Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

i can't decide if this should be posted to the cursed thread or not

i feel some sort of terrible energy coming from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmfao i thought it was some sort of antenna at first and I'm glad it got requoted enough that I saw it's a quarter inch mono plug lmao

definitely reminds me of my days running a RadioShack and the poo poo people would ask for "adapters" to do that.... just, no

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Ah, just what I needed for my voice to print setup

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Ah, just what I needed for my voice to print setup

Dragon Unnaturally Speaking

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://wtop.com/local/2020/10/dumfries-driver-who-did-burnouts-on-bay-bridge-arrested-after-video-posted-on-social-media/

Idiot

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

the article posted:

Police also issued more than 3,500 citations, made 2,500 traffic stops and towed and impounded more than 350 vehicles.

350 cars impounded. Daymn

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It sucks that they have an old law that says anyone on a bridge when a crime is committed is guilty of the crime, but it is what it is.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

It sucks that they have an old law that says anyone on a bridge when a crime is committed is guilty of the crime, but it is what it is.

I'm imagining the fractal crimes a half-dozen folks could get into by being assholes on a bridge when everyone shares all crimes

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Cojawfee posted:

Luckily nobody was carrying ice cream in their pocket.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bad Munki posted:

Dragon Unnaturally Speaking

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

People scoff, but if you really want to hear this album the way they intended, you gotta listen to it in dot matrix.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

People scoff, but if you really want to hear this album the way they intended, you gotta listen to it in dot matrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8I6qt_Z0Cg

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVQB42EjgD8

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cojawfee posted:

Those arrests were in Ocean City, not on the bridge.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i always thought if you committed a crime on a bridge you couldn't be arrested because you were over international waters

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mozi posted:

i always thought if you committed a crime on a bridge you couldn't be arrested because you were over international waters

i thought international waters was like 20 miles out, and I'm sure the road counts as where you start counting out.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

quote:

The suspected driver, 22-year-old Gary Ray Montague, Jr., of Dumfries, Virginia, is charged with four misdemeanor counts, including three of disturbing the peace and one of disorderly conduct. He was also charged with 23 traffic violations.

The traffic violations include reckless driving, willfully damaging a highway and driving a motor vehicle in a manner intended to cause skidding.

Online court records show Montague had been convicted of misdemeanor Driving While Intoxicated, this past August, in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. Records show he was required to use an ignition interlock.

Montague was also charged with reckless driving and other driving counts a month earlier, in neighboring Prince William County.

gently caress this guy: someone should drop him and his car in international waters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I laughed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Moo the cow posted:

gently caress this guy: someone should drop him and his car in international waters.

If he would have bumped that rail too hard, he would have dropped himself in international waters.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

CommieGIR posted:

That was Project Pluto which did use a direct exposed reactor, the other nuclear Jet Engines just exchanged heat and the coolant loop exchanged the heat rather than the reactor.

NERVA kinda works on the same principle as Pluto's nuclear ramjet but it heats a fuel rather than air, being in a vacuum and all

Well poo poo, I thought all of them had direct reactor exposure. I thought I read somewhere that using indirect hear exachange wasn't feasible at the time.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

“As new”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

These people need to be burned alive in their ricers. H2Oi was originally in the Ocean City area, but they were told to gently caress off because of all the idiots doing public burnouts, drag racing in the streets, starting fights, and generally being assholes. H2Oi officially moved north to Atlantic City, but there's still a cadre of obnoxious man-children that go to OC and be stupid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Manzoon posted:

Well poo poo, I thought all of them had direct reactor exposure. I thought I read somewhere that using indirect hear exachange wasn't feasible at the time.

[s]I mean, initially direct seemed more feasible, but HTRE-2 and HTRE-3 proved indirect was perfectly feasible[s/]
I'm wrong, see below.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 1, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I saw similar happen when the hood on a big Dodge pickup opened up while on top of a car carrier.

Good latching mechanism MOPAR.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, initially direct seemed more feasible, but HTRE-2 and HTRE-3 proved indirect was perfectly feasible

It's all on me for half-remembering things. I was getting Project Pluto and the shielding flight experiment all rolled up in my head. Had no idea there were three indirect heat experiments till I read them now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I imagine the white van crossed over a solid line because he saw what was about to happen.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Moo the cow posted:

Can't stop reading the name of the town as Dumb Fries.

AmmoniumAcetate
Sep 23, 2003
Don't mess with Earth

Look at this coward. Doing doughnuts right at the start of the bridge, not in the middle, where it's like 500 feet up from the water.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

I wish I knew where this happened because everything about it screams "Pennsylvania"

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

Look at this coward. Doing doughnuts right at the start of the bridge, not in the middle, where it's like 500 feet up from the water.

I can barely white-knuckle it across that bridge in the middle lane. The thought of doing donuts on it is incomprehensible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, initially direct seemed more feasible, but HTRE-2 and HTRE-3 proved indirect was perfectly feasible

HTRE-2 and HTRE-3 were direct-cycle. I can't say that clearly enough: they ingested air, blew it through the reactor core, and then blew it out the back.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4643464

quote:

An airflow cycle of this assembly is shown in Figure 3. The air enters the turbojet engine and passes through the cold ducting to the forward transition scroll, where it is distributed radially through the front plug and into the core through the front tube sheet. Some of this air is used to cool the beryllium reflector and the control rods; the remainder (97% of total) is passed through the active core. The air is heated to approximately 1300°F and is exhausted into a plenum from which it passes through the combustor and aft header and back down through the engine turbine. The air is then exhausted to the atmosphere via the exhaust-handling system.

The program was originally supposed to be indirect-cycle, and that is the approach taken by P&W. GE asked for a waiver for that requirement, got one, and proceeded down the development path that led to the HTRE.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 1, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

HTRE-2 and HTRE-3 were direct-cycle. I can't say that clearly enough: they ingested air, blew it through the reactor core, and then blew it out the back.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4643464

The program was originally supposed to be indirect-cycle, and that is the approach taken by P&W. GE asked for a waiver for that requirement, got one, and proceeded down the development path that led to the HTRE.

gently caress, I totally misread that.

To emphasize my failure to read

quote:

The Indirect Air Cycle program was assigned to Pratt & Whitney, at a facility near Middletown, Connecticut. This concept would have produced far less radioactive pollution. One or two loops of liquid metal would carry the heat from the reactor to the engine. This program involved a great deal of research and development of many light-weight systems suitable for use in aircraft, such as heat exchangers, liquid-metal turbopumps and radiators. The Indirect Cycle program never came anywhere near producing flight-ready hardware.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 1, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/k287Tb3.gifv

I swear I think this is Divine Intervention.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ar2zy00.gifv

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cartoon Man posted:

God takes care of idiots and children.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo

My brain can't fathom that the noise from the printer is the music, and not some MIDI track overlaid on top of the video.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

My brain can't fathom that the noise from the printer is the music, and not some MIDI track overlaid on top of the video.

Never seen/heard the Floppotron?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrZw9p3FzNM

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Oh this is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySpj_44rsG8&t=17s

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

So I guess the front of the bus spins the guy around by his legs so he avoids the front wheel but also throws his head under the side of the bus but because the rear wheels of the bus rolled over the motorcycle it gave the guy enough time to get his head out from under the bus?