Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Strife posted:

Back to Massholes, but lifted pickup trucks, minivans, and green license plates. Guys in lifted trucks always have something to prove, people in minivans are trying to wrangle their kids or whatever while on their 138th listen of Baby Shark for the day, and green license plates are for plates registered before 1987, so they're always elderly.

I thought this was going to poo poo on vermonters but was disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Microinfractions of a Hapless Spandex Fuckboy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Decent, decent

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This link isn’t working

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I always forget, is that Bukowski or Thompson?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lol I love it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

#blessed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that was decent but I liked the first album more

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, California's ban of (most) new ICE vehicles by 2035 includes offroad dirt bikes. I can't imagine dirt bikes in CA are a huge source of CO2 emissions compared to something like shipping oil from Saudi Arabia to CA despite the incredible amount of oil still in the ground here. But it's fairly evidence CARB is run by people who absolutely hate all kinds of vehicles.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, California's ban of (most) new ICE vehicles by 2035 includes offroad dirt bikes. I can't imagine dirt bikes in CA are a huge source of CO2 emissions compared to something like shipping oil from Saudi Arabia to CA despite the incredible amount of oil still in the ground here. But it's fairly evidence CARB is run by people who absolutely hate all kinds of vehicles.

Motorcycles produce more NO emissions per pound than cars, but by volume bikes are a pittance of emissions. IIRC the 15 or 16 largest cargo ships in the world create more emissions than all cars worldwide, so you're not far off with the oil from SA thing

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, I'm not big on that, but it's hard to argue that dirt bikes are anything but purely recreational, they'll have made enough YZs to last until the heat death of the universe, and you'll be able to build one from a VIN tag.

My goal is to be charging my dirtbike during breaks between trails by then anyways.

E: CA's ban on two strokes goes into effect next year, right?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Bring on the rad electrics

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

RadioPassive posted:

Bring on the rad electrics

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The CAHOG thread is primarily for Harleys right? And therefore, as there is no cruiser thread yet, creating one would be a good idea right?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

The CAHOG thread is primarily for Harleys right? And therefore, as there is no cruiser thread yet, creating one would be a good idea right?

Nah it's meant for general cruisers. There's only like four of us here with Harleys anyway, so if someone doesn't post something else in that thread it's just going to lowside right off the forums.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cool cool, will post in the CAHOG thread.

edit:

Wait, the CAHOG thread is locked:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443364

However, there is a HOG thread, which I'll post in:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932207

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

lol california

Elviscat posted:

E: CA's ban on two strokes goes into effect next year, right?

lol california

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Now I'm genuinely curious about the calculus involved with drilling in America and the impact it would have on the land and people vs shipping it from overseas where it was drilled in the middle of a desert.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

right arm posted:

lol california
Drags Honda generator out to middle of nowhere to recharge EV dirt bikes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Yuns posted:

Drags Honda generator out to middle of nowhere to recharge EV dirt bikes.

lol fr

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
BRB building a car dealership in Arizona

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I mean those Altas or whatever are honestly pretty sick. And I don’t know why but I’m way more open to EV bikes than cars in terms of me accepting them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, outside of range anxiety, ICE dirtbikes/dualsports are far worse of an experience than I imagine electric would be. Sure thing let me drown out the woods, cook during low speed stuff, and hunt for gears. When I started mountain biking it blew my mind how much nicer of an experience in the woods it was.

And I definitely want an electric supermoto for stealth shenanigans..

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Now I'm genuinely curious about the calculus involved with drilling in America and the impact it would have on the land and people vs shipping it from overseas where it was drilled in the middle of a desert.

A lot of the drilling in California may as well be in Saudi Arabia in terms of being in the middle of nowhere:

California uses its own special blend of gas, so even if we import gasoline it tends to be in the form of various gasoline components that still get blended to CA specs at a CA refinery. The "greenest" way for CA to get gas would be using 100% CA oil production with pipelines that go straight to the refineries (it's not what people expect but pipelines are by far the safest way to transport oil, plus you don't have the emissions from the tanker trucks). However this is California so more pipelines are not going to be built. CA also has some of the most stringent regulations in the world on oil production, so it's going to be "cleanest" produced oil. And that's without even getting into the human rights issues of Saudi Arabia, nor the terrorism issues.

But we're more concerned with what looks/sounds green versus looking at actual numbers, which is my complaint on the dirt bike thing. It's not just CO2 emissions though, you really don't want tankers idling in port, but I'm as hooked on cheap goods from China/overseas as everyone else is.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
but lanesplitting is still legal, so by god they'll be ON TIME to the climate collapse

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today in Phy Learns: Birds doing weird things on the sidewalk are not a valid reason to pay less attention to the road. Grabbed too much brake to avoid pasting myself on the back of a box truck that was slowing down more than I expected, and I felt the tires going in directions I'd rather they not. Ultimately, the bike stayed upright and unpasted, but it was a near miss to be sure.

This is maybe the first time I've really felt a desire to have ABS. Despite doing the occasional set of panic-brake practice runs, I still get grabby when I'm genuinely startled.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Abs wouldn't necessarily make things better for you because you haven't sufficiently trained yourself to have the correct response in a panic. If you're doing the wrong thing in situations where you haven't got time to think, you haven't practiced enough/practiced wrong; your muscle memory and automatic responses aren't programmed to do the right thing, and the dumb monkey brains we all have from the factory can't improvise when they're in a panic.

As a general rule, nobody in the history of bikes got better at riding by adding gadgets (ok maybe the guy who came up with automatic timing advance). You can't buy or upgrade your way out of being crap, it's all just practice and training and targeted improvement for your mind and body.

At the same time you didn't crash so you did something right. It sounds like one of those situations where you wouldn't have needed to use your skill if you had used more judgement, but you can't always depend on judgement keeping you out of the poo poo no matter how careful you are so it's best to have some skill too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cointerpoint: It's highly unlikely that even with "training and reflexes" you'll be a not poo poo rider 100% of the time. I mean yeah, I'm mostly good and the other day panic braked in a similar situation just fine (on a strange bike no less). But my next bike will have ABS (and TCS if I can), no exception.

Like if you are a god of motorcycling then ABS doesn't even hurt. You just never use it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good thing I didn't say 'don't get abs', but rather 'abs won't make you not-poo poo' and, actually, I take offense at your basic premise. It very much is possible to be a not-poo poo rider 100% of the time, I reject the idea that we're somehow guaranteed to crash eventually.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Good thing I didn't say 'don't get abs', but rather 'abs won't make you not-poo poo' and, actually, I take offense at your basic premise. It very much is possible to be a not-poo poo rider 100% of the time, I reject the idea that we're somehow guaranteed to crash eventually.

I thought that too until a dumptruck ejected its load all over the highway at 65mph, but maybe I missed something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Cointerpoint: It's highly unlikely that even with "training and reflexes" you'll be a not poo poo rider 100% of the time. I mean yeah, I'm mostly good and the other day panic braked in a similar situation just fine (on a strange bike no less). But my next bike will have ABS (and TCS if I can), no exception.

Like if you are a god of motorcycling then ABS doesn't even hurt. You just never use it.

No, I get where he's coming from - if you don't have the skills to cope in an emergency then ABS will be of less use to you than if you do.

ABS grants a good rider the ability to use the concentration they would have been using on not falling over, on being able to spot potential escape routes and then being able to take them with considerably more confidence than if they didn't have ABS. That's not to say ABS is pointless (or even harmful) to the neophyte, just that they shouldn't think it excuses them from having to learn how to cope in emergencies.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

IF YOU'RE NOT PREPARED TO THRESHOLD BRAKE AT EVERY SECOND YOU'RE A TERRIBLE RIDER AND SHOULDN'T HAVE EVEN BEEN BORN, ABS IS FOR PUSSIES AND COMMIEFORNIA RESIDENTS (SAME THING LOL) YOU COMPLETE loving BABIES I HATE YOU FURTHERMORE

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I wish I were living in COMMIEFORNIA another one of those times it would be awesome if the accusation were true

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone here, I've been on advrider too much lately.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

At the same time you didn't crash so you did something right. It sounds like one of those situations where you wouldn't have needed to use your skill if you had used more judgement, but you can't always depend on judgement keeping you out of the poo poo no matter how careful you are so it's best to have some skill too.

This was essentially my takeaway overall and why I opened with "birds are not a reason to divert your attention". Yes, it's not great that my muscle memory says "GRAB BREAK LIKE IT OWS U MONEY", but the chief failure today was allowing myself to get into a situation where I needed to test that. ABS makes it harder to lock the brake in a panic situation, but it can't watch the road for you. But it does help with locking the brake. Which is why, if my next bike isn't an imported DAEG, it'll have ABS.

But hopefully that's a lot of years in the future.

e: I will allow that the same muscle memory that went "GRAB BREAK" also noticed what was happening and got the wheels to recover in a reasonably controlled fashion. My body isn't a total idiot, but as always, it needs work. Ok that I recovered it and didn't ride myself into a lowside, better if I hadn't locked any brakes, best if I hadn't needed to brake hard at all.

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

You misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not saying you shouldn't strive to be good, but motorcycles are pretty far outside of a human being's design case and a safety net is nice. We have the tech for safety nets why hate it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

This was essentially my takeaway overall and why I opened with "birds are not a reason to divert your attention". Yes, it's not great that my muscle memory says "GRAB BREAK LIKE IT OWS U MONEY", but the chief failure today was allowing myself to get into a situation where I needed to test that. ABS makes it harder to lock the brake in a panic situation, but it can't watch the road for you. But it does help with locking the brake. Which is why, if my next bike isn't an imported DAEG, it'll have ABS.

People occasionally talk about The Tingle in here, wherein you get this sensation that someone in traffic near you is about to do something dangerous or stupid, usually communicated by subtle things like vehicle speed or a driver's head moving too much that would be hard to realize you'd seen. I've never experienced that per se, but I do get a little tingle every now and then telling me "hey, you looked at that dog a little too long" or "stop wondering if you want the stir fry with rice or noodles," and then have it validated by some skidmark merging in without looking.
Point being, vigilance is the number one motorcycle safety behavior, it takes as much practice as cornering and hard braking, and pretty much everyone lapses in it, probably more often than we're willing to admit. I hardly ever ride in town and avoid traffic as much as possible because I know I'm way out of practice with the kind of awareness it takes to stay upright and uninjured in town.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mainly posted about this to try and shame myself into being better about that lol. This year's been not great for me in terms of keeping my brain ahead of my wheels and it's led to other near misses as well.

But it's funny what you can pick up. I never got into the habit of watching drivers' heads - kind of pointless when so many cars have window tint now, I feel - but I can often tell when someone is about to change lanes just by how close they're edging to the line. This is entirely divorced from when/if they signal.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Strife posted:

a dumptruck ejected its load all over the highway

Phrasing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

I thought that too until a dumptruck ejected its load all over the highway at 65mph, but maybe I missed something.

I've only had two crashes I would put in the act-of-god category like this one and honestly you could've been on a MotoGP bike or a brough superior and it would've changed nothing.

Coydog posted:

You misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not saying you shouldn't strive to be good, but motorcycles are pretty far outside of a human being's design case and a safety net is nice. We have the tech for safety nets why hate it.

I don't hate abs, I hate crap riders. Abs is good and worthwhile but not a substitute for knowing how to ride; I personally have never been in a situation where abs would've prevented me crashing and I don't believe that is a coincidence, but it could easily have gone the other way when I was still really green. I also think it being mandatory is a good thing with no real drawbacks besides inconvenience for mechanics.

That being said, a little light and a buzz in the lever is NOT a substitute for feeling the tyres lock up, because there's a lot more to dealing with the situation than just what you do with the brakes and you can't learn any of that poo poo looking at an ABS light. As usual: dirt bikes are the best way to learn.

Phy posted:

e: I will allow that the same muscle memory that went "GRAB BREAK" also noticed what was happening and got the wheels to recover in a reasonably controlled fashion. My body isn't a total idiot, but as always, it needs work. Ok that I recovered it and didn't ride myself into a lowside, better if I hadn't locked any brakes, best if I hadn't needed to brake hard at all.

Cultivating this mindset and acting on it in every corner on every ride is how you get better and is worth a thousand times more than any electronic aid or suspension improvement.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 1, 2020