Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a website where you can search for ships on a per-part basis and now I don't have to fly around for 100 hours and am 105 million kopeks lighter.
https://nmsce.com

that site is great but also don't forget to check out the nmsce reddit

it's not as nice to use as the site but if you figure out the name of the part you're looking for you can do keyword searches and get a lot more results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a website where you can search for ships on a per-part basis and now I don't have to fly around for 100 hours and am 105 million kopeks lighter.
https://nmsce.com

I followed one for a living ship and there was an explorer there.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Esoteric question. I'm on galaxy 7, whatever that one is called. If I teleport to an old base in the Euclid galaxy, then jump to another system there, am I still in the Euclid galaxy, or does it take on the properties of my current galaxy? Can I use my bases to jump between galaxies?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I went on a nexus mission to kill some carnivorous plants. On a lark, I decided to use my grenade launcher for once. It clipped a blade of grass in front of me and I died instantly.

I'm playing on normal, so when I saw that my inventory was wiped anyway I rage quit to desktop. Then I remembered that on normal, you drop a gravestone with your inventory.

Then I remembered that a nexus mission doesn't save your position. Only your inventory status.

:negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Boy it sure takes a while to build a series of tubes across a kilometer of rough terrain while a volcano is barfing walls of fire at you every couple of minutes. But I have the C site working now (it was right next to power so I did it first), delivering 14750 activated iridium a day to my doorstep. It should increase by a lot when I rig up the A site, but first I have to run power up another kilometer of active volcano and then run pipes back down...

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

How wide is the volcano? Pipes and wires can go through terrain.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's a full sized mountain. I was hoping to tunnel out a base under it, but unfortunately the granite layer is right under the surface most of the way up.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

metasynthetic posted:

I went on a nexus mission to kill some carnivorous plants. On a lark, I decided to use my grenade launcher for once. It clipped a blade of grass in front of me and I died instantly.

I'm playing on normal, so when I saw that my inventory was wiped anyway I rage quit to desktop. Then I remembered that on normal, you drop a gravestone with your inventory.

Then I remembered that a nexus mission doesn't save your position. Only your inventory status.

:negative:

if it's any help, the anomaly really seems to "like" sending you to the same locations if you're on the same quest in the same system-- I keep coming back to abandoned buildings with geology gun craters that I absolutely put there myself. (I also don't know if the game is nice enough to mark your grave at long distances, even on nexus missions when I inevitably gently caress up because I added another +50% damage range on my geo gun and forgot about it, it just drops me next to my ship again so I'm always like 2 feet from my own eradicated corpse)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bought an alien multitool in the space anomaly. Was the one for sale the same for everyone at that time or in my instance?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

I bought an alien multitool in the space anomaly. Was the one for sale the same for everyone at that time or in my instance?

Multitool generation is weird, its determined by whatever planet you were on last.
At least thats my knowledge of it.
So everyone looking at the same multitool station would see a different one.

So in a system you could, if you wanted, land on every planet and then back to the station to see a different one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Joe Mantis posted:

I think this patch they nerfed how many refineries you can have in a base, I'm only able to place 3 medium and 2 large

That's been there a long while by now. If you don't want to do glitch building, you can also make several rooms with large refiners far enough apart the restriction doesn't hit and then join them with short-range teleporters.

Nyyen posted:

Esoteric question. I'm on galaxy 7, whatever that one is called. If I teleport to an old base in the Euclid galaxy, then jump to another system there, am I still in the Euclid galaxy, or does it take on the properties of my current galaxy? Can I use my bases to jump between galaxies?

If I understand you correctly, the answers are: 1. Yes, you are still in Euclid if you jump around between places in Euclid. The same is for Budullangr (galaxy 7) or every other galaxy. You can see this because every time you jump to another system, the name of your current galaxy is displayed next to the system name. Also there are differences in color and planet biome spawn chances, but that's not as easy to see immediately. 2. Yes, you can. Most of my bases are in Euclid and some in Budullangr and every time I have to do a collection run between my various farms and extractors, I basically hop back and forth between the two.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, some of the new storm types are interesting and highly dangerous! I was on a desert planet and a horrible sand storm happened, reducing my visibility to zero, but also a tornado picked me up and flung me to the next continent. Another time a lightning strike disabled my shields. Yowza.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if it's any help, the anomaly really seems to "like" sending you to the same locations if you're on the same quest in the same system-- I keep coming back to abandoned buildings with geology gun craters that I absolutely put there myself. (I also don't know if the game is nice enough to mark your grave at long distances, even on nexus missions when I inevitably gently caress up because I added another +50% damage range on my geo gun and forgot about it, it just drops me next to my ship again so I'm always like 2 feet from my own eradicated corpse)

It definitely does not mark your grave if you've left the session for a few hours, I can confirm.

Decided to fire up the game again to decide if I even wanted to continue playing this save at all. In the same system where I hosed up got hosed over, I saw this:

This is the only exotic I've encountered since launch, maybe 200 hours of playtime. quite the peace offering, yes

but its ugly

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

metasynthetic posted:

It definitely does not mark your grave if you've left the session for a few hours, I can confirm.

Decided to fire up the game again to decide if I even wanted to continue playing this save at all. In the same system where I hosed up got hosed over, I saw this:

This is the only exotic I've encountered since launch, maybe 200 hours of playtime. quite the peace offering, yes

but its ugly

Heh, same here. Been playing this game since launch, never saw an exotic until yesterday evening when I saw this one. I was still using the starter ship so I bought it for a mere 5 mil.
It's nice compared to what I had, but it lands so slow? The first time I landed it actually got stuck in the landing animation and I had to reload an earlier autosave. Good thing I forced an autosave by getting in and out of the ship after I bought it or I would've lost it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This multitool was for sale in the first system I jumped to from my start system:

A rank, 24 slots

And a few days ago I found this in another system right next to my start:

20 slots, 6 tech slots

I guess since there's an equal chance of anything being found anywhere you can just luck out like that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Where was I last time?

Ah yes, it's Tower Time.

Merry Nadhor's Dumb Adventures in Tower Land, Part II

The foundation is finished. Let's get dangerous.

Putting down the ladders from the inside is a bit more complicated than just hitting the build camera, but it allows for nice vista pics through the glass windows.

Then I remembered I still had the upper part of Red Ocean Tower left unfinished, and in embarrassment I raced back, put up some more levels until it looked like an actual tower and then used some glass to turn the uppermost level into a nice observation deck.

There's of course the obligatory teleporter at the bottom, in case you don't feel like playing NMS Climber.

Problem: Not enough glass for observation deck, you don't feel like harvesting plants or shooting the ground a lot.
Solution: Alchemize tons of frost crystals out of standard materials you have lying around, alchemize the crystals into glass. Done!

Aaaand finished!

Red Ocean Tower: Completed. Time to go back to that other monstrosity!

By the way, I also did tons of space alchemy to fill up on pure ferrite for building, while I was here. I also contemplated adding some more rooms with refiners and teleporters for more crafting, but decided I'm good for now.

Desolation Tower, ground level. Every visitor will end up here. Hopefully they don't decide to ignore the exit and go the other way! That would be painful. (Though eventually they of course would stumble over one of the other teleporters, so it's not that bad. It's not actively malicious.)

Of course sometimes my base deposits you at the base computer, over 300 units away. Luckily I foresaw that happening and made sure two short-range teleporters are right next to the computer, so visitors with bad luck are just one weird teleporting adventure from reaching the tower.

My first few levels and an ad-hoc "construction" teleporter to help me continue building ladders without having to climb all of them manually. Later this one will get erased for the first "real" tower teleporter.

Something I learned the hard way: Check if your build-menu is working before getting to the top. It saves time if it bugs out.

(And I later then also learned that the latest patch didn't actually solve this issue, it's just that if I teleport in, the building menu doesn't work, ever. I have to save locally, close the game, and reload if I want to continue building. It's kind of annoying. I guess the devs didn't expect us to create a 600+ units long highway and then add a tower at 300+ units above the ground. At this point I can't make screenshots of the entire base because it's too long. It just won't let me. And oh boy, that will only get worse.)

Anyway, construction continues.

And continues.

The uppermost level is now at the same height as the second peak with its cloud of metallic (or is it mineraloid?) butterflies.

And then we're above! Time for a real teleporter. The haphazard construction pair is deleted, and a nice cozy hall for multiple teleporters is taking its place. Some climbing, building and connecting later, it is done.

The hallway. Right now, at the time of this update, the right teleporter brings you up to approx. 1/3rd height. Though I stopped counting after that point, and could be way off. I got kind of in this mental fugue state of adding levels, climbing, ladder building and occasionally saving my progress and now that loving thing is too tall for easy counting.

Originally, I wanted to have four teleporters here, all to different parts of the tower. But after I added the second teleporter, I realized that I was getting close to the range limit just from sheer height and I didn't want to risk to spend a lot of time trying to connect a new pair only to learn the distance was too large. Instead, after the second teleporter up to approx. 2/3rd height, I switched to purely internal teleporters. If you don't miss them on the way up, it still makes getting to the top easy. Uh, just don't walk past them, OK?

Good progress, but space is still far away. In this shot you can see the little oxygen extraction station that I've started with, the tiny teleporter hut connecting it downwards and the +-shaped building with the base computer. From above and discounting all the difference in height, my base is roughly shaped like the letter d, with the curved part left open because I don't plan to add a second stairway going down the other side of the tower.

At this point my power grid conked out and I had to get in on this. The highway gets a solar panel addition.

And then there is... Wait a minute, no ladders??? (This is the part where hilariously, entering the second half of the ground level glitches you up like 20+ levels. At the time, I hadn't build ladders there yet, so I now was trapped.)

At least the view from up here is nice.

And then I was like "Eh, why not, I'm already here" and climbed upwards, putting down ladders as I went. Also, I was too stupid to remember that I could have just put down a door or delete the part I was standing in, and I would have been free instantly.

The setting sun from Desolation Tower.

When the ladder count went below 20, I started to fear I would be trapped in the tower forever. It's silly of course, and I had a good laugh when I realized this later. :v:

Finally out! Another part of the tower is completed.

This was what I wanted to show you earlier: The generator-room at the bottom of Desolation Tower. I can't move in closer or the tower will glitch me upwards again. If this works for visitors too, I'm imagining that will be super-confusing.

After this little side quest, I added some internal solar panels here and there. It looks dumb, but apparently they can suck down light from inside a building?

Well, my solar-powered calculator works inside of buildings too, so I decide it's legit.

Grid power is positive again, everything is on-line! (Including in the future my teleporter-network, because short-range teleporters need juice too, but the devs forgot to program them to not work without power. But if that is ever fixed, the network going down at inopportune moments could end up hilariously bad for someone who has now to climb 50+ ladders because as a visitor, they're not allowed to just demolish parts of the base.)

And, ENERGY! Back to construction. (Also, Desolation Tower is on Mihey Alpha Prime, if you want to beam yourself over for a visit.)

Part I

Next:
Clouded Mind

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 2, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm guessing it's just bad luck that the last 3 systems I've jumped to are all extreme planets? My first couple systems were pretty varied, but I'd like to not be continually feeding my hazard protection to stay alive for more than a couple minutes.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I haven't played in about 2 years and can't remember jack/everything has changed.

Tech slots in ships/backpack - are those just extra slots just for tech? Does tech in my regular backpack/ ship inventory work? Are there still bonuses for stuff being next to eachother?

Can I roll my ship with the keyboard?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Sipher posted:

I haven't played in about 2 years and can't remember jack/everything has changed.

Tech slots in ships/backpack - are those just extra slots just for tech? Does tech in my regular backpack/ ship inventory work? Are there still bonuses for stuff being next to eachother?
Yes to all!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm guessing it's just bad luck that the last 3 systems I've jumped to are all extreme planets? My first couple systems were pretty varied, but I'd like to not be continually feeding my hazard protection to stay alive for more than a couple minutes.

:xcom:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The other day I found a free base computer on a paradise planet in a grassy green valley with a view of the (red) sea. I started to set up a vacation home, but then today discovered that the valley is now a hillside and all of my stuff is below the terrain. Luckily it wasn't too far below ground so after a shitload of tunneling my beautiful vacation home is now a dank underground warren/lair.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Sipher posted:

Can I roll my ship with the keyboard?

Not only are the tech slots for tech, you can double dip on the good stuff. There's a limit of 3 procedural upgrades before it does that "overload" thing, but this only applies to each individual inventory. So you can have three, say, jetpack upgrades in your general inventory and three in your tech inventory (in addition to the installed upgrades that you have to build) and basically be able to fly. This is also good for stuff like shield upgrades, allowing you to facetank sentinels. Also hazard protection elemental shields, though that's not really worth doubling up on considering how long the S classes last and how cheap they are to recharge. Same goes for ship (and freighter) stuff, if you want absurd Hyperdrive range or whatever.

Ship rolling works, yeah. If you're WASD it should be A and S by default.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's done, and now this dumb base will generate 37,750 activated iridium in about half a day. Not quite space billions, but that should tide me over for a while and capacity can easily be expanded later.

e: on the other hand trying to figure out how to make doors work on proximity like they used to before power management is dumb. Holo doors for lyfe.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 2, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I found this one, also right next to my starting system. I guess it pays to just check everything. I mean it wouldn't have helped me when I started and had no money but it's cool that it would have been so close at hand if I had checked earlier.

Sipher posted:

Take a look at the screenshots I posted in my last post for reference; the adjacent upgrades of the same type have coloured borders to show that they're getting bonuses. In each (non-cargo) inventory type you can have up to 3 upgrades of the installable type (the kinds you find or buy for nanites from dealers), plus any number of craftable upgrades.

For ships and multitools this means only 3 installable upgrades total, but because it's per inventory you can install three in your tech slots and three in your general slots.

edit: I forgot that ships have tech slots

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 2, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

I found this one, also right next to my starting system. I guess it pays to just check everything. I mean it wouldn't have helped me when I started and had no money but it's cool that it would have been so close at hand if I had checked earlier.

Thats nuts - I've played for 300 hours and only ever encountered one in the wild. Also, I did not know that these came in anything other than S Class. Good thing they made Multi-tools upgradable!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Try rearranging your upgrades also.
The order they are in can change the total.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Thundarr posted:

e: on the other hand trying to figure out how to make doors work on proximity like they used to before power management is dumb. Holo doors for lyfe.
It's way dumber than it ought to be and makes no intuitive sense if you ask me.

Inverter Switch has three power nodes. A red, a green, and a middle. Which one is red and which one is green might change based on you connecting things, so uh, just try to remember which side they're on before you start. I align mine so red is on my left just out of habit to avoid confusing myself halfway through.

Anyway, connect red node to one of the door's power nodes.

Connect green node to any power source that isn't the door.

Proximity Switch has two power nodes. Connect either one to a power source that isn't the door. Connect the other one to the Inverter Switch's middle node.

Done!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I'm on an extreme weather planet, with the weather listed as All Consuming Cold.

However, the surface is being constantly pelted with super-heated rain, which balances it out? So I can stroll around outside, and it's a pleasant 35C.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Thanks for all the tips. I popped up my old save so I have some good upgrades, giant S class freighter but nothing really built out or filled in.

Last time I went into the space anomaly it was just a single room thing. :stare:

I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I need to build a base at this point to get exocraft and an income going. I have ~30mil but that appears to be... less than it used to be.

What's the best way to get nanites?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Sipher posted:

What's the best way to get nanites?

The 2 best methods are buying ships and scrapping them, then selling the mods for nanites. But in this latest patch you can pay pugneum at the scrap dealer for black market mods and then sell them back. I buy the module and the 3 tech bags from them.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm on an extreme weather planet, with the weather listed as All Consuming Cold.

However, the surface is being constantly pelted with super-heated rain, which balances it out? So I can stroll around outside, and it's a pleasant 35C.

That owns

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is there no longer any functionality for uploading all of your discoveries and getting a bunch of nanites for them? Or am I just having trouble with a UI redesign?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BattleMaster posted:

Is there no longer any functionality for uploading all of your discoveries and getting a bunch of nanites for them? Or am I just having trouble with a UI redesign?

They move the bulk upload arrow to the top. I had trouble finding it this morning.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Snack Bitch posted:

They move the bulk upload arrow to the top. I had trouble finding it this morning.

Thanks! I somehow didn't even notice it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Mountains are such a game changer, picked this up after 3 years and just, wow

It's so good now

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Can I get deuterium from a source other than refining Tritium and di-hydrogen?

Every time I try to the refiner just eats my finished product and all ingredients. I’ll access it while running or as soon as it’s done or wait a bit after it’s done and everything is there for a split second before it goes empty.

It does this every time but only when making deuterium.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Hyperactive posted:

Can I get deuterium from a source other than refining Tritium and di-hydrogen?

Every time I try to the refiner just eats my finished product and all ingredients. I’ll access it while running or as soon as it’s done or wait a bit after it’s done and everything is there for a split second before it goes empty.

It does this every time but only when making deuterium.

I had to make some Deuterium yesterday and it worked fine.

But you can buy it some places or refine it, thats pretty much it.
Maybe try validating files?
That seems to have fixed some weird glitches I was having.

e:Speak of the devil, just got back to my base and millions of credits of refined stuff gone out of 5 refineries.
Figured I'd go do some quicksilver missions while they were cooking, but this is the second time its happened the past few days, thought the validating fixed it.
Guess not.
My concoction was chlorine though.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 3, 2020

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I jumped Galaxy once, after finishing the Atlas chain (cos I wanted to see where Black Holes were) so I'm in Eissentam.

1. I don't think I've seen anything resembling new geometry there, which is upsetting so far.
2. Can Black Holes ever spawn in Red/Green/Blue star systems? I don't think so, I've been looking for a long time.
3. Black Holes never seem to move you meaninfully closer to galaxy centre - What's the easiest way to get there now?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Snack Bitch posted:

note that this still doesn't get you the "discovered all animals" credit if you're going for that, gotta do that manually by planet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Muscle Tracer posted:

note that this still doesn't get you the "discovered all animals" credit if you're going for that, gotta do that manually by planet :v:

Oh wow, I didn’t realize that. Got 4.6k from my upload today so I figured they were included.