Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the US, lots of companies use the opposite system and anything less than perfect is a failure.

And lots of morons don’t know this so reviews will be like “awesome! Great food, great service, babysat my kids for the complimentary handjob. Parking lot was crowded though. 3/5.”

It's also impossible to be perfect in the US. For every high mark you get, you get one or more low marks to even it all out to a 3/5 across the board. Unless of course you're smoking buddies with the manager, or the manager's manager, then you'll get promoted if you try to quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Just chop 'em all, you can never have too much garlic

As someone with acid reflux, this sentiment is my pet peeve, because, oh yes, I can have too much garlic. :(

But also, acid reflux aside, I just don't like eating super-garlic-heavy dishes, because A) it usually completely overpowers all the other flavors, and B) it leaves you with terrible breath.

(Heh, I just remembered -- when I was growing up, my family had a pact that when we went out to a restaurant, we could only order garlicky dishes if everyone else did, too, so that we'd all stink together. :kimchi:)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like my garlic balanced with onion and ginger

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rabbit Hill posted:

As someone with acid reflux, this sentiment is my pet peeve, because, oh yes, I can have too much garlic. :(

But also, acid reflux aside, I just don't like eating super-garlic-heavy dishes, because A) it usually completely overpowers all the other flavors, and B) it leaves you with terrible breath.

(Heh, I just remembered -- when I was growing up, my family had a pact that when we went out to a restaurant, we could only order garlicky dishes if everyone else did, too, so that we'd all stink together. :kimchi:)

If you don't like the smell of garlic, there is something seriously wrong with you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

If you don't like the smell of garlic, there is something seriously wrong with you

Garlic smells nice, not garlic breath and sweat

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Iron Crowned posted:

Wario's SA account spotted

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
overusing garlic is a noob cook’s way out of being unable to balance flavors correctly :colbert:

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Youtube ads are getting out of control, especially since everyone started working from home and, I assume, providing a more captive audience.

A 20 second ad to watch a 4 min video. Two unskippable 10 sec ads. Makes me want to watch less youtube not more. On desktop I can block them but no such luck with the iphone app (and i do use the app features rather than the web interface so I think I'm stuck).

Don't get me started on the 'fill out this survey to help our advertisers'. Who would do this? Who would provide companies with this information for free???

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Generally I find if the garlic tastes too pungent, unpleasant, or overpowering it wasn't cooked enough, or it was burned. Garlic!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Don't get me started on the 'fill out this survey to help our advertisers'. Who would do this? Who would provide companies with this information for free???

I do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You legitimately should never fill out a company survey when prompted, it's almost always going to be used as ammo against employees the company thinks they could stand to get rid of. There's nothing to be gained from it on your end and it might get someone else in trouble even if your review is positive.

Edit: and stuff like asking you what types of ads you want to be bombarded with is just comical. If you get asked that, the group doing the asking probably already knows enough about you to know what your answer would've been should you not respond.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Oct 1, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate wide eyed nonsense in popular science, poo poo about contact with aliens or dyson spheres or space elevators or mars bases or warp drives or whatever, none of that is ever going to happen for a variety of reasons, undue optimism annoys me in general

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

like "we can travel to the stars within our lifetimes, all we need to do is invent negative mass/create an artificial black hole and capture it in a magnetic field/invent human cryonization" regardless of the fact that none of that poo poo can actually be feasibly done. then usually the bullshit about "technology levels" and the kardachev scale comes rolling out. this kind of person usually also likes elon musk

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

CJacobs posted:

You legitimately should never fill out a company survey when prompted, it's almost always going to be used as ammo against employees the company thinks they could stand to get rid of. There's nothing to be gained from it on your end and it might get someone else in trouble even if your review is positive.

When I worked in customer support, a customer not filling out a survey was a mark against me and also made the "bad" (9/10 instead of 10/10) reviews count more. I always just fill them out 10/10 down the page :shrug:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

CJacobs posted:

most places that have employee surveys, the employees will get in trouble if their response rate (the percentage of their customers who fill out the survey at all) is too low. the ONLY thing you should do with those surveys is: answer them; give the highest score on every single metric; DO NOT write in ANYTHING free-form in the comments sections (because that could be misinterpreted or twisted etc)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Amazon have started adding a 'rate your delivery' link after a package has been dropped off. Absolutely no way I'm doing that, because you know for sure it's gonna result in people getting fired. Even if someone just hurls a package at my front door in the pouring rain, I don't want them to lose their jobs.

Yes, i realise that any moral high ground taken as an amazon customer is not a very high high ground at all.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Killingyouguy! posted:

I always just fill them out 10/10 down the page.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Youtube ads are getting out of control, especially since everyone started working from home and, I assume, providing a more captive audience.

A 20 second ad to watch a 4 min video. Two unskippable 10 sec ads. Makes me want to watch less youtube not more. On desktop I can block them but no such luck with the iphone app (and i do use the app features rather than the web interface so I think I'm stuck).

You can possibly cut them out entirely, even on an iPhone, with a PiHole:
https://pi-hole.net/

There's plenty of guides for even non-technical people. Though obviously only works at home.

Another possible thing to try, if an iPhone allows it, is to use an ad-blocking DNS server like Ad-Guard

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

CJacobs posted:

Edit: and stuff like asking you what types of ads you want to be bombarded with is just comical. If you get asked that, the group doing the asking probably already knows enough about you to know what your answer would've been should you not respond.

Pet peeve: these ad companies have got to have at LEAST a decade's worth of information and purchase history on me and they STILL can't target ads towards me for the life of them. They just go "oh, feeemale? makeup. perfume. pregnancy test... thrush cream. tampons" despite the fact I have never once bought or used makeup/perfume/tampons in my life and don't plan on ever getting pregnant. I've also never needed cream for down under because I don't USE that thing for anything

I miss when Youtube ads on my phone were quick recipes. I actually watched those because I like watching people make food :saddowns: I mean I'd rather they *not* target ads towards me, but as long as I have no say in the matter, please let me look at tasty food if you're going to hold me up for 10 seconds before a video

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
If you go into your Google account settings, you can see the demographic info on how they're personalizing ads and be amused at how wrong it is. I binge watched a YouTube series on World War I small arms and Google spent almost a full year convinced I was a 55 year old woman that loving LOVES Home Depot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the algorithmic nature of modern websites has taught me the habit of just browsing incognito half the time if i kind of want to read or watch something but dont want the algorithm to get ideas about it, besides using scriptkillers and adblockers etc

i think ive finally taught youtube to never even mention ted talks to me, although they still pop up occasionally in searches, ive told those videos to gently caress off so often that i think even the stubborn algorithm understood and filed me under "elitist snob"

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Regarding peeling garlic:

Take as many cloves as you need off the bulb, and cut off that little hard part at the bottom.
Put the unpeeled cloves into a small tupperware container, and pour a little bit of olive oil over top of them.
Let it soak in for like 2 minutes, then put the lid on, and shake it like your life depends on it for 30-60 seconds.
The peel slides off.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Shibawanko posted:

i think ive finally taught youtube to never even mention ted talks to me, although they still pop up occasionally in searches, ive told those videos to gently caress off so often that i think even the stubborn algorithm understood and filed me under "elitist snob"

Finally, someone else who doesn’t like ted talks! I don’t get why they’re so popular, whenever i complain about being forced to watch one for a class (god why do they get assigned so often) i hear “oh well maybe you haven’t seen one of the good ones yet”. No, I’ve seen enough of them and hate motivational/productivity type bullshit, leave me alone :argh:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Myer Briggs personality types/nerd horoscopes.
You know the ones, where people just pick one of 16 'personality types' that fit/flatter their self image the most, and which has zero basis in actual psychology.

And that of course makes people trust it and use it as an indicator of.... whatever. It's especially cargoculted in some business practices because they love loving metrics that have no bearing on reality.

Met a guy online who felt it was required to bring up his MB personality on first introduction, and I do not think I've lost the will to speak to someone that quickly before.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

SubNat posted:

The Myer Briggs personality types/nerd horoscopes.
You know the ones, where people just pick one of 16 'personality types' that fit/flatter their self image the most, and which has zero basis in actual psychology.

And that of course makes people trust it and use it as an indicator of.... whatever. It's especially cargoculted in some business practices because they love loving metrics that have no bearing on reality.

Met a guy online who felt it was required to bring up his MB personality on first introduction, and I do not think I've lost the will to speak to someone that quickly before.

Strongly agree. MB is just horoscopes for HR nerds. Our entire finance department at work is required to take the test and post their results and personal thoughts about it on the whiteboard outside their cubicle. At best it's self-indulgent navel gazing, at worst it's pigeon holing yourself and your employees into static, one dimensional archetypes for no reason at all. Not all of us struggle that badly with our sense of identity, Susan.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
We had to do something similar for my work called Whole Brain and it's the same poo poo. It was like a 30-40 question test and based on that it told you what type of person you were. It went into detail about how you balanced your personality and assigned it a color and then also told you how you shifted between colors when you got stressed. I have no idea how it does this because it didn't ask questions while I was stressed or even offer leading questions like "When you're stressed do you...".

The downfall is of course people answer the questions based on how they think they are personality-wise, not how they actually are.

But of course since the company spent like $250k on everyone to take this dumbass test and fly us to NY to meet with the creators it's taken as gospel.

I swear if I hear someone go "ahah you're being so red today!" I'm going to lose it

Which goes against my stress color because I supposedly keep it together well under stress

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Coworkers who do not stay organized, especially when it means my emails to them get lost in their inbox. "But email is so hard to stay on top of tee hee!" then you haven't done your job of learning your tools. Filter your inbox more aggressively. Delete or archive what's outdated. Make going through your filter folders a daily task at LEAST. I shouldn't have to instant message you to ask if you got my email.

E: and if my instant messages to you get lost somehow, wtf are you even doing

Related, when people have like 20 applications all running at once. You can't possibly be using all of those for your current task! Clean up a little bit! You'll stop feeling so overwhelmed!

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Oct 7, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

Related, when people have like 20 applications all running at once. You can't possibly be using all of those for your current task! Clean up a little bit! You'll stop feeling so overwhelmed!

Related: People who have 20 things open and then go 'oh whoops lol it's a bit slow sometimes.'
I wonder why.
'oh hey I could have sworn I had it here' *begins hunting through a row of microscopic tabs*

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On corona peeves.
It is so loving surreal to take for example the bus or subway, and basically everyone is masked up.
Straight up did not see a single person without a mask when I had to take the subway a couple days ago.
Then you take a step onto the street, or go to a store, and there's not a single mask in sight anywhere.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What subway are you riding? I'd be too scared to leave the house if I hadn't managed to get corona as soon as poo poo started going down.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I was working in a Dollar General in Bumfuck, Ohio and not a single goddamn customer that I saw wore a mask. I was there for 7 hours. There were signs for masks and everything, and none of them got called out. Also, I keep seeing parents and kids walking around without masks while the kid has a cough. Once in a health food store.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

rodbeard posted:

What subway are you riding? I'd be too scared to leave the house if I hadn't managed to get corona as soon as poo poo started going down.

I'm in Norway, things are starting to ramp up again, but it's not too bad for necessary travel.
It was only 20% full, and it was that or walk for 2 hours to get to my psych.(or take a bus/tram, which would be fuller)

We've still got pretty low numbers compared to the rest of europe.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I broke the drat yolk of the one of the eggs I was having for breakfast and now my whole day is ruined.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Love 2 b distracted and frustrated the better part of a day because my neighbour does super loving loud, super irregular drilling and hammering construction/renovation work.
While the noise is loud and pretty loving awful, the far worse part is the completely random lengths of time between it. Often just enough for you to relax and wonder if it's done before BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SubNat posted:

Love 2 b distracted and frustrated the better part of a day because my neighbour does super loving loud, super irregular drilling and hammering construction/renovation work.
While the noise is loud and pretty loving awful, the far worse part is the completely random lengths of time between it. Often just enough for you to relax and wonder if it's done before BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

I live in an apartment, and I don't know what it is but my neighbor just pound away on their counter at semi-regular times in their kitchen. Otherwise I rarely hear noise coming from nextdoor.

Sometime between 6-8 am, 11am-1pm, and 5-7pm. It's only for a few minutes and it's obvious food related, but it's annoying, and I want to know what it is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When shows try to pass off Vancouver as Chicago or LA or somewhere that is definitely not similar to Vancouver.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When shows try to pass off Vancouver as Chicago or LA or somewhere that is definitely not similar to Vancouver.

Works pretty well for Seattle and Portland though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I know I received this ring I bought online. I know I never wore it outside. So where the gently caress is it! My apartment is pretty small, there's only so many locations it could be! But I've checked everywhere! How did I manage to lose something in my own home!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

I know I received this ring I bought online. I know I never wore it outside. So where the gently caress is it! My apartment is pretty small, there's only so many locations it could be! But I've checked everywhere! How did I manage to lose something in my own home!!

I swear I always lose small things underneath a piece of paper. LIke I'll spend an hour looking for something I just had, only to find out that I had put the electric bill on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Our fire stick remote went missing in our last apartment and I was sure we'd find it during the move, but nope! Where did it go? We strip cleaned that entire place and it never showed up.