attempting to consume it—the striped Miscanthus overshadowing it used to be in a nice tidy bunch and then we had a big storm that blew it all over the place.

Someone gave me this plant in a little 1 quart pot and it has spread to a 3 or 4 foot patch in one season. Help! I don't even remember what it is but it sure looks like a variegated Delosperma. The two Andropogon gerardii 'Blackhawks' behind it took a long time to settle in but they have now put on some growth.

The Euphorbia cyparissias (also tidier before the storm blew it all over the place) and Euphorbia amygdaloides went in quite late but have filled out nicely. There's a Yucca baccata hiding in there as well as what I think is a red Hesperaloe parviflora (I rescued it from drowning at a Lowes while I was picking up some paving stones and their labelling sucks). I'm hoping both of them will put on some size next year.

The only thing that seems to have spent the entire season doing absolutely nothing is the Festuca glauca. The place I got them sent them in those biodegradable coconut fiber pots and suggested they get planted in them which I think totally hosed up their ability to root. I finally dug them up and cut off as much of the pots as I could but it was too late for this season.

Now I have a long off-season to wait and pray that I did enough amending to prevent this stuff from rotting in the ground over the winter :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ho-lee poo poo. :stwoon: I have got to find a place for this in my yard.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I went around and took pictures of everything recently so that I know what is where in the spring and made notes on how things did/what needs to be moved next season/etc since there's no way I'll remember it all. I would encourage everyone else who lives where it gets cold to remember to do the same (also post some pictures, TIA).

daaamn that looks great man! such strong growth from the initial planting, a real nice mix of color and texture

Wallet posted:

This is rad—you have immaculate taste in shrubs.

hah thank you! i really just appreciate anything that has multi-season interest, bc im just too lazy to have one of those bulb gardens or something where youve gotta do actual research and planning for max blooms every season. im always looking for winter blooms in particular; the plant delights guy tony avent gave a talk one time that boiled down to "plant for a winter garden" and that really resonated with me, since that will ensure that youve got a good, full landscape throughout the entire year. that really informs my criteria for a good plant

Hirayuki posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. :stwoon: I have got to find a place for this in my yard.

theyre very rare in the trade, as they are a true bitch to propagate; i had originally found this plant back in May at Camellia Forest Nursery, but the dude wouldnt sell it to me until September as he wanted to make sure that it had successfully rooted. youll either have to find a particularly weird plant person near you (my preferred strategy) or go mail order

stachyurus is a great plant that will accept a variety of growing conditions, needs a good amount of either morning light or all day filtered sun. the one part im struggling with is that it likes a little protection from wind (several sites say its a great choice to plant beside a wall), but i think ive decided on a bed where itll be happy enough. it is kind of big at 12ft with similar spread, but you can prune it like an azalea, immediately cutting back growth after it flowers if you need to do a hard prune

unfortunately, ive read that deer also think its badass and so my endless jihad must continue

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

daaamn that looks great man! such strong growth from the initial planting, a real nice mix of color and texture

Thanks! I'm lucky that most of what I wanted to plant this season is super drought tolerant. Everything else got absolutely hammered but the stuff in that bed was happy to get roasted.

Oil of Paris posted:

hah thank you! i really just appreciate anything that has multi-season interest, bc im just too lazy to have one of those bulb gardens or something where youve gotta do actual research and planning for max blooms every season.

I have a garden that I share with my neighbor that I planted for flowering but I mostly select for foliage. Around half of what I planted is evergreen because I don't want a depressing brown blob in the winter. It makes shopping for plants online a little weird because the pictures are always focused on the flowers and I just want to see what the rest of the plant looks like.

I didn't put in many shrubs this year but next year I'm planning to start doing some planting along my fence line where I put in some trees this year so I'll be shrub shopping. I know I want to get a Corylus avellana 'Contorta' (Harry Lauder's Walking Stick) and probably a Heptacodium miconioides, which I guess are both actually small trees, but I'm not sure what else. I have a really hard time finding shrubs that have interesting foliage and can survive our winters, so if you have any clever ideas (I'm in zone 6a) I'm all ears. Everyone around here seems to just be planting Arborvitae and Buxus for that mall parking lot aesthetic :barf:.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

theyre very rare in the trade, as they are a true bitch to propagate; i had originally found this plant back in May at Camellia Forest Nursery, but the dude wouldnt sell it to me until September as he wanted to make sure that it had successfully rooted. youll either have to find a particularly weird plant person near you (my preferred strategy) or go mail order
I found two places that sold it, both in OR; I didn't get any leads on a nursery selling it here in MI. Further searching led to more mentions of the sole nursery that had it in stock (and agreement that it was hardy to zone 6), so I took the plunge. Very very excited. We have a blank spot against our rear fence where we took out a pine; this will be beautiful for us and for the people driving past! Thanks again for introducing us. :)

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Hirayuki posted:

I found two places that sold it, both in OR; I didn't get any leads on a nursery selling it here in MI. Further searching led to more mentions of the sole nursery that had it in stock (and agreement that it was hardy to zone 6), so I took the plunge. Very very excited. We have a blank spot against our rear fence where we took out a pine; this will be beautiful for us and for the people driving past! Thanks again for introducing us. :)

Excellent! Glad you were able to pick one up. it will be totally cool up against that fence, thats great protection from the freezing wind that would usually be the deal breaker for zone 6

Wallet posted:

I didn't put in many shrubs this year but next year I'm planning to start doing some planting along my fence line where I put in some trees this year so I'll be shrub shopping. I know I want to get a Corylus avellana 'Contorta' (Harry Lauder's Walking Stick) and probably a Heptacodium miconioides, which I guess are both actually small trees, but I'm not sure what else. I have a really hard time finding shrubs that have interesting foliage and can survive our winters, so if you have any clever ideas (I'm in zone 6a) I'm all ears. Everyone around here seems to just be planting Arborvitae and Buxus for that mall parking lot aesthetic :barf:.

lol the first thing that came to mind is a plant that I'm currently probably killing: Enkianthus campanulatus. It would be much happier in zone 6 than my hot as gently caress zone 7

flowers:

habit:

fall foliage:

daphne translatica would be a great addition too since they have much welcome winter blooms, but much like the stachyurus would need protection from the winter winds. the only issue with daphnes is that they are not long lived plants at all but at least have the decency to die quickly and decisively instead of lingering on

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

lol the first thing that came to mind is a plant that I'm currently probably killing: Enkianthus campanulatus. It would be much happier in zone 6 than my hot as gently caress zone 7
I think I have the perfect spot for this based on what the internet is saying against a shady fence-line that stays on the moist side because of how the drainage is here.

I hadn't looked that closely at the requirements for Stachyurus praecox after the first few results said zone 7+ but it sounds like it might be able to squeak by here if I can shelter it. Marginal stuff makes me a bit nervous, though. I planted a trio of (ostensibly) cold-hearty crepe-myrtles that I'm going to spend all winter worrying about hoping they don't die back to the ground.

Oil of Paris posted:

daphne translatica would be a great addition too since they have much welcome winter blooms, but much like the stachyurus would need protection from the winter winds. the only issue with daphnes is that they are not long lived plants at all but at least have the decency to die quickly and decisively instead of lingering on

These have really nice foliage for an evergreen though it sounds like it's probably deciduous here (boo). 15 years seems like a decent run for a shrub.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

These have really nice foliage for an evergreen though it sounds like it's probably deciduous here (boo). 15 years seems like a decent run for a shrub.

haha that 15 years is pretty optimistic. daphnes known for being very temperamental plants that will just inexplicably and immediately die one day after years of living happily. ive heard to expect more like 4-5 years out of them, which to me is pretty acceptable, since theyre such a nice addition to the shade garden that you just resign yourself to buying another one down the road

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am thinking Very Hard about grafting a few of my cherry and peach trees. Mostly so I can cram a few more kinds of sweet cherries and a couple kinds of white peaches into the limited remaining space in my yard that gets full sun (at least until I can convince my dad to cut down a big useless oak tree or two).

Please help me get good at grafting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I. M. Gei posted:

Please help me get good at grafting.

you like ficuses? Try practicing on ficuses. DIY yourself a “ficus ginseng” with a trunk chop and 2-3 branches grafted to the resulting stump

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Carnivorous plants

I'd imagine that environmental laws would prevent some species crossing international and some provincial/state/territorial borders. That said, if someone from BC or maybe Canada wants some random cuttings and bulbs from my garden I'd be down to sign up.

The issue with crossing international borders is CITES Appendix I and II, and then the phytosanitary requirements of the receiving state. Some places like New Zealand are almost impossible to export to due to extremely strict sanitary requirements for live plants. Phytosanitary certificates for entering the United States aren't so bad, and can in principle be applied for by private individuals without too much expense.

The only carnivorous plants on Appendix I (the most restricted) are:

Nepenthes khasiana
Nepethes rajah
Sarracenia oreophila
Sarracenia rubra
ssp. alabamensis
Sarracenia rubra
ssp. jonesii

In addition, all Nepenthes, all Sarracenia, and the Venus flytrap (Dionaea muscipula) are on Appendix II, except the ones on Appendix I.

As a rule, you definitely don't want to gently caress with Appendix I. It's possible to do, but Appendix I is subject to a lot of scrutiny and it's not worth it as a private individual. Appendix II requires an export permit, but those aren't that hard to acquire, at least for Nepenthes in my experience. Non-listed plants don't need to deal with CITES. You can send seeds of Appendix II plants without any CITES consideration.

There's a real problem with CITES in respect to the regulation of plants, because it was designed, basically, to prevent the trade in stuff like elephant ivory, as well as live birds or w/e. Plants can be propagated clonally in the millions, and also produce things like seed and spores, which have no analogy in the animal kingdom. There have been calls to reform CITES to make international trade in plants easier, and to specifically aim at restricting the trade in wild-derived specimens, rather than propagated specimens, but that process is very slow-moving.

tl,dr: Most carnivorous plants can be sent internationally, but it's probably not worth doing so. Domestic trade regulations are governed by domestic laws, but many such regulations (such as the Endangered Species Act in the USA) will tend to reference the CITES appendices as a way to define threatened species. As a rule, if you're not selling, but just gifting, you're in much safer legal position.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

IIRC nepenthes are on the allowed list if you're accompanying personal plants over the border from US to Can without phyto or import, but not vice versa.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Weirdly, it's much easier to get plants into the US than to get them out as rule.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Anyone have any tips on keeping Boston ferns alive in containers outside in zone 8a? They are indoors now but I’m pretty sure their soil is moldy and causing allergy flare-ups.

They’re in big square plastic pots that I’d estimate are at least 5 gallons in volume.

Alternately, how do I de-mold their dirt? They like to have moist soil, so I don’t know how to avoid mold.

Edit: I prefer to have them inside - so any dirt de-molding suggestions are welcome. The internet says cinnamon works? I’ll probably trim and re-pot them in fresh dirt this weekend.

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 2, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ok Comboomer posted:

you like ficuses? Try practicing on ficuses. DIY yourself a “ficus ginseng” with a trunk chop and 2-3 branches grafted to the resulting stump

I reckon I could give that a shot. How long should it take before I notice if I hosed it up or not?

Also is it a good idea to graft trees during Fall/Winter dormancy? Most of the trees I’ll be working with are potted, but there’s a couple that are already in the ground outside and I’d like to do this stuff soonish if possible.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ghost Cactus posted:

Edit: I prefer to have them inside - so any dirt de-molding suggestions are welcome. The internet says cinnamon works? I’ll probably trim and re-pot them in fresh dirt this weekend.

Neem oil should definitely do it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

First sasanqua about to bloom. That means it's officially finally the pleasant part of the year here.

How is camellia foliage always so incredibly perfect?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Wallet posted:

Neem oil should definitely do it.

Awesome - I have some neem oil. Thanks!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I have some identification challenges for you all. I recently bought a house from a very old man who loves to garden. He's forgotten what he planted, and while I can get most of them, I'm still not sure about three plants.

#1 looks like an old azalea or something similar. It's got a lot of lichen going on.

#2 looks like a lily or something. I don't know but he's got part of the parameter lined with them.

#3 I'm not sure, mostly because it's done for the year. It's a grassy tuft with a flower spike.

It's going to be a journey of discovery come spring to see what all comes back.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I have some identification challenges for you all. I recently bought a house from a very old man who loves to garden. He's forgotten what he planted, and while I can get most of them, I'm still not sure about three plants.

#1 looks like an old azalea or something similar. It's got a lot of lichen going on.

#2 looks like a lily or something. I don't know but he's got part of the parameter lined with them.

#3 I'm not sure, mostly because it's done for the year. It's a grassy tuft with a flower spike.

It's going to be a journey of discovery come spring to see what all comes back.

#1 does look like an azalea/rhododendron of some sort, but no idea what. #2 looks like a calla lily. Happened to wikipedia it to get the scientific name and it looks exactly like this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zantedeschia_elliottiana

Looks like an amazing garden-post more pics!

E: #3 is liatris maybe?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I. M. Gei posted:

I reckon I could give that a shot. How long should it take before I notice if I hosed it up or not?

Also is it a good idea to graft trees during Fall/Winter dormancy? Most of the trees I’ll be working with are potted, but there’s a couple that are already in the ground outside and I’d like to do this stuff soonish if possible.

Graft just as the tree is leaving dormancy, not in the middle of dormancy or the middle of the growing season.

The cuts to make depend on many factors, including the species, the size of the host and scion, and the time of year, but I’m a big fan of the whip and tongue graft when it’s suitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7blxoFfJC4I

He wraps the union to put pressure on it and protect it from the elements and from drying out. The stuff he’s using is Parafilm. It’s a waxy tape developed to seal flasks and such in the laboratory, and it’s perfect for grafting. It’s stretchy, it bonds to itself and forms a watertight seal when stretched, and it’s not so durable that it will strangle the plant if it’s left on.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 5, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I should probably say a little about the principles of grafting.

Trees grow only from a tiny layer of cells between the park and the wood, called the “cambium”. These cells are constantly multiplying, pushing bark outward and leaving structural wood behind them, toward the core of the trunk or branch.

For a graft to take, there has to be contact between the cambium of the host and the cambium of the scion. Only the cells of the cambium can grow into each other and heal the wound.

The asymmetric placement in this cleft graft is, perhaps counterintuitively, correct. If it were centred, there would be no cambium contact and the graft would be doomed.

It is also possible to angle the cuts on the scion and the alignment to get four points of contact. The way it’s done in the image above gets two lines of contact, which can work, but the danger with that is that if the piece is slightly too far in or out, the lines will be parallel and separated by a tiny distance, resulting in zero contact. Angling it makes is so the cambium lines have to cross at four points.

With a bark graft, commonly used on older trees the idea is that by separating the bark, a nearly flat face of cambium is exposed. The scion is slipped in against this, and lines of cambium exposed by the cut in it come into full contact with this face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0bc0GlXj0

Walnuts are notoriously recalcitrant, so they have to be forced into huge areas of contact.

Every grafting technique is, in one way or another, about getting the cambium of the parts into contact and allowing them to go about their healing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 5, 2020

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I just got a MASSIVE haul of houseplants (well... Porch plants, for now) from my mom, and I was wondering:

Can anyone reccomend a good collection tracking app that will remind you when things need watering? I don't mind if I have to input a bit of info on each plant since obviously they are sometimes not OSFA, but.. drat I know these are going to be overwatered if I don't do something!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Got a pretty good haul from the JC Raulston Plant Giveaway on Saturday. Usually its a semi-coordinated free-for-all where you go and wrestle weird plants away from nice old ladies, but this year they just had people drive up and get a grab bag or two, depending on how many people are on your membership

Our score included:

Magnolia tripetala- umbrella magnolia
Hemerocallis "Mary Todd" - daylily
Kerria japonica "Fubuki NIshiki"- variegated Japanese kerria
Sempervivum "Neptune"- Chick Charms Silver Suede hen and chicks
Carex oshimensis "Everillo" - variegated Japanese sedge (x2)
Ilex integra "Ogon"- golden Nepal holly
Ficus carica "Jolly Tiger"- variegated tiger fig
Manettia cordifolia- firecracker vine
Pinus engelmannii- Apache pine

Very pleased with the umbrella magnolia, I've wanted one for a little while now but its either been out of stock or outrageously expensive. Most are in the ground now but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the fig, the firecracker vine, and particularly the pine. It has some of the largest needles of any pine, but it gets like 100 feet tall at maturity. I'm definitely going to plant it to continue my inadvertent "check out the giant fuckin leaves on this thing" theme, but siting will prove an issue with that kind of size

Hopefully deer will not gently caress with it if I have to stick it in the way back!! theyve already taken several leaves off of the stachyurus before I erected a cage around him yesterday

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Got a pretty good haul from the JC Raulston Plant Giveaway on Saturday. Usually its a semi-coordinated free-for-all where you go and wrestle weird plants away from nice old ladies, but this year they just had people drive up and get a grab bag or two, depending on how many people are on your membership

Our score included:

Very pleased with the umbrella magnolia, I've wanted one for a little while now but its either been out of stock or outrageously expensive. Most are in the ground now but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the fig, the firecracker vine, and particularly the pine. It has some of the largest needles of any pine, but it gets like 100 feet tall at maturity. I'm definitely going to plant it to continue my inadvertent "check out the giant fuckin leaves on this thing" theme, but siting will prove an issue with that kind of size

Hopefully deer will not gently caress with it if I have to stick it in the way back!! theyve already taken several leaves off of the stachyurus before I erected a cage around him yesterday

That pine sounds neat. I've always figured that for some reason mountain west pines wouldn't do well in the SE, but it's worth a try! Are the needles even bigger than a longleaf pine?

You definitely need a bigleaf magnolia too, it seems.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Oil of Paris posted:

Our score included:

I would recommend against a watering app, especially with the seasons changing. You're likely to end up overwatering everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Snip snip motherfuckers

(the blob is my friend's kid)

We are making slow but steady progress in the neglected-for-a-year-because-covid butterfly garden - cleared half a bed of four-o-clocks for later milkweed planting, chopped all the young trees, started to uncover and re-mulch the overgrown paths, and pulled a bunch of mugwort (we will probably need to use more drastic measures there though). I'm going tomorrow by myself to see if I can get the milkweed bed totally prepped for planting later this week.

I wanted to ask today about the goldenrod though, which you can see in the foreground. It has all collapsed like that and is just splayed all over the place currently. It probably should have been cut back by half in the late spring. My research suggests I can trim it way down in the winter - but how far down? Can I cut it all the way to the ground?