Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Blimpkin posted:

I arrange the Find Spouse window by Sum of All Skills and then just go down the list until I find someone worthwhile.

Yeah I do that too, there is literally no one with multiple inheritable traits. I have no problem using the filters or anything, it's that there don't exist people with multiple good traits, it seems. Is this intentional? Am I limited in who I might have access to based on some mechanic I don't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

A God drat Ghost posted:

Yeah I do that too, there is literally no one with multiple inheritable traits. I have no problem using the filters or anything, it's that there don't exist people with multiple good traits, it seems. Is this intentional? Am I limited in who I might have access to based on some mechanic I don't know about?

Maybe try through the find character screen instead?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

Hmm, can't decide if I want to break from HRE and go under Byzantine to usurp that empire to attempt to get primogeniture early. Does pressing a claim result in keeping primogeniture? What about pressing it via faction?

Actually should go and experiment with that in non-ironman
OK, so neither claim-pressing via faction or direct war results in keeping the succession of the realm you're targeting, it keeps whatever you had previously. So no skipping hundreds of years of tech via targeting Byzantium.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Characters with multiple genetic traits are extremely rare in the wild, though a handful of (premade?) courtiers seem to spawn with it sometimes on a fresh start. If you want to catch them all, you might want to consider hooking up either some family members or some vassals with spouses with the right traits, and give it a generation or two.

Edit: Hot tip: If you start as a norse character in 867, there seems to be a certain woman called "Gyda" that always spawns with Beautiful and Quick. Great wife if you're starting with a ruler that already has Quick, like Haraldr Fairhair.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 1, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I decided to reform Bori to warmongering in my Unite Africa game to speed up the conquest a bit, plus it has a whole thematic thing of "the spirits have told us we need to unite this land with the sword" and all that. So my HoF declares a GHW for a territory I would rather hold directly, turns out I can easily redirect it by paying only 500 piety, so I redirect it to Jerusalem because why not, I already have Egypt so they'll have at least one safe border to grow. Had to beat up the Byzantines for it, but I managed to wear them down despite losing a few big battles early on because I was carelessly caught out of position. Now there's Jerusalem which is Bori, but there's also a Catholic "Crusader Jerusalem" southeast of it and for some reason this is very funny to me. Especially since the Catholics had basically nothing to do with any of it, it's Orthodoxy that's super strong in this game (mostly because the 867 Byzantines are pretty buff, at least in this game that started pre-1.1.1). There is a big Christian blob in Francia too though so I'm interested to see how the game plays out.

I'm a bit disappointed that "Ritual Hospitality" doesn't seem to have any sort of event associated with it, seems to just literally be "pay 100 piety to gain 20 opinion on a cooldown" character interaction.

A God drat Ghost posted:

Are you betrothing them shortly after they're born or waiting until they're adults? The good ones might be getting betrothed early. Maybe try to set something up when they're around age 5-6 or so, or earlier if you don't mind a bit of age difference, this works better for female rulers than male ones.

The only real way to get multiple-genetic-trait partners reliably though is to get it in your dynasty and then start spreading your dynasty's genetics all over the place by marrying them into to other realms. Eventually the relationships will be distant enough such that it no longer counts as incest.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

You can also just filter the marriage options by traits, just enter the trait into the search bar and choose it when it pops up on the menu.
:stare:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I look forward to playing the intermarriage game on my next playthrough because there is only one nation that practices my religion or considers it non-evil and that's my own lol

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Speaking of genetics, I am alarmed at the overall success of marrying my cousins, or marrying cousins, in my Rostislav of Moravia 867 run. I married him to a Genius and our only child was a Genius and since that one heir, I've had a number of Geniuses pop out of a pairing of a Quick + Intelligent Cousin pairing. It's 1088 now and my current heir is a Genius from one such pairing. I've only had 2 negative traits appear and that was Wheezing and Bleeder on one daughter that I married into West Francia for a little genetic warfare.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On a side note regarding the character finder, while being able to filter for not-my-religion is very useful, I wish the finder didn't close every time I select "demand conversion". I have an enormous realm of hundreds of rulers (vassals of vassals) and many of them did not convert when I changed to a new faith. I ended up using the religion map mode and clicking on individual holdings in areas that weren't my religion instead of using the finder.

Also, for witch coven purposes, it'd help if there was a "my house" filter rather than just "my dynasty".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Broken Cog posted:

Madurai at the southern tip of India is apparently a fan favourite, as it starts with very high development, farmland, and 7 holdings.

This sounds really cool, I think this is gonna be playthrough 2 for me.

I am almost done with Kanem-Bornu game, I thought I would stop once I built the university and I educated the next generation of the dynasty... but I am so close to Uniting Africa now lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gort posted:

I'm not sure this is the game for you, really. Empires changed hands between dynasties fairly regularly in this timeframe. Between this and you never wanting to lose a title in succession, it seems like you'd be much happier playing Europa Universalis 4, where there's technically a king somewhere in there but you're really just doing map-painting as some sort of immortal country-spirit.

Also that’s misleading as the Makedon dynasty had two different emperors become puppets to non dynastic members

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Since I mentioned my MP game in my last post I thought I'd give a quick trip report as well. MP works great and I recommend it because it's extremely fun to start as 2 semi-random counts or dukes or whatever and work towards establishing an empire. I ran into 2 minor issues.

1. As the host I began experiencing slowdowns much akin to mid-late game Stellaris. Large wars, like crusades or when the HRE starts a civil war cause significant stuttering that I just haven't experienced in SP. The other player noted that these slowdowns and stuttering were not noticeable on his end. I figure the host is just doing a ton more work than other players.
2. I ran into a visual only bug where the borders of people you're at war with that blink right red and the people you ally with that blink bright blue remain blinking bright red/blue after the end of the war. Since we were in the empire making business it meant that I had tons of random borders blinking that should not have been. This was visual only and did not affect gameplay appreciably other than being irritating. I went back to main menu and rehosted the game and relaunched it and this did NOT fix it. However, after closing the game entirely and reopening the save in SP the problem went away. I imagine if I rehosted the save after closing the game the problem would go away. Seems like some things remain in memory if you go to the main menu and reload a save from there.

Other than that the experience has been excellent.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

2. I ran into a visual only bug where the borders of people you're at war with that blink right red and the people you ally with that blink bright blue remain blinking bright red/blue after the end of the war. Since we were in the empire making business it meant that I had tons of random borders blinking that should not have been. This was visual only and did not affect gameplay appreciably other than being irritating. I went back to main menu and rehosted the game and relaunched it and this did NOT fix it. However, after closing the game entirely and reopening the save in SP the problem went away. I imagine if I rehosted the save after closing the game the problem would go away. Seems like some things remain in memory if you go to the main menu and reload a save from there.

I've been noticing this in my SP game last night in 1.1.1 too.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is princely elective working as intended? The popup says that the only valid candidates should be claimants, close relatives of the current emperor, or electors. I'm the king of Romagna, and I don't meet any of that criteria, yet they're still ready to elect me next time... which I don't even really want, I'm happy doing my own thing down in Italy, I don't want the headache of dealing with all those other vassals!, not to mention France and Hungary...

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Anyone know how the Varangian trait works? It's the mid 10th century and I've seen it popping up for some of my relatives, is there anyway I can ship my useless sons off to get some experience slaughtering hippodrome hooligans?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

super fart shooter posted:

Is princely elective working as intended? The popup says that the only valid candidates should be claimants, close relatives of the current emperor, or electors. I'm the king of Romagna, and I don't meet any of that criteria, yet they're still ready to elect me next time... which I don't even really want, I'm happy doing my own thing down in Italy, I don't want the headache of dealing with all those other vassals!, not to mention France and Hungary...

The wiki claims that in addition to those, any powerful de jure vassal of the empire can be a nominee.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

JustaDamnFool posted:

Anyone know how the Varangian trait works? It's the mid 10th century and I've seen it popping up for some of my relatives, is there anyway I can ship my useless sons off to get some experience slaughtering hippodrome hooligans?

I've had unlanded men from my court as me if they could go hang out in Constantinople for a while. I think it's a decision they make, not one that you can push them to.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Why do some territories completely have the "declare war" option removed? As King of Poland I get the "declare war" option everywhere on the map except for some parts of the HRE. I have no alliances, no family living there, no truces in play, I don't already own the territory, AND have a pressed claim on it, but there's no option to declare war. It's not even greyed out, it's just completely missing. Why?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Magil Zeal posted:

The wiki claims that in addition to those, any powerful de jure vassal of the empire can be a nominee.

Well, I am a king, and powerful, but I'm still not de jure... :shrug:

edit: and now the emperor has completely hosed up his war against the pope, and 4 other people have declared on him, please guys don't elect me into this shitstorm lol

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 1, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chewbot posted:

Why do some territories completely have the "declare war" option removed? As King of Poland I get the "declare war" option everywhere on the map except for some parts of the HRE. I have no alliances, no family living there, no truces in play, I don't already own the territory, AND have a pressed claim on it, but there's no option to declare war. It's not even greyed out, it's just completely missing. Why?

Are you declaring war on the top liege, i.e. the Emperor?

super fart shooter posted:

Well, I am a king, and powerful, but I'm still not de jure... :shrug:

Yeah I don't know what's going on with Princely Elective to be honest, haven't actually played in the HRE yet. Assuming you don't own any territory outside Italia/Romagna.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Magil Zeal posted:

Are you declaring war on the top liege, i.e. the Emperor?

I'm looking for the declare war option on a couple of his vassals. I see the option on the emperor himself, and most of his other vassals, but not the ones I'm interested in- the option is just vanished. I've fast-forwarded more than a year to see if it ever comes back, but it doesn't.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 1, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you aren't a member of the same realm you need to always declare war on the head of the realm

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gaius Marius posted:

If you aren't a member of the same realm you need to always declare war on the head of the realm

In my experience if you have a claim on a vassal in another realm you'll get the declare war option when you click on the vassal, but when the war context menu comes up it's the guy's liege instead. I've never really looked at what it looks like for vassals whose land I'm not interested in.

Edit: Maybe this changed in the patch.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Ice Fist posted:

In my experience if you have a claim on a vassal in another realm you'll get the declare war option when you click on the vassal, but when the war context menu comes up it's the guy's liege instead. I've never really looked at what it looks like for vassals whose land I'm not interested in.

Edit: Maybe this changed in the patch.

Gaius Marius posted:

It looks like you're both right- in v1.0 it would automatically match you against the correct owner, in 1.1 it instead removes the option from non-realm-leader vassals, hence my confusion. I bet they changed this because people were accidentally starting empire-wide wars over individual counties without realizing it. Thanks both!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh dear me posted:

I like proper peasant revolts, not just income penalties, but to be realistic a) they should be rarer and b) you should not be able to recruit the leader into your army, convenient as that is.

Yeah, I remember after doing a conquest of an off-culture off-religion Kingdom, I had to deal with tens of thousands of rebels. I think that was still a populist uprising that gets handled the same way as general peasants, but the scale was such that it actually mattered (to an extent, they were of course no match for teleporting men-at-arms). Those uprisings were good.

Magil Zeal posted:

On a side note regarding the character finder, while being able to filter for not-my-religion is very useful, I wish the finder didn't close every time I select "demand conversion". I have an enormous realm of hundreds of rulers (vassals of vassals) and many of them did not convert when I changed to a new faith. I ended up using the religion map mode and clicking on individual holdings in areas that weren't my religion instead of using the finder.

Yeah it's annoying as hell that it does that, my little workaround is to right click and pin all the matching characters in the character finder, then demand they convert through the outliner once that's done.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 1, 2020

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Anyone else seeing this? The game is telling me my domain size is 6, but then is also penalizing me for having more than 1...

EDIT: probably this one: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-iron-mode-domain-only-1.1417712/

EDIT 2: nice, it unfucked itself after like 2 days.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 1, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's annoying as hell that it does that, my little workaround is to right click and pin all the matching characters in the character finder, then demand they convert through the outliner once that's done.

Yeah that's how I get around picking out house members from the dynasty tree, since I can't search for house members in the character finder, but in this case it was simply too many people to feasibly handle via pins. It probably worked out better the way I did it anyway, since I'm sure some of my direct vassals forced some of their vassals to convert on their own.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have some questions

How do you get the witch trait? I've heard it's a learning lifestyle event but 4 consecutive nerd rulers haven't seen anything like it.

Is there any way to retract vassals without incurring tyranny? The option displays the hook icon as it does with imprisonment, for example, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually use the hook in the interaction. My vassals have some very non-de-jure power structures.

Catholicism got into a weird state in my game. I noticed there was no longer a pope, and that Rome was under the control of the Ibadi Muslims. On the religious panel I noticed the decision to recreate the head of faith, so I did. He immediately declared a crusade for Jerusalem, which I won basically single-handedly. After reloading my game the next day I noticed there was no more pope, and have since kinda given up on the faith. I'm working on making my own Christian faith, but I want to understand what the hell happened here.

Insular Christianity has really taken off in my game. Is there any downside to just letting it flourish? They consider me as a Catholic righteous, and presumably still will as a custom Christian.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the papacy will be destroyed if the pope is unlanded

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

How do you get the witch trait? I've heard it's a learning lifestyle event but 4 consecutive nerd rulers haven't seen anything like it.

Is there any way to retract vassals without incurring tyranny? The option displays the hook icon as it does with imprisonment, for example, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually use the hook in the interaction. My vassals have some very non-de-jure power structures.

I can answer this at least, as far as I know there's no way to get the witch trait except random chance via an event. But a good way to at least have a chance for it to trigger is, I believe, to search for a herbalist or mystic and make them your court physician, I think there's an event that can fire in that case. Sometimes these characters show up at your court, especially if you have the legacy that makes better people visit, and you can recruit them.

I don't believe there's a way to retract vassals without tyranny, but it's only 5 tyranny so unless you do it a lot all at once it shouldn't matter too much.

strong bird posted:

Which is funny, because my pagan spiritual Head of Faiths seem to exist in an unlanded void where I cannot directly interact with them. I'd like to give them land but I haven't figured out how to.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

strong bird posted:

The pope in my game is unlanded and there are barely any Catholics left but he still calls a crusade against me every 5 years or so. The crusade lasts for 15 years because he has no armies or anything for me to fight to increase the war score. Go away pope!!!!!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
All the herbalists I've recruited were also witches. Trying to convert a large dynasty to witchcraft is a pain in the rear end, though. It took a combination of kinslaying and specifically targeting the 16 year old fertile children in the dynasty to spread it faster. If you try to convert someone who already is a witch it aborts early and reveals the witch to you.

It's pretty funny to be on the receiving end of members of the dynasty trying to convert me, though.

Also, having a few kingdom titles as a tribal leader sucks rear end. My vassals are creating the most horrible border gore imaginable and their constant sieging of each other is causing constant peasant revolts everywhere. My borders now cover twice the area I started with and I haven't been in any offensive wars for a while myself. This is worse than herding cats.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some things in this game are just :psyduck:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would love to read her biography

feller
Jul 5, 2006

binge crotching posted:

Some things in this game are just :psyduck:

I wish I could gamerule this crap out tbh

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If the pope is unlanded and you own Rome, there's a decision to restore the papacy, and he'll show up as your vassal, which is nice

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Azhais posted:

If the pope is unlanded and you own Rome, there's a decision to restore the papacy, and he'll show up as your vassal, which is nice

It's just too bad the option to destroy the Papacy is restricted to a few religions.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 1, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Antigravitas posted:

It's pretty funny to be on the receiving end of members of the dynasty trying to convert me, though.

Yeah this was actually great, when I played a Rurikid game I managed to induct most of the family while playing as Helgi, meaning way down the line random family members would occasionally try and convert you. The event frequency was perfect, just amusing and not tiresome.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This sounds really cool, I think this is gonna be playthrough 2 for me.

I am almost done with Kanem-Bornu game, I thought I would stop once I built the university and I educated the next generation of the dynasty... but I am so close to Uniting Africa now lol

Watching Isorrows video with him abducting and forcing kings and their heirs to become his religion gave me a great idea on how to spread the faith on any super strong intrigue character at least. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

Watching Isorrows video with him abducting and forcing kings and their heirs to become his religion gave me a great idea on how to spread the faith on any super strong intrigue character at least. :v:
Won't work on 1.1, you can't demand conversion of foreign rulers anymore & abduction in foreign realms is harder.