Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah I did a lot of fishing for specific builds early on, but lately what I've been enjoying a lot is

- pom blossom
- take whatever weapon gets the bonus this time
- use dark foresight, god's pride, fated persuasion
- take whatever purple boons I get
- reroll once if no purples

basically just go with the flow and end up with a large number of high level purple boons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fellatio del Toro posted:

yeah I did a lot of fishing for specific builds early on, but lately what I've been enjoying a lot is

- pom blossom

basically just go with the flow and end up with a large number of high level purple boons

Yup, I've been doing a similar thing, and it's made me become a fast all rounder since I always take Tight Deadline level 2 at least. Oh no synergy with Boons? Then I'll just go a bit slower (hence TD 2 and not 3) and still make it through. I've also imposed a "Must pick Fated option" rule to round out the Prophecies I have left, and only just finished the Boons list.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ciaphas posted:

odds're lower in Hades for sure. but I've definitely had runs that made me wish for a "seriously, suicide this run and give me a new one, why is "Give Up" a reset" button by the time I reach Asphodel

maybe it's not in the game design ethos to allow that, or something, but it makes me cross

I wanted to suicide a run recently. First time w/ Zeus shield and I felt so gimped. I still got to Hades on my last life and didn't last long. Was shocked I made it that far. At one point I took a chaos boon that didn't let me attack. Those next 4 rooms were so so slow.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Yeah, I feel if I use the god keepsakes I always fall into the same build. I've won my last ten runs while increasing heat just doing the darkness weapon + keepsake for synergy.

I still need to level some keepsakes but when that's done I'm going strictly darkness bonus + pom. I've been playing a lot and don't want to burn out. I kind of wish they choose a random aspect of the darkness weapon to give even more thirst to switch things up more.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

- pom blossom

:agreed:
Pom blossom is really powerful because it roughly gives +25% chamber rewards during the run, and ~1.25 extra rewards per sack hunt in Styx.
Except it also ticks during meta-progression rooms and boss rooms, which don't really boost the current run (even after upgrades).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What's the best Greater Call voice line and why is it Dionysus's "Drink up, mate!"?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Someone in this thread introduced me to the strategy of picking god trinkets after Tartarus to basically seal in whatever god you want, which I like since I've been burned before.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

What's the best Greater Call voice line and why is it Dionysus's "Drink up, mate!"?

If you use Hades Greater Call while fighting Hades, he will respond to Zagreus shouting "Father!" with "Son!".

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Artelier posted:

Yup, I've been doing a similar thing, and it's made me become a fast all rounder since I always take Tight Deadline level 2 at least. Oh no synergy with Boons? Then I'll just go a bit slower (hence TD 2 and not 3) and still make it through. I've also imposed a "Must pick Fated option" rule to round out the Prophecies I have left, and only just finished the Boons list.

I do this too! Also the fated prophecy where you beat each Pact of Punishment at least once was a nice way to add variety

If I actually picked the same weapon/boon combo every run I’d probably not be playing this game as much as I have

Benagain posted:

Someone in this thread introduced me to the strategy of picking god trinkets after Tartarus to basically seal in whatever god you want, which I like since I've been burned before.

I always do Family over Privileged mirror buffs and will sometimes just run the trinket of a god I don’t have yet for another 5% on top of whatever else, especially if I can get something like Artemis which is a good standalone passive buff with anything

They lock in the number of gods you can get in a run otherwise right? Definitely feels like it

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had a fun run where I used the Rama bow and got an early hammer that increased special projectiles and Dionysus hangover on special. I could use the bow like a shotgun and apply maximum hangover stacks in one hit. I managed to beat Charon with this without it hampering my run. You have two wins and two losses against him now, unfortunately not consecutive wins for the Hermès quest.

Later, I also got the duo Dionysus buffs with Artemis and Aphrodite for increased crit against hungover enemies and increased hangover stacks against weak enemies. The only problem is I had to use dash to apply weak, which was less than ideal for the bow.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They lock in the number of gods you can get in a run otherwise right? Definitely feels like it

When you have boons from 4 different gods (Hermes and Chaos not included as usual), no more gods can naturally spawn.
This means you can have at most 6 gods by Elysium's end: find 4 in Tartarus, force a fifth and a sixth in Asphodel and Elysium.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

When exactly does Artemis's critical hit damage boost come in the damage calculation order? Before or after all your other damage boosts?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Omobono posted:

When you have boons from 4 different gods (Hermes and Chaos not included as usual), no more gods can naturally spawn.
This means you can have at most 6 gods by Elysium's end: find 4 in Tartarus, force a fifth and a sixth in Asphodel and Elysium.

I didn’t realize Hermès and Chaos count too! Does Charon’s card count as another god?

SKULL.GIF posted:

When exactly does Artemis's critical hit damage boost come in the damage calculation order? Before or after all your other damage boosts?

At the very end which is why it can be great

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hermes and Chaos never count.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SKULL.GIF posted:

Google it on the wiki, but basically it's (Base damage) * (ALL percentile boosts) * (crit [3x or more]).

So a few odd behaviors crop up:
-Basically all of those weird global boosts get eclipsed by the weapons various +150% stuff. Atremeis dash for +100%? Chaos attack for +100%? Aphrodite on attack for +200%? Yea that global 15% from Ares ain't doing squat.
-->Global boosts such as privileged position are more much noticeable when boosting casts or other flat-damage stuff like Doom.
-A lovely common-rarity Atremis crit boon will totally outperform other boons, if you have other % things buffing that particular attack or special. See above example.
-Base damage is king, and the odd deadalus hammer that changes that is way better than it looks.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hades spear combined with the Hammer upgrade to spin radius can clear the screen of trash mobs in one swing, it's great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shortly after unlocking Aspect of Rama and seeing its glory (triple-shot plus point-blank = divine shotgun :getin:), I unlocked my last hidden aspect, Lucifer.

It's... not very good, is it? At least it looks great I suppose.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If I'm running a fast weapon like fists or rail, I rarely regret taking Artemis' global crit boon, even (or especially) if I already have another god on my attack/special. Follow it up later in the run with mark on crit and you're off to the races.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ciaphas posted:

Shortly after unlocking Aspect of Rama and seeing its glory (triple-shot plus point-blank = divine shotgun :getin:), I unlocked my last hidden aspect, Lucifer.

Think of the special as a land mine. Any attack can blow it up, not just yours. It's a good anti-ranged or area denial tool.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The beam has some lock-on, letting you dash and fire at the same time. Can't go too far, but you can circle a bit around guys while hurting them.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The automatic lock-on is great except when you took the Triple Fire upgrade and try to hit two enemies with the left and right beams with it but can't because the game is being too helpful

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The piercing upgrade for the Lucifer rail makes setting up orb explosions much easier since you’re not having to chose between targeting an enemy or the orb.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

guess I'll try it again then, but like... Hestia is right there, y'know? :v:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Any suggestions for someone to spend their first few titan's blood on? Still working on getting the end boss down for my first complete run.

Also, is there a list of build suggestions?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The first level in Poseidon sword or Hera bow can be fun, or spend 5 blood on maxing out the Zagreus asect on the fists.
The Zag aspects all take 5 blood to max out but the others are 15 or 16, so I wouldn't recommend maxing any of those first.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gariig posted:

Any suggestions for someone to spend their first few titan's blood on? Still working on getting the end boss down for my first complete run.

Also, is there a list of build suggestions?

Put your first five in Zag Sword.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Waltzing Along posted:

Put your first five in Zag Sword.

It's this. Also give Skelly nectar and talk to him every chance you get. An early summon is a huge swing in power.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Aphrodite's, "You're gonna love this." is delightfully bitchy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Aphrodite's Aid the best one? The others all seem to be hard to control. Hers is just summon = 2500 boom and done. And on stage 3 boss they beat on each other for a while, as a bonus.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Aphrodite's Aid the best one? The others all seem to be hard to control. Hers is just summon = 2500 boom and done. And on stage 3 boss they beat on each other for a while, as a bonus.

Athena's and Ares's are both pretty solid, since Athena's invulnerability can last forever and let you just wail on Hades, and Ares's also gives you invulnerability for a solid chunk even if it does less damage than you probably would.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waltzing Along posted:

Artemis also just lops off half a boss's health bar on use. Ares isn't too hard to use either, you just kinda stand on top of the boss until it runs out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've found Dionysus' call to be the best one for bosses, just don't wait for the Greater call, use the small calls as they become available.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The only one I would just say is not great is Ares. Also, you need to consider Partial calls as well. A reliable damage dealer to clear some annoying mobs or finish minibosses faster can make quite the difference. Auto-refill of gauze, even if capped at 25% can give you an extremely potent action every few seconds with little effort, even if you are just hiding/dodging.
Athena and Poseidon are the most abusable, Demeter is good for the chill and damage, Zeus and Dionysus are nice reliable damage and Aphrodite has massive damage at full, but while charm is a strong eff, single target kinda hurts. Similar for Artemis, can be huge damage, but single projectile makes makes it not that great outside of bosses

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aphrodite and Artemis nuke bosses at max, but Aphrodite can also be used to stunlock dad.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm all for terrifying grandma

"no shelter from the bitter cold"
"a wasteland devoid of life"
"I will take away everything"

she's loving pissed

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ciaphas posted:

The beam is very very strong. Especially with the hammer upgrades that scale damage faster & make it shoot faster. It works particularly well with Dinosysys & Zeus.

One of my fastest runs featured Lucifer with both of those hammer upgrades and a ton of hangover boons and Demeter's crystal cast. I melted Hades in about a minute.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can you still stand inside Hades to dodge his beams? I failed to defeat him in my first 1.0 game because I kept getting hit every time I tried and he just kept using beams nonstop once he reached P2.

It was a shame because I was using Lucifer with the most perfect Zeus/Poseidon build imaginable, including both their legendaries, Hermes legendary, and the duo. I could fully clear Tartarus by closing my eyes and mashing the cast button.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Sindai posted:

Can you still stand inside Hades to dodge his beams? I failed to defeat him in my first 1.0 game because I kept getting hit every time I tried and he just kept using beams nonstop once he reached P2.

It was a shame because I was using Lucifer with the most perfect Zeus/Poseidon build imaginable, including both their legendaries, Hermes legendary, and the duo. I could fully clear Tartarus by closing my eyes and mashing the cast button.

Afaik you can. But you have to be nose to, I think Zag comes up to Hades' chest.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That sounds like the sort of thing that I would definitely patch out before release if I were an early access dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
For some reason this game isn't on ps4 or xbox one (but on the switch?) but let me discover that my laptop is good enough to play some basic games on steam, also that i can sync a ps4 controller so it feels natural. This game is alot of fun, reminds me of Dead Cells. I havent beaten Dad yet, i've only reached him once so far, died on the second phase. I've been trying out the different weapons, unlocked a couple aspects (crystal in arrow and sword dislodge ones Hera and Poseidon i think ). Also going to look for more games like this on steam that aren't on ps4.

The gods are alot of fun too, and how they are just as childish and petty as the gods. try to murder you because you choose their siblings gift over their own only to have a change of heart. Posidon even commented before that i was favoring zeus over other gods. (he has good boons!). One thing i don't like about this game are the god drat rats, espically those little ones, hard to notice them loving me up with so much poo poo going on, on the screen