Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
You can craft flippers to give them the ability to swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm trying Battlefront 2 since I have this EA Play sub and it's actually pretty fun to run in the meatgrinder as a stormtrooper. I don't think I'd ever buy this game outright and doubt I'll get much out of it but still, surprisingly fun!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yami Fenrir posted:

If it's the boss I'm thinking of, you should also have some hover boots and can craft them pretty trivially. But water and lava terrain are pretty great and I wish more games made terrain features worth using (Into the Breach was really good about this too).

Also on the FFT/TO train, play the Rad Codex games if you haven't already.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Squadrons is great, reviews gonna get bombed because it has lots of black and Asian characters, probably

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Squadrons is great, reviews gonna get bombed because it has lots of black and Asian characters, probably

Hell I bought Chimera Squad on release for the same reason. XCOM is a sold franchise and I had been excited for the game, but to also hear so many white Gamers lose their loving minds over it was all I needed to pull the trigger on a day 1 purchase.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I actually played the demo, and this is an obviously false claim? No idea why you posted this.

maybe at some point it becomes more than "a dude attacks you, rewind so you attack him instead, rinse, repeat" but if it does it comes after the part where I got bored

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

Oh, yea, I did know this at the time. Not sure why I didn't do that. Maybe I did and just still couldn't beat it :v:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

pentyne posted:

Hell I bought Chimera Squad on release for the same reason. XCOM is a sold franchise and I had been excited for the game, but to also hear so many white Gamers lose their loving minds over it was all I needed to pull the trigger on a day 1 purchase.

I grabbed that one on a $9.99 sale back in April, and have zero regrets. I just wish I could find more free time to give it a replay.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

sebmojo posted:

That's why I asked about it here and don't usually pay much attention to Steam reviews. Also I find I have low tolerance for seeing the same "10/10 makes you feel like a star war - IGN" jokes a billion loving times

pentyne posted:

That was part of the reason I got Chimera Squad too, that plus more XCOM yay, but turns out it was a bad game and I got owned by the chuds :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve played Squadrons for about 3 hours so far and it’s stupid good.

I did one multiplayer match and out scored the entire enemy team by five kills, so if you’re used to space games odds are you’re gonna wreck poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know why steam wouldn't be detecting a wired Dualshock 4? It will start charging so I know the USB is connected, but in the controller setup in big picture it just says "controller not detected." this wasn't an issue with the switch pro controller and it worked right away.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hwurmp posted:

maybe at some point it becomes more than "a dude attacks you, rewind so you attack him instead, rinse, repeat" but if it does it comes after the part where I got bored
The demo has three levels. Level 2 is 5 minutes long (assuming you actually bother with avoidable combat). You get your second character and flame magic abilities in level 3.

Anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-JHkhVBrM8

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
God drat it I wish when people used the word "isometric" they actually meant isometric and not just "I don't know, the camera sort of floats around in the sky"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how would you make a game about static muscle contractions

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

800peepee51doodoo posted:

That's why I asked about it here and don't usually pay much attention to Steam reviews. Also I find I have low tolerance for seeing the same "10/10 makes you feel like a star war - IGN" jokes a billion loving times

That was part of the reason I got Chimera Squad too, that plus more XCOM yay, but turns out it was a bad game and I got owned by the chuds :(

Chimera squad is good though!

Tbf about squadrons there is a little jank, hopefully just a bunch of first patch fixes around joystick dead zones and some crash bugs. Also I reloaded the prologue and the planet below me was shining like the sun, which was interesting (it stopped after a bit)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone know why steam wouldn't be detecting a wired Dualshock 4? It will start charging so I know the USB is connected, but in the controller setup in big picture it just says "controller not detected." this wasn't an issue with the switch pro controller and it worked right away.

Can you see it from Device Manager?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Tbf about squadrons there is a little jank, hopefully just a bunch of first patch fixes around joystick dead zones and some crash bugs. Also I reloaded the prologue and the planet below me was shining like the sun, which was interesting (it stopped after a bit)

I noticed some weird clipping glitches in the listening post mission.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

got around to loading Dying Light again and I forgot how extremely "console" the UI and... basically everything... are. think I'll try controller; at least it's not much of a shooter game even if it is first person

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

sebmojo posted:

I know a lot of people liked it but it wasn't doing the things that I like about XCOM and other turn-based tactics games. It kind of felt like it was made by people who had only ever had XCOM described to them but never played it. Or, at least, didn't play it the way I do - as a kind of long form roguelike where you need to roll with the hits and try to make comebacks after losses. They made a much more story based kind of thing with fixed characters that couldn't die, which feels like it misses the point of ironman XCOM runs. I know it wasn't a full-blown XCOM 3 but a lot of it just didn't feel right to me. I kind of felt icky playing as XCOPS too, for what that's worth. I did like some of the turn manipulation mechanics, though, and I hope to see some stuff like that in XCOM 3, as well as some of the aggressive mechanics that Gears Tactics was using too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I know a lot of people liked it but it wasn't doing the things that I like about XCOM and other turn-based tactics games. It kind of felt like it was made by people who had only ever had XCOM described to them but never played it. Or, at least, didn't play it the way I do - as a kind of long form roguelike where you need to roll with the hits and try to make comebacks after losses. They made a much more story based kind of thing with fixed characters that couldn't die, which feels like it misses the point of ironman XCOM runs. I know it wasn't a full-blown XCOM 3 but a lot of it just didn't feel right to me. I kind of felt icky playing as XCOPS too, for what that's worth. I did like some of the turn manipulation mechanics, though, and I hope to see some stuff like that in XCOM 3, as well as some of the aggressive mechanics that Gears Tactics was using too.

play Warhammer: Mechanicus

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
XCOM are and always were the future police, from harmfully detaining aliens that were mind controlled into invading Earth, to using excessive and lethal force in hostage situations.

At least in Chimera Squad, XCOM were painted as equal part overly eager murder machines and worn down vets looking to join the force and change how things go. The alien species in the game are more human, just chatting about new restaurants and wanting to hang out, while the humans are still shook about a war they barely fought in.

Plus Torque is a likable sassy snake and I will fight for her honour!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hwurmp posted:

That game like almost all Warhammer games just felt like an abusive relationship the whole way through. It was a constant affirmation of the gambler's fallacy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

That game like almost all Warhammer games just felt like an abusive relationship the whole way through. It was a constant affirmation of the gambler's fallacy.

You uh, not played an XCOM before friend?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played Fell Seal?

Na, not yet, it's been on the back of my mind for a while too, but sometimes "researching" whether I want to even try it takes more time then it's worth for me... Hows the story/what's it about/themes? Gaming for me now is more for the story then lovely game-play loops and hooks, so that's usually my main criteria here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that's fair, in a way it's like an additional iteration of the first xcom process (i.e. from the 90s version to the current one) but cutting out nearly all the set up and prep and just keeping the fights. I thought it was vg for what it was but I can see how it might have stripped out the stuff you liked about the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Im_Special posted:

Na, not yet, it's been on the back of my mind for a while too, but sometimes "researching" whether I want to even try it takes more time then it's worth for me... Hows the story/what's it about/themes? Gaming for me now is more for the story then lovely game-play loops and hooks, so that's usually my main criteria here.

The story is basically an excuse to move from battle to battle. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The writing in Fell Seal is a bit amateurish in authorial voice but it's not glaringly awful.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Hwurmp posted:

I tried it for a bit a while ago and refunded it but I've heard they made some changes and people like it more now? I might take another look when I inevitably rage quit Battle Brothers again after my 30th squad wipe to these goddamn snakes

PowerBeard posted:

XCOM are and always were the future police, from harmfully detaining aliens that were mind controlled into invading Earth, to using excessive and lethal force in hostage situations.

Ha that's one way to look at it!

sebmojo posted:

that's fair, in a way it's like an additional iteration of the first xcom process (i.e. from the 90s version to the current one) but cutting out nearly all the set up and prep and just keeping the fights. I thought it was vg for what it was but I can see how it might have stripped out the stuff you liked about the game.

Yeah and while I was originally disappointed, I also realized that probably the vast majority of folks just one-and-done'd XCOM/XCOM2. I imagine most people played it for the story elements as well as the tactical combat so in that sense, Chimera Squad is great for the majority of fans.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I tried fell seal, but it straight up did not click for me.

To me the king of Turn Based is still Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and nobody has topped it. NOBODY.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

credburn posted:

I've lived through the era of going from almost no Warhammer pc games to them vomiting out every possible idea they have and making GBS threads the bed more often then not. I think "great" warhammer games is counted on one hand, and good isnt that many more compared to the sheer number of mediocrity.

Great games: All DoW except for Soulstorm and 3. Total Warhammer. Maybe Space Marine. I think a few classic era games and that's it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Can you see it from Device Manager?

I figured it out. It was just a cheapo non data usb so it was only charging it. Switching cords fixed it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

pentyne posted:

I've lived through the era of going from almost no Warhammer pc games to them vomiting out every possible idea they have and making GBS threads the bed more often then not. I think "great" warhammer games is counted on one hand, and good isnt that many more compared to the sheer number of mediocrity.

Great games: All DoW except for Soulstorm and 3. Total Warhammer. Maybe Space Marine. I think a few classic era games and that's it.

Vermintide 2 is also pretty good, I'd say. Personally I also found Battlefleet Gothic 2 to be really satisfying, shame that game died before MP balance got good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ha that's one way to look at it!

It's explicitly what it's always been. Apocalypse straight up had you lead a squad of Judge Dredds in a Megacity.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

:psyduck:

That sure is a take, I guess none of the XComs were really about invasions then? Like, I get that Chimera Squad had to do some legwork to make the aliens likable after all the games in which they explicitly target populated cities with "terror" attacks but lol, come on.

XCom, in the majority of the games, are a military force fighting off alien invasions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KazigluBey posted:

XCom, in the majority of the games, are a military force fighting off alien invasions.

that is how cops see themselves op

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Hwurmp posted:

that is how cops see themselves op

OK? I can tell Chimera Squad is spawning a lot of blistering takes for whatever reason and I'm sure it's a great game but lol at trying to frame previous games where Earth is explicitly being invaded by aliens as some kind of 2020-policing metaphor.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

OK? I can tell Chimera Squad is spawning a lot of blistering takes for whatever reason and I'm sure it's a great game but lol at trying to frame previous games where Earth is explicitly being invaded by aliens as some kind of 2020-policing metaphor.

Well XCOM Enemy Unknown sees you as an overfunded squad willing to cause property damage to get your man while only using Stun weapons when it suits you. XCOM 2 sees you getting drastically defunding while the world tries to move on....

Nope, I'm not dealing with that can of worms.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PowerBeard posted:

XCOM 2 sees you getting drastically defunding while the world tries to move on....

More like the French/Greek resistance considering you’re opposing ongoing mass killings.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's explicitly what it's always been. Apocalypse straight up had you lead a squad of Judge Dredds in a Megacity.

I'll take your word for it since I never played that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

PowerBeard posted:

Well XCOM Enemy Unknown sees you as an overfunded squad willing to cause property damage to get your man while only using Stun weapons when it suits you. XCOM 2 sees you getting drastically defunding while the world tries to move on....

Nope, I'm not dealing with that can of worms.

XCom 2, the game where earth is under an alien fascist dictatorship that's literally turning "non-essential" humans into goo by the thousands so their leaders can make new bodies for themselves? Yeah, XCom sure are cops in that one.

Come one, trying to argue XCom are cops in any of the games where they explicitly aren't is a huge stretch.

Maybe it's not that XCOM are cops in any of the non-Chimera Squad games and more that modern policing has come to resemble military action, idk.

I'll take your word for it since I never played that game.

He's half right, it kinda plays out like that at first but like most XCOM games it's about an alien invasion you need to deal with, only instead of psychics the leaders are microbes, in Apocalypse's case.