Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Still sad that my favorite thors buddy, Klein, apparently shows up in neither CS3 or 4. And yeah, all the trails first games feel similar cuz that's kinda the point.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Last Celebration posted:

Is Hugo really that bad for Nightmare? I’ve only beaten it in Hard mode and I remember Hugo’s story being a cathartic curbstomp because his thing is free midrange combat in a series where that’s usually something on a cool down.

his damage is loving abysmal and having to mash constantly is actively hurting my hands, he also can't actually outmaneuver some bosses which turns his combat style into more of a liability than anything else

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Started Ys VII, and drat it is a lot of fun to dart around the island at lightspeed tearing through mobs.

Does anyone know how the dev of Ys v LoH works? Like are they two totally different teams working concurrently or are a lot of people working between?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've never heard anything related to that but from a look on Wikipedia, Falcom only has about 60 employees. Even if all of those were developers I can't imagine it'd be enough to have concurrent development outside of a small, core team doing pre-production on a future game while their next game is in active development.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

their release cadence seems way too fast to have only one game in full production at a time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that Tokyo Xanadu was done by a smaller team while everyone else was working on uhh..CS3 and Ys 8 I guess?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MythosDragon posted:

I liked everyone from the start and it's mostly just a question of how much cooler they got. Gaius wins that completion in every game. Going to Nord and roughing it nomad style is the peak of CS1, His stakes in the war of CS2 were highest by far since his entire way of life and homeland would have been destroyed, and now he's part of the best faction as their most interesting character. Emma's probably my least favorite since, well someone else said it, Celine is cooler at every level.

In a weird way, this warms my heart, even though I disagree with basically every part of it. I really like Gaius, and would be very down for giving him more screen time, but I also think everything they have done with him is boring or frustratingly undeveloped. I would have been pretty OK if he were forced for most of CS2, though. The game could have used a consistent person Rean could interact with (and subsequently have less generic dialogue), and having level-headed Gaius around to anchor him would have been the best available choice, IMO.

So if I'm not being clear: my complaint on Gaius is I wish he got more spotlight.

I also figure Gaius is the PC most likely to appear in future series after Cold Steel and Hajimari, and honestly, I'm pretty OK with that, too. (Maybe some of the temps are more likely, but Gaius is pretty up there)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Veryslightlymad posted:

In a weird way, this warms my heart, even though I disagree with basically every part of it. I really like Gaius, and would be very down for giving him more screen time, but I also think everything they have done with him is boring or frustratingly undeveloped. I would have been pretty OK if he were forced for most of CS2, though. The game could have used a consistent person Rean could interact with (and subsequently have less generic dialogue), and having level-headed Gaius around to anchor him would have been the best available choice, IMO.

So if I'm not being clear: my complaint on Gaius is I wish he got more spotlight.

I also figure Gaius is the PC most likely to appear in future series after Cold Steel and Hajimari, and honestly, I'm pretty OK with that, too. (Maybe some of the temps are more likely, but Gaius is pretty up there)

I'm basically with you here, but I'm going to add a very slight bit of nuance to it. I wish Gaius got more spotlight, and I wish that (CS3 spoilers)they gave him something uniquely Nord to make him interesting, instead of doing the Gralsritter twist for the fourth time

That's just me, and I'm interested to see what they do with the man in CS4, but there you have it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Part of me always hoped this was the point of Elliot. Just him showing up as a traveling musician to get wrapped up in an adventure as the character who has some understanding of the mystery going on in the background.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ethiser posted:

Part of me always hoped this was the point of Elliot. Just him showing up as a traveling musician to get wrapped up in an adventure as the character who has some understanding of the mystery going on in the background.

Honestly that would also be pretty good. I was really disappointed he wasn't straight up stealing Olivier's schtick, just maybe with Elliot's personality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The combat in this game is kind of weird in that it has all these mechanics and systems, but in practice fights are either trivially easy or will ruin you if the enemy gets in any attacks. All the harder boss fights are sort of a gamble where I desperately try to break them before getting owned (and, at least on Hard, they can nearly kill people with single hits, plus affecting them with status ailments) and then spam S-Crafts. I think playing defensively is probably also viable (the ones that reduce damage by 50-90% make boss damage manageable), but the fights would probably last an extremely long time that way.

I remember in the late game things becoming a little different, where I'd have one character devoted to healing and one spamming powerful magic.

King of Solomon posted:

The game actually does that for you. When characters leave the party you get everything they had that's removable.

Yep, I just noticed that after finishing Chapter 1.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
CS III had a few tough early boss fights. The one where you're ambushed by three big spiders in the forest, and the Einhel Keep one when it's Rean, Millium, and Altina together. I think the main strategy on the latter fight was to use the big damage reducing brave order (I forget who's it was) and then when the boss gets staggered you pour on the damage brave order + S crafts, that fight took me quite a few tries. The rest of the bosses weren't too bad, the one at the end of chapter 4 was a tough one.

What is really nice about these games is that you can retry every boss fight immediately as many times as you need to without having to load back to a save point.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

infraboy posted:

CS III had a few tough early boss fights. The one where you're ambushed by three big spiders in the forest, and the Einhel Keep one when it's Rean, Millium, and Altina together. I think the main strategy on the latter fight was to use the big damage reducing brave order (I forget who's it was) and then when the boss gets staggered you pour on the damage brave order + S crafts, that fight took me quite a few tries. The rest of the bosses weren't too bad, the one at the end of chapter 4 was a tough one.

What is really nice about these games is that you can retry every boss fight immediately as many times as you need to without having to load back to a save point.

Another nasty one was the little spore thing that healed itself an enormous amount like, every other turn. It didn't take me multiple tries, but the one try it did take took forever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"A sheep monster that strayed from the flock. Exposed to an uncaring world, it returned home cynical and disenchanted."

edit: "Tio Tot" is a dumb localization of Tiosuke

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 1, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tio Tot is probably the best of Randy's localised nicknames, sadly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

apparently it was "Petiote" in the old Zero fan patch; at least Tio Tot is something a human being might feasibly come up with and say

should probably just be T or something though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

All I could come up with is Platio.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
There was lil' T, but Dorothy already trademarked that one.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ytlaya posted:

edit: "Tio Tot" is a dumb localization of Tiosuke

Wait, that's what it was in the Japanese version? Huh. Would have pegged it as "Tio-chan".

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Junpei posted:

Wait, that's what it was in the Japanese version? Huh. Would have pegged it as "Tio-chan".

Entirely too generically cute for Randy.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Supremezero posted:

Entirely too generically cute for Randy.

Randy canonically goes around adding silly things to the ends of women's names. "Sup Sonya-Thulu!"

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Randy in his Japanese VA is pretty funny his Japanese is always super slangy and he doesnt really speak formally ever i’ve noticed, I think he just calls her “Tio-Ta”

Juna calls Altina “Alru”

Oh and the Hajimari no Kiseki translation spreadsheet is done as of yesterday, pretty amazing work.

https://zerofield.net/

The scenes with their new engine are pretty cool, super smooth animations and it maintains their art style, actually overall even the stuff using old engine seem a lot smoother and cleaner.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lets hope the new engine doesn't chug on current hardware despite looking like a fancy PS2 game anymore

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Still wanna know what PS2 games people were playing to think they looked that good.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 2, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

usually it's a ridiculous exaggeration but i kinda get why people say that for falcom games specifically, their environment design still has that low-poly feel even if the textures and lighting are modernized.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Falcom is really good at designing towns, though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So I'm halfway Origin on the switch, most of the way through Hugo's run, and have also finished 1, 2, and 8.

What Ys would y'all recommend next?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sir Tonk posted:

So I'm halfway Origin on the switch, most of the way through Hugo's run, and have also finished 1, 2, and 8.

Oath in Felghana if you want another Adol-solo game or Memories of Celceta if you want another party system game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Only 23 days until Cold Steel 4 drops!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

If you vibed more with 8’s gameplay then 7 and Celceta, if you’re really liking Origin then Ark of Napitsm and Oath in Felghana, maybe skipping Ark since it’s a little rough.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Last Celebration posted:

If you vibed more with 8’s gameplay then 7 and Celceta, if you’re really liking Origin then Ark of Napitsm and Oath in Felghana, maybe skipping Ark since it’s a little rough.

This is just me, but I'd avoid 7 and Napishtim until after doing Celceta and Oath, respectively. They're both extremely rough versions of the engine styles they're part of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Junpei posted:

Only 23 days until Cold Steel 4 drops!

Maybe this is why I feel so listless and unable to settle on a game to play

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Wrong thread

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 5, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I just played the story in that and enough was enough. Still better than the second one though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe this is why I feel so listless and unable to settle on a game to play

I'm more or less in the same place. I want to play something, but I also don't really want to commit to anything, because the only game I actually want to play right now is CS4.

I've been enjoying Hades, but I rarely play that game for more than an hour in a given day.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've been playing the Yakuza series which has been pretty fun and they're on sale for a few more days on PS store.

Having played through the Japanese version of CSIV i'm still pretty excited to get the western release and seeing how close the fan translation was in comparison, I know some of the lines can be a little obscure and can get a little lost in translation.

I'm about 2 chapters into Hajimari since the translation sheet went up, it's excellent so far and I really don't want it to end, supposedly is Hajimari is the last time we'll see most of these characters as playables afaik. Excited for whatever Falcom does next though. Typical great soundtrack, the new characters in the "C" route are really good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just finished Chapter 1 of CS2 and man, it's kinda super obnoxious that Rean's big character realisation that leads him to being able to control his berserker mode is him learning a lesson that he's already learned at least 5 times by now. Once literally an hour ago.

Like, i'd seen a lot of discussion about how Rean's terrible or whatever and after spending over a game with him that all seems pretty hugely exaggerated but this was still pretty bad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

otoh new super move

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, i'm glad his meandering route to realising people care about him just as much as he cares about them resulted in a powerful super move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tbf someone with selfesteem issues having difficulty realizing people care about them is pretty true to life. Like having the same realization six times in a row before it sticks sure describes depression