Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

butt dickus posted:

gigablast is horseshit, it's their highest tier so you get 1000 down but only 35 up so good luck running cameras on that, and it has a 1.25tb transfer limit per month. at&t put fiber in my neighborhood and i switched immediately. it's half the price for symmetric gigabit with no cap and it cut my latency in half

are you confusing cox and comcast or is cox offering identical service to comcast (right down to the data cap)?

either way the major cable companies are embarrassing dogshit and loving lol at the name "cox gigablast"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
it's identical. cox even uses rebranded comcast equipment. my best friend works for cox and complains about them nonstop

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have some friends that work on cox too. they sometimes even gigablast it for you

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

gigablast is horseshit, it's their highest tier so you get 1000 down but only 35 up so good luck running cameras on that, and it has a 1.25tb transfer limit per month. at&t put fiber in my neighborhood and i switched immediately. it's half the price for symmetric gigabit with no cap and it cut my latency in half

I agree. It's worth saying that I have a discount that still runs for another year and I paid to have the data cap removed.

I switch between cox and at&t to make sure I'm always on a promotion but at&t forces you to use their own poo poo routers so I'm torn (lying naked on the floor) between using my own router that supports OSPF and RIP and a sensible DHCP configuration or using the at&t router so I have to go about segmenting my network so that I still have a sense of control in only small pockets of my home network.

at&t routers can do ipv6 out of the box tho so that's not too terrible

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

infernal machines posted:

no. i refuse to believe this is the actual name of the service

Gigablast - Gigabit Internet from Cox

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
love my high-speed cox

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

starbucks hermit posted:

I agree. It's worth saying that I have a discount that still runs for another year and I paid to have the data cap removed.

I switch between cox and at&t to make sure I'm always on a promotion but at&t forces you to use their own poo poo routers so I'm torn (lying naked on the floor) between using my own router that supports OSPF and RIP and a sensible DHCP configuration or using the at&t router so I have to go about segmenting my network so that I still have a sense of control in only small pockets of my home network.

at&t routers can do ipv6 out of the box tho so that's not too terrible

if it's anything like the fibre providers up here, you absolutely don't need to use their router. you need a router that can set a vlan on the wan interface and you need to know the pppoe credentials for the connection

i have 1.5GB/1GB service here, the ONT is a little SFP module that i took out of bell's router and installed in my mikrotik, and then i configured a new pppoe interface on vlan 35, and bingo bongo, i don't have to use their dire-rear end sagem hardware

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

I switch between cox and at&t to make sure I'm always on a promotion but at&t forces you to use their own poo poo routers
you can put it in bridge mode, that's what i did. when i called to cancel cox they offered me a rate of $70/mo, but i'm only paying $60/mo to at&t even with their equipment fee, and it will go up to $70 after the first year, so there's no point in switching back

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
heh

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

you can put it in bridge mode, that's what i did. when i called to cancel cox they offered me a rate of $70/mo, but i'm only paying $60/mo to at&t even with their equipment fee, and it will go up to $70 after the first year, so there's no point in switching back

I'm using cox and I have my own cable modem so I can supply my own router. It rules. I never want to have to "configure bridge mode" on any gddm consumer router as long as I live

if it's anything like the fibre providers up here, you absolutely don't need to use their router. you need a router that can set a vlan on the wan interface and you need to know the pppoe credentials for the connection

i have 1.5GB/1GB service here, the ONT is a little SFP module that i took out of bell's router and installed in my mikrotik, and then i configured a new pppoe interface on vlan 35, and bingo bongo, i don't have to use their dire-rear end sagem hardware

I assume that your fibre providers are not at&t

nevertheless, this provides the slimmest sliver of hope. I saw no "bridge mode" on the at&t routers I got, but if they actually support your scheme, then vlans are brilliant.

flexible and simple to actually be effective without mucking with edge cases. Average customer routers won't support it, so the vast number of customers won't even try to use it. And the networking nuts are already familiar with it so they're satisfied. And you can still configure the isp supplied modem by just switching vlans.

I imagine if I call the at&t help desk about this, it would be a real exercise in frustration though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

Ok, I see that you meant bridge mode on at&t routers.

I saw no such thing and got zero assistance about it when searching online and calling the help desk.

Maybe things have changed now but I really seriously doubt it because then at&t can't sell you their poo poo over-the-top vod boxes and voip, neither of which most modern customers want anyway

I get netflix and crunchyroll and that's all I need. Suck it, ISPs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

having said that, I'm likely going to crawl back in about a year, when my cox promotion ends. My dignity and integrity is not worth that much

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

I'm using cox and I have my own cable modem so I can supply my own router. It rules. I never want to have to "configure bridge mode" on any gddm consumer router as long as I live
i think i had to change one setting? it was so easy i don't even remember what i did. all i know is my diablo 3 pings went from ~80 on cox with my sb8200 to ~40 with at&t

you have to use it because it authenticates with the ont somehow. there's a workaround where you put your own router in between the two where they can still auth but the traffic goes through your router instead

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

i think i had to change one setting? it was so easy i don't even remember what i did. all i know is my diablo 3 pings went from ~80 on cox with my sb8200 to ~40 with at&t

you have to use it because it authenticates with the ont somehow. there's a workaround where you put your own router in between the two where they can still auth but the traffic goes through your router instead

At any rate, I'll check it out in about a year. Hopefully it'll be an option for me then.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

butt dickus posted:

:shrug: ours don't. the ont is either a nokia box with an ethernet jack or a huawei sfp module. the ont is required, but the modem is just doing pppoe on a specific vlan, and you can replicate that with your router of choice

all the gpon providers here do this, so i'd be surprised if at&t is completely different, but it's possible

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

mine is like this but with nokia branding on the back instead of alcatel-lucent, i assume it's the one you're talking about
https://www.ebay.com/c/26007502889

here's a bunch of ubiquiti nerds talking about it
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32839785-AT-T-Fiber-Gateway-bypass-with-WPA-supplicant-stopped-working-2-days-ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow, att really are dicks. eap/certificate auth on the hardware

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wow, att really are dicks. eap/certificate auth on the hardware

no, cox are dicks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

janitor your internet? wtf?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i also have cox internet and i never have to call the doctor because my internet is not capable of staying up for more than four hours

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have frontier, which resells FIOS. 500/500 for $50 a month. :smug:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
no blasting?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Android: Home internet serviced by Cox Gigablast

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wouldn't mind paying like $100 for google fiber for my home, at least they won't send me paper ads every week to upgrade to a tv bundle

.... instead, they'll just e-mail me continuously and just set my youtube ads

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got Verizon Fios at my new place. $75 for symmetric gigabit and I can use my own router. suits my needs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I have frontier, which resells FIOS. 500/500 for $50 a month. :smug:

in nz symmetric gigabit fibre is $NZD75 (about $USD50) a month and it’s just pppoe on a vlan, no funky auth.

when I left nz to live overseas in 2007 ADSL1 was about as good as it got and was expensive af. it’s a miracle to me that we have good internet now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what good is gigabit internet when the whole country’s link to the rest of the world is over a tin cup with a string?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i literally wrote an article about that very thing on my company blog because I kept encountering spergs like you

tldr there’s shitlaods of undersea cables

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Gentle Autist posted:

i literally wrote an article about that very thing on my company blog because I kept encountering spergs like you

drop facts or gently caress off.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gentle Autist posted:

there's millions of people in america though.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

drop facts or gently caress off.

Angry about cables

main cable networks are

Southern Cross Next - 72tbps
Hawaiki - 44tbps
Tasman Global Access - 20tbps
Southern Cross A/B - 1.2 tbps each

anroid

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
unlike anroid, NZ internet works extremely well

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted from the other side of tin can with string

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

unlike anroid, NZ internet works extremely well

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted from the other side of tin can with string

haha cool

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

in nz symmetric gigabit fibre is $NZD75 (about $USD50) a month and it’s just pppoe on a vlan, no funky auth.

when I left nz to live overseas in 2007 ADSL1 was about as good as it got and was expensive af. it’s a miracle to me that we have good internet now

Actually hold up where can I get gigabit for $75 ???

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

https://frontier.com/shop

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

Angry about cables

main cable networks are

Southern Cross Next - 72tbps
Hawaiki - 44tbps
Tasman Global Access - 20tbps
Southern Cross A/B - 1.2 tbps each

anroid

I just looked up southern cross next and everything about it is bonkers and somehow only costs $300million?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

Some 2degrees promo , if you have a mobile plan with them as well. You get prime video bundled https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/broadband/

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

re ISP bullshit, if your provider is doing something like VDSL in last mile with a VLAN then you'll need an 802.1q bridge which looks like this on cisco (my ISP puts data on VLAN 2):

code:
interface Ethernet0
 description *** VDSL0 ***
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
!
interface Ethernet0.2
 description *** VDSL0_DATA ***
 encapsulation dot1Q 2
 no ip redirects
 bridge-group 1
!
interface Vlan1
 description *** WAN ***
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 ntp disable
 bridge-group 1
!
edit: oh yeah this assumes you're trunking VLAN 1 up to some other device that'll be doing PPP for ya. in my setup i've got a cisco 897VA doing the VDSL which it bridges to a fortigate 60e.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 6, 2020

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

Some 2degrees promo , if you have a mobile plan with them as well. You get prime video bundled https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/broadband/

Ah poo poo their mobile plans would actually work for me rn too... hate contracts but i do love saving money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
android 11 removed the ability to set global immersive mode goddd why do they keep making it worse