Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explains whether convalescent plasma is a thing ? For example if you're a rich old gently caress who gets bad symptoms ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just LOL if they actually shut down Congress and this is what stops the SCOTUS nom going through

https://twitter.com/MSignorile/status/1311902557925715969

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just LOL if they actually shut down Congress and this is what stops the SCOTUS nom going through

https://twitter.com/MSignorile/status/1311902557925715969

Nah, McConnell would just do an about-face on remote voting, like he did on, you know, voting on a justice during an election year.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 2, 2020

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a Covid story for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll stay far away

What do you get when you won’t wear a mask
No exercise and gorging on fries
What are you doing, yelling in crowds
Breathing in pandemic germs
Came down with the ‘roni.

Oompa loompa doompety da
If not a fatass you might live long,
Hooked up to air to stave off death
Like the many many other people you’ve killed!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1311900487898271745

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

unpacked robinhood posted:

Can someone explains whether convalescent plasma is a thing ? For example if you're a rich old gently caress who gets bad symptoms ?
It has had uneveb results, possibly because people with antibodies to their own interferon are much more likely to get bad cases and their poisonous plasma will probably make fighting it off harder. So if they use pooled plasma from people who recovered from bad cases they likely get some bad with the good.
Since it got detected early antivirals and monocolonal antibodies are more likely to help.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Xenocides posted:

your covid story should rhyme better

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

yeah some of those couplets make me legit worried that you've lost your sense of taste, please go get tested

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

greazeball posted:

yeah some of those couplets make me legit worried that you've lost your sense of taste, please go get tested

I blame insomnia combined with hours of cackling with glee like the Joker but apologize for inflicting it on all of you.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Xenocides posted:

Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you’ve you are wise you'll stay far away

Got this far and stopped. “If you’re wise you’ll listen and flee” was right loving there, man...

:wtc:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Schadenboner posted:

Got this far and stopped. “If you’re wise you’ll listen and flee” was right loving there, man...

:wtc:

Or, you know, "doompety day". This may be the lowest effort goon parody ever.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oompa loompa doompity dixer
Make a bad rhyme and you'll eat a sixer

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Lmao

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah it's gonna be an interesting few weeks. Everyone in the world he cares about (himself and Ivanka, and maybe one of his failsons but idk) are represented there.
I was wondering just now if Trump actually gets tested daily or not. Swab-based tests are the most accurate but they loving suck to get, so I could see him passing the buck to others. Of course there are saliva-based tests now etc. so who knows what the regimen is. I could also see him passing the buck to others out of sheer blustery hubris at the notion that he might have it.

The swab tests are fine now. You no longer have to stick them way far back in your nasal passage, you just swab a bit of each nostril now.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Yeah so here's actual epidemiologists echoing what I was saying:

Even with a negative test, Trump was likely infectious during the debate:

https://twitter.com/SaskiaPopescu/status/1311912857215401985

https://twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1312021295794720770

Not to mention a maskless Hope Hicks was at the debate so there's another vector.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 2, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1312065485400346625

Biden's good

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The swab tests are fine now. You no longer have to stick them way far back in your nasal passage, you just swab a bit of each nostril now.
Yeah that's true, I keep forgetting that he would have access to the most convenient/least painful test, not "whatever's available in your area" like us plebes. They could even give him fast-tracked RT-PCR results to do saliva tests.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah so here's actual epidemiologists echoing what I was saying:

Even with a negative test, Trump was likely infectious during the debate:

https://twitter.com/SaskiaPopescu/status/1311912857215401985

https://twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1312021295794720770

Not to mention a maskless Hope Hicks was at the debate so there's another vector.
The one thing I'm wondering about here is whether this holds for people who are being tested constantly. Most people aren't getting tested every day, and they only go get tested if they need to/if they develop symptoms. Whereas someone being sampled frequently could be caught as soon as their viral load is high.

Of course this also says nothing about when Trump tested positive. Not sure if that information has been released, else it could've happened before the debate for all we know.
Good news for now but he could be infected and not test positive for more than a week.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I mean, "better"?

:shrug:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Well, let's not say things we can't take back

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zugzwang posted:

Of course this also says nothing about when Trump tested positive. Not sure if that information has been released, else it could've happened before the debate for all we know.
Good news for now but he could be infected and not test positive for more than a week.

Aren't there reports that he was symptomatic while on Air Force One after thr debate? If hes symptomatic then he was almost definitely in the infectious period during the debate, and his test that day was probably a false negative.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Aren't there reports that he was symptomatic while on Air Force One after thr debate? If hes symptomatic then he was almost definitely in the infectious period during the debate, and his test that day was probably a false negative.
Oh. Well, then :tif:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
He might have been symptomatic af on AF1 but they shot him full of meth?

I mean, that's what I'd do if I had to make that fucker look presentable in the middle of COVID onset?

:shrug:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there was a very distinct point in the debate where whatever they shot him up with wore off and he began to glisten

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
This is one of those things where people are using the same words to talk about different things. The reason epidemiologists suggest going back 48-hours after a positive is because people are normally not being tested daily and only usually after developing symptoms. My understanding from what I've read is that if you are literally being tested daily, then you should be testing positive before you hit an infectious stage. I could be wrong about how stringent they were testing for the debate, if they were actually smart (biggest IF ever), then it should still be functionally impossible for Trump to infect Biden. The suggested course of action is for Biden to isolate for 5 days and get tested to confirm he's negative and move on from there.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

If Trump was actually showing symptoms that might indicate something was wrong with their whole testing regimen. That shouldn't happen day one. That's probably just some spurious nonsense though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

If Trump was actually showing symptoms that might indicate something was wrong with their whole testing regimen. That shouldn't happen day one. That's probably just some spurious nonsense though.

The nocebo effect is a hell of a thing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In all likelihood, yeah. Still, somehow I wouldn't put it past Trump to be slacking or cheating on his testing some way or another, even if the discomfort is minimal. Dunno if he could do that without it leaking out that he was.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah if you're putting out virus to infect other people you're putting out virus to be positive on a test

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We will discover that trump told his aides he was gonna swab himself because he's got good hands, the best, and he just dunked the thing in water behind a curtain or something equally idiotic because having someone poke inside his nose made him uncomfortable.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

We will discover that trump told his aides he was gonna swab himself because he's got good hands, the best, and he just dunked the thing in water behind a curtain or something equally idiotic because having someone poke inside his nose made him uncomfortable.

This wouldn't be a surprise at all. or that he shoved it up a dog's nose instead of his own.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So... Our tabloid newspapers are reporting that US put the "kill all with nuclear fire" Boeing E-6B Mercury planes up into air in case the president kicks it. So we now actually have a "we are all gonna die" but in a hastened schedule?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

So... Our tabloid newspapers are reporting that US put the "kill all with nuclear fire" Boeing E-6B Mercury planes up into air in case the president kicks it. So we now actually have a "we are all gonna die" but in a hastened schedule?

What’s the point of that?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1312125320544227329

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

A couple folks in the loltrump thread pointed out that they probably wouldn't be doing this if he wasn't in really bad shape

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

No, those doomsday planes are always up. I hope that makes you feel better.

The difference is they turned on their transponders so everyone can see them. It is basically a “DO NOT SCREW WITH US RIGHT NOW” sign they use for anyone who thinks an ill President means the nation is vulnerable. It is posturing but it would not accelerate an apocalyptic nuclear exchange beyond how fast it would normally go.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Xenocides posted:

The difference is they turned on their transponders so everyone can see them. It is basically a “DO NOT SCREW WITH US RIGHT NOW” sign they use for anyone who thinks an ill President means the nation is vulnerable. It is posturing but it would not accelerate an apocalyptic nuclear exchange beyond how fast it would normally go.

Sounds like the United states is compensating for having a small you know what....

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Fallows posted:

Sounds like the United states is compensating for having a small you know what....

Putin’s ICBM is bigger, more shiny, and more erect. We just have to content ourselves with knowing ours probably still works.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/1312121190597586944

More "Trump was possibly infectious during the debate" hype

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/1312121190597586944

More "Trump was possibly infectious during the debate" hype
He didn't stick to an honor system? :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Xenocides posted:

They're also saying that the launch coinciding with the diagnosis was purely coincidental :thunk: