Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ERR_INTEGER_OVERFLOW caught in module fart_tracker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does it record the sleep farts?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It must do, why even let me know otherwise

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I did not realize apps finally had the capability to distinguish sleep farts vs sharts, good job technology.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Clapping vs bubbling

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

Does it record the sleep farts?

I was talking in my sleep a bit a while back and I got an app that records the noises you make

So yes, it really does.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Memento posted:

I was talking in my sleep a bit a while back and I got an app that records the noises you make

So yes, it really does.

Do you recommend that? Because I am very curious

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brawnfire posted:

Do you recommend that? Because I am very curious

I'm not sure how good it was for its stated purpose of "find out what sort of sleep you're getting, so you can try different things when you're asleep (white noise, etc)". I think if you paired it with some sort of sensor it would be better for actually telling you what was going on, but as far as a curiosity thing it was pretty cool to be able to hear what happened at night. I'm a pretty light sleeper so usually what would happen is it would record the noise and then record that I had woken up. I'm not sure how it did this but it instructed you to put your phone under your pillow, so I guess some sort of vibration detection?

Most of what it caught was either my pets being idiots, farts, or my kids waking up and asking for a drink of milk.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The phone of the lactose intolerant goon that only eats cheese just records constantly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Memento posted:

I'm not sure how good it was for its stated purpose of "find out what sort of sleep you're getting, so you can try different things when you're asleep (white noise, etc)". I think if you paired it with some sort of sensor it would be better for actually telling you what was going on, but as far as a curiosity thing it was pretty cool to be able to hear what happened at night. I'm a pretty light sleeper so usually what would happen is it would record the noise and then record that I had woken up. I'm not sure how it did this but it instructed you to put your phone under your pillow, so I guess some sort of vibration detection?

Most of what it caught was either my pets being idiots, farts, or my kids waking up and asking for a drink of milk.

This sounds awesome tbh, I love having records of poo poo that happens while I'm unconscious, especially if I say something bonkers or make a weird-rear end noise. And maybe I'll find out just how bad my sleep apnea truly is.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

This sounds awesome tbh, I love having records of poo poo that happens while I'm unconscious, especially if I say something bonkers or make a weird-rear end noise. And maybe I'll find out just how bad my sleep apnea truly is.

Check out Sleep Cycle it’s a pretty good app if you want to get some insight on sleep

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

what is the appeal of these games, it's not real money, it's not loot boxes, wtf?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

https://twitter.com/fin_costick/status/1182333947361005568?s=20

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love how the pitch gets higher.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

snoo posted:

what is the appeal of these games, it's not real money, it's not loot boxes, wtf?

You put money in, it makes a lot of noises and bright colours, and you keep doing that till you have no money left. So it's exactly the same as actual slot machines but without that weird glitch where sometimes some of the money you put in comes back out so you have to waste time putting it back in again.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Some Goon posted:

The Magic the Gathering / The Walking Dead crossover that's got all of the Magic internet on fire right now.

I googled this and all i can ask is why?
I want to see the market research that lead them to pick TWD of all things.

Queen-Of-Hearts has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Oct 1, 2020

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I googled this and all i can ask is why?
I want to see the market research that lead them to pick TWD of all things.

From what I can gather, it's not the fact they're crossing over with TWD. This year they also did a collab with Godzilla that went over extremely well. Its the combination of their decisions to make them a) tournament legal, b) unique cards (the Godzilla cards were just reworded cards from their just-released kaiju set) and c) limited run. So if one of these cards became key to a meta-defining combo down the line, these cards that already cost $50 for the set would go way, way up. It'd result in a situation where only the people wiling to spend a possible grand on a single card would be the ones winning tournaments. It's happened before with common cards, and is extremely poor planning on their part, especially since they might not ever be able to print these again if their TWD license expires.

This is combined with on the same day them announcing a new banlist that neglected to do anything about a handful of cards that are so imbalanced that long-time players have confessed they no longer find the game fun anymore because of them. Like, so imbalanced that your deck won't be tournament-viable without them. This has happened before with a card called Jace the Mind Sculptor and it led to a huge disinterest in the competitive scene for a while.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That's why people are mad, why they chose to collaborate with a tv series well past it's prime is an open question. I suspect it's "AMC came calling with a bundle of money", but no one can say for sure.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
To be fair the collaboration was probably signed a few years ago, tho i think walking dead was dieing even like as early as 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
AMC announced recently that The Walking Dead was getting like three more spinoffs and movies. I have no idea who the audience is anymore.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People are fans mostly by inertia. Almost like some mindless greedy horde.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Henchman of Santa posted:

AMC announced recently that The Walking Dead was getting like three more spinoffs and movies. I have no idea who the audience is anymore.

23.1 million people still tune in every week to watch NCIS: New Orleans.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kay Kessler posted:

From what I can gather, it's not the fact they're crossing over with TWD. This year they also did a collab with Godzilla that went over extremely well. Its the combination of their decisions to make them a) tournament legal, b) unique cards (the Godzilla cards were just reworded cards from their just-released kaiju set) and c) limited run. So if one of these cards became key to a meta-defining combo down the line, these cards that already cost $50 for the set would go way, way up. It'd result in a situation where only the people wiling to spend a possible grand on a single card would be the ones winning tournaments. It's happened before with common cards, and is extremely poor planning on their part, especially since they might not ever be able to print these again if their TWD license expires.

This is combined with on the same day them announcing a new banlist that neglected to do anything about a handful of cards that are so imbalanced that long-time players have confessed they no longer find the game fun anymore because of them. Like, so imbalanced that your deck won't be tournament-viable without them. This has happened before with a card called Jace the Mind Sculptor and it led to a huge disinterest in the competitive scene for a while.

I barely know anything about Magic since about 2003 (the last set I remember is Planeshift.)The Planeswalker cards still confuse me. But this is fascinating. I want to hear more about the new ban list and what's so special about Jace.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’d also be interested. I assume there must be a “how wizards has hosed up MTG over the years” thread in the Table top gamin subforum, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kay Kessler posted:

I think most TCGs are playing it pretty safe right now, since they don't have a lot of events going on so they want to give people a bit more of a chance to play the new cards than they normally would. I know Yugioh's in the same sort of situation right now.

Granted, Yugioh's not dealing with a 'cards too overpowered for you to not use'. Right now theirs is more 'one card that you always need to have a game plan for', which is less painful.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Usually when a card is as broken as Jace there's some power combo with another card that wasn't foreseen and as a result the more powerful card had to go. There's no such entertaining story here. Jace was just really loving good.

The top 3 abilities are just really good all around, the fact that the first two are free is even more mind boggling. The last one is also incredibly powerful even if the cost is prohibitive.

Edit: Ah crap im sorry I didn't realize the resolution and I cant change attached images.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Oct 1, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have been out of the game way too long, I have no idea what those numbers on the side mean

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RandomFerret posted:

I have been out of the game way too long, I have no idea what those numbers on the side mean

It's basically an enchantment with health (the number in the bottom right). Once per your turn it can gain/lose the amount of health listed to activate the noted ability. And your oppo can attack it with creatures to lower it's health.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah short version is its his HP. You can do one of those moves once per turn and the ones with positive values (usually weaker) add health and negative take it away. The fact you can force discard an opponent's card not just for free but only makes him stronger is just the tip of his bullshit.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Thank you, that is insane

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

And then they made an even better Planeswalker just last year!

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=473159

There are a lot of banned Magic cards from recent sets: https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/banned-restricted

This is after Wizards made a big hullabaloo about having professional players playtest and balance these sets so that the power level is reasonable. Many, if not all, of those cards aren't even banned because of some random unforeseen edge case interaction, it was literally the most obvious interaction you can have with them. Then the newest set, Zendikar Rising, printed Omnath, who many people speculate will be eating a ban at some point. This isn't even getting to cards like Scute Swarm, which aren't overpowered, but that may or may not be breaking the MTGA client and is possibly impossible to play in person. Why, you may wonder?

In addition to the sheer number of creatures on the board, I would like to direct your attention to the 212 effects on the stack to poo poo out more of these things.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I can understand them not expecting Omnath to take off like it did. That's the classic mistake of thinking that having it cost 4 different colors would keep it from being too powerful (spoilers: it didn't). But they have no excuse for Oko. Giving a player the ability to permanently morph any creature or artifact giving them any trouble into a mediocre elk? Once a turn? For three mana? On top of that, using that ability each turn makes him harder to get rid of. And that's just one of its abilities. They don't even have the excuse that Jace did where planeswalkers were still new and they were still feeling out how strong was too strong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You got to sell these sets somehow

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Jace is good, and stupidly so, but what pushed me out of competitive play was Skullclamp back in the first Mirrodin cycle. That one card took a healthy Standard format with 8-12 viable decks in the top 2 tiers and made it into a 3 deck format, period. Clamps were uncommon (aka rarely more than $10 apiece) and I sold my last playset (4x) for $165 about a week before the ban went into effect, well after they had announced that Skullclamp was either going to be banned, errata'd (rewritten) or restricted (meaning you can't use 4 in a deck, which would have been the first Restricted card in Standard Format since it was created after the Urza's block).

Magic is fun, but Wizards has little idea what they're doing when they print cards. The Future Future League (where they play with unreleased sets) is all staff members and former pros who no longer give a poo poo, they're not building great decks, they're playing casual magic with unprinted cards.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

This noise scared the poo poo out of my dog. Now I know why she doesn't sleep at the bottom of the bed anymore. :(

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

You got to sell these sets somehow

This.
It's all pretty much traceable. Standard (the main format the game is played in), had had very few bans in its lifetime. There was one big one in Urza's block, in 1999, because that was a set before they started figuring things out, then in 2004-2005 the Mirrodin block had another few bans because the synergy had been just too strong, which led to a period of quiet.
Things continued smoothly until 2011, with no Standard bans. In 2011, Jace the Mind Sculptor (posted above), and Stoneforge Mystic were banned. Strong cards, but just pushed a bit too far, and Wizards seemed to take them as a lesson.

So we went from 5 years without a ban, to 6 years without one, pretty fair, can't be perfect all the time.

Things are good until January 2017, when another 3 cards were banned, and the ban schedule changes. Another 6 years without a ban, fair enough. In April's scheduled ban announcement, no bans, then two days later, they revised it to ban a common card which was part of a two-card infinite combo, something that should've been caught before the two saw play together. June saw another card banned, making it a year with three separate bannings (total of five cards).
January 2018, another four cards are banned. We've gone from going years between bans, to basically having them be part of regularity, within the span of a year.
February 2019, a card is banned from the online Standard game (separate to the paper one). August sees an unbanning from Standard, but the card remains banned online. So far so good, until October, which sees a card banned from paper, and November sees another three (including the non-Jace planeswalker mentioned above).
2020 sees stuff ramping up more. Two cards banned in June, another four in August, and another one now in September, and yet there's still "problematic" cards that are not addressed.

It feels very cynical to me, how pushed cards are printed, you basically need them to compete, they sell their packs, then they get banned. Magic is supposed to have the advantage of set rotation (you basically can't use cards older than a certain time etc), compared to Yu-Gi-Oh! (which just has a banned and restricted list), but with multiple bans a year, it kinda shakes your faith in the whole situation.

Edit:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The thing is, there's an obvious way to cut this Gordian knot, and it's just... the inverse of what they did for Godzilla.

Unless the cards' mechanics are TWD-specific somehow, it wouldn't be very hard to just refluff them into a generic zombie block that conveniently has cards with all the same mechanics in the event they lose the TWD license.

The Head Designer for Magic has said that they can do functional reprints of them, printing them with different names, like you said.

Serperoth has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Oct 1, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kay Kessler posted:

especially since they might not ever be able to print these again if their TWD license expires.

The thing is, there's an obvious way to cut this Gordian knot, and it's just... the inverse of what they did for Godzilla.

Unless the cards' mechanics are TWD-specific somehow, it wouldn't be very hard to just refluff them into a generic zombie block that conveniently has cards with all the same mechanics in the event they lose the TWD license.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They call exodia the forbidden one but he's not actually forbidden, just cumbersome.

I think that says a lot about our society.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Either they have to put the name on the card, rule it by fiat, or some people get to play twice as many. And the cards specifically make Walker tokens, which puts a wrinkle in things.

There are a bunch of things they could do, but they haven't said much on what they will do. By my reading what they have said implies the third option is the path they're open to taking, but it's a developing situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Some Goon posted:

Either they have to put the name on the card, rule it by fiat, or some people get to play twice as many. And the cards specifically make Walker tokens, which puts a wrinkle in things.

There are a bunch of things they could do, but they haven't said much on what they will do. By my reading what they have said implies the third option is the path they're open to taking, but it's a developing situation.

Don't the Godzilla cards count as the same as their originals for deck purposes? I would just rule it so that the TWD licensed card and the generic card count as the same card. :shrug:

e: and, like, you could just rename "Walker" to "Zombie" and come up with some generic zombie art for those tokens. It's not a zero-effort fix, and would require them to pay for a bunch of new art and flavor text, but it's presumably very doable.