Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exmachina posted:

Reamde was deliberately an attempt to make an 'airport novel' adventure. It's pulpyness is part of it's charm. Def not his best work, but fun in a stupid way.

I was way more invested in the MMO drama that just kind of fizzled than I was in the worlds longest and worst paced terrorist chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

_Loser_ posted:

I got the first edition of the prior folio society one which was like $120 originally. But this? Holy cash grab batman. And to make it worse it comes with a failson book as well. Oh and it's only 700 bucks. What the gently caress.

Sold out

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

juggalo baby coffin posted:

or you can just say 'a massive desert world' and be done with it.

One of the things I really like is that he didn't just do that, as Kynes and other characters explicitly point out that a single-biome planet doesn't make ecological sense and that there has to be some unseen force driving it in that direction. The whole sandtrout/sandworm cycle is left fairly vague, and even the info we do get is presented as the best hypothesis by in-universe characters, which leaves plenty of room for error.

I'm sure this is where someone says how one of the sequel books spends an entire chapter detailing every facet of sandworm biology and lifecycle with illustrated diagrams.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah it's in the sweet spot where Frank obviously did enough background work to make you trust that it all kinda makes sense but there's a lot of mystery (some of which is revealed as part of the story)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of the things I really like is that he didn't just do that, as Kynes and other characters explicitly point out that a single-biome planet doesn't make ecological sense and that there has to be some unseen force driving it in that direction.

Then every 2nd tier fantasy author in the 70s ignored the implication and just had everything be jungle world or ice world or whatever. It's such an important point in the book that everyone 'in the know' about Arrakis understands but there's just a conspiracy of silence while everybody plunders the planet.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

phasmid posted:

Then every 2nd tier fantasy author in the 70s ignored the implication and just had everything be jungle world or ice world or whatever. It's such an important point in the book that everyone 'in the know' about Arrakis understands but there's just a conspiracy of silence while everybody plunders the planet.

The Sandworm lifecycle and it's relationship to the spice is not widely known. I would say it was limited to the fremen, the sisterhood and the guild.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

phasmid posted:

I'm sure a lot of later sci-fi definitely traces that inspiration to Dune (hi Tatooine), but I wouldn't be surprised if the idea popped up a lot earlier in the genre. I'm not knowledgeable enough about early sci-fi to say for sure but it really seems to resonate with a 30's/40's pulp sci-fi aesthetic. This week Buck Rogers goes to the Forest Planet! (because we shot this episode in Angeles national forest). Next week, he visits the Tilted Rock Planet! (because we cheaped out and went to Vasquez Rocks again) I could be wrong though.

Definitely overdone and a cheap world-building crutch though. There's a great bit in an episode of Stargate where a wormhole malfunction spits the team out into a barren ice cavern and they assume they're on some remote ice planet... until it turns out they're actually on Earth, in Antarctica.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of the things I really like is that he didn't just do that, as Kynes and other characters explicitly point out that a single-biome planet doesn't make ecological sense and that there has to be some unseen force driving it in that direction. The whole sandtrout/sandworm cycle is left fairly vague, and even the info we do get is presented as the best hypothesis by in-universe characters, which leaves plenty of room for error.

I'm sure this is where someone says how one of the sequel books spends an entire chapter detailing every facet of sandworm biology and lifecycle with illustrated diagrams.

i meant more in terms of like the specific dimensions of arrakis, rather than the mystery of its single biome. theres no real reason to add that info in specific if youre not sure. just say it's big or earth-ish or whatever.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

i meant more in terms of like the specific dimensions of arrakis, rather than the mystery of its single biome. theres no real reason to add that info in specific if youre not sure. just say it's big or earth-ish or whatever.

Oh yeah, totally. Specific numbers are often the bane of a sci-fi writer. There's a popular story about how the dimensions and masses David Weber originally gave for ships in the Honor Harrington series meant the ships were roughly the density of smoke, which caused him to go back and adjust things by a few orders of magnitude after that was pointed out.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"Desert planet" hits harder than "earth-ish but with more sand"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Dune, arizona-but-without-all-the-meth planet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bubblyblubber posted:

Dune, arizona-but-without-all-the-meth the-meth-makes-you-see-the-future-and-occasionally-commit-some-light-jihad planet

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Herbert never gave dimensions for Arrakis, but he did give the distance between Carthag and Arrakeen (~200km), which, compared against their locations in the map at the back of the book, yields a much smaller than expected circumference for Arrakis once you do the math.

Herbert didn't do the (printed) map illustration. He probably made a sketch and gave the final version, inked by somebody else, a quick once-over. The printed map itself has obvious typos (OH Gap instead of Old Gap, for example), so taking it as gospel and extrapolating the planet's size from it is also potentially dubious. The precise geography of Arrakis isn't important to the story, pointing out technical contradictions between text and supplementary materials is just a time honored nerd tradition.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The map is in-universe guild disinformation and you bozos fell for it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As someone mentioned it’s esp interesting because arrakis isn’t a dessert planet at all

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

As someone mentioned it’s esp interesting because arrakis isn’t a dessert planet at all

It is if you eat it after your main course.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is this some dinner party hidden meaning thing

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

euphronius posted:

Is this some dinner party hidden meaning thing

Everything is.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

exmachina posted:

Reamde was deliberately an attempt to make an 'airport novel' adventure. It's pulpyness is part of it's charm. Def not his best work, but fun in a stupid way.

you know, i thought that might be the case. a preview of it was in the back of...uh, whatever he wrote before that, which was not fantastic, but that preview made me think he was making an attempt at self-parody

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Everything is.

For the doggie bag.... NOTHING

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

For the doggie bag.... NOTHING

Doggie bag? Are you suggesting the Duke's son is an animal?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Doggie bag? Are you suggesting the Duke's son is an animal?

Let us say I suggest you may be a gourmand.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I love this thread so much.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Let us say I suggest you may be a gourmand.

Kull Wahad

No woman child ever ate that much.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

davidspackage posted:

Kull Wahad

No woman child ever ate that much.

What's in the box?
Pain.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

What's in the box?
Pain.

Golfclaps frenchly

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The only thing you have to fear is carbs.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Doc Hawkins posted:

you know, i thought that might be the case. a preview of it was in the back of...uh, whatever he wrote before that, which was not fantastic, but that preview made me think he was making an attempt at self-parody

He cannot do parody even if he tries. Snow Crash, for example, was supposed to be parody, but turned out to be far more prophetic than Neuromancer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

eSports Chaebol posted:

He cannot do parody even if he tries. Snow Crash, for example, was supposed to be parody, but turned out to be far more prophetic than Neuromancer.

huh

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I just spent way too much time to figure out what the actual projection of Frank's map is. It bothers me to no end that the circle of latitude nearer the equator is unlabeled.
poo poo's hosed, yo. Frank didn't know no good mapmaking magics.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 1, 2020

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i mean the one good part of snow crash did predict uber eats / skip the dishes / door dash

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i mean the one good part of snow crash did predict uber eats / skip the dishes / door dash

I think total bullshit grift amalgamated strip mall brand name megachurches were pretty well lampooned in snow crash before ever existing in any quantity

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

We live in the parody cyberpunk reality today. Also, a crazy religious business tycoon really did get caught illegally importing cuneiform tablets from the Middle East. Just sayin'

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Tree Bucket posted:

What's in the box?
Marchpane.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The itching... becomes... burning. Heat... upon heat... upon heat.

Can I have a glass of milk?

Silence!! Silence!!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

"It is by milk alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the sauce of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire heat, the heat becomes a warning. It is by milk alone I set my mind in motion."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

eSports Chaebol posted:

He cannot do parody even if he tries. Snow Crash, for example, was supposed to be parody

:captainpop:

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Look, just because your hero, your story's protagonist, is named Hiro Protagonist, that doesn't mean it started out as parody.

woop
Mar 25, 2006
wooooooooop
Y'all didn't think about bug planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This week Buck Rogers goes to the Forest Planet! (because we shot this episode in Angeles national forest). Next week, he visits the Tilted Rock Planet! (because we cheaped out and went to Vasquez Rocks again) I could be wrong though.

"They vaporized into a mystical love radiation that spread across the universe, destroying many, many planets, including two gangster planets and a cowboy world."