Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Humerus posted:

Mariner quoting Shakespeare is a nod to ST6 as well, except she quotes The Tempest (I'm trusting the XO here) instead of whatever Chang quotes (Macbeth?).

"I am constant as the northern star!" and "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!" Julius Caesar

"To be or not to be?" Hamlet.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends!" Henry V

"Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us...shall we not revenge?" The Merchant of Venice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Humerus posted:

Mariner quoting Shakespeare is a nod to ST6 as well, except she quotes The Tempest (I'm trusting the XO here) instead of whatever Chang quotes (Macbeth?).

For a show that thinks name dropping Episode titles of other Star Trek shows is a joke, it was a bit of whiplash for the joke this time to be the characters not getting that it was a Chang reference.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zaroff posted:

How about we extend Lower Decks by 13 episodes and just cut Discovery?

Lets split the difference....we cut Discovery AND do a live action Lower Decks (the voice actors are almost one to one to the characters) episode or two a season.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Shaxs yelling about the Pai Wraiths was incredible.

When Mariner and Mariner were fighting on the bridge, and real Mariner had that pole in her hand, I was expecting someone to be impaled and have to pull themselves along the pole to give one last threat before the program ended.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

Yeah, I caught that, too. Well, I mean, they lampshaded it because most people probably wouldn't have noticed quote from Tempest.

Phylodox posted:

I mean...it’s largely considered to be one of the best, if not the best, Star Trek films. Taste is subjective, though, of course.

Ha. I must have missed the memo on that. For me, it's WoK, hands down.

I think part of the problem is that I started seeing the movies in the theater starting with Search for Spock, but because the two movies were released fairly close together, I sometimes mix up Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country. I can't think of two consecutive Trek movies with such a disparate level of quality; FF is so horribly awful that it muddies my memory of UC. It would probably also mess with my recollection of Voyage Home, but that movie has such a different setting that it's just not possible.

Now that I'm thinking about UC, yeah, it's great. But my memories of Final Frontier are seriously so malignant that I have to bend my mind hard toward Undiscovered Country to remember how good it is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My first theatre Trek was UC and that is definitely my go-to memory for TOS movies

Sure it's babby's first political metaphor but it WAS that for me and I love it forever

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My first Star Trek movie was seeing Search for Spock at a drive-in theatre. I was five and terrified by the giant amoeba things and Spock’s gross pulsing Genesis face.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

zoux posted:

Anyone got an image of that Klingon ktinga/bird of prey hybrid or whatever?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cool ship. I wonder if it's just something she made up for the holodeck or that's what big Klingon ships are going to look like in this show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I gotta say it's cool to see post-Nemesis designs and stuff.

Oh also they should've had everyone in completely new and different uniforms, like they do in every movie.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

That was a great Lower Decks episode, when they started rapidly spinning above the ship during the long approach i was in tears.

Cautiously looking forward to Discovery returning later this month :ohdear:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Now that I think of it, the 8th episode of Lower Decks heavily referenced ST6 with the courtroom scene. It also had Kurtwood Smith, who played the Federation President in ST6.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now that I think of it, the 8th episode of Lower Decks heavily referenced ST6 with the courtroom scene. It also had Kurtwood Smith, who played the Federation President in ST6.

Old and Busted: WoK references
New Hotness: TUC references

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

zoux posted:

I gotta say it's cool to see post-Nemesis designs and stuff.

Oh also they should've had everyone in completely new and different uniforms, like they do in every movie.

That was definitely the one thing that was missing, the new uniform.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

No changes to the flyby.

:actually:

They added the reflection in this shot:

You know, just in case you didn't already grok that Kirk wants to gently caress the ship

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/NPepcvl.mp4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MichiganCubbie posted:

Old and Busted: WoK references
New Hotness: TUC references
They also had a fan dance in the same episode

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool, Jaws 19 must be almost ready

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Much cooler than the last fake start truck ship I saw in China.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Starprise Entership

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
That definitely looks like what would arrive after I ordered a starship off of Wish.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cross-Section posted:

:actually:

They added the reflection in this shot:

You know, just in case you didn't already grok that Kirk wants to gently caress the ship

heck, same.

same.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Starship U.S.S. Enter NCC-171-d

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Alchenar posted:

For a show that thinks name dropping Episode titles of other Star Trek shows is a joke, it was a bit of whiplash for the joke this time to be the characters not getting that it was a Chang reference.

I'm laughing at the superior intellect that criticizes both references that are too name-droppy and those that aren't name-droppy enough. Like a poor marksman you keep missing the target. This doesnt really "Ensigns of Command", if you get my drift.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Needs a captain, and I have just the one for the job!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh by the way, "Many Orions haven't been pirates for five years!" was an excellent line, read brilliantly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There's some well lit rooms on that ship apparently.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy poo poo that was fantastic. I really hope the character development with Mariner keep. Though I kinda want Bromiler's discovery to only be a problem with him, and everyone else is like "yea we all know, its not a big deal. Wait you didn't know?"

Parodies of the Trek films were so spot on.

THERAPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this a top 5 holodeck episode

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yes it is. It’s legitimately great.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Is this a top 5 holodeck episode

A question like that makes me think you're asking the wrong questions!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't stop smiling at this every time I see it

Aw I almost got a pint glass with it on there but it's like twenty fuckin' bucks https://shop.startrek.com/collections/lower-decks/pint-glasses

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

After its kitbash cameo in the Wolf 359 graveyard scene, it took a few iterations to get the Nebula design to look halfway decent.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

After its kitbash cameo in the Wolf 359 graveyard scene, it took a few iterations to get the Nebula design to look halfway decent.

I liked Weapons Pod Nebula and AWACS Dish Nebula both equally. That weird 4-nacelle piece of poo poo though is just :yikes:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Thank you! God, that was killing me.

Man... talk about how forgettable a movie can be where a fan of the franchise went to a theater and saw the movie on the big screen, and the two things he remembers are 1) this is the movie that they say wraps up the franchise; and 2) oh neat, the actors signed the film in the end credits!

It's a shame, too. Now that I think about it, that movie wasn't horrible. I especially like the one part where they're quoting Shakespeare, and the Klingon says something (I think about breathing room), and Kirk cites the quote, "Earth; Hitler; 1938."

In this time when media franchises drag on so long it's strange to think that the entire run of the TOS crew on screen from their premiere on TV to TUC was "only" 25 years.

Hell, it was 12 years between TMP and TUC. If a 4th Kelvin timeline movie gets made that iteration of the movies will have been longer lasting than the TOS movies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I liked Weapons Pod Nebula and AWACS Dish Nebula both equally. That weird 4-nacelle piece of poo poo though is just :yikes:

To me it looks like a perfectly fine nebula with a little baby ship docked as its mission module, so that's what I choose to believe.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 3, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

So it turns out Ensign Fletcher, the fuckup from episode 6, wasn't a sudden addition from the episode. You can see him in the background of some of the earlier episodes, like Temporal Edict.

Generally for an animated show like this you'd have a bunch of character sheets for backgrounders, so you don't have to come up with a new design every single time, you're just like "use background crew #34 here and #12 there". That also means that you end up with the effect of having a noticeable consistent population to the setting as a side effect - if you want to put the effort in, you can even divide them up into groups more likely to be in different areas or doing certain jobs.

That also conveniently means that when you want a random-of-the-week person you can always pull an appropriate sheet from the roster to use for it and they'll have been there all along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

To me it looks like a perfectly fine nebula with a little baby ship docked as its mission module, so that's what I choose to believe.

I dunno. There's something very offputting about the little dinky Galaxy nacelles on the top there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CPColin posted:

I'm laughing at the superior intellect that criticizes both references that are too name-droppy and those that aren't name-droppy enough. Like a poor marksman you keep missing the target. This doesnt really "Ensigns of Command", if you get my drift.

Either it's a motif that the characters in the show have watched all of Star Trek or it isn't. You can't just flip between the two when you feel like it and it highlights the laziness of the writing.