Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Taima posted:

e: also plenty of people in Taiwan are sympathetic to China so it really depends who you ask.

Lol they're an extreme minority my dude. If by "plenty" you mean "exists" then sure?

Taima posted:

They’re as independent as any tiny country can be while being directly next to a giant ornery country who thinks it owns them.

That’s just the reality. Taiwan is one of my favorite places to visit and I have strong connections there so spare me the lecture.

e: also plenty of people in Taiwan are sympathetic to China so it really depends who you ask.

You're ridiculously misinformed for someone with "strong connections", which seems to mean "I know a couple people from there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Shine posted:

Please stop.

I would be happy to, my apologies to all.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 2, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Please stop.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

GTC is on Monday so looking forward to hearing about the Quadros (and potentially Titan) that no one will be able to get for another couple months

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taima posted:

My 3090 fe gets here tomorrow so it seems my watch has ended but I still like the thread.

I also plan to put it up for 2500 and see if anyone bites locally so im keeping my foot in the pool in case that occurs

I also want it tho so I won’t try too hard to sell it

definitely sell if you dont need the upgrade now and who really does. Its only worth the extra money now and you can just buy another later on, something like a strix model

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It’s such a good point :/ and I really wish it wasn’t. My stupid monkey brain wants it so bad.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can still run it until its sold. Show off the fps and boost numbers as evidence that its not a defective one to the defective people who still believe in the cap drama

All of my new build arrived before my 3080fe so im going to do a 3900x build with a 7970, the only "spare" gpu i have. Blinged out RGB everywhere with an ancient plasticky blower card front and center. Should be a pretty interesting before and after performance comparison. Lets see how fine that wine is

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 2, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hell yeah! When does the FE come in?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Numinous posted:

I asked my CDW rep to look into the Evga XC3 SKUs in their system. He emailed me yesterday that they were working on getting them into the system and should have some news in the next day or two. Based on some posts today looks like that's happening maybe today? Once they are in the system he can usually give me some sort of estimate on when their expecting stock from distribution. If I hear anything I'll let you folks know.

Oh wow please do and thank you.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a 9/23 night order. Its not scheduled until monday, but im pretty certain its coming before than based on how suspiciously little activity the tracking shows beyond initial scan in several days ago.

The water blocks are still on a boat from taiwan and weeks away

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

im a 9/23 night order. Its not scheduled until monday, but im pretty certain its coming before than based on how suspiciously little activity the tracking shows beyond initial scan in several days ago.

The water blocks are still on a boat from taiwan and weeks away

Mine was showing Friday (from reference #). Then when they emailed me the shipping it switched to Monday.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

spunkshui posted:

MSI has shady marketing practices so it would not shock me for 1 second they they would put a 3rd power plug on a card and then not use it.

I have hated MSI for years for personal hardware failure experiences and experiences from people I know. When steve put out his big MSI marketing takedown story it didn’t shock me at all.

EVGA and ASUS are much better names for mobos designed for overclocking.

I dont give a poo poo what a MSI product cant do.

I agree with you for the most part and I would never buy an MSI product under normal circumstances.

Having said that they had a lot to atone for with those X570 gaming carbon motherboards and when they released the new X570 Tomahawks they overbuilt the gently caress out of them for a very cheap price. I have a tomahawk in my system and I find it works just fine. My previous system was an Rog Maximus Formula IX and it had this intermittent problem where I’d get a black screen after it posts so windows refused to load. I had to hard reset every time I turned on the computer to make it run properly.

God help you if you need to use ASUS customer service. It sucks and they adhere strictly by the book to procedures which makes RMA a nightmare. Having said that my current 1070 is a Strix and it’s been excellent. I expect the same from the 3080. I got a direct replacement plan when I “bought” it so if there is any early batch fuckery I’ll just get a new card of equivalent value.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So weirdly the sketchy seller on Newegg has shipped my SF750, and it shows up as in the hands of Fedex, in Ontario CA, with a delivery date of Saturday--a full two days ahead of schedule.

Newegg bad, Newegg market... good? :confused:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Soon we will all have our 3080s and there will be nothing left to look forward to :)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm looking forward to benchmarking, revisiting games, and playing games that I'd put off because I wanted high refresh with RTX on or simply high res high refresh. Like Metro Exodus. I love Metro games but put it off because global illumination is goddamn sexy tech and I didn't want a Turing card. RDR2. Control. Can finally hopefully get locked 120+ fps at 1440p in Warzone without making it look like rear end.

Games are cool man.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

:toot:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pivo posted:

playing games that I'd put off because I wanted high refresh with RTX on or simply high res high refresh. Like Metro Exodus. I love Metro games but put it off because global illumination is goddamn sexy tech and I didn't want a Turing card. RDR2. Control. Can finally hopefully get locked 120+ fps at 1440p in Warzone without making it look like rear end.

Games are cool man.

This is exactly where I am.

I've spent the last year and a half building an entire room capable of 4K/120 and 5K2K ultrawide productivity/gaming, starting with a 65 inch LG C9 OLED, arranging a gaming side and a home office side to support using them both comfortably (especially the OLED as you need to be quite close to it for 4K to really be worth it). A 5K2K ultrawide for desktop use and an entire redone home office setup, which is only 60fps and mostly for work, but also to play keyboard and mouse games on. A Herman Miller Embody for that as well.

After that I built the audio: JBL Studio 580 floorstanding speakers for the OLED, Studio 530s for the desktop, Denon TrueHD lossless receiver, DAC, Amp, thunderbolt/DP1.4 hookups to support effortless switching between a MBP and my gaming-specific PC. A Shield Plex server that serves a huge library of full quality 4K remux Dolby TrueHD to the OLED on demand, not just in the new room but across the house so my wife and I can watch whatever, anywhere.

Too much money later, all that I need... the one piece I didn't have, but always planned for, was an HDMI 2.1 graphics card. So I waited. And waited. And it's finally here tomorrow, a 3090 FE.

It honestly feels kind of surreal. I've invested so much time, money and consideration into this setup. No expense was spared at any point. While it's not done (that won't occur until Zen 3 launches shortly) it's just wild that it's finally ready to play as intended.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sphyre posted:

Soon we will all have our 3080s and there will be nothing left to look forward to :)

Overclocking.

I cant wait to hook all 6 of my wifes PWM fans to the strix so it has full control of her entire case cooling.

Just gotta move 1 pin :getin:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That is a neat feature. I have 3 case fans as well and I was thinking of adding 3 below. I mean, there's fan control software that'll do it, but the hardware implementation is much cooler.

Can you control the curve when it's driven off the Strix, though?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Rolo posted:

My CDW ordered EVGA changed from BACKORDER to NOT YET SHIPPED.

That’s a thing maybe! Maybe not!!

You got lucky, mine is still sitting at backordered.

They must have had a known quantity, and any orders beyond that (I ordered mine a little over an hour after your post telling us they were showing them in stock) got stuck at backordered for real.

They did lower the cost on my order by about $40 for reasons I can't really explain, so even if it takes a little longer, it's only going to be a $110 markup instead of $150.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pivo posted:

Games are cool man.

Yup I'm so ready to plug my 3080 into my LG C9 and forget the last couple months of anticipation and F5'ing. I'm upgrading from a drat PS4 so I have a bunch of games queued up to replay or finally try. MGSV just for kicks, Death Stranding to see DLSS and HDMI 2.1 bury me in frames, Metro Exodus and Control for raytracing, Bloodstained because it apparently runs like mud on every other platform, some indies that I've been putting off buying so I can play them at 4K. It's gonna be a fun few weeks after my GPU arrives.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

I for one will be happy to call this project complete. I still have a water block to get and fit, but between that and the new PSU, I will finally be "done" building my new machine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

where the gently caress is my new xx30 card nvidia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Do you have a method to quickly switch from monitor to TV? I have 2 monitors and its a chore switching to the TV.

I downloaded NirCmd to make keyboard shortcuts with bat files but can't find a command to disable and enable specific displays.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Do you have a method to quickly switch from monitor to TV? I have 2 monitors and its a chore switching to the TV.

I downloaded NirCmd to make keyboard shortcuts with bat files but can't find a command to disable and enable specific displays.

Look up "Monitor Profile Switcher."

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Look up "Monitor Profile Switcher."

That looks great. Thanks.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Pivo posted:

That is a neat feature. I have 3 case fans as well and I was thinking of adding 3 below. I mean, there's fan control software that'll do it, but the hardware implementation is much cooler.

Can you control the curve when it's driven off the Strix, though?

They put spots on the board for your to solder poo poo, I'm confident I will be able annoy my wife with hours of fan graphs.

My case fans are all old 3 pins that hook up to old school knobs on the front. :(

Going to at least swap out the bottom fan with a an extra faster PWM 150mm noctua fan.

Maybe by some time in April when they release this fuckkin thing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they realized making you happy was a sisyphean task

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 2, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Taima posted:

This is exactly where I am.

I've spent the last year and a half building an entire room capable of 4K/120 and 5K2K ultrawide productivity/gaming, starting with a 65 inch LG C9 OLED, arranging a gaming side and a home office side to support using them both comfortably (especially the OLED as you need to be quite close to it for 4K to really be worth it). A 5K2K ultrawide for desktop use and an entire redone home office setup, which is only 60fps and mostly for work, but also to play keyboard and mouse games on. A Herman Miller Embody for that as well.

After that I built the audio: JBL Studio 580 floorstanding speakers for the OLED, Studio 530s for the desktop, Denon TrueHD lossless receiver, DAC, Amp, thunderbolt/DP1.4 hookups to support effortless switching between a MBP and my gaming-specific PC. A Shield Plex server that serves a huge library of full quality 4K remux Dolby TrueHD to the OLED on demand, not just in the new room but across the house so my wife and I can watch whatever, anywhere.

Too much money later, all that I need... the one piece I didn't have, but always planned for, was an HDMI 2.1 graphics card. So I waited. And waited. And it's finally here tomorrow, a 3090 FE.

It honestly feels kind of surreal. I've invested so much time, money and consideration into this setup. No expense was spared at any point. While it's not done (that won't occur until Zen 3 launches shortly) it's just wild that it's finally ready to play as intended.

jacked into my $25,000 room and ready to CONSUME

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Too late for that buddy you already made several dozen posts in the thread where people talk about the time they're spending buying an 800 dollar luxury good.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just listened to Ram Ranch on Audeze LCD-4s in my incel cum dungeon but I couldn't watch the accompanying movie because I don't have a GPU yet :pressf:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Excellent taste friend.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

DLSS IS BLACK loving MAGIC

It's incredible.

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 2, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
DLSS IS BLACK loving MAGIC

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

"NVIDIA pushes GeForce RTX 3070 graphics cards back"

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-pushes-geforce-rtx-3070-launch-back-to-october-29th

https://www.techpowerup.com/272865/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-launch-postponed-to-october-29th

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Well that just cements that I'm going to buy a Asus 3080 TUF this month instead of dealing with with 3070 stock issues

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

yeah rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3Zx4bV0RE

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lol. Anyway, looking forward to having a 3080 snagged from my basket each week for the next 2-3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mercrom posted:

If you only need to use one at a time then an easy way is to leave your display settings on "Show only on 1" and then physically turn on / off the displays and it will switch nicely between the two.