Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Yeah I saw a really cute persona AI sword that was encouraging and gave +6 mood to the wielder by continually praising them telepathically. :3:

I like to think it just blasts jock jams into your head 24/7 and is like, super stoked yeah brah we're gonna kill so many people dude like woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you're good enough

you're smart enough

and doggone it

people like you

- ur sword, 2020-197776

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
One of my pawns was using the "viewing art" recreation type on my array of sculptures in my throne room and it seemed like his recreation was shooting up really rapidly.

Does higher quality art (or art with proximity to other art) increase this? I can't see anything about it in any of the stats (eg art doesn't have a "recreation efficiency" like pool tables).

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Viewing art is Solitary Recreation so it shares tolerance building with going for a walk and prayer. But the sculpture quality also affects the recreation speed, so really great art is arguably OP. Then again if you can dedicate time to farm grands, things are already ahead of the curve, eh?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

One of my pawns was using the "viewing art" recreation type on my array of sculptures in my throne room and it seemed like his recreation was shooting up really rapidly.

Does higher quality art (or art with proximity to other art) increase this? I can't see anything about it in any of the stats (eg art doesn't have a "recreation efficiency" like pool tables).

I think that viewing art is like meditation, and items of the same meditation type can all be used simultaneously within a certain radius that's shown as green when you're placing it.

Higher quality art also effects recreation gain

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
A thing I just noticed is that meteorites turn the ground underneath them into the rough-hewn stone type they're made out of. So I guess if you play a map seed for a billion years, there's a theoretical chance that all the useable soil will eventually get turned into stone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

For the first time I've decided to try betraying a group of refugees because a really good reward was offered, but I can't figure out how to actually do it. If I manually try to kill any of them the entire quest fails, including the betrayal option. I tried letting some die in a raid and the same thing happened.

Unrelated, if you have a person with "frail" and "bad back" and "psychite addiction" simultaneously then they literally cannot walk unless they snort cocaine lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

moot the hopple posted:

A thing I just noticed is that meteorites turn the ground underneath them into the rough-hewn stone type they're made out of. So I guess if you play a map seed for a billion years, there's a theoretical chance that all the useable soil will eventually get turned into stone.
Waiting for "rich soil" meteor event

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I've somehow put myself in the mood for a western themed colony. Then I realized it really should be built in arid shrubland and out of wood, but arid shrubland has very little wood. :(

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

I've somehow put myself in the mood for a western themed colony. Then I realized it really should be built in arid shrubland and out of wood, but arid shrubland has very little wood. :(

Ceramics mod so you can make stuff out of mud bricks. Pretty thematic I think.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So uh, my chemical processing unit (his name's Joaquin :kimchi: ) shat out a bunch of chemical capsules I can allegedly turn into neutramine. What machine/tech do I need for that process?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think you just do it at a biofuel refinery? It's not really obvious though unless you needed to build one and checked the job list.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think neutroamine might be done at the drug lab, but yes possibly the biofuel refinery.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tias posted:

So uh, my chemical processing unit (his name's Joaquin :kimchi: ) shat out a bunch of chemical capsules I can allegedly turn into neutramine. What machine/tech do I need for that process?

.... what? I've put over 800 hours into this game, and I had no idea you could craft neutroamine. I thought you could only buy it from traders.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its at the biofuel refinery, but it might be that you process the chemical capsules into something else at the refinery before bieng processed into neutramine at the drug lab.

E: its from a mod, Andriod tiers. In vanilla you can only get it via trade or quest reward, possibly cargo drop pods.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Guildencrantz posted:

Long term approach is to grow cacti yourself. If it isn't base game than modded for sure. My current is arid shrubland and a 12x12 is as good as scouring the entire map once a season.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note that if need be wood is pretty cheap and available from basically every faction. Hardest part is hauling it all, but presumably a cowboy base will have plenty of horses and donkeys on hand.

Could also make stuff out of stone then god mode it to wood instead. Cheating? Technically I guess, but wood is worse than stone in every respect as a wall/floor material so hey, whatever. :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's from androids - and yeah, you can get it in drop pods in vanilla.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

ughhhh posted:

Ceramics mod so you can make stuff out of mud bricks. Pretty thematic I think.

I've looked at the mod, it's a nice idea but jeez it's labor intensive and not great looking.

I think what I'll do is the thing with planting cacti, I'll just add a sizable starting wood supply and tree sowing as a starting tech (why not, I'm cheating to gimp myself), maybe using caravans to supplement that.

It's all super inefficient, but on the other hand gently caress it, space cowboys are rad as hell and I'm bored with optimizing, time to build something pretty. Lowered threat growth, halved research speed and a nice chill game building a frontier town :clint:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
SOS2 question:

Whats the deal with the derlict station start? It's fairly easy to manage because items spawn in set locations and you can just use the pods once you find them to scout. I normally go with the startrek looking ship and have basically gotten it a bridge and enough capacitors (i think) but I don't know how to actually leave the station/map, which sucks because you can't really move the ship around.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Is there a way to limit the tech tree for the world arbitrarily? I really want to play multi year medieval playthrough but spacemen with laser mortars and mechanical death bugs keep showing up to ruin ::muh immersion::

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LordAdakos posted:

Is there a way to limit the tech tree for the world arbitrarily? I really want to play multi year medieval playthrough but spacemen with laser mortars and mechanical death bugs keep showing up to ruin ::muh immersion::

Medieval - Vanilla

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I'll give it a shot, thanks!!

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Started a new game with the Vikings mod. The Settlement I raided had an opened Ancient Structure as part of it with 2 cryo-caskets, a Persona Plasma sword that gave mood boosts for killing people, and a Medical tech trainer. Thanks game!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, raiding? How does that work? Is that a new mechanics introduced in the Vikings mod, or just attacking a settlement, grabbing some stuff when guards aren't looking and then hightailing out of there with minimal fighting? And if it's the latter how viable it is? I never really tried attacking hostile settlements for any reason other than clearing them off the map...

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, raiding? How does that work? Is that a new mechanics introduced in the Vikings mod, or just attacking a settlement, grabbing some stuff when guards aren't looking and then hightailing out of there with minimal fighting? And if it's the latter how viable it is? I never really tried attacking hostile settlements for any reason other than clearing them off the map...

Send a caravan to any settlement. If they're friendly/neutral you can trade, or if they're hostile you can give them poo poo via "offer tribute" to increase faction rep. Either way you can also just attack them from the worldmap and it generates an encounter.

e: to clarify, there is loot you can steal during the encounter if your goal is to raid for stuff, or if you kill/down 50% of the defenders the base is "destroyed". Generally there's no downside to killing off pirates or savage tribes since you can never befriend them and they're always at war with everyone anyway. But if you just grab some stuff and leave without destroying the base (having one pawn lure everyone away, and being able to teleport/jump both really help) then you can raid the same base again and it'll generate a new map.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 2, 2020

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
The start using the Viking storyteller (Freya) is your gang vs. a village. You kill/run everybody off and take it for your own, or take what you want, burn the rest, and build elsewhere. Good poo poo.

You also get a hit to everybody's mood if you don't go on a raid every year using Freya as your storyteller. It's Randy plus that mechanic basically.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

silentsnack posted:

Send a caravan to any settlement. If they're friendly/neutral you can trade, or if they're hostile you can give them poo poo via "offer tribute" to increase faction rep. Either way you can also just attack them from the worldmap and it generates an encounter.

e: to clarify, there is loot you can steal during the encounter if your goal is to raid for stuff, or if you kill/down 50% of the defenders the base is "destroyed". Generally there's no downside to killing off pirates or savage tribes since you can never befriend them and they're always at war with everyone anyway. But if you just grab some stuff and leave without destroying the base (having one pawn lure everyone away, and being able to teleport/jump both really help) then you can raid the same base again and it'll generate a new map.

Yeah, I know about assaulting bases. But I usually considered it an end-game activity, where you take your power-armoured crack squad, massacre everything on the map and GTFO. It never occurred to me to attack a settlement just to go in there, steal some stuff and run. Which is why I am now wondering how viable doing something like that is in the early game, because it sounds like a fun way to get some extra resources early.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

silentsnack posted:

Generally there's no downside to killing off pirates or savage tribes since you can never befriend them and they're always at war with everyone anyway. But if you just grab some stuff and leave without destroying the base (having one pawn lure everyone away, and being able to teleport/jump both really help) then you can raid the same base again and it'll generate a new map.
I've been leery of wrecking the local pirate settlement because if they went away, who would raid me? And without raids how will I get prisoners to brainwash into joining me?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Don't worry, as long as the faction still has a base on the map somewhere they'll send folks to murder you!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I've been leery of wrecking the local pirate settlement because if they went away, who would raid me? And without raids how will I get prisoners to brainwash into joining me?

In that case, if you’re cool with mods then Hospitality allows you to go from only capturing pirates to recruiting guests.

You can even bait the outlander or tribal factions into attacking you again by forcefully recruiting a guest.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

If there are no other valid raiding factions on planet you'll get mechanoid raids.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Take prisoner, go to health->operation tab, apply anaesthetic
Select a pawn, right click prisoner -> carry to cryptosleep casket

Build a giant collection of frozen prisoners ready to be traded when the tribute collector arrives (you'll need to give them a couple hours after thawing for the anaesthetic to wear off though). No risk of prison breaks or waste of food/warden labor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HelloSailorSign posted:

In that case, if you’re cool with mods then Hospitality allows you to go from only capturing pirates to recruiting guests.

You can even bait the outlander or tribal factions into attacking you again by forcefully recruiting a guest.
Hospitality is an excellent mod and should be in the base game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The vanilla expanded mod series adds a bunch of cooking stations, right? Well look at this nonsense.

The deep fryer will accept its own output as input. So I'm pretty sure I've created the world's dumbest most efficient cooking trainer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DoubleNegative posted:

The vanilla expanded mod series adds a bunch of cooking stations, right? Well look at this nonsense.

The deep fryer will accept its own output as input. So I'm pretty sure I've created the world's dumbest most efficient cooking trainer.

1 Watt? That's straight up broken.

Tias
May 25, 2008

triple batter guinea pig meat and agave toast here I loving come :getin:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Facebook Aunt posted:

There's a mod that makes most workbenches not use power unless actively in use. I think it's called Turn It Off And On Again?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've got a mod installed that reduces power draw to 1W when the thing's not in use. The deep fryers use a lot more when actually frying stuff.

Although I did also realize too late that deep frying has no inherent skill gain attached. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That’s some straight up space station 13 poo poo

You take a bite out of the deep fried fried fried lightly fried deeply fried fried lightly fried fried bundt cake