Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Charliegrs posted:

I don't think it's been confirmed that Syrians are fighting there. But if there was chances are it would be the Turks transporting them. They kind of have a habit of sending Syrians to fight in other countries (Libya)

https://caspiannews.com/news-detail/azerbaijan-denies-presence-of-turkish-military-base-syrian-fighters-2020-9-2-39/

So like 2 loving weeks ago Azerbaijan denied a turkish base existing inisde the country.

3 Days ago, Lindsey Snell reports the transport of 70 Syrian soldiers to Baku

https://twitter.com/LindseySnell/status/1309554207297605638

TFSA Pissed about siding with Shias.

loving look at this:

https://twitter.com/KevorkAlmassian/status/1308085986082140160

Someone asked what changed, I am unsure, Realpolitik changed. But this was infront of us for the last few loving weeks and occuring in spats here and there in terms of rumors. This is a prepared effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Someone asked what changed, I am unsure, Realpolitik changed. But this was infront of us for the last few loving weeks and occuring in spats here and there in terms of rumors. This is a prepared effort.

Erdogan needs a win. That's why it's happening.

His gains in Syria were meager, could only ethnically cleanse Afrin canton. Turkish people not impressed by disappointing lack of real genocide. AKP lost elections in Istanbul and Ankara. In Libya it's even worse, he was starting to ramp up and got Al Watiya Air Base struck in the night by unknown forces, destroying the air defenses here. Then Russia came in and put redlines on the objectives he wanted to seize. poo poo! Things are looking bad for 2022 presidential reelections of Sultan Recep I! How about Mavi Natan? Let's just declare all Greek islands and the sea around them is Turkish clay and drill for g--wait, France is siding with the Greeks and telling Erdie-boy to knock it off. Poor Erdogan just cannot get a break. All he wants is some defenseless people he can oppress a bit so as to win elections, why is that so much to ask? Hey, the Armenians. Right in his backyard. Westerners can't intervene there, their military is puny, it's time to help brotherly turkic brothers the Azeri deal with the Armenian problem for good. This is easy win. Let's start by bringing in a lot of shia-hating jihadists who'll be sure to definitely side with the Shia Azerbaijanis and then assault the heavily-defended plateau of the Artsakh republic!

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

According to some experts, there are already moves by the Central Election Commission in Russia to make elections more transparent and fair, because they don't want to see the same thing happen there. With ongoing local protests in Russia, I'm sure they'll try to make at least some token steps to signal that Putin is not like Lukashenko at all. Even with local protests, you can see that while Kremlin is reluctant to give protesters exactly what they want, there are attempts to compromise.

But the elections committee have just finished with the constitutional vote and the local elections and they were all not exactly fair or reasonable except at some precincts where the government is really hated and the opposition is fairly powerful. Even there the Kremlin is flexible with tactics but in the end as in the case of Furgal winning elections is not a guarantee of any change or compromise with the Kremlin. Really hard to believe in a gradual reform for the better under the current Russian leadership

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://caspiannews.com/news-detail/azerbaijan-denies-presence-of-turkish-military-base-syrian-fighters-2020-9-2-39/

So like 2 loving weeks ago Azerbaijan denied a turkish base existing inisde the country.

3 Days ago, Lindsey Snell reports the transport of 70 Syrian soldiers to Baku

https://twitter.com/LindseySnell/status/1309554207297605638

TFSA Pissed about siding with Shias.

loving look at this:

https://twitter.com/KevorkAlmassian/status/1308085986082140160

jfc this is what the Syrian Free Army is up to now?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

It's not exactly a Free Army if they get a salary.

Although, I would be extremely wary of rumours like this, especially in the Caucasus. Everything's possible but then during the Chechnyan and Georgian wars there were rumours of two metre tall Latvian female NATO mercenary snipers.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Oh you mean Mirdza? Yeah she's cool.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Reuters, citing sources in the Syrian opposition factions: Turkey has provided each fighter who transports to Azerbaijan a monthly salary of $ 1500

Okay, So the salaries went from $600 to $1500, this sounds like the opposition either getting mixed messages or spreading bullshit.

Also a "plane" aka a drone and a heli shot down
Drone:

Helicopter:

Armenia:

Restrictions on leaving the country for men from 18 to 55 years old have been introduced in Armenia, they can leave only with the permission of military enlistment offices

making them walk into a recruiting office and pressing them into service the second they do.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 28, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FSA proper has been dead for years. Just about anyone left fighting in Syria now has basically been fighting all their adult lives, them essentially becoming regional mercs makes a decent amount of sense, it's not too far removed from the Chechnyans who kept showing up in Middle East conflicts some years back.

It's a mixture of ideology, extensive experience, and realizing that you might as well get paid for doing something you know how to do and are already doing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Randarkman posted:

FSA proper has been dead for years. Just about anyone left fighting in Syria now has basically been fighting all their adult lives, them essentially becoming regional mercs makes a decent amount of sense, it's not too far removed from the Chechnyans who kept showing up in Middle East conflicts some years back.

It's a mixture of ideology, extensive experience, and realizing that you might as well get paid for doing something you know how to do and are already doing.
I thought it's not referring to FSA proper, but to Syrian National Army aka Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army (yes, another FSA).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Dwesa posted:

I thought it's not referring to FSA proper, but to Syrian National Army aka Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army (yes, another FSA).

True, there are so many it's hard to keep track of which is which.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

8 Hours ago Macron and Putin (France has had ties with russia for a hundred + years) denounced the war, called for a ceasefire. etc.

Azerbaijan's propaganda war is in full swing with videos being posted online of UAVs utterly annihilating armenian vehicles.

More potential evidence of Syrian fighters. This person is claimed to be a syrian TFSA with a fairly fresh uniform for the conflicts of syria.

Also Planes from "Silk Way Airlines" have been flying in Armenian territory with no callsigns, this being a major private contractor for the Azerbaijan security forces & gov't as a whole.

Russia MFA expresses deep concern over Syria and Libya rebels deployment to Azerbaijan, that creates threat to entire region

OH another slight rumor

Armenian Defense Ministry announced that Azerbaijan handed over the control of the air operation in Karabakh to the Turkish Air Force.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SFA is Turkey's store brand Al Nusra.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

True, there are so many it's hard to keep track of which is which.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoIl7g8AAbM

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Iran state media denies weapons being brought into Armenia from Iran

Later, confirmed trucks came from russia, to iran, to armenia.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
This war is such depressing news (not that other wars are uplifting). I visited Armenia 5 years ago. An old and proud country, but also very poor and with very negative demographics. As soon as you leave the capital, you see empty houses and disrepair. Didn't look like there were many infrastructural efforts since the USSR. Its borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan are closed, which leaves only Georgia and Iran to trade with. No access to sea.

What the hell they needed Nagorno Karabakh for... Even if they manage to keep it, with great effort and further depleting meager resources, it will never be successfully integrated into Armenia or recognized by anyone. A permanent wound, and one caused by themselves.

The best thing that could happen to them is for Azerbaijan to retake it, hopefully without war crimes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Malaver posted:

What the hell they needed Nagorno Karabakh for... Even if they manage to keep it, with great effort and further depleting meager resources, it will never be successfully integrated into Armenia or recognized by anyone. A permanent wound, and one caused by themselves.
The population of Karabakh is like 90% Armenian. The area where Armenia committed war crimes to occupy is not so much the plateau itself but the lowland corridor between the Karabakh and Armenia proper, so as to have a connection between both.

Doctor Malaver posted:

The best thing that could happen to them is for Azerbaijan to retake it, hopefully without war crimes.
The only way Azerbaijan can hold the plateau is if it gets rid of the Armenians who live there. And if it is allowed to, it will do so without hesitation or remorse. Azerbaijan is led by ethno-nationalists who have a very poor track record wrt. human rights and they're assisted by jihadists recruited by Turkey who have been used to "ethnically rectify" Afrin of its Kurdish population.

When you have mixed populations in an area with one group being scattered between various mountains while the other holds the lowlands, there are usually historical reasons for that. Can you guess what happened?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

The population of Karabakh is like 90% Armenian.

Now it is, but before the 1991 war it was only 75%.

Cat Mattress posted:

The only way Azerbaijan can hold the plateau is if it gets rid of the Armenians who live there. And if it is allowed to, it will do so without hesitation or remorse. Azerbaijan is led by ethno-nationalists who have a very poor track record wrt. human rights and they're assisted by jihadists recruited by Turkey who have been used to "ethnically rectify" Afrin of its Kurdish population.

Having a part of your country under occupation does tend to bring out nationalists. I'm not saying that otherwise Azerbaijan would've been liberal and rosy but they probably wouldn't make the life of Armenians in Karabakh any more difficult than it is now, under Armenian rule.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Doctor Malaver posted:

Having a part of your country under occupation does tend to bring out nationalists. I'm not saying that otherwise Azerbaijan would've been liberal and rosy but they probably wouldn't make the life of Armenians in Karabakh any more difficult than it is now, under Armenian rule.

https://archive.org/details/gorbachevfactor00brow_0/page/262/mode/2up
hmm yes Azerbaijan will totally not resume it's previous policy of language, cultural, and historical suppression.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Malaver posted:

Unfortunately I don't think ethnically-cleansing the region again is a very good approach. It sucks but I think the only option is to either maintain status quo or actually find a peaceful way for the two populations to coexist. lol.

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Montenegro - Milo Đukanović, who ruled Montenegro since the nineties until very recently, based his power on cigarette smuggling. Italian courts connected him with mafia. There are two Serbian flags because the country has a significant Serb minority and these last elections were in large part about the Serbian Orthodox Church.
Croatia - Ustashe. I don't know if stormy clouds have a meaning.
Serbia - Chetniks, slivovitz, opanci (traditional footwear).
Slovenia - barbed wire they were quick to put up while other Balkan states were accepting immigrants; fist with thumb sticking out - symbol of dishonesty and spite; lime leaf as a traditional symbol; traditional footwear
Macedonia - peppers as traditional food; orthodox cross over the Albanian eagle - they have a strong and growing Albanian minority; grenades are a reference to the 2001 armed conflict with them
Bosnia - various symbols of war and destruction - cannons, fire, mass graves

The original link does not work for me, so here it is on Instagram for the curious.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBp6UeopQho/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The summaries are pretty accurate, I would add the the storm clouds on the Croatian panel would be a reference to Operation Storm. The knives the Serb character is holding might also be a reference to the film “Nož”.

The character bashing in the head of a kneeling figure in the Croatian panel is also reminiscent of a scene in the film” Savior” (starring Dennis Quaid of all people). There is also an instance of a Serb character in that film using a knife to steal a ring from an elderly Bosnian woman.

Both “Nož” and “Savior” in turn reference real events from WW2 and the 90’s of course. I know sledgehammers were used by the Ustaše to kill Serbs, Jews, Roma et al. Not sure about specific, remarkable real life associations with Chetniks and knives (which is why only the film “Nož” springs to mind) but the Ustaše were also particularly fond of a curved knife/glove combo they called a Serbosjek.

Pretty evocative illustration, to say the least.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Day x of the Navalny poisoning, the Russian authorities still see no reason to open an investigation into the case. I just want everyone to keep this in mind when they read a post by a 20 year old troll fabric employee posting "what does Putin gain from this?? He is too important and powerful to worry about some blogger guy". I don't know what kind of hosed up revenge fantasies fester in his head, but he has an international scandal and accusations of using a military grade nerve agent because a person was almost killed on the soil of the country he ruled for the 20 years and the press secretary comes out saying this was a CIA plot to make Russia look bad. And the funny thing noted by Navalny himself in a recent blog post is that the press secretary's whole family has citizenship of various EU countries because family deserves best.

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...bd-39a99b5b86f4

quote:

DER SPIEGEL: What happened then?

Navalny: I don't understand what is happening to me. The stewards come by with the trolley. I first want to ask them for water, but I then say: No, let me by, I'm going to the bathroom. I wash myself with cold water, sit down and wait and then wash myself again. And then I think: If I don't get out now, I'll never get out. The most important feeling was: You are feeling no pain, but you know you're dying. And I mean, right now, yet nothing hurts. I leave the toilet, turn to the steward - and instead of asking for help, I say, to my own surprise: "I've been poisoned. I'm dying." And then I lay down on the ground in front of him to die. He’s the last thing I see - a face that looks at me with slight astonishment and a light smile. He says: "Poisoned?" and by that he probably means I was served bad chicken.

And the last thing I hear, already on the floor is: Do you have heart problems? But my heart doesn't hurt. Nothing hurts. All I know is that I am dying. Then I hear voices growing ever quieter, and a woman calling: "Don't leave us! Don't leave us!" Then it's over. I know I'm dead. Only later would it turn out that I was wrong.

DER SPIEGEL: There's a video shot by a passenger in which your screams can be heard on the plane. It sounds horrible, almost like the cries of an animal.

Navalny: I've watched it - it's circulating on the internet under the title: "Navalny screaming in pain." But it wasn't pain. It was something else, worse. Pain makes you feel like you're alive. But in this case, you sense: This is the end.

DER SPIEGEL: But if Putin is behind it, why did he let you out of the country?

Navalny: I think they were determined not to let me leave the country, so they declared publicly that I was not fit to be transported. They were waiting for me to die. But thanks to the support for me and thanks to the efforts of my wife, the whole thing threatened to turn into a kind of online reality show called: "Navalny Dies in Omsk." And an enormous amount of people, to whom I am very grateful, said: We don't want to watch that show. It's important to Putin’s people that they don’t give their opponent martyr status, that they don't give him - whether dead or alive - any political capital. If I had died in Omsk or suffered permanent harm there, it clearly would have been their responsibility. It might not have been possible to prove the use of Novichok in that case, but it clearly would have been their fault that I was not allowed to leave the country. Besides, they did wait 48 hours, likely hoping that the poison could no longer be proven after that.

DER SPIEGEL: Is Putin really that interested in you? He's very preoccupied with his foreign policy ambitions.

Navalny: It is often claimed that his sole focus anymore is geopolitics, that he doesn't care about anything else. But that's not true. He saw what happened in Khabarovsk, where people have been taking to the streets in protest for 80 days now and the Kremlin still has no idea what to do with them. The Kremlin realized they had to take extreme measures to prevent a "Belarusian scenario." The system is fighting for survival and we have felt the consequences.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Unfortunately I don't think ethnically-cleansing the region again is a very good approach. It sucks but I think the only option is to either maintain status quo or actually find a peaceful way for the two populations to coexist. lol.

crazy how that coexistence just randomly worked for 70 years in the middle of the 20th century

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 2, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vasukhani posted:

crazy how that coexistence just worked for 70 years in the middle of the 20th century

obviously we need the Soviet Union back. If we can have a Russian (or, even better, Georgian) dictator oppressing both Azerbaijanis and Armenians equally, they will stop feuding for as long as the boot remains applied on their neck.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

obviously we need the Soviet Union back. If we can have a Russian (or, even better, Georgian) dictator oppressing both Azerbaijanis and Armenians equally, they will stop feuding for as long as the boot remains applied on their neck.

Agreed. So do Armenians and Azeris, by like 80%

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

CheGayvara posted:

The summaries are pretty accurate, I would add the the storm clouds on the Croatian panel would be a reference to Operation Storm. The knives the Serb character is holding might also be a reference to the film “Nož”.

Yeah, operation Storm. Good catch!

I don't think the films are any reference here. Savior didn't leave much of an impact, and I've never even heard of Nož. Knifes are just a general war crimes reference.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
So in the latest news, Azerbaijan is hitting cities with cluster munitions, Armenia is accused of targeting a major dam with long range missiles, and the Syrian mercenaries are confirmed with dozens allegedly killed already.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why does this news make my stomach turn? It's the ghosts of syria back to haunt us.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why does this news make my stomach turn? It's the ghosts of syria back to haunt us.

this is the ghost of something far worse than even syria

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vasukhani posted:

this is the ghost of something far worse than even syria

Soviet country planning meant to seed conflicts in the post soviet world. I know you are fully correct

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Guess who is interested in freshly combat-proven drones useful against Russian systems?

https://defence-ua.com/news/zsu_hoche_pridbati_do_48_udarno_rozviduvalnih_bpla_bayraktar_tb2-1778.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/2020Belarus/status/1313422491658981376

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Looks like Turkey is basing F16s in azerbaijan and running sorties against armenia. Earlier in the week I posted a Twitter about turkey taking over command of azerbaijan air force in the conflict. Looks like this is further proof of cooperation at the very least.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Soviet country planning meant to seed conflicts in the post soviet world. I know you are fully correct

divide et impera taken to extreme, but with added putler sauce
this poo poo can get way worse than early 90s wars and can get a political distraction for even usa elections

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
In Ukraine they have law that pays soldiers about 200$ when they do not shoot during the ceasefire a month.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

darthzeta88 posted:

In Ukraine they have law that pays soldiers about 200$ when they do not shoot during the ceasefire a month.

Which law is that? I did a quick search and nothing came up

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I just want to say, what concerns Belarus protests, every bit of support helps. This thing is not a clear progress bar when we are at 50% or who knows? The regime appears unshakable until it suddenly crumbles down. I liked a little face Svetlana made when asked if she fears Russian persecution, and Euronews apparently liked it too. The regime will do its best not to indicate how weak it is so international reaction is very important. We don't know WTF. Are we losing? I think we are losing.

Another odd thing which is probably not important. Russian news agency Regnum, which is normally not worth reading due to frothing in the mouth pro Kremlin position which puts even RT to shame. Suddenly posted that on friday there was a secret court in Zhodino about members of the police who refused to be violent against protesters. Peaceful protesters, thats what IA Regnum called them. Not CIA-bought, polish sponsored insane maniacs, drug addicts and unemplyed prostitutes. Peaceful protesters

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Nitrox posted:

Which law is that? I did a quick search and nothing came up

It is some new law, but I can confirm it as I get paid an extra 5800 hrv for not shooting. Guy I know shot cats that kept eating the food and had a report written did not get paid because he shot during ceasefire, even if he did not shoot at separatists.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Wow Lukashenko visited prisoners in KGB detention to talk to them. This literally never happened ever. Than the cynic in me realized that this is just for show "I met everyone, neglected noone". For future edition of constitution.

E: also, we are losing

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 10, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

Wow Lukashenko visited prisoners in KGB detention to talk to them. This literally never happened ever. Than the cynic in me realized that this is just for show "I met everyone, neglected noone". For future edition of constitution.

E: also, we are losing

It is for show, but it means he needs to put on that show now. He went from 'I don't even need to talk to the so-called opposition, they don't represent anyone but foreign powers' to talking with people whom he used to call traitors and worse. It reeks of desperation. Similarly, Belarusian foreign minister Makey spoke to his EU counterpart Josep Borrell recently, and Borrell once again highlighted the importance of dialogue, while Lavrov echoed that sentiment on the same day. Might have something to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I work in transport and recently had a talk with a lawyer in London who gave us 40 something list of banned people who we are not allowed to work with.