Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah, I think I'll maybe take another look at it if it's still on the market in 2 weeks, which I doubt it will be.

Well that was easy, it's already pending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is it unusual to do loan estimates and rate shopping after putting in an offer on a house? Or do most people just roll with their pre-approval lender? Our last realtor kept pushing for 14 to 21 day closings on our offers, by that doesn't leave a lot of leeway to actually shop and close on time. It might be necessary in a hot market to keep your offer competitive?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Is it unusual to do loan estimates and rate shopping after putting in an offer on a house? Or do most people just roll with their pre-approval lender? Our last realtor kept pushing for 14 to 21 day closings on our offers, by that doesn't leave a lot of leeway to actually shop and close on time. It might be necessary in a hot market to keep your offer competitive?

In a perfect world this wouldn't be necessary, you could just trust your lender is putting in the work to get a competitive rate. We don't live in a perfect world, it there can be a savings of thousands of dollars from shopping around even if you already have a good rate. You should shop around either immediately before putting in an offer, like the day of, or right away after getting the accepted offer. Rates/closing costs can change significantly between when you are preapproved and when you lock it in. Generally you don't need to change lenders, your current lender will match, or come very close to matching your next best offer.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
We spoke to lenders and got informal quotes before making any offers. Got a prequal from one as well.

Obviously, there's limitations but we were able to rule out one just from the crazy difference in their fees. The others were very comparable, so we picked the one we thought would be the most active in making sure we close on time.

We're in a decently hot market. Good places going within a day or 2 and multiple offers are common. If we had tried to shop around from 0 post offer, it would have been super stressful.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Just take the lowest rate. It's going to be sold to another group within a year anyway.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

PageMaster posted:

100% shop around. Our pre-approval lender was telling us 2.65 with no points at the pre-approval stage, then that magically became 2.99 or 2.65 with a full point. We went to a local credit union and got an offer of 2.5 with a quarter point, took their loan estimate to the first lender, and got them to offer 2.5 with a third of a point but they waved enough of their own fees that it balanced out to being about the same as 2.5 with zero points.

That's going to save us a lot ton of money in the long term.

Oh and no one really acted like we were dicks or anything. They know how the game is played. I'm pretty sure the pre-approval lender just jacked the rate for the actual offer because they wanted to see if they could get free money out of us.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is new construction required to have railings on steps at the front of a house?

and is my home builder a shitter for putting a tree above where my water and or sewer line is? it’s a new tree so roots won’t be a problem for ... a decade? but still

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Ask your inspector. I've learned that new construction is probably more in need of inspection than existing homes.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

good call, i guess. they'd know.

i'm still waiting for them to do my carpet and some other things inside before i call an inspector. there's a bunch of vents(?) on the top of the house that seem like they meet the roof with a rubber gasket and i'm wondering how rainproof that is / how long before it will need replacing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolfs posted:

i'm still waiting for them to do my carpet and some other things inside before i call an inspector. there's a bunch of vents(?) on the top of the house that seem like they meet the roof with a rubber gasket and i'm wondering how rainproof that is / how long before it will need replacing

You're probably talking about vents. And they are flashed with an integral rubber gasket. The assembly is designed to last the life of your shingles basically. So you replace them each time the roof is replaced.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

wolfs posted:

and is my home builder a shitter for putting a tree above where my water and or sewer line is? it’s a new tree so roots won’t be a problem for ... a decade? but still

Just based on the last condo I rented I'd be out there to take that tree down tomorrow. There was a fairly large tree (~3 foot diameter) that had been planted right in the sliver of green between the condo front and the community path to get to the front door. One day we woke up to find that the little green bit out there was a swamp with a half inch of standing water. Tree had heaved enough poo poo to break the pipe. The people were were renting for had to pay to have the tree removed and it turned out the roots had hosed up pretty much every pipe going into that condo, so a huge chunk of dirt around it had to be dug up for a while while they ran new water and sewer.

No loving way I'd leave a tree over pipes I owned.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

well that sounds horrific! it's a tall sapling - maybe 2 inches in diameter

they put the grass and trees on top of the bare dirt/grading literally yesterday. on Monday I'll have my realtor make some noise with them about it. if they don't want to remove it it can be a fun flower patch in a few weeks once i move in.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ask me about having to pay $2150 to have a dead oak cut and ground out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

wolfs posted:

well that sounds horrific! it's a tall sapling - maybe 2 inches in diameter

they put the grass and trees on top of the bare dirt/grading literally yesterday. on Monday I'll have my realtor make some noise with them about it. if they don't want to remove it it can be a fun flower patch in a few weeks once i move in.

Yeah, get it out while it's young. Taking out a 2 inch tree is something you can do with a saw and a shovel. When they get big enough to start eating your pipes it's arborist and yard crew time.

If they just put it in there's also a good chance you can just have it moved. It might kill the tree, but it might not.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
When they get big enough you have to file a heritage tree removal request to the city, which automatically leads to a petition to review the heritage removal request because one neighbor thinks they are affected by the quality of the tree, which leads to environmental review in person of your tree removal request, which then potentially may lead to the city saying that your tree cannot be removed.

;)

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Yeah but you could probably just poison it so it dies and then nobody's gonna say poo poo.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the builder HOA is already giving me heartache. the builder’s agent tells me in an email, “I know we have to have a tree there for now for HOA, maybe we can put it on the other side. Not promising this yet, but I can ask.”

joy of joys. having them remove it and put some grass on top would break some rule. but in the same email- “Yes, there’s no warranty on plants after moving in. We can’t know if you watered them or not.”

bleh

she also *thinks* it’s an oak

I googled this lazily earlier and it seems Elgin, TX has no prohibitions on home owners just removing trees

evidently certain evergreen trees and shrubs grow to manageable heights and have shallow roots. I might see about replacing it if for whatever reason the HOA says I need *a* tree in that spot, or 2 trees in my front yard, or whatever.

oh, another thing: I will soon be paying a mortgage on 2 or 3 feet of grass and shrubs behind my back fence that then leads into a county-owned drainage ditch. I’m not clear on whether I’m responsible for maintaining that or the county is. my father happens to own something like 3/4 of an acre behind his back fence that he’s not allowed to use because one of those massive power pylons runs through it to a nearby substation, but he has to mow it.

that would be a good place to put an oak, yeah? the spit of land?

wolfs fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 3, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
On a long enough time line, your house belongs to the trees more so than the trees belong to the house

Cut that bitch out YESTERDAY

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolfs posted:

the builder HOA is already giving me heartache. the builder’s agent tells me in an email, “I know we have to have a tree there for now for HOA, maybe we can put it on the other side. Not promising this yet, but I can ask.”

joy of joys. having them remove it and put some grass on top would break some rule. but in the same email- “Yes, there’s no warranty on plants after moving in. We can’t know if you watered them or not.”

You builder should be aware of the builder HOA rules, as well as the fact that planting a tree over your soil line is a material defect. Which means if the tree needs to be RIGHT THERE they obviously laid pipe in the wrong place and it's on them to correct it.

See how this works? Things don't just happen that someone can blame on someone else and then leave you holding the bag.

(wait until you see how quick they move that loving tree if you convincingly pull off that line of thought)

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Brought it up to my realtor. We’ll see.

He did a good job last week of yelling at them about wasting my time: the builder was claiming the a/c condenser, a GE microwave, and carpet were on back order and holding up construction.

I was supposed to close October 6th before these apparent shortages, which then became the 14th, then the 21st, then finally the 28th.

He called Tuesday, yelled at them for an hour, and they had a condenser and carpet the next day. And a microwave lined up for this coming Monday.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wolfs posted:

A 2" tree you should be able to transplant if it was literally put in yesterday. Dig out around it probably 18" in a circle and move it somewhere. If it lives great, your tree is alive. If it dies then you were planning on cutting it down anyways.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

wolfs posted:

Brought it up to my realtor. We’ll see.

He did a good job last week of yelling at them about wasting my time: the builder was claiming the a/c condenser, a GE microwave, and carpet were on back order and holding up construction.

I was supposed to close October 6th before these apparent shortages, which then became the 14th, then the 21st, then finally the 28th.

He called Tuesday, yelled at them for an hour, and they had a condenser and carpet the next day. And a microwave lined up for this coming Monday.

If you haven't closed yet you need to be raising a big stink, ideally by insisting the builders violated the HOA guidelines when they puti n the pipes like Motronic said.

You 100% do not want to be buying a house with an HOA mandated tree right over your pipes.

Edit: I'm not going to tell you what your bullshit tolerance should be for HOA poo poo. Some people are fine with them, others can't stand them. But I will say that if they're detailed enough to be mandating poo poo like a tree in a specific part of the yard you should give that document a REALLY close read before signing anything and make sure that you understand and are OK with their demands.

Remember: right now worst case you're out your earnest money. You have the potential for being stuck holding a much larger bag.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Deviant posted:

ask me about having to pay $2150 to have a dead oak cut and ground out.

Oak trees only live 500 years so that is 4 bucks a year. Think of all those free leaves and acorns.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Elephanthead posted:

Oak trees only live 500 years so that is 4 bucks a year. Think of all those free leaves and acorns.

yeah my engine bay is just chock full of em tyvm

this would have been a very nice oak tree if the PO had taken care of it

guess what he did not do

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

wolfs posted:

Tree roots are only a problem if the sewer lateral is damaged. They don't grow into and break working sewer laterals. A modern sewer lateral can last 40+ years. Or it could be damaged and fill with dirt without any trees.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lol at the HOA getting to design your garden. Wtf

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is mold in the crawlspace something to be concerned about for a house built 4 years ago? Havent gotten full report back yet but its the only thing the inspector mentioned and said it otherwise looked good, he thought it was from construction?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Generally no. It depends on the source of the problem and how much it will cost to fix it. Usually you can insulate to prevent condensation, and put in a fan to increase airflow and prevent mold and it isn't cost prohibitive

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
The real estate photographer just finished the interior/exterior and drone shots, and said the phots would be ready by 10:00am tomorrow. The realtor said that’s great, we can get your house listed tomorrow evening!

Holy crap this is happening, we are selling the house that we built with our own hands 12 years ago. I spent the last 48 hours doing some hard cleaning and spent the last couple weeks packing stuff up. It has hardly seemed real but when they said it will be listed tomorrow it really hit. I can’t wait to see the listing and see what horror the photographer caught that I missed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Selling the house is the easy part buying one sucks.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

tater_salad posted:

Selling the house is the easy part buying one sucks.

I found selling my house way more stressful than either of my purchases.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I suppose it depends on your market. I'd rather be selling than buying in the one I live in, but only if I was moving elsewhere

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Omne posted:

I found selling my house way more stressful than either of my purchases.
Likewise. The vast majority of prospective home-buyers are complete morons. Rude, inconsiderate, and demanding. gently caress 'em.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

The vast majority of prospective home-buyers are complete morons.

Sounds like me, yup!

Dik Hz posted:

Rude, inconsiderate, and demanding. gently caress 'em.

Hopefully not me :ohdear:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Well, our realtor said she posted the listing and is still uploading the photos, and already has a showing requested for tomorrow. I will be finding out about these “buyers” you all speak so highly of very soon...

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Modus Man posted:

Well, our realtor said she posted the listing and is still uploading the photos, and already has a showing requested for tomorrow. I will be finding out about these “buyers” you all speak so highly of very soon...
My personal experience is that ~10% of home buyers are just "looking" in order to take messy shits in newly renovated bathrooms for giggles.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Modus Man posted:

Definitely a flipper or a landlord. Tell them to get bent and sell to a resident.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who cares what the buyer plans for the house? The money spends the same & all those handwritten letters about raising your 3 kids and a dog are probably lies anyway

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Definitely a flipper or a landlord. Tell them to get bent and sell to a resident.

depends a lot on the market. Some areas are just that hot that sellers will get people wanting to look before the photos are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Tried to buy a beach house today and the cable box literally burst into flames during the walkthrough

Got to see how fast the local fire response time is though!