Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Wow, wide SPD MTB shoes are very expensive.

I grabbed these from my local REI for like $120 about a month ago. They're not listed as an E-width size, but they accommodate my preposterous duck feet even better than my previous pair of wide Shimanos. A worthwhile trade for the orthopedic/Shoes for Crews aesthetic IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
new shoooz thursday

gonna try them out tomorrow

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Putting my deep carbon tubs on tonight. Think I'll do a Merckx attempt at my personal hour record on Sunday. I'll hit it again in the spring with full aero kit.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Plan for CX was to buy some new tires for my new wheelset and set up the old one tubeless with my mud tires. Figured I may as well give it a go with the mud tires at least seeing as I've never actually done any cross riding tubeless seeing as I only had one set of wheels for two sets of tires (my MXPs are non tubeless, gotta fix that next year) up until now and now's the perfect time to experiment.

So 'orange seal will plug up almost anything' is kinda BS, very first ride I hit a patch of single track that has a little buried concrete and it popped a hole in the front tire. Had to shove a side of bacon in it to finally get it to seal. The hole was tiny, wtf.

Overall though it's decent traction, I haven't burped so far and it's nice being able to kamikaze roots and whatnot without worrying about pinch flats. A buddy of mine said he's still not terribly keen on CX tubeless because of burping in corners and if I run into the same trouble I should try his recipe; latex tubes and a ton of baby powder between the tube and tire.

One of the local shops is still running their CX rides which is basically riding the monkey trails and cutting through parks. Bunch of fast riders so at least I'm getting something resembling CX in.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Claim: People say Orange Seal will plug almost anything.

Fact Check: False. Proponents of Orange Seal did not say this. It does, however, work better than competing products.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Apparently you don't need to replace the tape + valve on tubeless wheels if they aren't damaged? I had the impression they had to be replaced with a new tire.

I was going to throw my new tires on my wheels tonight but I'll probably go grab some rim tape and do it Sunday after I ride tomorrow.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
No, I don’t retape every time, but I do clean the gunk off the valves.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

No, I don’t retape every time, but I do clean the gunk off the valves.

Apr 7, 2003

That's a load off my mind, I'm worried that i'll put the tire on and it won't inflate and then I'll have to miss a ride like some kind of inept loser.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I found I just always ran more pressure to take my mind off collapsing sidewalls with tubeless knobbies. I low key hated trying to "dial in" the lowest possible PSI I'd rather just run something that works. Tubeless is no substitute for proper tubs if you are that serious any ways. Or go totally crazy and run cush cores. I'm just going to leave my G-one's all arounds on the bike this year. Need to get my rear wheel trued and an easier cassette put on though but I am looking forward to my CX shreds on dog walking trails.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Anza Borrego posted:

Wow, wide SPD MTB shoes are very expensive.

I don't know what price range you're looking for, but in case this helps, the cheapest "wide" sized SPD MTB shoes I know of are the Bont Riot+ at $189.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Oh my God. Tubs are awesome. It's like sex with the road, no contraceptives. It's been years since I've been on a set and I'll have you know it's just as good as the first time.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

Oh my God. Tubs are awesome. It's like sex with the road, no contraceptives. It's been years since I've been on a set and I'll have you know it's just as good as the first time.

What do you carry for flats?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

numberoneposter posted:

I keep being tempted and at some point I'll probably end up with an 80s roadie on tubs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

bicievino posted:

When I ride tubs I keep spare wheels and/or a 2nd bike in the pits.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just get a friend to follow behind you in a car with spare bikes

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mila kunis posted:

Any recommended options for storing a bike indoors? I live in a tiny rented apartment and can't drill anything into the walls, also want to avoid disassembling/reassembling stuff if possible. I have a balcony but I'm not sure if its a good idea to leave it outside in freezing temperatures during winter.

I've been using these gravity racks for the better part of ten years. On the Michelangelo rack the rubberized coating on the hooks eventually dries up and cracks away, but an easy fix is to rewrap it with old inner tube.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bicievino posted:

A taxi I guess.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

When I ride tubs I keep spare wheels and/or a 2nd bike in the pits.

I mean, yeah, that's what I do, too, and is why I don't ride on the road with em.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/4OJOV2F.mp4

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ordered a new seat post with zero setback. My seat is fully forward on the rails and yet I feel the reach was just a tad too long and my hips are slightly too far behind the crank. I'm having to push a bit too much forward on pedals. Feels particularly odd when sitting fairly upright, on the tops, going uphill. Might not be the right choice, but worth a shot. Zero setback havers, do you find them less comfortable?

Also got some less gravely tires, WTF are there tires available without tan sidewalls?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ola posted:

Ordered a new seat post with zero setback. My seat is fully forward on the rails and yet I feel the reach was just a tad too long and my hips are slightly too far behind the crank. I'm having to push a bit too much forward on pedals. Feels particularly odd when sitting fairly upright, on the tops, going uphill. Might not be the right choice, but worth a shot. Zero setback havers, do you find them less comfortable?

Also got some less gravely tires, WTF are there tires available without tan sidewalls?

I find zero setback much more comfortable, personally.
Realistically it depends a ton on your body, frame geometry, and fit on the bike. Modern fits tend to be more forward.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bicievino posted:

I find zero setback much more comfortable, personally.
Realistically it depends a ton on your body, frame geometry, and fit on the bike. Modern fits tend to be more forward.

I am thinking, perhaps wrongly, that with some setback you get some damping effect from the seat post flexing, but with zero setback your weight goes straight down so it might be harsher. I thought about that flexing carbon thing from Canyon but it has quite a bit of setback.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ola posted:

I thought about that flexing carbon thing from Canyon but it has quite a bit of setback.

They make both setback and 0 offset versions. I had the 0 offset one and it was noticeably more flexy than other posts. I think Tour Magazin tested a bunch of posts and confirmed that while the setback one was somewhat flexier than the the 0 offset, both were substantially more so than other posts.
The flexion you’re experiencing comes from bending all along the exposed post, and not just the little cantilever of the setback clamp head. So actually, a softer carbon post with 25cm showing could flex better than an Ergon with just 10cm out (tho iirc, the min showing had to be more than that cuz of shape and clamping).

As to fit, I don’t bother with handlebar placement until my pedaling feels good. The two are certainly connected, especially if reach is too long and you’re pulling yourself forward.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

They make both setback and 0 offset versions. I had the 0 offset one and it was noticeably more flexy than other posts. I think Tour Magazin tested a bunch of posts and confirmed that while the setback one was somewhat flexier than the the 0 offset, both were substantially more so than other posts.
The flexion you’re experiencing comes from bending all along the exposed post, and not just the little cantilever of the setback clamp head. So actually, a softer carbon post with 25cm showing could flex better than an Ergon with just 10cm out (tho iirc, the min showing had to be more than that cuz of shape and clamping).

As to fit, I don’t bother with handlebar placement until my pedaling feels good. The two are certainly connected, especially if reach is too long and you’re pulling yourself forward.

Yeah I was thinking about a shorter stem too, but the seat was definitely the right place to start. The zero setback one is probably out of stock, didn't see it on the site. It's cool to be gradually circling in on a perfect fit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I did Mt Baldy today, it owned.

Apr 7, 2003

Took a ride on the Ghost Town Trail in western PA today. Pretty this time of year.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I love a good tree tunnel

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Ola posted:

Yeah I was thinking about a shorter stem too, but the seat was definitely the right place to start. The zero setback one is probably out of stock, didn't see it on the site. It's cool to be gradually circling in on a perfect fit.

0-offset is good, I don't notice the ride quality difference - though I'm not running narrow tires at high pressure. I hope that does it for you and you don't go getting a custom frame built with a steeper seat tube *cough*

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

e.pilot posted:

I did Mt Baldy today, it owned.

I'm new to the thread, but that is a an odd looking bike you're using to clown people with Strava KOMs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sab0921 posted:

I'm new to the thread, but that is a an odd looking bike you're using to clown people with Strava KOMs.

It’s a bike friday pocket rocket and has absolutely zero right being as good as it is.

I travel for work if you’re in one of the places I go to maybe you can experience the majesty, many a goonbutt has graced its saddle.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 4, 2020

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

spf3million posted:

Speaking of my next build

:getin:

Dope!

I have one of these, mine is a 1983 model that I rode around with a modern Record group but it's in pieces now because I found a nice C-Record group and I am going to slap on it.

Rides great, here is an old pic of mine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Where can I get a wheelset with a dynamo hub in Canada? Are the options really only like $1000 or build-your-own?

Just looking for a replacement wheelset for my wife’s 700C (I think they’re 22mm wide, they’re Bontrager at-750s anyway, bike wheels are hard!) wheels so that she can have dyno lights this winter. Oh and she has rim breaks haha.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

tuyop posted:

Where can I get a wheelset with a dynamo hub in Canada? Are the options really only like $1000 or build-your-own?

Just looking for a replacement wheelset for my wife’s 700C (I think they’re 22mm wide, they’re Bontrager at-750s anyway, bike wheels are hard!) wheels so that she can have dyno lights this winter. Oh and she has rim breaks haha.

Any local bike shop with a wheel builder. Shimano have a 75$ dynamo hub that I've been using for a few winters and works as well as the Alfine at twice the price. I haven't been able to find a b2b supplier of pre-built dynamo wheels in Canada.

Edit: a CR18 rim would be 40$ and lacing and spokes probably 75-100$. Not the cheapest but decent and it'll last many winters.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jet sanchEz posted:

Dope!

I have one of these, mine is a 1983 model that I rode around with a modern Record group but it's in pieces now because I found a nice C-Record group and I am going to slap on it.

Rides great, here is an old pic of mine.

That is a handsome bike, great bar tape/saddle/frame color match.

I've been debating the aesthetics of my build. It's going to have modern components: black drive train, black brakes, muted-logo carbon wheels. I was going to go with black stem and post as well but now I'm thinking that they need to be silver as a continuation of the chrome fork and rear triangle. Are there rules about this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SimonSays posted:

Any local bike shop with a wheel builder. Shimano have a 75$ dynamo hub that I've been using for a few winters and works as well as the Alfine at twice the price. I haven't been able to find a b2b supplier of pre-built dynamo wheels in Canada.

Edit: a CR18 rim would be 40$ and lacing and spokes probably 75-100$. Not the cheapest but decent and it'll last many winters.

Oh that’s a good middle ground since I very much don’t have the tools, time, space or skills to build a wheel reliably.

I’ll look around my city and see how they handle parts sourcing and stuff.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

dig this. is that the Wolf Tooth headset bling? if not, what is it?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spf3million posted:

That is a handsome bike, great bar tape/saddle/frame color match.

I've been debating the aesthetics of my build. It's going to have modern components: black drive train, black brakes, muted-logo carbon wheels. I was going to go with black stem and post as well but now I'm thinking that they need to be silver as a continuation of the chrome fork and rear triangle. Are there rules about this?

This is an A+ frame design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

e.pilot posted:

Looks like it’s orange, hth op.

Lol I appreciate the effort. I only asked because that pic looks nothing like the Google image results for “POC helmet orange” so I thought maybe it was some limited edition offering.