Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1311592381125451776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Who specifically are you thinking of?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing entirely, as I do think there are some players United have mismanaged over the years, I think a far bigger problem has been wasting money on bad buys.

I suppose you could argue Di Maria was mismanaged but he very much mismanaged himself as well. Saha probably? Rafael and Evans should never have been sold. As far as the big money purchases, I think most of them were spectacularly bad investments where Woodward imagined himself building a team of galacticos rather than a team of players that would work together. Schweinsteiger is the prime example of "never ever ever buy a player from bayern if they're actively trying to sell him".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheRat posted:

I suppose you could argue Di Maria was mismanaged but he very much mismanaged himself as well. Saha probably? Rafael and Evans should never have been sold. As far as the big money purchases, I think most of them were spectacularly bad investments where Woodward imagined himself building a team of galacticos rather than a team of players that would work together. Schweinsteiger is the prime example of "never ever ever buy a player from bayern if they're actively trying to sell him".

You'll never sell James milner with that attitude

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheRat posted:

Di Maria never wanted to go to Utd but was loving amazing up until some cunts robbed his house

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheRat posted:

I suppose you could argue Di Maria was mismanaged but he very much mismanaged himself as well.

Di Maria was fine until his house got robbed, and his family decided they wanted to get the gently caress out of Manchester ASAP after which his heart wasn't in it anymore.

quote:

Saha probably? Rafael and Evans should never have been sold.

Saha played five seasons for United, and did fine IMO. He was never going to be the number one striker in a team full of Ronaldos, Rooneys and Tevezes. Saha also arrived at United in 2003, so if we're going that far back we're seriously grasping at straws.

Rafael and Evans should never have been sold, agreed, but they don't fit the "players who were excellent before United ruined them" claim, at all. Rafael had 7 seasons at United, did well and was respected. He could have been used more and pushing him out of the door was one of van Gaal's biggest gently caress-ups, agreed, but he arrived as a kid with his brother.

And Jonny Evans was a United academy graduate, so again...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pau Pogbo

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
i wish my club was in a position where signing two players for £75m each was acceptable and affordable

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That is seriously one of the better shouts, IMO. He was excellent at Juve, arrived with fanfare at United, and then noted stable person and world's greatest man-manager Jose Mourinho decided to make him public enemy number 1 and his scapegoat for all of the world's ills. He's been played out of position, used in ways that don't take advantage of his skills at all, and expected to carry a team of poo poo cloggers for months and months.

Realistically Pogba probably should have been sold after all that, because even though he's looked a lot better under Solskjaer (well, not right now, but hopefully soon) his relationship with the club was probably soiled permanently by the unpleasantness and the Mourinho-truther segment of the fanbase still keeping that banner flying high.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I assumed Rat meant Zaha

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

I assumed Rat meant Zaha

TBH he hosed himself almost literally by loving Moyes' daughter, after which he surprisingly didn't get many opportunities anymore.

But yes, Zaha, properly coached and managed, should have been a useful player for many years. I would also count Memphis in that crowd, because while he probably was never going to be Ronaldo 2.0, he was also used extremely poorly, before getting shoved out the door.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Van Gaal letting Chicharito leave on loan and then permanently was a total farce.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Saha played five seasons for United,

Sorry, me dumb, I meant Zaha

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zaha has really vehemently denied that, he says he never even met her.

kcer posted:

i wish my club was in a position where signing two players for £75m each was acceptable and affordable

Your club has 15 million more net spend over the last 5 years. The Saudi thing didn't work out, but you could try not being a club of idiots from top to bottom.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

. I would also count Memphis in that crowd, because while he probably was never going to be Ronaldo 2.0, he was also used extremely poorly, before getting shoved out the door.

Rumour has it Memphis had the Adnan problems with massive attitude issues.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brendan Rodgers posted:

He has, but players who were around back then have pretty much outright said that's what happened. Ultimately we'll probably never know, but of course Zaha would vehemently deny it, it doesn't exactly paint him in a great picture.

TheRat posted:

Rumour has it Memphis had the Adnan problems with massive attitude issues.

I could believe that. He also wouldn't have been helped by being managed by van Gaal (who criticised him as too aggressive and reckless. Remember, this is the manager who made players explain in front of the team why they took 'needless shots' or lost the ball) and then Mourinho, who is precisely the type of manager to decide he just doesn't like you and then not give you any opportunities to prove him wrong.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Players have confirmed it? That's news to me

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I actually read a peer reviewed white paper aboit it written by non other than ryan giggs

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

I think Evra recently had to apologise live on Sky for saying Zaha slept with Moyes' daughter. Not that that actually confirms anything other than him having heard a rumour, though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TBH I would have absolutely no problem believing the real explanation is "David Moyes is a useless poo poo of a manager".

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

You don't have to be a poo poo to be a poo poo manager but he is a poo poo manager

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Your club has 15 million more net spend over the last 5 years. The Saudi thing didn't work out, but you could try not being a club of idiots from top to bottom.

you ok mate?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

kcer posted:

Tbf if you are talking about Liverpool, that money came almost exclusively from selling Coutinho.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Der Shovel posted:

TBH he hosed himself almost literally by loving Moyes' daughter, after which he surprisingly didn't get many opportunities anymore.

before the thread moves on we would like to clarify about this comment made earlier by one of our posters, we understand that zaha has never met moyes' daughter and that the claim made by der shovel was false and we apologize for any offense caused

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

It’s a strange version of “cock or no cock” tbh

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

Who specifically are you thinking of?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing entirely, as I do think there are some players United have mismanaged over the years, I think a far bigger problem has been wasting money on bad buys.

Most of em, like Lukaku comes to mind - did an excellent job at his previous club, seems to be flourishing at Inter now.

Good coaching can take players that aren't even world beaters and make them excellent parts of your team (thinking of for example wijnaldum at liverpool), look at the talent man united have splurged on over the years and compare it to Ferguson's last title winning team and tell me they weren't improvements on paper that were turned into dross by lovely coaching.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

trem_two posted:

I can't see much harm in signing Cavani on a free transfer, as long as it's not some 3+ year deal.

On a scale of Falcao to Zlatan, I can see him being a solid Schweinsteiger

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mila kunis posted:

Most of em, like Lukaku comes to mind - did an excellent job at his previous club, seems to be flourishing at Inter now.

42 goals in 96 games for United, that's pretty much the same ratio he had at Everton and Anderlecht and certainly not "ruined" levels.

And I'm not surprised he's flourishing in Serie A. Even Ashley Young is looking good in Italy, because the game isn't nearly as physically demanding as it is in the Premier League.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
What happened with Depay? United seemed to give up on the guy really early even though he was young and was bought for the long term. I remember the howler of a match against Stoke, but every player has a bad match.

I always liked Mkhitaryan, but United fans I see online seem to view him as a bust.

Schneiderlin fizzled out after looking really good at Southampton, but from what I read on GOT, that’s more on his lack of work ethic than on anything at United. I don’t know the story there either.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Schneiderlin is the weirdest one for me. I was really really excited when he signed, but my god what a disaster he was.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lukaku fell off at United when he got fat for Belgium and Jose thought he could use him as Drogba 2.0. So he'd be huffing and puffing about with long balls being fired at him with the usual Lukaku 1-in-3 first touch.

I liked Mkhitaryan and wondered how much of his performances was Jose but he didn't work out at Arsenal either so :shrug: (not that that's any sort of indication of anything)

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I liked Mkhitaryan as well. He seemed like a confidence player and something broke which made him extremely poo poo.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1311740835780874243

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Paying £25m for a Norwich defender is certainly a decision

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Everton spunked a combined total of £55m on Walcott and Iwobi lol they're poo poo at transfers

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
liverpool honestly haven't really gotten a ton of transfer funds under FSG, they just manage to keep getting teams to overpay for players for some baffling reason

speaking of whats solanke up to these days

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1311639933900206085

Barca supposedly beat out Bayern for him. Dunno if he'll pan out there, but it's kinda neat to see at least

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bewbies posted:

liverpool honestly haven't really gotten a ton of transfer funds under FSG, they just manage to keep getting teams to overpay for players for some baffling reason

speaking of whats solanke up to these days

he tripled his lifetime Premier League goalscoring record in a single match and now he plays in the Championship

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Real Name Grover posted:

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1311639933900206085

Barca supposedly beat out Bayern for him. Dunno if he'll pan out there, but it's kinda neat to see at least

That’s one of the sadder looking locker rooms I’ve seen. Creepy even.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1311741698771427329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is a bizarrely good deal. Try before you buy.

https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1311928550677716994