Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
If a friend asked me for help with building a pool and mentioned we weren't using a backhoe I would rudely decline. You're a good friend and have a solid bod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Fallows posted:

If a friend asked me for help with building a pool and mentioned we weren't using a backhoe I would rudely decline. You're a good friend and have a solid bod
Yeah that's the smartest thing you could possibly do. Unfortunately the zoning laws and steep cliffside make it impossible, 4ft. trench must be dug first.
You can dig out and build your own pool without one, and you'd probably lose 20lbs of fat and gain some lean musle mass for a pool bod in the process. This is in Texas where it's hot as hell and everyone needs a pool.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 25, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Is your friend Sean Astin?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I've managed to move up ten pounds on the overhead press (125lb at 145lb body weight) since I posted about it a while ago. I'm not strong enough to do sets of five, but I can manage sets of three. My immediate goal is to be able to OHP my body weight.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
:wow:
That's quite amazing. What shoulder exercises do you do besides OHP and what have you done that you feel helped you make that progress?

Dennis McClaren posted:

Stuck at home for quarantine without a home gym? Help your friend build a pool! It's grueling physical work but it's a fantastic workout. The shoulder and back doms I got from a full 4 hours of digging was just phenomenal. Shoot, just dig a whole for a project.

You should monetize it, make a video like "I got this body DIGGING HOLES, you can too chump!" *flex*

And then sell specially balanced fitness shovels and power wheelbarrows. Crossfit is over, you could be next.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Cafe Barbarian posted:

:wow:
That's quite amazing. What shoulder exercises do you do besides OHP and what have you done that you feel helped you make that progress?

You should monetize it, make a video like "I got this body DIGGING HOLES, you can too chump!" *flex*

And then sell specially balanced fitness shovels and power wheelbarrows. Crossfit is over, you could be next.

That's all I do for shoulders, actually. I'm probably just undertrained. I guess going from alternating between OHP and Bench every workout (Monday OHP, Wednesday Bench, Friday OHP, Monday Bench, etc) to doing both on the same day, but doing heavy sets for that day's primary pushing exercise and lighter sets for the other(Monday heavy OHP, light Bench, Wednesday heavy Bench, light OHP, etc) is what made a difference.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

lmao, that flag

E:

Barbells and a damned bumper plate at Walmart but no regular plate, Goddamnit.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 27, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

man maybe I should run by walmart. I'd definitely snag a $78 barbell.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

man maybe I should run by walmart. I'd definitely snag a $78 barbell.

$75 bumper plates, too. That's less than $2/lb!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Someone on fb wants $690 for a seated calf raise machine, plate loaded but no plates, and I can't tell if it's a troll post...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Its not. I just sold an old Everlast 50 lb bag plus stand for $150, no haggles, and tons of hits. Fitness equipment is still the hotness

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Anyone know a good core exercise that hits the bottom muscles in your abdomen that doing stomach vacuums works? Hope this makes sense i cant figure out a way to activate my lower abs other than doing the vacs

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fallows posted:

Anyone know a good core exercise that hits the bottom muscles in your abdomen that doing stomach vacuums works? Hope this makes sense i cant figure out a way to activate my lower abs other than doing the vacs

Leg raises on a dip stand, maybe?

E: Just tried doing a stomach vacuum and felt it more in my upper abs than lower. Maybe I'm doing them wrong?

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 30, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I feel like lying leg raises hit my lower abs well but a lot of it is mind/muscle. I've no idea if it's anything near vacuum muscles as I've never in my life done them

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I feel like lying leg raises hit my lower abs well but a lot of it is mind/muscle. I've no idea if it's anything near vacuum muscles as I've never in my life done them

I like lying leg raises where someone stands behind you and pushes your legs down, forcing you to brace.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Will try some leg raises then. my lower abs are lagging behind the rest of my body badly

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fallows posted:

Will try some leg raises then. my lower abs are lagging behind the rest of my body badly

Not trying to be rude, but are you sure you're lean enough? The key to really good abs is being very lean and depending on your genetic distribution of fat it's not uncommon to see upper definition first.

Just don't want you spinning your wheels on the perfect angle to hit your abs from if the answer is "diet harder."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
You can also add ankle weights to lying leg raises.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Fallows posted:

Leg raises and hanging knee/leg raises for working the lower abs.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

Not trying to be rude, but are you sure you're lean enough? The key to really good abs is being very lean and depending on your genetic distribution of fat it's not uncommon to see upper definition first.

Just don't want you spinning your wheels on the perfect angle to hit your abs from if the answer is "diet harder."

Not rude, i wish but i dont think ill ever be 8 pack lean, im more concerned from a powerlifting perspective, just trying to strength all my core and it feels like its lagging down there. I do a lot for core and nothing seems to feel the same as stomach vacs in term of the muscles i feel being worked but maybe its just becuse of how the exercise is

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RiYKoc3FHc

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Hyper extended my left elbow while doing bench today and now it hurts. Hope it feels better by Monday.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fallows posted:

Not rude, i wish but i dont think ill ever be 8 pack lean, im more concerned from a powerlifting perspective, just trying to strength all my core and it feels like its lagging down there. I do a lot for core and nothing seems to feel the same as stomach vacs in term of the muscles i feel being worked but maybe its just becuse of how the exercise is

Oh, I'm not used to seeing people talk about abs in the context of strength rather than ~* aesthetics *~. Carry on then.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

All the competitive strongmen and powerlifters in my gym do exclusively bracing oriented ab stuff. Plank variations with bosu balls, ab rolls with pauses and such.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/100002914774854/posts/3281008445339616/

Not a single mask on down in Florida as all these people sweat and breath hard and get their fluids and moist breath all over the place.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
A lot of powerlifters don't do ab stuff at all - what is actually happening that makes you think you are limited by your core? Are you wearing a belt and bracing effectively?

Squats and deadlifts are both effective ab/core exercises by themselves which is why those muscles are rarely trained by strength athletes

If you do want to train them you want to train heavier so sit-ups while holding a heavy weight, leg raises with a weight between your feet etc.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't know what "most powerlifters" do, but the best powerlifters definitely train their cores specifically. Like the world record holders, for example

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Standing Abs are what westside recommends and ab work is done every session. I use some bands over my pull-up bar for them.

I used to not do any core work cause I was a moron who thought squatting and deadlifts was enough and then once my back pain became so bad I relented and started doing lots of planks and standing abs. Now I have no back pain.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Core works pretty important and easy to throw in as auxiliaries. You'll even get more support out of the belt the more solid your core braces against it.

My favorite core movements include weighted reach ups, candlesticks, back extensions, single leg lowerers, one arm floor presses, and of course turkish get ups.

I do planks too but they're not as fun. Try out lots of short bursts of plank instead of longer holds. Easier to hold a steady plank that way and build the stability.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I had a history of back problems before I ever started lifting. At first just lifting at all made things better. But once I started getting into big boy numbers the back couldn't keep up and I had to back off and start giving my core some focus. These days I end every workout with at least 1 core exercise for 3 or 4 sets. I hate planks too, but doing them like any other lift helps, like 4 sets of 6 15 second holds.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I incorporate targeted core exercises into 4 of my 6 workout days. It's usually bicycle crunches, standing lateral crunches, landmine wipers, and v-ups.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Cutting back on the sugar and making a real attempt to not eat constant garbage for once. I am feeling it a bit, in terms of missing tons of carbs(still eating them, I just don't have a constant stream of sugar). Lifts feel a bit harder/slower, but looking back at the video of my top single today, I don't think it moved that bad at all. What do you goons reckon I had in me judging based on the speed of 275?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGGWUYjA-kN/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

front squat is the best core workout imo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Cutting back on the sugar and making a real attempt to not eat constant garbage for once. I am feeling it a bit, in terms of missing tons of carbs(still eating them, I just don't have a constant stream of sugar). Lifts feel a bit harder/slower, but looking back at the video of my top single today, I don't think it moved that bad at all. What do you goons reckon I had in me judging based on the speed of 275?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGGWUYjA-kN/

How did it feel?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

How did it feel?

Yeah, my bench doesn't noticeably slow down even up to RPE9. So from looking at your video alone you could have 4 more reps in you or just 1. But I'll say you could have 300lb in the pocket if you have a real good day.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

How did it feel?

Well, like I said, I don't have my constant influx of glycogen anymore, so things are feeling harder and slower than normal which is why I was having a hard time judging that by feel.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
eat more bread, rice, potatoes etc . sugar isn't any better for glycogen than any other carb

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That stuff isn't as calorie dense though so it's hard to get the same amount

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
also the fact that you haven't tried the honey bun and breakfast corndog diet is probably why I am stronger than you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nobody wants to buy the lonely 45lb bumper plate at Walmart. Been hoping to catch another 45lb plate so that I can start deadlifting heavier but no dice.