Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

tonedef131 posted:

I love this drink but always fear the overly sweet Disney World recipe has turned a lot of people off. I drop the simple all together and sub in white rum for some of the coconut rum. It ends up looking similar to yours but still does use coconut rum instead of cream, which I prefer as you get a less viscous texture allowing it to further differentiate itself from a Pina Colada.

3oz Guava Nectar
1.5oz pineapple (fresh fluffs up nicely, especially if you are using a spindle blender to mix)
3/4oz lime
1.5oz Coconut Rum
1oz White Rum

Do you not use seltzer at all? I find that it really lightens the drink. The one from the book uses guava soda, but I don't usually have that but we do have nectar hence the swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Carillon posted:

Do you not use seltzer at all? I find that it really lightens the drink. The one from the book uses guava soda, but I don't usually have that but we do have nectar hence the swap.

I do not, but I can see why you might need it with the extra weight of Coco Lopez.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

When doing amaro and soda water do y'all at in vermouth it another atomized wine, or just use the amaro and like a lemon.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Either way probably. Like, a Campari and soda or an Americano - both tasty. I think the secret ingredient is a good olive or touch of olive brine

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Cocktail thread.

My wife and I decided to bring children into this world. As such, while we are trying and then in the happy phase are not drinking alcohol. Her for obvious loving reasons, me for being a supporting partner. Have any good mocktail ideas?

(Fwiw we stocked up on seedlip and that poo poo is great with good tonic water)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:hf: I was just in the same boat! Congrats, and good luck.

We settled into a pattern of DIY sodas, her some shrubs. Mint simple, lavender simple, elderflower simple, hibiscus syrup were all staples, mixed with citrus du jour, usually soda water but sometimes tonic. Sometimes bitters, sometimes a splash of Campari. Sometimes no citrus but a Tbsp of heavy cream for Italian soda.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My second crop of blackberries is starting to ripen. Last time I infused them with some blueberries in vodka to make a delicious drink, however this time I didn't have blueberries so I just added the blackberries.

It turns out all the wonderful purple color came from the blueberries, because while the blackberries have changed from deep purple to red and the vodka is tinged blueish purple, nothing much is happening. Is it possible to mash the blackberries and let the flavor infuse, then just strain out all the mush and seeds?

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
anyone have a go to peated scotch for cocktailing?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

My second crop of blackberries is starting to ripen. Last time I infused them with some blueberries in vodka to make a delicious drink, however this time I didn't have blueberries so I just added the blackberries.

It turns out all the wonderful purple color came from the blueberries, because while the blackberries have changed from deep purple to red and the vodka is tinged blueish purple, nothing much is happening. Is it possible to mash the blackberries and let the flavor infuse, then just strain out all the mush and seeds?

Have you tasted the vodka? If it's just the color that'd be one thing and I think you could mash. But if it's already well flavored I might start to worry about oversteeping.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

thetan_guy42 posted:

Laphroaig is a pretty regular bar pick

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

thetan_guy42 posted:

If you want to make cocktails and don't want to feel guilty about using a nice peated single malt (and hell, even the no-age Bowmore isn't that cheap), no joke, Trader Joe's has a peated scotch called Islay Storm that's $20 a bottle. It's not too complex, but it is nice and smokey.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Last time I asked here I was recommended Compass Box’s Great King St Glasgow Blend and it did the trick. That was specifically for Penicillins,and apparently that’s specifically what it’s made for.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

The Maestro posted:

Last time I asked here I was recommended Compass Box’s Great King St Glasgow Blend and it did the trick. That was specifically for Penicillins,and apparently that’s specifically what it’s made for.

Yeah Momofoku ssam bar uses that blend specifically in their penicillin (a great cocktail!)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I use compass box Peat Monster, but I really like smoke.

As far as mocktails, Ritual makes really cool products that mimic the burn and body of alchohol. The gin is great. Note, they are not meant for drinking straight, they are for cocktails.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yeah Momofoku ssam bar uses that blend specifically in their penicillin (a great cocktail!)

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I use compass box Peat Monster, but I really like smoke.

GKS Artist's & Glasgow blends were created specifically for that cocktail. The original cocktail Ross created used Compass Box Asyla & Peat Monster, both of which are excellent but cost prohibitive. John Glaser was a huge fan of Milk & Honey and good friends with the crew there and the staff asked him to make a line of scotch that was up to compass box standards but priced for cocktail bars. Hence we have the GKS line of Compass Box whiskeys.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 30, 2020

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Also depends where you are, I can't get Compass Box or Trader Joe's liquor in Pennsylvania.

Or Bruichladdich, which is more irksome, to be honest.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I believe Black Grouse is under $30 a bottle.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Also depends where you are, I can't get Compass Box or Trader Joe's liquor in Pennsylvania.

Or Bruichladdich, which is more irksome, to be honest.

Here in Illinois in a bar or restaurant you're likely to find Bruichladdich only in a place with a vast selection, or a very, very small one, because they don't go with either of the big Mafia-style liquor distributors that make up 90% of the market. I'm sure PA with its package stores is somehow even more byzantine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I want to make some jalapeño tequila (or otherwise spicy tequila) for margaritas, using Espilon. Do I just slice some jalapeños and steep them for a day or what? Do I need to refrigerate afterward?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

PRADA SLUT posted:

I want to make some jalapeño tequila (or otherwise spicy tequila) for margaritas, using Espilon. Do I just slice some jalapeños and steep them for a day or what? Do I need to refrigerate afterward?

Yup, 1-3 days. Taste as it rests. Pay attention to how vegetal it's getting. Pull the peppers when it gets where you want. If it's not spicy enough you can strain it and toss in another round of peppers. No need to refrigerate.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is Espilon a good tequila for this, or should I use something different?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

PRADA SLUT posted:

Espelon is fine, I normally use lunazul because is cheap and tasty.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's drat near ideal for infusions since it's smooth enough not to get any funky notes highlighted but has enough agave flavor that it doesn't get totally obscured. It's Dave Arnold's recommendation too for quick infusion with a whipped cream canister, which is great if you want more jalapeno flavor without it being as spicy.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Be very careful infusing booze with spicy, it can go from good to undrinkable in an instant.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’m doing one jalapeño and checking every 12 hours or so, and I’ll change the pepper every day. Does that sound about right?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I got actual weighted shaker tins as little inexpensive fun, as working with nice tools feels nice. Overall I like them a lot, they certainly get a much better seal, quicker, than my old shaker/pint glass. Two questions though. When shaking egg white dry they don't seal as well as the pint glass, likely because the pint glass is heavier. Any tips to get the dry shake without spraying as much egg white? Also with my old set up a simple light thwack on the right side of the shaker would pop the seal, I have to muscle the tins open a bit more, not a simple crack. Any suggestions on how best to crack it easier?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Honestly, if you don't have Korikos, the problem is probably that you don't have Korikos. I have had problems with literally every non-Koriko weighted shaker I've used. And I've tried plenty, since Cocktail Kingdom's vise grip on the bartending hardware market sucks and I'd prefer to buy something else just on principle, but there just aren't better shakers out there as far as I know.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm doing one jalapeño and checking every 12 hours or so, and I’ll change the pepper every day. Does that sound about right?

Just taste it every 12 hours, if you think you're starting to taste more green bell pepper vegetal flavor than you'd want then strain it off. Maaaybe put a second pepper in there if you would really prefer some more heat but I bet you won't have to. The great thing about infusions is how to-taste they are. It's an inexact science by nature, so just try stuff out and remember to taste it frequently.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

Honestly, if you don't have Korikos, the problem is probably that you don't have Korikos. I have had problems with literally every non-Koriko weighted shaker I've used. And I've tried plenty, since Cocktail Kingdom's vise grip on the bartending hardware market sucks and I'd prefer to buy something else just on principle, but there just aren't better shakers out there as far as I know.

They are in fact Korikos from cocktail kingdom haha. I've tried to avoid really slamming them together even for egg but maybe that's when you should use more force?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have Korikos and never had an issue with them leaking anything

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Wet shake to dilute and chill, strain, dry shake to emulsify, fine strain. As per the separation difficulty, all I can say is break em in. The Korikos are great, but they’re a bitch for the first week or two.

Edit: they can handle whatever force you’re going to put on them, and don’t worry too much about keeping them pristine.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 2, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

My current bar has like a mishmash of 12 different metal shaker tins that have been collected over it's 30 open years and none of them leak, no matter what top/bottom combo you use.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Carillon posted:

They are in fact Korikos from cocktail kingdom haha. I've tried to avoid really slamming them together even for egg but maybe that's when you should use more force?

Slam em like you're trying to break em. You might even get a tiny bit of vacuum on a dry shake that way.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You aren't going to break your korikos by hitting them with your hands. You'll pop the bottom weight off eventually if you're tapping or hitting it onto a metal surface like the edge of an ice bin or something but even then it'll take a year or two of regular abuse before it pops off.

Go ahead and give those tins a good smack to seal them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Trip report: One jalapeño over 16 hours did the trick

Second: recommend me a spicy rimming salt / mix for margaritas. I used togarashi and it's not bad, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Also, is there reason to get one of those little silicon rimmers, instead of using a bunch of dumb plates?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Tajin may be up your alley

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Tajín rules for rimming a marg but it might not be as spicy as you like. You could doctor it up, or if you really wanna get crazy you could try making your own chili powder blend and adding salt, citric acid, etc. Could be a fun project!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

They make other blends/types of tajin with different levels of spice. One of the spicier ones could work. Or yeah, just doctor it up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’ve had tajin on street fruit, I liked it and could probably just throw some cayenne into the mix if it’s too mild

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made guava nector Daiquiris last night
1/2 lime or later we used meyer lemons
.25 oz simple syrup
.25 oz maraschino cherry juice
1.5 oz guava nector
2 oz dark rum
Big hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU