Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Giorno is basically Jonathan as a modern JoJo, and I appreciate that about him. The only Dio in him is that he murders a couple dudes who had it coming, likes the word "useless" and that people are mesmerized by his effortess sexiness,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And then at the end he obtains ultimate power and becomes king of the (under)world, just like Jonathan!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
His last name is literally the Italian version of Jonathan

Giorno is the ideals, the caring, the beliefs, and self-sacrificing nature of Jonathan mixed with the charismatic and ambitious personality traits of Dio, with the gift of creating life that both Jonathan and Dio were capable of.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FirstAidKite posted:

Giorno is the ideals, the caring, the beliefs, and self-sacrificing nature of Jonathan mixed with the charismatic and ambitious personality traits of Dio, with the gift of creating life that both Jonathan and Dio were capable of.

Too bad absolutely none of this shows in the series itself. Nice concept, non-existing execution.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Too bad absolutely none of this shows in the series itself. Nice concept, non-existing execution.

It's literally all he does every time he's around.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FirstAidKite posted:

Actually, I think you'll find all he does every time he's around is be boring and pull horseshit

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FirstAidKite posted:

I can believe he has ideals considering every other line from his mouth is pointing out how he, Giorno Giovanna, will grow a tree has a dream, but the rest? Sure as hell doesn't show. Especially the charisma.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does anybody in this thread really want another slapfight of "I'm right, you're wrong" or can we just king crimson this to the "agree to disagree" phase because I really don't feel like you're interested in being convinced otherwise and I am just not in the mood to try to put together any big argument if the only response I'm going to get is just a complete denial of and dismissal of anything being put forward.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Giorno also almost dies from a hole in his neck which may just be an accidental coincidence.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I give Giorno a lot of poo poo but I do like him. I just think Bruno was the real protagonist of part 5

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Doppio is cool but Diavolo sucks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I know it's pretty unofficial (?) but Purple Haze Feedback makes Giorno's role make sense

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doppio is hilarious and Diavolo is boring.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RubberLuffy posted:

Doppio is cool but Diavolo sucks

Kwyndig posted:

Doppio is hilarious and Diavolo is boring.

:hmmyes:

Diavolo at least has a great and intimidating introduction (the first one) and a solid dub voice.

Beyond that, though, he's pretty wack.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 2, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I know it's pretty unofficial (?) but Purple Haze Feedback makes Giorno's role make sense

I'm genuinely surprised we didn't get a Purple Haze Feedback OVA. Felt like an obvious thing but I guess we can only get more Rohan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Purple Haze Feedback is fun, if a bit overeager to throw in a lot of references to previous parts, but it is non-canon even if it would fit into the story fairly easily.

Also, they'd have to completely animate the whole book from scratch, with no manga panels for reference.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And if you thought Prince was tough to work with, you haven't even seen the Hendrix estate.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, they'd have to completely animate the whole book from scratch, with no manga panels for reference.

this is the reason it will literally never happen, for the record

like i mean yeah it'd be cool to be proven wrong but the fact that it's non-canon and literally a Light Novel And Not Manga means that the cost compared to the return on it is entirely exorbitant for very little to make up for it, and given that it's not part of the actual series that people already know it'd be even less likely to gain much traction

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

:hmmyes:

Diavolo at least has a great and intimidating introduction (the first one) and a solid dub voice.

Beyond that, though, he's pretty wack.

You're p clearly not supposed to like diavolo or be drawn to him like a lot of the other villains.

It'd be a ton of work, but after 8 years of an extremely faithful, panel-for-panel adaptation, I'd honestly love to see Araki and an animation crew approach creating something entirely from scratch, just as a creative exercise. Wouldn't even have to be PHF, just something neat and creative to come out and flex on us with.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pootybutt posted:

You're p clearly not supposed to like diavolo or be drawn to him like a lot of the other villains.

It'd be a ton of work, but after 8 years of an extremely faithful, panel-for-panel adaptation, I'd honestly love to see Araki and an animation crew approach creating something entirely from scratch, just as a creative exercise. Wouldn't even have to be PHF, just something neat and creative to come out and flex on us with.

Kakyoin, did you lay this egg?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://jojo-portal.com/en/news/2020/0924/1/

quote:

As a summary of the "JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure" animation series, we proudly announce tohold an exclusive event “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: The Animation Special Event~JOESTAR the Inherited Soul~” scheduled April 4, 2021. The cast of main charactersfrom each Part of the series will come together for the first time in history of “the project.

yay...

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
fart noises

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I give Giorno a lot of poo poo but I do like him. I just think Bruno was the real protagonist of part 5

I see the Bruno/Giorno relationship as Araki having a mostly unformed idea that he fully realizes with Gyro and Johnny a few years later.

Re: Diavolo chat: I heard mentioned somewhere that many of the Shonen Jump authors improvised a decent amount of their stories and I feel like King Crimson was a really cool concept that Araki painted himself into a corner with, resulting in him kind of flailing with it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Giorno is a weird shut-in that sat at home memorizing animal facts to escape from his family

He also drinks piss

Edit: my b

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 2, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

And if you thought Prince was tough to work with, you haven't even seen the Hendrix estate.
I'm honestly surprised Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' lawyers haven't visited unholy legal purgatory unto Araki to this day.

Don't loving do this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xand_Man posted:

He also drinks piss

no it was jellyfish

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Here's a big old Giorno effortpost because I felt like it. It might be a little rambling.

Outside his introduction and a few isolated moments Giorno is almost a bit player in his own part. He deliberately stays out of center stage once he joins the squad, and lets Bruno lead. However, since part 5 is still presented as if this is Giorno's story and not Bruno's, this leads to some questions. What's so important about this character in particular, that he has his name in the title, a prominent position in the opening and closing credits, etc? We're being told pay close attention to this character, when he spends most of his time trying to avoid drawing attention to himself. As such, the question "what are this dude's defining characteristics" takes some interpretation.

So, what can we tell can about Giorno from how we see him behave and what we see him do?

We're show a foundational moment for him was when he helped a gangster who later returned the favor. It instilled a sense of always paying off your debts, and he come to idealize the mafia's sense of family and structure, both of which he lacked.

We see that he's willing to both commit petty crimes (no dignity) and ruthless violence. He critically injures Luca and kills Polpo early on, yet he doesn't quite accept responsibility for his actions. Giorno deliberately engineers situations so that his targets suffer from something self-inflicted, which seems like a kind of rationalization on his part. Ie: it's not that Giorno is a violent person, Luca just had it coming for striking that bug. (Check out how often Giorno commits violence through proxy throughout the series.)

That's interesting characterization, and it leads to the possibility that Giorno's views on morality are somewhat narcissistic. Luca thuggery, Polpo's excess and carelessness and Passione's drug operations run contrary to Giorno's self-image as a Gangstar, and that influences his reprisal. (Cioccolata undirected massacre is the ultimate example, and one of the few people Giorno personally and wrathfully kills.)

Giorno gets in good with Bruno, convincing him that he has his back if/when he decides to stage a coup, and in turn Bruno gets him in his squad. This throws the rest of the squad for a loop, isn't Bruno showing a lot of trust in this newbie? Are they in cahoots or something? (Yes.) This is when Giorno starts to fade into the background, keeping out of the way unless he can contribute something. He tries to be one of the team but he doesn't really bother to make friends with anyone. Walking into a trap or deliberately infecting yourself with a killer virus? Sure. Small talk? Nah.

The two obvious ways to read that are that either 1) becoming a member of Passione was so important for him that he barely knows who he is now he got in, or 2) he's playing things close to the chest because he's planning a coup. Maybe a little of both.

And then the plot happens and afterwards most of Passione is dead, as is Bruno, and Giorno becomes space godfather.

So, Giorno:
appreciates the structure Passione provides and is willing to commit crimes to get in... but hates Passione's drug trade and how they hurt the community.
is able to deal out horrific violence without hesitation... but superficially keeps his hands clean unless they've really got it coming. (Again, most of Giorno's kills are through a proxy.)
is able to bare his heart and inspire loyalty... but doesn't really normally bother.
is recklessly loyal to his superiors... except when arranging their deaths.
is willing to work as the perfect teammate... and is just as ready to step in and take command.

I think there's a read where Giorno is psychologically reliant on the idea of Passione as a thing which offers structure and a sense of family, but is repulsed by the reality of it as a criminal organization — and not because he's bothered by criminal activity but because it's uncouth. He's driven by his need to impose his ideals onto reality, and all his actions, his friendship with Bruno, his membership on the squad, his interactions with Trish, etc, are all ultimately in service to that need.

He'll be caring, self-sacrificing, charismatic, or ambitious if it gets him there, but once Trish enters the picture he doesn't have to be. He can just stand back and let Bruno and the Boss destroy themselves, step in and take over.

His stand lets him turn objects into minions, and living things into tools. He does his work through proxy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Here's a big old Giorno effortpost because I felt like it. It might be a little rambling.

Outside his introduction and a few isolated moments Giorno is almost a bit player in his own part. He deliberately stays out of center stage once he joins the squad, and lets Bruno lead. However, since part 5 is still presented as if this is Giorno's story and not Bruno's, this leads to some questions. What's so important about this character in particular, that he has his name in the title, a prominent position in the opening and closing credits, etc? We're being told pay close attention to this character, when he spends most of his time trying to avoid drawing attention to himself. As such, the question "what are this dude's defining characteristics" takes some interpretation.

So, what can we tell can about Giorno from how we see him behave and what we see him do?

We're show a foundational moment for him was when he helped a gangster who later returned the favor. It instilled a sense of always paying off your debts, and he come to idealize the mafia's sense of family and structure, both of which he lacked.

We see that he's willing to both commit petty crimes (no dignity) and ruthless violence. He critically injures Luca and kills Polpo early on, yet he doesn't quite accept responsibility for his actions. Giorno deliberately engineers situations so that his targets suffer from something self-inflicted, which seems like a kind of rationalization on his part. Ie: it's not that Giorno is a violent person, Luca just had it coming for striking that bug. (Check out how often Giorno commits violence through proxy throughout the series.)

That's interesting characterization, and it leads to the possibility that Giorno's views on morality are somewhat narcissistic. Luca thuggery, Polpo's excess and carelessness and Passione's drug operations run contrary to Giorno's self-image as a Gangstar, and that influences his reprisal. (Cioccolata undirected massacre is the ultimate example, and one of the few people Giorno personally and wrathfully kills.)

Giorno gets in good with Bruno, convincing him that he has his back if/when he decides to stage a coup, and in turn Bruno gets him in his squad. This throws the rest of the squad for a loop, isn't Bruno showing a lot of trust in this newbie? Are they in cahoots or something? (Yes.) This is when Giorno starts to fade into the background, keeping out of the way unless he can contribute something. He tries to be one of the team but he doesn't really bother to make friends with anyone. Walking into a trap or deliberately infecting yourself with a killer virus? Sure. Small talk? Nah.

The two obvious ways to read that are that either 1) becoming a member of Passione was so important for him that he barely knows who he is now he got in, or 2) he's playing things close to the chest because he's planning a coup. Maybe a little of both.

And then the plot happens and afterwards most of Passione is dead, as is Bruno, and Giorno becomes space godfather.

So, Giorno:
appreciates the structure Passione provides and is willing to commit crimes to get in... but hates Passione's drug trade and how they hurt the community.
is able to deal out horrific violence without hesitation... but superficially keeps his hands clean unless they've really got it coming. (Again, most of Giorno's kills are through a proxy.)
is able to bare his heart and inspire loyalty... but doesn't really normally bother.
is recklessly loyal to his superiors... except when arranging their deaths.
is willing to work as the perfect teammate... and is just as ready to step in and take command.

I think there's a read where Giorno is psychologically reliant on the idea of Passione as a thing which offers structure and a sense of family, but is repulsed by the reality of it as a criminal organization — and not because he's bothered by criminal activity but because it's uncouth. He's driven by his need to impose his ideals onto reality, and all his actions, his friendship with Bruno, his membership on the squad, his interactions with Trish, etc, are all ultimately in service to that need.

He'll be caring, self-sacrificing, charismatic, or ambitious if it gets him there, but once Trish enters the picture he doesn't have to be. He can just stand back and let Bruno and the Boss destroy themselves, step in and take over.

His stand lets him turn objects into minions, and living things into tools. He does his work through proxy.

Following up that death by proxy observation, even his execution of Diavolo is done with plausible deniability by the pseudo-automatic GER.

Anyways, really good post! I've always felt there's a self-serving element to Giorno's character but this lays things out really well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't agree with everything but 2nding your post being really loving good! Thanks for sharing it w/us!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that read is a bit on the cynical side, but I can't fault any part of the actual reasoning. The only bit I disagree with is compulsively keeping his hands clean. Polpo is the only person he plans to kill in a way that doesn't lead back to him, and it's not like he could have taken credit if he wanted to, given that it'd compromise Bruno and the gang. He very overtly kills Cioccolata himself, and takes full credit for offing Melone as well. I think that's the totality of kills that happen at his hand before the final confrontation, which isn't that weird given that half the gang has a stand power of "bullets."

He really doesn't interact with anyone except when he's pushing them aside to be a big drat hero. Part 5 really could have used a couple filler episodes that's just the gang shooting the poo poo and chilling, instead of being all stakes all the time from like three hours into Giorno meeting the gang.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He's kills Ghiaccio but that was at the end of a team battle

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah. Also a pretty hands-on kill.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh yeah. Also a pretty hands-on kill.

Really more of a foot-on tbh

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think that read is a bit on the cynical side, but I can't fault any part of the actual reasoning.

Honestly, that's were I'm at myself. It's almost certainly not how Araki set out to portray him, but since he's so rarely in the spotlight you don't get much of his perspective and there's a lot of room to read into his actions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, that's were I'm at myself. It's almost certainly not how Araki set out to portray him, but since he's so rarely in the spotlight you don't get much of his perspective and there's a lot of room to read into his actions.

I think it had to be somewhat intentional, the acute personality shift he undergoes between his introduction as a cocky indepenent thief to a quiet, compliant good boy as soon as he joins Bruno's crew seems way too jarring and sudden to be anything other than intentional behavior on Giorno's part and one of the very first things he does inside Passione is decieving the crew to gain their respect (by pretending to drink the piss). From start to finish his character is given a shady ambiguity to his motives that none of the other Jojos have, I think Araki knew what he was doing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

He drank the piss, though. The piss became part of his body

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

He drank the piss, though. The piss became part of his body

no it was jellyfish

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

multijoe posted:

I think it had to be somewhat intentional, the acute personality shift he undergoes between his introduction as a cocky indepenent thief to a quiet, compliant good boy as soon as he joins Bruno's crew seems way too jarring and sudden to be anything other than intentional behavior on Giorno's part and one of the very first things he does inside Passione is decieving the crew to gain their respect (by pretending to drink the piss). From start to finish his character is given a shady ambiguity to his motives that none of the other Jojos have, I think Araki knew what he was doing.

I feel you're overestimating Araki's writing here. Not to insult him, of course, I love Jojo, but characters randomly changing personality from their first appearance to their second is not exactly an unusual thing in this manga. Even in Part 5 itself, Bucciarati may as well be a completely different person in his fight with Giorno than he is immediately after, with even how Sticky Fingers works changing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

with even how Sticky Fingers works changing.

Does it? Sticky Fingers felt pretty consistent from start to finish for me. Bruno never really hides inside of anyone again, but he does things in the same vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Does it? Sticky Fingers felt pretty consistent from start to finish for me. Bruno never really hides inside of anyone again, but he does things in the same vein.

In his first appearance, Sticky Fingers could straight-up teleport things without the need of punching and creating zippers. That ability never comes back up and would be insanely broken if it did.