Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

DROPPIN' LOADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
show bad, will continue watching for milky

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Mithraics lock up children unless they convert (both on Kepler and, according to Paul, on Earth).

Yeah this is bad

quote:

They murder nonbelievers using weapons of mass destruction, which are programmed to murder even nonbeliever babies.

Also bad, but the Atheists may also have been slinging nukes first or in reply

quote:

They execute their own for breaches in their faith.

? the only support i see for this is that Lucius' father was executed after he got a whole bunch of Mithraics killed

quote:

They have inflexible caste systems decided by birth. Children deemed for military service are kept away from their families and the real Marcus is clearly an abusive dickhead who encouraged Paul to abuse animals.
Mithraics are implied to be anti-abortion.

Wait til you hear about what religious fanatics are actually doing on earth right now!

quote:

They've committed genocide in the name of Mithraism, not even sparing people who used Tarot cards.

lol

quote:

They're hardline fanatics who consider all that don't believe in Mithraism to be atheists, and that's a belief that contributed to the widespread destruction of humanity on Earth. That's not milquetoast.

the entire show so far they've basically just functioned as foppish redshirts who can't even kill a single android. having lived in America my whole life and having been immersed in utter villainy, these robed goobers ultimately don't seem that threatening to me!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

just like everyone knows androids are full of white milky liquid, we all know that alien snakes grow exponentially

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

honestly, I like to imagine that ridley scott reads through the script for the first few episodes, sagely nodding, and then turns to the writing room and goes "what if... there are a bunch of gross birth scenes? I think that'd be really original" and then everyone stands up and claps

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

He is a true goon

It's rare and precious to capture a fully grown specimen in the wild

Hope you find your answers about why "a alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug"

I...am owned. Thoroughly. I had not seen that before but now I feel like someone has filmed my life but somehow in another country. Can I claim I was doing a bit? Please don't tell.

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

ridley's notes: needs. more. MILK.

it does a snake body good

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

honestly, I like to imagine that ridley scott reads through the script for the first few episodes, sagely nodding, and then turns to the writing room and goes "what if... there are a bunch of gross birth scenes? I think that'd be really original" and then everyone stands up and claps

ridley's notes: needs. more. MILK.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

but a alien goo snek is auto friend and want hug

This 100% needs to be the new title.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

"I like the idea of including androids... but what if they were full of milk?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i love the snake. it is my child now.

Good, you can keep it.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I must have missed it somewhere, but where is it reveled that the snake is telepathic, or was it the implication that it was telling mother where to g to give birth.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
The ship falling into the core really looked like a spermatozoid reaching the egg. Add one to the motherhood visual metaphors's counter.

That was an insane hour of televisions. Answers? No, gently caress you. The balls on the writers. I'm gonna be here for at least a few S02 episodes, see where they go.

The cave painting can either be explained via time travel or androids in a ship coming to the planet being something that has already happened in the past. But I don't think exlpanations and logic are the big selling points of the show. I mean, the superhuman robots had to kill a small snake and decided to DRIVE INTO THE CORE OF A PLANET.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So that's clearly a birthing mask for a snek from the past. The mouth chute is clearly for a snek to come out of. But the snek that came out of mother doesn't look like the snek skeletons we've seen so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

The ship falling into the core really looked like a spermatozoid reaching the egg. Add one to the motherhood visual metaphors's counter.

That was an insane hour of televisions. Answers? No, gently caress you. The balls on the writers. I'm gonna be here for at least a few S02 episodes, see where they go.

The cave painting can either be explained via time travel or androids in a ship coming to the planet being something that has already happened in the past. But I don't think exlpanations and logic are the big selling points of the show. I mean, the superhuman robots had to kill a small snake and decided to DRIVE INTO THE CORE OF A PLANET.

Ya I am absolutely not expecting them to try and explain things in a believable way with logic and reasoning. I'm just here for the big overall ideas and symbolism flying snake adventures.

Basically

just enjoy the ride. embrace the snake.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DogsInSpace! posted:

Now that movie was awful. Unwatchable. But the mentally disabled guy saying Mr Gray made younger me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUu_gWWPQgQ

Hey Dreamcatcher is on HBO Max if you want to see that scene to the end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Also no explain why Mary Sue thought the babby had to come out or else it would kill mother from the space needle thing beeping.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

So that's clearly a birthing mask for a snek from the past. The mouth chute is clearly for a snek to come out of. But the snek that came out of mother doesn't look like the snek skeletons we've seen so far.
I am so glad we are learning to love Lord Spess Snek. Also Milk. Thank you Ridley Scott.

Shaocaholica posted:

Hey Dreamcatcher is on HBO Max if you want to see that scene to the end.
Why do you hate me so much???

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Was Mother howling like a wolf ever explained? Lol. Or was that just included as a way to justify the series namesake?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

as we all know, snakes and wolves are mortal enemies, therefore,

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I got my mum into watching this and after the finale she said to me, "I don't think I liked that very much." Sorry mum!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

teagone posted:

Was Mother howling like a wolf ever explained? Lol. Or was that just included as a way to justify the series namesake?

You know it's a saying right?

And my god, the number of emotional outbursts my mother had when my brother died, and she didn't have the excuse of being an android unable to parse human emotions. Sometimes, when your kid dies, you yell a lot. Sometimes it's weird yelling.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I loved most of the show but did not like the finale that much

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This show is if Zardoz had a baby with the baby from Eraserhead.

And that baby was delivered by Roy Batty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The finale was batshit and batshit is why I like this show so I am a-ok with it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just my own thoughts:
I actually liked the finale and thought the first season was pretty good overall.
I'm taking the show as more art/symbolism focused than "this should all make perfect sense." I love the bazillion religious/birth imagery things they stuffed into this show and especially in the last episode alone.

-Mother getting pregnant from her creator and Father needing time to understand (with a character named Mary in the show)
-The mashed-up Adam/Eve stuff with Eve giving birth to the serpent and then the couple going to Eden (if that's the tropical zone) instead of being banished
-The sperm/egg imagery of approaching the giant core (and that being on the metal card from a previous episode, which also looks like a sun with rays)
-The flaming (sentient?) core being "Sol" like a sun
-The serpent birthing yet again out of the ship at the very end

It's more of a show to absorb and not really nitpick. I'm not going to obsess that much over how "devolve" is stupid or why characters aren't making the right decisions because if I did, the whole thing would fall apart. The atmosphere and care given to other parts of the show (the music, the character and costume design, etc.) make up for that.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 2, 2020

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ex post facho posted:

ok so here's a lil more thunkin'

if you watch the intro carefully, in the lower left corner, you see a streak and then a spiral appear briefly. immediately after, you see what you assume to be the Earth android ship arriving, but positioned to the right.

what if the lower left ship is a reference to another set of androids leaving?

at some point neanderthals made it to kepler22b, somehow. 40,000 years is a long time for them to precede homo sapien. they develop technology. a similar religious conflict develops and a similar war that wipes them out. mother's discovery of a similar looking android head inside the smaller dodecahedron seems to suggest that the remaining kepleranderthals sealed their remaining androids/central AI up at some point. the weird covered eyes of the helmet suggests a similar sort of eye-technology that mother has.

they send their version of androids to earth with the "dark photon" technology at the brink of their own destruction.

homo sapiens evolves, homo sapien mithraics discover some aspect of the technology approximately 42,000 years later "in the texts", and explains the super-advanced nature of the necromancers. the conflict we see develops, and humans send their androids to kepler.

re: time travel:

i feel like thats the most plausible explanation for the creatures and the holes given what we saw.

mother gives birth to snakebaby. they travel into the core to try to destroy it, and end up traveling into kepler22b's past. snakebaby leaves and becomes some sort of natural creature that tunnels into the planet. an evolved form of these creatures (jaws now positioned frontwards) go extinct at some point in kepler22b's future but before homo sapien humans arrive. would also account for the snake-skin father finds in the hole in one of the first few episodes.

This is so accurate it's basically spoilers for season 2.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Open Source Idiom posted:

You know it's a saying right?

You're making GBS threads me. No loving way. :razz:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This show is simply amazing and I am all in on this wild ride.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

I want Spagnar to make giant floating stone face now. "The gun is good!"

veni veni veni posted:

The finale was batshit and batshit is why I like this show so I am a-ok with it.

I gave it another rewatch and....I'm in for season 2. gently caress it. I bow to Lord Space Snake: Drinker of all the Milks! Don't hold back next season... gently caress logic.... go balls out Mr Scott.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Vintersorg posted:

This show is simply amazing and I am all in on this wild ride.

Agreed. Its so insane and it knows it and its just having a great time throwing so much crazy iconography around to make some weird scifi religious mythlogical insanity.

Its like the thesis of this show is "What kind of insane bizzare hosed up origin history would have had to have actually existed for the civilizations and people of a planet to come up with all the crazy myths and religions that have cropped up around the world for eternity but it actually happened"

Like I am so happy to sit down and watch a show that spits out insane ideas like "what if Quetzalcoatl was birthed by an android"

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Right - except (small nitpick) you don't evolve "back" - because back connotes a hierarchy of traits - you just evolve.

This is fairly pedantic. It's "devolving" from a frame of reference of smart humans -> feral animals. Sure, you need to establish that hierarchy of traits, but to the viewer and presumably the androids humans turning into feral animals is a worse-off state.

Why are people assuming the cave drawings are indicating time travel? Some entity on the planet is able to manipulate humans senses, presumably it did that to whoever drew that stuff, they just painted it like Paul built his miniature city.

Ham fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Gonz posted:

People keep bringing up Zardoz in comparison to this show and I just need to say, as a person that LOVES Zardoz, and has watched it many times with others...Zardoz for the most part makes sense the first time you watch it through. I'd say 90% of people mentioning it have only seen the first 5 minutes with the giant stone head (which is pretty wild) and never gotten past that, but the rest of the movie uses surreal imagery and terminal British-acting to tell a pretty straightforward story with consistent rules for what's going on. I mean, the movie even has multiple flashbacks where characters explain in specific terms what's going on just in case the viewer is getting lost.

In other words, Sir I know Zardoz, and this show is no Zardoz.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

DogsInSpace! posted:

Now that movie was awful. Unwatchable. But the mentally disabled guy saying Mr Gray made younger me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUu_gWWPQgQ

This deleted scene is amazing though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuNoNqJV4Q&t=280s

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's Mother, they went through the planet into the past and at some point she gets locked into a sex-dodecahedron and she's been puking out space snakes for the past 10,000 years.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

This deleted scene is amazing though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuNoNqJV4Q&t=280s

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's Mother, they went through the planet into the past and at some point she gets locked into a sex-dodecahedron and she's been puking out space snakes for the past 10,000 years.

That would also explain mother's revulsion at the head inside the helmet she finds in the cave: she recognizes it as her own.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

In other words, Sir I know Zardoz, and this show is no Zardoz.

Exactly, Zardoz had competent writers, and an ending. This show has neither lol

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

ex post facho posted:

That would also explain mother's revulsion at the head inside the helmet she finds in the cave: she recognizes it as her own.

That made me think of something, there are other Necromancers right, do they all look the same when not in "battle mode"? So we can potentially look forward to seeing Mother making out with another Necromancer that looks like Mother just like Walter and David in Alien Covenant.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

TheMopeSquad posted:

That made me think of something, there are other Necromancers right, do they all look the same when not in "battle mode"? So we can potentially look forward to seeing Mother making out with another Necromancer that looks like Mother just like Walter and David in Alien Covenant.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

I really loved Father becoming a catty bitch when he thought that Mother slept with their creator. Just burn after burn on Mother like saying how he was pretty sure he wouldn't fall in love with her again.

That “Well!” he blurts out to Mother was too real.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Father did steal the show in 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So was the guy in the cube a human or android? The head did not seem like a normal mummified head and he was drooling android jizz so I am assuming the former.