Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I can't decide if The Doctor is Sin is my favorite or Return To The House of Mummies. They're both so good.

Fallen Arches has my favorite banter where the Triad are just blathering about spaghettios etc while a villain stares at them. That bit the Alchemist says just kills me every time. I probably just love him, everything he says is gold. In the last season when he couldn't stop looking at the robot because it was nutsy. I lose it every time.

The only episode I really don't like is that frankenstein one. It has good parts like the stuff with Brock but the scooby doo poo poo just makes me frown. I don't like it.

Also in State Dinner, a pretty weak episode, that uh. That house keeper lady. She's odd. Like... it feels like they were writing a very stereotypical black lady character and then realized way too late "this sucks actually and is a bit too offensive" and just made her white. Also Bud Manstrong is awful. I should go read the art book and see what it says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You don't like Groovy's monologue?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Maybe I'm just imagining it, but which episode was the one where they have the Scooby-Doo gang but they're serial killers? Like Fred is Ted Bundy and Shaggy is David Berkowitz hallucinating Scooby or something.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but which episode was the one where they have the Scooby-Doo gang but they're serial killers? Like Fred is Ted Bundy and Shaggy is David Berkowitz hallucinating Scooby or something.

That was ¡Viva_los_Muertos! which saw the introduction of Venturestein.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Everyone posted:

Fred is Bundy, Shaggy is Berkowitz/Son of Sam, Velma is Valerie Solanas (she survived at the end of the episode, sort of a missed opportunity to bring her back in the Doom Factory episode or at least name drop her), and Daphne is Patty Hearst.
Oh, and Scoob is the dog that the Son of Sam claimed was telling him to kill that IIRC was entirely something he made up to gently caress with the police.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Awful episode.

Oh no, it was written by Ben Edlund, why. I normally like his stuff.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Skratte posted:

Awful episode.

Oh no, it was written by Ben Edlund, why. I normally like his stuff.

I mean I see why it feels off, it's the only episode not written by doc or publick, but it's a great episode

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Was the Oni in I know why the caged bird kills trying to get Doc and the Monarch together? Was killinger was trying to tell them they are brothers?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Is that why Manhowers said we could read more about it in the bible?

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean I see why it feels off, it's the only episode not written by doc or publick, but it's a great episode

it's ok if other people like it but I really don't and I usually skip it. also I hate seeing people barf and its real barfy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nilbop posted:

And the death montage gets a call back in the Halloween special with JK Simmons as Ben, my favourite guest star and one of my favourite supporting characters.

God I wish he could've come back just one more time.

JK Simmons wasn't my favorite guest star (that goes to Clancy Brown), but it is kind of bullshit we haven't gotten a Ben rendition outside the Halloween special.

That being said, these are my favorite JK Simmons VA roles.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
For me it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJ1Sauv2gc&ab_channel=Howler54

Though I do have a soft spot for him as Ford in Gravity Falls.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Anyone have the gif of brock twirling the two henchmen for UnderBeit on the spear? With the caption on it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just love that, even today, Academy Award Winner J.K. Simmons still voices a goddamn M&M.

He was also INCREDIBLE in "No Activity."

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

They never gave us a clear answer on who caused the Movie Night Massacre did they?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Unless they introduce a new character we didn't know was there, it can only really be Vendata or Red Death or I forget who the other person was that survived the massacre since we see them trudging out with Red Death after being yelled at by the Sovereign.
Or it was Manstrong by accident.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It wasn't Red Death unless he went into a murder fugue state and forgot. His recollection sounded like he got sucked out as well, but he was still suited up so he survived. He was also very clearly in the cargo bay because he said he "got to see a little Sharky's Machine."

I also don't think Vendata would kill everyone - he just wanted revenge on Jonas. Manstrong is a candidate because we know he can be 'triggered.'

Comedy option: Jonas had programmed the cargo bay door opening in advance because he wanted to avoid paying his workers after losing them in a 'tragic accident' and something went wrong with the timing. It seems weird and suspect that the original Team Venture seemed to be right there and ready to shove what was left of Jonas into P.R.O.B.L.E.M. but none were watching Sharky's Machine in the cargo bay.

Or one of the original Team Venture flipped the switch accidentally on the bridge like what happened to Brock. That'd explain the look they gave each other when P.R.O.B.L.E.M. was mentioned.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Unless they introduce a new character we didn't know was there, it can only really be Vendata or Red Death or I forget who the other person was that survived the massacre since we see them trudging out with Red Death after being yelled at by the Sovereign.
Or it was Manstrong by accident.

Or one really busy barber.

I think the Venture Brothersiest answer to this mystery is that some rando you've never heard of caused the disaster completely by accident.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It wasn't Red Death unless he went into a murder fugue state and forgot. His recollection sounded like he got sucked out as well, but he was still suited up so he survived. He was also very clearly in the cargo bay because he said he "got to see a little Sharky's Machine."

I also don't think Vendata would kill everyone - he just wanted revenge on Jonas. Manstrong is a candidate because we know he can be 'triggered.'

Comedy option: Jonas had programmed the cargo bay door opening in advance because he wanted to avoid paying his workers after losing them in a 'tragic accident' and something went wrong with the timing. It seems weird and suspect that the original Team Venture seemed to be right there and ready to shove what was left of Jonas into P.R.O.B.L.E.M. but none were watching Sharky's Machine in the cargo bay.

Or one of the original Team Venture flipped the switch accidentally on the bridge like what happened to Brock. That'd explain the look they gave each other when P.R.O.B.L.E.M. was mentioned.

The OG Team Venture was late because Col. Gentleman was picking out an outfit. They literally bump into the frozen corpse of Stab Girl on the way there. They arrived after.
He could have watched some Sharkey's Machine then snuck off to pull the switch. But yeah, I don't think it was Red Death, just saying that it's at least possible.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The OG Team Venture was late because Col. Gentleman was picking out an outfit.

I forgot about that detail.

Oh well, it could've been just a faulty relay. One thing Jonas Sr. and Rusty have in common is corner cutting.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The OG Team Venture was late because Col. Gentleman was picking out an outfit.

That whole scene was shown in flashback form though narrated by people that could have easily been lying. Wouldn't be the first time either.

"And yet when you found him, he was like this? Just a head?"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That look was because of the flashback right before where they dropped frozen Jonas and broke him into tiny pieces so instead of a body he was just a head.

That could have been the plan though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It was obviously Phantom Spaceman

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

It was Hate-Bit

Edit: Seriously though, the post below is probably it.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 4, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Manstrong found the Autofocus tape and went into a crazy horny fugue watching it and killed everyone just like he did when he crashed the station

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Unmature posted:

Manstrong found the Autofocus tape and went into a crazy horny fugue watching it and killed everyone just like he did when he crashed the station

Nah, he saw the tape, passed out and fell on the door open lever.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

Nah, he saw the tape, passed out and fell on the door open lever.

That’s what I meant

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Or he masturbated while watching it and bumped into switch while having an orgasm. Hence why later as an adult he has such weird sexual hang-ups. His first sexual experience led to the death of a hero and dozens of other people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man the general concept and some moments of Love Bheits really does bite, which is a shame as I just finished watching it and it has some really good micro jokes and minor character moments that are the show finding itself.

But there are some rather yikes moments in it too.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the "gay gene" joke is maybe the worst-aged joke in the series, even if it was never supposed to be serious

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

hughesta posted:

the "gay gene" joke is maybe the worst-aged joke in the series, even if it was never supposed to be serious

Oh yeah, that was the second UGH moment for me, neck in neck with the Hatred and Dean moments.

Not aged well at all. It's darkly funny it ends with a comical 'COME BACK TO UNTERLAND AGAIN' bit too.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Have there been any updates for saving the show after the suggestion that HBO Max may be an avenue?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

TerminalRaptor posted:

Have there been any updates for saving the show after the suggestion that HBO Max may be an avenue?
nothing :(

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I feel like it's just a matter of time before a streaming service like HBO Max or Netflix splashes some cash towards the way of the studio(s?) responsible for creating the show. We've seen series that have been dead and buried for multiple decades rise back from the grave to pump out a new season or three, or just get flat revivals with new series.

It may be a long wait for the fans but if something like Arrested Development can get a new season with all the scheduling fuckery surrounding it than anything is on the table, SS always need new content to bring in subscribers.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Since its fav episodes chat, Twenty Years to Midnight is still a pinnacle episode for me.

From the IGNORE ME space robot, to the reveal at the end of "IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF I SHOWED UP LOOKING LIKE THAT!? Look at yourselves, you almost crapped your pants, EXCEPT FOR THAT GUY HE DID CRAP HIS PANTS"

SOMEONE HAS LEFT A BABY, plus the humiliation of professor impossible just :discourse:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

boom boom

I say the SOMEONE LEFT A BABY when I’m done playing with my friends kids. I was going to make an impossible industries onesie for my daughter but that didn’t pan out.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I feel like it's just a matter of time before a streaming service like HBO Max or Netflix splashes some cash towards the way of the studio(s?) responsible for creating the show. We've seen series that have been dead and buried for multiple decades rise back from the grave to pump out a new season or three, or just get flat revivals with new series.

It may be a long wait for the fans but if something like Arrested Development can get a new season with all the scheduling fuckery surrounding it than anything is on the table, SS always need new content to bring in subscribers.

AS is notorious for not letting go of IP, so HBO Max is the only hope really.

Brendan Small has quite literally begged AS to let him finish metalocalypse somewhere else and the response has always been gently caress off. So much so that he had to finish the story in secret on his own album with a rearranged track order to hide it.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Kingnothing posted:

AS is notorious for not letting go of IP, so HBO Max is the only hope really.

Brendan Small has quite literally begged AS to let him finish metalocalypse somewhere else and the response has always been gently caress off. So much so that he had to finish the story in secret on his own album with a rearranged track order to hide it.

Really wish we knew the whole story of what went down there, because there's levels of spite that have never been satisfactorily explained. A bad letter writing/faxing campaign goes far beyond the level of middle fingers given by Adult Swim to that show.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TerminalRaptor posted:

Really wish we knew the whole story of what went down there, because there's levels of spite that have never been satisfactorily explained. A bad letter writing/faxing campaign goes far beyond the level of middle fingers given by Adult Swim to that show.

If I recall correctly the story is: BS asks AS to do a rock opera. AS says no go, can't use it, please make us a season of 12 minute episodes. BS says "sure," takes the money, and then makes the Doomstar Requiem. He delivers it to AS who then says "what the gently caress is this, we can't use this, and this isn't what we paid you for. You're canceled." and then aired the opera once or twice and otherwise just sells it ala cart on various services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I recall correctly the story is: BS asks AS to do a rock opera. AS says no go, can't use it, please make us a season of 12 minute episodes. BS says "sure," takes the money, and then makes the Doomstar Requiem. He delivers it to AS who then says "what the gently caress is this, we can't use this, and this isn't what we paid you for. You're canceled." and then aired the opera once or twice and otherwise just sells it ala cart on various services.

That is a pretty dick move to say you are going to do something agree to do something else then do the first thing after being told not to.

It is better to do and then ask for forgiveness then to do it out of spite after being shot down.