Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Long Dental Plan
Jul 10, 2010
How does everybody deal with the crippling despair that comes with being a lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Switch to government IT.

It’s still despair, but it’s easier.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

So Long Dental Plan posted:

How does everybody deal with the crippling despair that comes with being a lawyer?

Playing d&d drunk helps

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

There's a reason lawyers consistently rank near the top of the list for substance abuse and mental health problems.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Switch to government IT.

It’s still despair, but it’s easier.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Playing d&d drunk helps

Can vouch for both these answers

So Long Dental Plan
Jul 10, 2010
Did yall actually stop being lawyers? I've been practicing for a decade now. Started in big law, loving hated it. Started my own practice about 7 years ago, and it's been better in some ways and worse in others.

I suppose my biggest gripes with the profession right now are how bad judges are (NY state court judges anyway) and opposing counsel. I have some shitheads who are moving to compel in person depositions in NYC right now. They've also sent me and my co-counsel literally 10 sanctions letters and most recently asked for sanctions in opposition to a motion to amend.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Real-talk: alot of your clients problems and alot of the hearings and trials you lose are problems that you were never going to fix. Some things were predetermined based on the facts, and you have to learn to remind yourself that you just spent XX hours convincing yourself that you could win/fix/save this hearing/problem/person because that was your job: to advocate for them. You will get so deep into trying to unfuck something that you convince yourself it really CAN be unfucked - the aftermath is the reminder that it could not, in fact, be unfucked.

Even though you did everything right, the thing is still broken, and its not your fault. You gave the problem the chance it deserved, and thats all anyone could have ever done. Its the highest honor to serve a losing cause, even though you didn't really believe you were going to lose.

Its important to accept that even if you only made the problem a little better, you still gave it a voice, and gave it a chance, and gave it its day in Court. And ultimately, that was your job, and it was your honor and responsibility to do it.

So Long Dental Plan
Jul 10, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Real-talk: alot of your clients problems and alot of the hearings and trials you lose are problems that you were never going to fix. Some things were predetermined based on the facts, and you have to learn to remind yourself that you just spent XX hours convincing yourself that you could win/fix/save this hearing/problem/person because that was your job: to advocate for them. You will get so deep into trying to unfuck something that you convince yourself it really CAN be unfucked - the aftermath is the reminder that it could not, in fact, be unfucked.

Even though you did everything right, the thing is still broken, and its not your fault. You gave the problem the chance it deserved, and thats all anyone could have ever done. Its the highest honor to serve a losing cause, even though you didn't really believe you were going to lose.

Its important to accept that even if you only made the problem a little better, you still gave it a voice, and gave it a chance, and gave it its day in Court. And ultimately, that was your job, and it was your honor and responsibility to do it.

Thanks man. I think part of my feelings of despair have to do with the realization that the legal system itself is so completely hosed. It's not even that my client's problems are unfixable for legal reasons, it's that some judges are just so abysmal. For example, I tried this criminal case and the state had completely hosed up the charging instrument. I moved to dismiss at the close of their case, got screamed at by the judge for doing it, and then he convicted (it was a bench trial). He eventually got overturned on appeal and the case was dismissed based on all the arguments I made at trial. But my client was completely hosed for absolutely no good reason. It's stuff like that which is hard to deal with.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Lol wrong, loser

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Realtalk, I was getting very frustrated doing federal civil rights law because everything takes forever and gets nowhere due to the increasing trumpification of the federal courts.

Now I'm doing babys first public defender traffic court and it is very fulfilling; getting a bullshit "i smelled weed" type case thrown out is just extremely satisfying. Before covid hit though the workload was overwhelming me and I don't know if I would have been able to keep up if the plague hadn't hit. We'll see when everything opens back up I guess.

The system is absolutely deep hosed-- I don't use the phrase "justice system" any more, just "legal system" -- but each one you save is saved, and that helps.

The sustaining part.of the job is the community of other public defenders; everyone who does this work is a bleeding heart so the rear end in a top hat ratio is a lot lower than in other areas of law I feel.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 1, 2020

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
got court appointed in federal ct to rep a new client accused (on a complaint, not indictment) of conspiracy to distribute. client's name came up exactly 3 times in the complaint, each time mentioning he was just basically sitting there playing on his phone in the passenger seat of a drug dealer's car while a drug deal happened 50 feet away.

I show up for the prelim, fully intending to waive, as the AUSA has asked me to do. but being marginally competent i talk to the ausa beforehand: "can't help but notice probable cause seems thin, can you make an offer of proof as to what you've got on her if you want to waive this prelim?"

AUSA: "I don't have to tell you anything."
Ol' Dirty Vapors: "Yeah, I'm aware of that, but you want me to waive prelim and I can't do it. if you won't tell me what you have."
AUSA: "I don't care if you waive."
ODV: "..."

anyway, long story short, I shredded the case agent on cross exam and got all the charges dismissed at the prelim, which the court clerk later told me she's never seen my judge do before in 6 years. judge looked physically pained to have to do it. gonna frame the order of dismissal

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

weed

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
The AUSA probably never had anyone not waive and didn't know what the gently caress to do, power move ODV.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Popero posted:

The AUSA probably never had anyone not waive and didn't know what the gently caress to do, power move ODV.

haha probably

I'm wondering if I should be the Don't Waive Prelims Ever guy in my district now until they throw me off the CJA panel

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Realtalk, I was getting very frustrated doing federal civil rights law because everything takes forever and gets nowhere due to the increasing trumpification of the federal courts.

Now I'm doing babys first public defender traffic court and it is very fulfilling; getting a bullshit "i smelled weed" type case thrown out is just extremely satisfying. Before covid hit though the workload was overwhelming me and I don't know if I would have been able to keep up if the plague hadn't hit. We'll see when everything opens back up I guess.

The system is absolutely deep hosed-- I don't use the phrase "justice system" any more, just "legal system" -- but each one you save is saved, and that helps.

The sustaining part.of the job is the community of other public defenders; everyone who does this work is a bleeding heart so the rear end in a top hat ratio is a lot lower than in other areas of law I feel.
Lol, call us in 3 years.
At least half my office was on BP meds, half on psych drugs, and half avoided doctors.

Public defenders are genuinely awesome though. Only good lawyers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nm posted:

Lol, call us in 3 years.
At least half my office was on BP meds, half on psych drugs, and half avoided doctors.

Public defenders are genuinely awesome though. Only good lawyers.

Oh the kids these days are all very open about mental health, it's very refreshing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lol

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

How does everybody deal with the crippling despair that comes with being a lawyer alive?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Did yall actually stop being lawyers?

Winners never quit, quitters never win.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I mean, the ideal result is Trump cancels the debates and then Biden keeps his 13 point lead through to the election.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
it's going to own when biden wins the popular vote by like 7 and still loses the EC somehow. especially if it's by way of Justice Handmaid declaring that California actually doesn't count because of Reasons

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

terrorist ambulance posted:

it's going to own when biden wins the popular vote by like 7 and still loses the EC somehow. especially if it's by way of Justice Handmaid declaring that California actually doesn't count because of Reasons

It becomes basically mathematically impossible to win the popular vote by 4.5 percent or more without winning the EC.

Not that it won't still get ugly. Trump loving won and he claimed fraud

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

smoke good weed

gently caress bad bitches

edit: pet cats

Toona the Cat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 1, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

It becomes basically mathematically impossible to win the popular vote by 4.5 percent or more without winning the EC.

Not that it won't still get ugly. Trump loving won and he claimed fraud

It is if a couple of Republican legislatures certify their own electors because they said the ballot is rigged and/or there was too much violence at polling stations for a fair vote to go ahead. :v:

Though that is only a touch more likely than California being handwaved away as a state.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Munin posted:

It is if a couple of Republican legislatures certify their own electors because they said the ballot is rigged and/or there was too much violence at polling stations for a fair vote to go ahead. :v:

Though that is only a touch more likely than California being handwaved away as a state.

This isn't really the board for this type of stuff, but if a few states did that, it would be an acknowledgement by the Republican party that they're done with Democracy. We aren't going to have any meaningful elections after this one and there is almost certainly going to be widespread violent civil unrest and/or war.

I'm not saying that's impossible, but IF that is to happen, the Republicans aren't going to pull that trigger so they can keep in Donald loving Trump. State legislators know where their bread is buttered and Trump hasn't raised a single cent for local politicians, nor has he juiced them up to pass anything substantial, if anything, he's cost the party seats in areas thought to be safe GOP seats.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

/\ I think Hieronymous Alloy meant to post that in USPOL but had this thread open by mistake.

Anyway, therapy helps.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/IChotiner/status/1311744840418291712?s=20

lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Tokelau All Star posted:

/\ I think Hieronymous Alloy meant to post that in USPOL but had this thread open by mistake.

Anyway, therapy helps.

I don't know, thinking getting Trump out office will cure lawyer depression is pretty on brand for these forums.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
lmao it's one fatfinger away from asshead

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Left attorneyship, went into public service for more money, less hours, more homebrew.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Left attorneyship, went into public service for more money, less hours, more homebrew.

For real though, being a government attorney with defined hours I only exceed by choice or during trial, having a good health care and retirement plan seem to help. It also helps that I personally believe in the work most of the time and I am generally fulfilled by the work.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Blarzgh's answer is the best here honestly.

It's also important to make sure you take the time to take care of yourself too. Use vacation and sick time, engage in hobbies, maintain some sort of social contact with the friends/family (lol covid).

edit: hell yeah SV

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tokelau All Star posted:

Anyway, therapy helps.

d'oh

Anyway, you know the debate was a shitshow when all the inmates and prison guards you talk to mention it two days later and universally say things like "man, that was the worst thing I ever saw"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Guy in San Quentin doing 25 to life on a third strike: “that debate was the worst thing I’ve ever seen”

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Guy in San Quentin doing 25 to life on a third strike: “that debate was the worst thing I’ve ever seen”

"A lot of what they were saying in the debate was drowned out by the noises and screaming from the showers, but from what I heard, I just don't think Trump has a coherent plan for COVID-19."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phil Moscowitz posted:

this was jsut county lockup but, yes, essentially

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

edit: also prozac.

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 1, 2020

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Toona the Cat posted:

smoke good weed

gently caress bad bitches

edit: pet cats

Can only pet cat once every five years though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I post dog pictures in the discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I look at my timesheets and convert it to dollars