Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ralph is a good boy, he would never swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hell, Raphael's nice enough towards Lorenz that his immediate first reaction to the idea of Lorenz's dad being responsible for his parents death is 'no way that's impossible Lorenz is my friend.'

He is the best boy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hellioning posted:

Hell, Raphael's nice enough towards Lorenz that his immediate first reaction to the idea of Lorenz's dad being responsible for his parents death is 'no way that's impossible Lorenz is my friend.'

He is the best boy.

No. That would be Ashe. He's the most well meaning, focused character that never devolves into a caricature of his archetype like Ignatz, Raphael, and Caspar do.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Ralph's take is more just a denial of this having anything to do with anything between him and Lorenz. That is Lorenz's dad being a piece of poo poo has no bearing on his judgement of Lorenz.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I recruited Balthazar on my current Verdant Wind playthrough, and...he's really into older women.

Why in the world didn't they give him any supports with Manuela?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inu posted:

I recruited Balthazar
you recruited who

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Amppelix posted:

you recruited who

Whoops!

I've also been playing in Japanese on this playthrough. *Balthus.* I forgot his name is different in Japanese than English.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

you recruited who

n/m

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inu posted:

I've also been playing in Japanese on this playthrough. *Balthus.* I forgot his name is different in Japanese than English.
oh, i didn't even know that! i genuinely had no idea who you were talking about lol

in other news:

physical lysithea has arrived and started on her path to godhood

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That colour palette is really cute for brigand.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The lady Brigand outfit is so cozy. I want it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

out of curiosity: does *anyone* actually know how exactly the assassinate combat art works? does it have the same success rate as lethality? more?? the game's been super datamined so this info should be out there but i haven't run across it

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just gave up on Maddening during the first mock battle (the first proper fight of the game). I'd like Hard to be a bit harder, enjoyed the DLC's version of it and found the last couple maps of Azure Moon pretty tricky at times, but it turns out I'm absolutely not a good enough player to deal with Maddening. Oh well.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Amppelix posted:

out of curiosity: does *anyone* actually know how exactly the assassinate combat art works? does it have the same success rate as lethality? more?? the game's been super datamined so this info should be out there but i haven't run across it

The only thing I've found that claims any details about how it works is this https://fe3h.com/combat_arts/assassinate

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Any reason on an intended Silver Snow run to use Hubert at all? I can't remember if he's ever necessary and the dlc characters fill out the roster from the start. I love him and would love to give him a wyvern but it does feel like a waste.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

eating only apples posted:

Any reason on an intended Silver Snow run to use Hubert at all? I can't remember if he's ever necessary and the dlc characters fill out the roster from the start. I love him and would love to give him a wyvern but it does feel like a waste.

Nope.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cool, benched, rip

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I just gave up on Maddening during the first mock battle (the first proper fight of the game). I'd like Hard to be a bit harder, enjoyed the DLC's version of it and found the last couple maps of Azure Moon pretty tricky at times, but it turns out I'm absolutely not a good enough player to deal with Maddening. Oh well.

Did you try NG or NG+? It helps a lot early on if you have battalions for everyone.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Genovera posted:

Did you try NG or NG+? It helps a lot early on if you have battalions for everyone.

Yeah this is my fourth run so multiple NG+s, I just don't think it's for me

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah the jump to maddening is just unreasonably big. The game could really use a fourth difficulty. In fact, here, I'll demonstrate how to make one right now: just take maddening and lower enemy levels closer to what they are on hard but keep all other changes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

man why do I always forget to plan for who my dancer is

and then when it comes time for it i'm too attached to all the dumb builds i've come up with to toss any of them into the dancer blender

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Damage and healing utility, they get Mire B at D+ Reason. Saying they have no use is objectively wrong, absolutely no practical reason to go down a unit immediately unless you just want to make the game harder for yourself.

Still don't overuse them, or put much investment in. Still leaves you at the end of Chapter11

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 5, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The trick to early maddening is learning to pull enemies one (or as few as possible) at a time. Use the right trigger to see what the enemies' range is. Put a single tank out to draw one or two enemies, and gang rush them the next turn.

Maddening isn't any more "difficult" than hard, it just requires more patience.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well that's just blatantly untrue. that or you have a very funny definition of difficulty. on maddening you often have to exploit game mechanics you can be blissfully unaware of for the entirety of a hard playthrough, and do stuff like skirting around reinforcement triggers which almost feels like cheating

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Amppelix posted:

well that's just blatantly untrue. that or you have a very funny definition of difficulty. on maddening you often have to exploit game mechanics you can be blissfully unaware of for the entirety of a hard playthrough, and do stuff like skirting around reinforcement triggers which almost feels like cheating

Yeah when I played on hard I didn't use weapon arts or battalion gambits much at all but definitely relied on them in maddening.

I really hate the same turn reinforcements because that is just annoying. I'm not going to remember the reinforcement triggers from prior playthroughs, and I'm not going to use a guide, so it's just a divine pulse tax. Just give me fewer divine pulses instead and stop wasting my time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s wild because even freaking Fates got rid of same turn Lunatic reinforcements, and Conquest Lunatic is probably some sadistic horseshit even without tampering with enemy stats compared to Hard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Last Celebration posted:

It’s wild because even freaking Fates got rid of same turn Lunatic reinforcements, and Conquest Lunatic is probably some sadistic horseshit even without tampering with enemy stats compared to Hard.

I'm fairly sure they did that because with Ninjas and all the skills Fates had it would be effectively impossible if the enemy was getting first strike on you with its reinforcements. A lot of the Conquest ones are stupid

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Conquest also didn't have Divine Pulse. Conquest is very methodical, you're supposed to be able to check enemy skills constantly, while I think 3 Houses is really just meant to be a game where you can and do take risks and play looser even when you're generally not as much.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

The trick to early maddening is learning to pull enemies one (or as few as possible) at a time. Use the right trigger to see what the enemies' range is. Put a single tank out to draw one or two enemies, and gang rush them the next turn.

Maddening isn't any more "difficult" than hard, it just requires more patience.

I appreciate the advice but it's really funny that you're suggesting after 250 hours in this game I don't know the esoteric tactics of "view the enemies' range" and "draw aggro one by one". :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I appreciate the advice but it's really funny that you're suggesting after 250 hours in this game I don't know the esoteric tactics of "view the enemies' range" and "draw aggro one by one". :v:

I also don't even really understand this advice because by endgame on Hard Crimson Flowers there were a number of units that could ORKO most/all of my army. I'm not sure what good luring out Cyril :argh: would even do since he could literally murder everyone with his Brave Axe and had Wyvern movement range.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
They did say early maddening. By late game you gradually have more tools in your kit to get around situations like the resident Rhea Stan On a Dragon. Beating Maddening involves getting over that early hurdle more than most things.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Any good tips for Conand Tower on maddening, since we're on the subject? I get Gilbert killed by the early reinforcements so he doesn't aggro the entire top platform, I killed the lone mage without activating the Physic rear end in a top hat, but the second set of reinforcements is position-based, so I can't find a way to avoid triggering the reinforcements and the next wave of enemies on the same turn, which leads to more attacks than I can tank. (It's new game maddening, Golden Deer.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

I also don't even really understand this advice because by endgame on Hard Crimson Flowers there were a number of units that could ORKO most/all of my army. I'm not sure what good luring out Cyril :argh: would even do since he could literally murder everyone with his Brave Axe and had Wyvern movement range.

There's a battalion whose gambit makes all targeted allies take at most 1 damage from all attacks for the next turn.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's also dancer Ferdinand with a sword.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

yes but Ferdinand is a horse girl and as such not putting him on a horse is playing the game wrong. :colbert:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Amppelix posted:

man why do I always forget to plan for who my dancer is

and then when it comes time for it i'm too attached to all the dumb builds i've come up with to toss any of them into the dancer blender

The trick here is to turn dancer itself into a dumb build.

What I'm saying is: use dancer Ingrid and have her learn All The Things.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Okay but anyone who hasn't used dancer Ferdinand before really should at least once because stacking up all that dodge on him is great fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

yes but Ferdinand is a horse girl and as such not putting him on a horse is playing the game wrong. :colbert:

Wyverns are a kind of horse. Sort of. Because goddamn does Ferdie love Alert Stance.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Eimi posted:

Ferdie just wants to be better than Edelgard. How good of a dancer does Edelgard make? Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Genovera posted:

Okay but anyone who hasn't used dancer Ferdinand before really should at least once because stacking up all that dodge on him is great fun.

For real, it was one of the highlights of my hard BE run.