Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Slightly harder to see. Demon's Souls is a dark-rear end game, it's like Tomb of Giants but always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Edit: nothing to see here

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Gaius Marius posted:

? Demons souls is not very hard at all. I love the game but man it's a cakewalk especially after playing every other one

DeS was the least hard but most punishing, and the series has gotten more challenging over time as they sanded the rougher edges off. Even estus was a revelation, besides more shortcuts, boss runs getting faster, no world tendency etc. If they put a blood borne or dark souls 3 boss at the end of 4-1 nobody would have stuck with that game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

King Bahamut posted:

If they put a blood borne or dark souls 3 boss at the end of 4-1 nobody would have stuck with that game

Do you mean 4-2? 4-1 run isn't that bad IIRC

4-2 legit made me put down the game for years because I didn't know about the Thief's ring

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Replaying this game after 4 years I'm constantly checking the wiki for the same stupid reason. "Is this hard to reach item something I should care about?" I wish they had some consistency about very important items like say estus shards only coming from iron chests. Every item that requires tricky platforming or a particular enemy destroying an obstacle could be an estus shard if you don't already know.

Is VIT ever useful? I have only one character with VIT leveled, I made him specifically to level VIT. He became a boring parry-SLAMMO gimmick which just isn't fun for PVP so he rarely got used after I finished the DLC. I don't get VIT. I like having stamina regen. I don't like rolling outside of striking range when I dodge.

He's Minsc from Baldur's Gate

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This is one of the few games where armor makes a significant difference and high VIT heavy armor characters will take less than half the damage compared to a build that uses a flynns ring.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Yeah I mean my other STR PVP char was caestus/claymore* and I wanted longer rolls for positioning (caestus close, claymore long) but I also wanted flynn's for caestus. Sometime later PVP fads changed and fully upgraded heavy armor fatrolls became the new PVP fad. Perhaps in counter to the perpetual fast-pokey builds that characterize DS2. So I re-tooled to be a lance/caestus and dropped flynn since I was doing most of the damage on the lance and the caestus stayed because it was 1.0 equip weight that made people stupid about retaliating even if you did no real damage to fatty armor builds.

How did I become so bad at this game now that I struggle on NG? Is it just my iframes are dogshit?

*Also there was a hilarious unbreakable stunlock you could do with 1-handed claymore and offhand caestus that I'm sure some other people discovered.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You have 105 Agility so you obviously know about the relevant breakpoints. Most likely it's gaming rust or sweet spots. You said it's been four years, but you're also using a greataxe which is one of those weapon classes with very pronounced sweet spots. If you don't connect with the right part of the weapon you only deal ~50% normal damage rather than ~80% with other classes like greatswords.

Otherwise VIT isn't a bad idea for whatever combination of armor/gear you want, since DS2 throws levels at you and (as above) armor actually means something compared to other games in the series. All of DS2's damage calculations are very straightforward. Physical DEF apparently reduces damage taken by about .2 per point, while elemental and status resistances are per thousand reductions that cap at 1% elemental damage or immunity to a status respectively. (Those are your sheet value + 100, so you hit the cap at 890 or 900 rather than 990 or 1000.)

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I always felt like armor didn't really kick in until you got a ton of it - like the benefit was exponential, or something. I remember before heavy armor got nerfed a bit that you could become ludicrously tanky for normal game enemies, and even more so in pvp, but that was probably the last time I paid a lot of attention to armor.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't kick in much until you upgrade it. There are a few exceptions like the drangleic set but for the most part you want +5/+10 armor if you want to be tanky

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

My glasscannon: prisoner rags + slightly leveling VIT and longroll with a Zweihander :getin:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
In Dark Souls 2, no armor will be as protective as a full giants armor set is in Dark Souls. However, it's far easier to get a good defense while still maintaining fast roll in Dark Souls 2 and you sacrifice much less in terms of ring slots.

In Dark Souls 2, the really lightweight cloth armor has usually far more defense per weight then metal armor, but most metal armor has a very similar defense/weight ratio. What this means is that unless you can wear all the heaviest stuff, in order to maximize armor, you want uneven armor. If you rather than wearing a medium weight armor set wears heavy gloves, leggings and helmet while wearing something like monastery robe, you more defense out of it, as well as more poise. In the first Dark Souls, such a strategy would give you more poise, but less defense. Something else to keep in mind is that defense is entirely subtractive in this game, armor is far more effective against small hits than big hits. The latter is also the case in Dark Souls, but it's less pronounced so since armor absorbs more damage against big hits than small hits.

Where armor really shines is against the manikin in earthen peak. They hit very fast, but deal low poise damage and their rapid hits will all individually be reduced by your armor. That area is way easier with good armor than without.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crystalgate posted:

Something else to keep in mind is that defense is entirely subtractive in this game, armor is far more effective against small hits than big hits.

Note that this is only for physical damage. Elemental damage uses percentile reductions, despite the two being displayed similarly on the stat screen. Why? Who loving knows!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I always opted for fashion souls, the best defense against looking tacky and mismatched.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

All in all you may get ganked by someone that has a skeleton inside... Like skeleton man!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

I always opted for fashion souls, the best defense against looking tacky and mismatched.

Good fashion is always the optimal build :hai:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I actually liked the flat DR in DS2 as a design choice, speaking of. Since the majority of bosses have extremely strong single hits, armor only really shines against the trash you fight before you get to the boss. It's a way of making the experience less harrowing for newer/more casual players - by making you less likely to die in the run up to the boss - without trivializing the difficulty of the boss fight itself.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I think it was a really good desicion to remove armor upgrades in DS3 :colbert:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

I think it was a really good desicion to remove armor upgrades in DS3 :colbert:

I think it would've been tough to get the balance of percentile DR right with an upgrade system in place. You'd either run into the problem of fully upgraded heavy armor overcapping, or you'd have to make the increases for each individual armor piece so minuscule per upgrade point that it wouldn't be worth the bother. It probably would also have hosed with their weapon-based matchmaking.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

They also removed weapon degradation in DS3, but left it in there somehow. I never used a repair powder or had any weapon break in DS3, or maybe I just died a lot.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

axolotl farmer posted:

I think it was a really good decision to remove armor upgrades in DS3 :colbert:
Agreed. Seeing DS2 streamers PVP with complete inventories of fully upgraded weapons/armor being all "Oh, I'm just hacking my soul memory so I don't have to make a new account." The gently caress you are you cheater. No one legit is dumping slabs into armor at under 10 mil SM.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

anyone who skipped farming chunks in the belfry for their massive collection of armor is weak and pitiable

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The belfry farm was a lot of fun but on my latest playthrough I couldn't get any hits so I had to ascetic the harvest valley bonfire up to like ng+8 or something

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh yeah it sucks now, I'm talking back when youtubers and other people played the game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think I might be finally gearing up for a playthrough (non-SOTFS). Are there any pro-tips I should know? I'm talking stuff like missables, easily broken sidequests, etc. I don't care about spoilers.

I already know about Adaptability, I know not to open whatsisface's cell before doing his other stuff first if I want everything, and I know buying lots of stuff from merchants and summoning NPC friends for bosses are both good ideas. I also know about breakable chests, bonfire ascetics, all that general rigamarole. Illusory walls work differently, that too.

One I didn't know until recently is that there seem to be parts where it's borderline required to have a bow or some other aimable ranged attack to press some Zelda type switches (and maybe a few areas with otherwise unreachable stuff that's a good idea to kill).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shulva is the only level where you need a bow to progress, and you get a free upgraded bow early in the zone as a hint. It’s generally a good idea to have a bow anywhere though, for ranged damage and pulling.

Most of the sidequests in DS2 are pretty easy to miss or screw up tbh. You have to summon NPCs for bosses repeatedly and have them survive the fight to get their stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

It’s generally a good idea to have a bow anywhere though, for ranged damage and pulling.

The idea of shooting a small pointy stick at an enemy instead of smashing their head in with a large blunt stick is simply offensive to me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

You'll want a bow

NPCs can die afaik so be careful talking to them with enemies around and stuff

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Control Volume posted:

Oh yeah it sucks now, I'm talking back when youtubers and other people played the game

I had a lot of fun with gimmick runs. I remember dressing up with the butterfly armor that poisoned nearby enemies and powerstancing the boss weapons that did poison + toxic (Mytha's bent blade). Bonfire ascetics were a really, really cool mechanic for accessing stuff like that without needing to beat the game first.

But yeah, going super massive poison was hilarious, and I think people mostly just freaked out when they got hit and saw bars pop up on their screen. It wasn't all that effective, but doing gimmicks in the belltower was fantastically fun PVP.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone ever do real pvp in the Pharos Rat zone? I've played through this game a ton and I've probably only been invaded in there twice?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I did it like once or twice.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

skasion posted:

Most of the sidequests in DS2 are pretty easy to miss or screw up tbh. You have to summon NPCs for bosses repeatedly and have them survive the fight to get their stuff.
That's only two NPCs though. That is a little touchy (especially because you have to talk to them first to activate the summon, and in one instance one of them is really hard to find), but otherwise most if not all sidequests should be completable at any stage of the game, I think?

There are a few minor rewards you might miss (you have to buy a special ring to talk to one NPC in order to unlock his summon for a boss fight, but the only thing you lose if you do the boss alone is that), but otherwise DS2 is the best game for reasonable sidequests by a large margin in the series imo.

As for rat stuff, when vanilla and SotFS were still nee respectively, I liked parking a level 30ish character in the Grave of Saints and having dudes trickle in while watching videos; DS2 is nice enough to alert you with vibration when someone invades after all. Got quite a lot of PvP out of that, and billions of lockstones!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 4, 2020

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Tark's rewards are (I think) available to you even after you beat Najka , and for Benhart and Lucatiel completing their questlines just requires you to beat a boss with them summoned three times, and you can burn an ascetic to re-do a boss fight and have it count toward their progression. I know there's one spell you can miss out on if you kill Licia instead of letting her questline play out, but like, yeah if you go around killing NPCs you might miss stuff.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah iirc you don't miss any items with Tark, but you can't summon him for Najka if you don't talk to him first, which is whatever.

You can't summon most people if you don't talk to them, and that's why one Lucatiel summon is tough, because she hides. Also, you have to finish her dialogue before she ends up in her final location, so you can't get around finding her with ascetics.

It's always just weapons/armor, though. Nothing super important. You do get cheevos for it though iirc (finishing the questline, not getting all weapons, gosh).

For some other NPCs, you get stuff for free when you summon them and win (Pate), but you can also kill them and buy it so whatever.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I've so rarely noticed Jugo's summon sign so I've only finished his quest once possibly. Him's got a phony sword!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Decided to get started! Things Betwixt, Majula basics, and Forest have all been cleared. :toot: Pate got stepped on a few too many times, but oh well. Pursuer was a bit of a jerk but not too bad.

Currently debating the merits of doing Heide's immediately vs. beelining for ye olde Large Club in Lost Bastille...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
If you’re doing non-SotFS then Heide is fiiine to go first

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Zero fear for Heide's, I just wanna get back to great hammering ASAP.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Zero fear for Heide's, I just wanna get back to great hammering ASAP.
Trade in some smooth and shiny stones and/or petrified somethings with the crows and hope for the Demon's Greathammer, which is way the hell better than its DS1 incarnation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

Did anyone ever do real pvp in the Pharos Rat zone? I've played through this game a ton and I've probably only been invaded in there twice?

It was active for the first few months before all the pvp centralized in the arenas and iron keep bridge. It never really worked as intended, the best strategy was fighting in the first area with enemies (for both areas) and ignoring the various pharos traps you could activate. There wasn't much you could do if you the summon decided to bolt for the fog door either.