Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#7: 1935 Bride of Frankenstein

this was really great. There's an infusion of humor that works really well. You got the the sassy old lady and the snarky hunchbacked murderer, but also Dr. Pretorius and his homunculuses. Tying the humor into the science like that gives it a slightly delirious feeling, it's all slightly heightened from the first movie, we really are entering a world of gods and monsters.

Dr. Pretorius is a fantastic mad scientist. I also really liked Frankenstein's little arc. He regrets what he did and knows it's wrong, but once he's pulled back in he can't help but be exhilarated by the power of creation

Having the monster learn enough to realize that it should exist and destroy itself is a much better conclusion than it getting destroyed by ignorant villagers. It's kind of like Beneath The Planet of the Apes; it completes the first movie.

Great movie, would recommend.

7 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Basebf555 posted:

The Relic

It's far from perfect of course. The monster is uneven, sometimes it looks really good(even the CGI is solid in some shots), other times the framing and lighting expose it too much. Stan Winston did the creature effects on this, so any time you have the actual physical creature in the frame it's very cool and very detailed. In fact, this is a good example of a movie that probably would've benefited from Stan Winston himself directing. I think he would've refined the creature a bit more and cut out some of the less effective shots.

Yeah if I remember correctly the shots with the monster running are very awkward, it moves like an old action figure and its design is disproportionate.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
First time, trying to do 31 movies alone plus some with the wife.

The 31 alone:
An American Werewolf In London (1981)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Basket Case (1982)
Behind The Mask The Rise Of Leslie Vernon (2006)
Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
Creepshow (1982)
Deep Red (1975)
Dressed to Kill (1980)
God Told Me To (1976)
Horror Of Dracula (1958)
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
Kuroneko (1968)
Near Dark (1987)
Night Of The Creeps (1986)
Onibaba (1964)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
Possession (1981)
Psycho (1960)
Re-Animator (1985)
Sisters (1972)
Slither (2006)
Suspiria (1977)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
The Blob (1988)
The Howling (1981)
The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
The Wicker Man (1973)
The Brood (1979)
The.Mummy (1959)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Haven't seen like 25 of the above (except some fragments), and saw the other six like 35 years ago.

With the wife:
Child's Play (2019)
Apostle (2018)
The Shining (1980)

Only saw The Shining, but that was over 30 years ago.

Will report back with a small review after each movie. Starting tonight with The Blob (1988)!

landobee fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 2, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
5. Scare Package (2019)
A decent anthology that is more of an excellent sfx showcase instead of a good movie.

A lot of bad jokes, some of them even land. The shorts are pretty good and don't over stay their welcome. The wraparound being a cabin in the woods knockoff was pretty underwhelming, the highlight being the return of an earlier character to cap it off.

Shoulda been shorter.

2.5/5

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 1, 2020

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

1. Edge Of The Axe (1988)

Edge Of The Axe is a traditional slasher movie, but I felt it broke the mold in a few small ways that made it a satisfying experience. It included the time-honored tradition of 80s movies not actually understanding what computers do but kinda sorta getting the gist close enough. It also broke the mold where the video game obsessed computer nerd was neither a young wizard nor an old loser.. Tonally at times it felt like it reached back past the Fridays and Halloweens and brought a gialli energy, down to black leather gloves and a fantastic whodunit with an awesome funeral scene where we visit each suspect up close and slightly fisheye.
4 / 5

2. Spiral (2019)

Spiral was very interesting but was NOT a remake of Umuzaki. That’s ok, I can deal. A very different take on the community cult story with particularly gruesome notes but it shows a narrative of otherization and how the other is made into a monster as a distraction from the real monsters. A small family move into a community and the two male partners have to deal with homophobia and mysterious happenings.
3 / 5

1. Edge Of The Axe (1988), 2. Spiral (2019)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

8. The Brood - Dir: David Cronenberg - 1979 - HBOMax

David and I have a long relationship together and this movie wasn't my favorite of his for a long time, but I think its grown on me as I've gotten older and could understand a bit more of what he was getting at with shared family illness, dealing with a parent who isnt in your life as much or has/is abusive and the lengths the other would go for you as their child. It's an interesting movie and Cronenberg was probably either dealing with a lot during this time in his life or this was a valuable way to help cope and better understand moments in his life that had passed. I could see this being easily paired with something like Hereditary as a double feature. Too many parallels and shared viewpoints. Good flick, lots to chew on and he's certainly got it in for academics in a lot of his movies. I dont know if he loves them or hates them considering a lot of them end up piles of blood and goop. It was also tripping me out that the lead actor (Art Hindle) looks a lot like Pete Dinklage.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 1, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gey muckle mowser posted:

Four students embark on a hike through the Scottish Highlands in an effort to win the "Duke of Edinburgh Award" (which seems to entail a laminated certificate and not much else).

Americans are getting confused by this, so I'll fill you in. The Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme is a program in the UK which aims to help young people (age 14-24) become more rounded. It comes in three levels - Bronze, Silver and Gold - and at each level there are four sections to complete. These are community service, a hobby, a sport or physical fitness activity, and a camping expedition over a number of days. It doesn't qualify you for anything, but it looks good on your resume because it shows you have stick-to-it and that you practice self-improvement.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Night Stalker (1972)

Something is, uh, stalking the streets of Las Vegas at night, targeting women, and leaving them for dead, drained of their blood. Despite all the evidence, only reporter Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin) recognizes the truth about the killer. He's a vampire!

A screenplay by Richard Matheson ("I Am Legend"), produced by Dan Curtis ("Dark Shadows"), and directed by John Llewellyn Moxey ("The City of the Dead"), "The Night Stalker" is a tight little TV movie, with no wasted scenes. McGavin knocks it out of the park as Kolchak, giving a lovable edge to a character who, in another actor's hands, would have come off as unbearable.

The use of the vampire here is interesting too, portrayed by Barry Atwater. There's nothing seduction or suave about this suit wearing, green station wagon driving creature of the night. He exists merely to feed. There's no ulterior motive, no plays for something bigger. Janos Skorzeny must survive, and will do anything, including robbing hospitals and blood banks, to kidnapping and murder, to do so. It's an interesting, and somewhat refreshing take, and in some ways could be seen as a precursor to later, silent slasher villains Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees.

Four out of Five Hats

Watched the Kino Lorber SE DVD

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

42) The Fiend - 1972 - Archive.org

First time I sat through this one years ago, I wasn't particularly impressed. Watching it again, still not particularly impressed.

Story's a widow who's a member of a full on fire and brimstone religious group has turned over her home to them for use as a church and recruiting spot. They're the standard see sin everywhere, avoid modern medicine..etc...type. The widow's son's dominated into following along, but it turns out he acts out and is the Nude Killer that's been in the news for strangling women and leaving them to be found naked. It all builds to an ending that was pretty much expected.

From my understanding, everyone involved with this film would rather it be forgotten. I'm not sure why as it's not a bad film. The singing's pretty decent and the story's just average.

I doubt I'll sit through it again, just because I've got other stuff to sit through.

43) The Devil's Daughter - 1973 - Dailymotion

I know I've said it before, but I really miss the old TV Movie of the Week. While some were forgettable, we did get some gems like Duel, Night Stalker, Night Strangler and Trilogy of Terror.

This one's pretty good. Diane finds out after her mother passes that she was part of a Satanic cult who is still very interested in her. She rejects them and strange stuff starts to happen. Ending was a bit of a surprise which was nice considering how often I can usually guess these things.

This is perfectly fine as a lazy afternoon watch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
6. #alive (2020)
What started out as a promising fresh take on zombies, with the inclusion of our online gaming and social media generation, eventually breaks down into a rather standard zombie flick.

Its still a pretty enjoyable feature and the Korean take on zombies continues to be brutal and grotesque in the best ways. 

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Made it to October and now I'm finally getting started!

#1: #Alive (2020)

Kicking things off on a lukewarm note. Was seeing mentions of this over the past week or so but I avoided really reading reviews since I figured I'd check it out myself at some point.

I thought #Alive was fine. I had a decent time watching, but in a very crowded genre it didn't really stand out too much to me. I don't wanna fall into the trap of complaining about a movie not being what I thought it should've been, but I really feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities here. The movie's title is a hashtag and it spends a lot of time explicitly showing you all the technology the main character has access to. He's a streamer, he hardly leaves the house, he explicitly tells us his username, there are scenes of him posting and watching vlogs... it feels like a huge setup for a zombie flick to play out in the time of modern social media interconnectedness and social isolation. It only kind of is. Without getting into spoilers, these themes feel very under-explored and the actual uses of all this tech felt very tacked on to me. I don't really think this movie would've been that different on a core level if all that stuff was removed. I was a little confused by the weird mixture of higher tech and lower tech solutions to problems. There didn't seem to be any explicit through-line with regards to new vs old technology. Sometimes the new tech didn't work, and other times it did. Likewise sometimes the old tech didn't work, and other times it did.

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not really sure there was actually any point being made here. That's fine I guess, but then why theme your movie so explicitly? This concept could've been taken in so many different, more interesting and original directions! Talk about social isolation! Make some point about technology not being a replacement for real human interaction! Make a point about it being a great replacement for human interaction! I don't care, just say something! You've given yourself all the tools! Instead we just kinda get a normal zombie movie plus a few scenes involving selfie sticks, drones, and smartphones.

Ignoring the theming, I also didn't feel like the universe was fully fleshed out in terms of danger and rules. The movie does that thing where the danger of any given situation is proportionate to how dangerous the movie needs it to be without too much regard to previous scenes or actual context. I'm nitpicking, but that stuff bothers me a lot when there's nothing else to hold my focus and distract me from it, and here there wasn't much else I was super interested in.

I think I'm making it sound worse than it really is. It's fine, I was just hoping for something more. Perfectly serviceable zombie movie!

1. #Alive (2020)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
12. The Raven 1963

Another of Roger Corman's Poe Cycle, written by Richard Matheson. Starring Boris Karloff , Vincent Price , and a very young Jack Nicholson. This is more of a horror comedy and it is fairly light hearted affair. It ha a different feel to it than the other Corman Poe series with it just losely to not really at all based on The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. It's a fun movie though with lot of great little tid bits . It doesn't have too many horror elements to it though. There is a great wizard battle between Price and Karloff though that's worth it. Overall just a really great enjoyable picture.

12/31

Next up The Night Stalker!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 1, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Americans are getting confused by this, so I'll fill you in. The Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme is a program in the UK which aims to help young people (age 14-24) become more rounded. It comes in three levels - Bronze, Silver and Gold - and at each level there are four sections to complete. These are community service, a hobby, a sport or physical fitness activity, and a camping expedition over a number of days. It doesn't qualify you for anything, but it looks good on your resume because it shows you have stick-to-it and that you practice self-improvement.

Interesting, I didn't realize it wasn't something they made up for the movie, haha. I'm learning all kinds of stuff this year!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It still makes me laugh that the British government keeps calling their programs "schemes".

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I haven't done this challenge in a while, I will do my best to hit as many movies as possible but I have a newborn so I am keeping expectations low. Lots of new watches but plenty of re-watches that I just can't resist during spooky season.

1. Hell House LLC.

I love found footage so this has been on my list for awhile. On the negative side it features a lot of tired tropes of the genre creepy clown, camera drops and character gets pulled off screen, faux-documentary ala Lake Mungo/Blair Witch with some terrible line-readings, creepy sleepwalking ala Paranormal Activity, dipshit horny characters with gratuitous butt shot but the premise was rock solid. I love the idea of a haunted spook-house and this movie did the best it could with it's very low budget. It stands in contrast to The Houses October Built which I loving hated. This had some charm and some fun, if not very original, scares. The sequels are apparently a mixed bag but I might check them out.

As a side note I am from the NYC suburbs that the fiction Abaddon Hotel is located in the movie. Unlike other pieces of media that have set themselves in my county, they accurately stated that we are 40 minutes from NYC instead of hours upstate. We are also a big fall-centric tourist spot. However they did film in loving rural Pennsylvania lol so points off for the shots of sprawling farmland.

3/5 :spooky:

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 1, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
By the way if I hit 100 movies watched between Sept+Oct (I'm up to 62 total, 11 for the challenge) I'm gonna get a tarman tattoo

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

By the way if I hit 100 movies watched between Sept+Oct (I'm up to 62 total, 11 for the challenge) I'm gonna get a tarman tattoo

Is it gonna say “More Braaainnnnsss”? Cuz it should

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

9. The Babysitter - Dir: Mc G - 2017 - Netflix

That was fun. Samara Weaving is still a good actress and its going to be interesting to see her develop outside the world of horror. A lot of fun stuff happens in a tight run time and I never felt like it wasted time or characters. Moved fast, was a good time and had plenty going on. Now on to the sequel!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

As a side note I am from the NYC suburbs that the fiction Abaddon Hotel is located in the movie. Unlike other pieces of media that have set themselves in my county, they accurately stated that we are 40 minutes from NYC instead of hours upstate. We are also a big fall-centric tourist spot. However they did film in loving rural Pennsylvania lol so points off for the shots of sprawling farmland.
Hell House LLC nailed the exact right idea of living 30-40 minutes out of NYC where they were both cautiously optimistic that they could draw a big crowd from the city if they got buzz but also completely put out that they had to drive 40 whole minutes into "the boonies" where there's no subways and you have to drive everywhere and it all closes at night like craziness.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

You gotta have it say "More Brains"

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Hell House LLC nailed the exact right idea of living 30-40 minutes out of NYC where they were both cautiously optimistic that they could draw a big crowd from the city if they got buzz but also completely put out that they had to drive 40 whole minutes into "the boonies" where there's no subways and you have to drive everywhere and it all closes at night like craziness.

The exact wording was “Podunk” which made me laugh but yeah when you film outside of Scranton, PA it will look like that instead of my insanely densely populated suburb. Otherwise they did nail the tourist appeal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Body Bags (1993)
"I hate natural causes! Give me a big stab wound to poke at."
This is an uneven anthology that is generally pretty fun. John Carpenter is having a good time in the wrap-around as the coroner. He's clearly trying to be the next Cryptkeeper (I read that this was pitched as a Showtime series) but he doesn't have any of the menace and his jokes aren't as good (though the umpire joke he makes after the third short was a hoot). The first segment, "The Gas Station" from Carpenter, is great. It's basically a parade of bits from fun cameos (in fact all of the stories and wrap-around are stuffed with them) but has a well written, well paced story that feels like one of the better Tales from the Crypt episodes - it's definitely the strongest of the shorts. The second, "Hair" (also Carpenter) was my least favorite. Stacy Keach doesn't want to be balding and so after a bunch of dumb nonsense that drives away his girlfriend (Sheena Easton), he gets a hair transplant from David Warner and Debbie Harry. Unfortunately, the hair is made of bad CGI. The last short is "Eye" from Tobe Hooper, with Mark Hamill as a baseball player who loses an eye but gets a new one from a dead serial killer. If you mixed the two latter shorts you basically have the Treehouse of Horror story where Snake's hair makes Homer evil. Worth a watch.

:spooky: 3.5/5

SA October Horror Challenge Count: 8/40

Wishmaster 2 (1999)
"Done."
I watched the first Wishmaster earlier this summer and thought it was dumb but fun. This sequel turns up the dumb and adds extra complications to the mythology (lol) for no good reason. The evil djinn (still Andrew Divoff refusing to blink) sends himself to prison so that he can steal souls, because he needs them for, uhh, evil. Look, I don't know. What do you want from me? This is a movie that won't even follow the simple rule of "if you wish for it, the djinn can monkey paw your rear end" - the djinn just does whatever he wants. He tells a woman she "crapped out" at a casino and she farts like 20 times while casino chips pour out of her dress and frogs rain from the ceiling. A cop tells him to freeze, so he turns the cop into ice. There are some fun effects, sure, but this movie is capital s Stupid.

:spooky: 1.5/5

SA October Horror Challenge Count: 9/40

So far no rewatches!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

The exact wording was “Podunk” which made me laugh but yeah when you film outside of Scranton, PA it will look like that instead of my insanely densely populated suburb. Otherwise they did nail the tourist appeal.

Yeah, I'm a Rockland transplant from NYC and like its just this hilarious thing where like that 30 car drive and the cultural shift from city to suburb creates this psychological block that makes the city dweller in me squirm. 30 minutes into the city and 30 minutes out of the city are just completely different mindsets. And I'm not sure that translates unless you have lived that "suburb just outside a major city" thing but I think they nailed it perfectly despite way too big fields in the background.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

6/31 Under the Shadow (2016) 3.5/5
Apparently not an Iranian film (kinda obvious in retrospect) but filmed in Persian and set in the Iran-Iraq war. A mother with her daughter are left alone in their apartment building as the husband/father is conscripted and the neighbors flee Tehran. After an unexploded bomb falls on the roof of the building, a Djinn starts to haunt the family. Or maybe it's just psychological effect of the war.

Not a bad watch with some spooky scenes. What's more disturbing than the Djinn, though, is the depiction of war and the repression. There is a scene where the mother runs out into the street carrying her daughter after having a disturbing experience in their apartment, only to be arrested by the revolutionary guard because her hair is not covered.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you better

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm a Rockland transplant from NYC and like its just this hilarious thing where like that 30 car drive and the cultural shift from city to suburb creates this psychological block that makes the city dweller in me squirm. 30 minutes into the city and 30 minutes out of the city are just completely different mindsets. And I'm not sure that translates unless you have lived that "suburb just outside a major city" thing but I think they nailed it perfectly despite way too big fields in the background.

I am the opposite as a Rockland native that feels an clear and distinct unease every time I enter NYC despite how many times I have been and how close it is. It just makes me laugh that while parts of our county have a lovely small-town feel, we are incredibly dense and diverse but are never really portrayed that way. Just glad they got some of it right...

Nothing is worse than a Sex and the City episode that portrayed Rockland like it was loving Appalachia lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ha, yeah I vaguely recall seeing that episode where like she's gotta live the torturously life of a farm hand out in the country in like... Suffern? Really?

edit: And yeah, I actually have both sides now. I have the city dweller in me that's like "Man! Everything closes too early! And you have to drive everywhere! Are there animals?! Like raccoons and stuff? And all those bugs." And that suburb part of me that's like "Oh come out here, assholes. Its got all the same stuff we want to do and its cheaper. And we've both seen bigger rats in the city more frequently. We're not even gonna talk about water bugs."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 1, 2020

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
1. The Blob (1988) 5/10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob_(1988_film)

This movie was ok; but made me want to put the original on the list for next year (or maybe sneak it in this year hehehe).
The start was bad, including the failed date-rape. Kevin Dillon and Shawnee Smith tried their best (mostly the latter), and surprise visits from Pete from Twin Peaks (Jack Vance), Emil "waste body hit by car" from RoboCop (Paul McCrane) and my favorite blues harmonics player / teacher from Crossroads (Joe Seneca).
Some fun shots, but the blue screen effects hurt. Music was not really present for me.

Tomorrow: The Mummy (1959)

landobee fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 2, 2020

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

6. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Dir: Joe Berlinger

One of the strangest sequels in recent memory. I'm not sure how any sequel to the Blair Witch Project would have satisfied people, so I guess I'm glad that this doesn't even try to recreate the formula of the first one. It goes for an exploration of the cultural phenomenon the first film inspired, and also maintains a much more cartoonish tone. For better or for worse, I don't think there'll ever be a sequel to a film that takes this much creative liberty with the source material again. This is an extremely dumb movie and the editing kinda ruins the film (at least in the cut I watched), but can't really bring myself to hate it. Something about this era of nu-metal cinema really speaks to me. It just completely swings for the fences and even if only a quarter of the choices it makes work, it was still enjoyable for me.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 1, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
13. The Night Stalker (1972

Decided on this one as another poster had reminded me that I had never seen. Darren MacGavin is excellent Kolchak and its a tightly produced made for TV movie written by Richard Matheson ( seriously this guy is underrated as one of better horror writers out there and he's incredibly prolific). What I really liked about this was the noir horror aspect of this movie. It definitely fits that niche of noir horror which there aren't to many of. I also really like the potrayal of the vampire in this who's a absolute beast, seriously its a great potrayal of a vampire. Its not like others have said flowery or gothic, no this guy just kills for blood and does anything else he can to get it. There's some pretty great for TV action sequences in this as well. Overall I really liked it never having seen it before.

13/31

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Fran Challenge #1: Horror Noire

A film must be a First Time Watch to qualify for Fran Challenge #1
Scream Stream films can count towards a Fran Challenge

:spooky: Watch a horror movie directed by a black director

or

:spooky: Watch a horror movie with a predominantly black cast

or

:spooky: Watch the documentary Horror Noire if you've never seen it before

or

:spooky: Watch a film mentioned in the documentary Horror Noire as a strong representation of black culture (not one of the movies they use as an example of bad representation.

:siren: Make sure you clearly mark in your write-up which Fran challenge your film is counting towards. :siren:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 1, 2020

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

blood_dot_biz posted:

drat, now I too really want to see a movie about a gross man/house romance.

Can I interest you gentlemen in Deep Dark (2015)?

Anyway I'm in for at least 31 new watches. First up:

1. Waxwork - One of those movies I walked past in Blockbuster a million times as a child, but skipped over because I assumed it was just going to be serial killer uses bodies for the exhibits or the exhibits are zombies or something and I wanted weirder than that. So, you know, sorry past-me. You made a bad call because this movie is not at all what I expected; instead it's the absolute best kind of surprise and a perfect example of why I love horror movies so much. The extremely lame protagonist is about the only weak point here; rework the script a little to put Tony (aka Bobby Briggs) in the lead and this would have been an all time great.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I know the OP says no tv shows, but what about min series like haunting on hill house? I plan on watching mostly movies, but rewatching both that series and the haunting of when it drops on the 9th. Thoughts?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

I know the OP says no tv shows, but what about min series like haunting on hill house? I plan on watching mostly movies, but rewatching both that series and the haunting of when it drops on the 9th. Thoughts?

No, no mini-series, except for, like, a 2 part made for TV movie, like IT or 'Salem's Lot.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Looks like an excellent time to finally watch Sugar Hill.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

8: 1935 Werewolf of London

Boring.

It's not terrible. There's a fantastic frog eating plan puppet in one scene for no reason. There's the first non super racist depiction of a PoC character I've seen so far, although he's portrayed by a white actor so that's a wash. And lots of sassy old lady comedy, even more than Bride of Frankenstein. Nobody told me 1935 was the start of the old lady comedy era of golden age horror.

But overall, boring.

8 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

There's my excuse to finally watch Blacula

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
4)The Strings-Salem Horror Fest 2020

The artist goes off into solitude to work on things, is a pretty well tread subgenre. In this case Catherine (played by real indie musician Tegan Johnston. Not of tegan and sarah fame)is moving into her aunt's house on prince edward's island to record a new album. Her relationship and band have broken up. She's drinking too much and spends her time writing music by day and obsessively watching youtube videos on (minor spoiler) quantum physics She does a photography shoot at a haunted farmhouse. Things get weird. It's all very haunting and atmospheric.

I really like the film, but Iwish it was a little more focused. I don't know who has picked it up but it really feels like the director wanted to make an A24 horror film. And it's close. But it's not. I kind of feel if you didn't like I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, you won't like this, even if I feel this is the better film. It has more going on, even if it lacks an, ahem, string to tie it all together. I'm coming off a little harsh, but weird little atmospheric movies are up my alley.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

4/31 Haunt,Bridge Curse,#Alive, The Strings

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

10. The Babysitter: Killer Queen - Dir: McG - 2020 - Netflix

Not as good or as surprising as the first, really sags in the middle, but then it has a nice ending and resolves pretty well. Maybe it just went TOO cartoony than I was expecting, but it wasn't bad. I hope they dont do another and make it a triolgy, but that ending leaves it a bit open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

I'm still searching around but this might be the challenge I can't do because any of the films that meet the criteria, I've already seen.