Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

KRZ is so much worse than Disco Elysium holy poo poo

It's pretty different and was going for more of a magical realism feel which Disco Elysium was not (I dont think). KRZ has some great moments and set pieces but I think it also falls flat a lot of the time. I dont really see it as comparable to DE though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Regarding traversal, I agree that there's some strong thematic vibes from traveling around & a lot depends on how much you're invested in the feeling of trying to figure out the mystery, versus making linear progress through a set of to-do items (which, as we've discussed here a lot, is something the game identifies as a form of unhelpful sadbrains if it is done unreflectively). The map & list of open skill checks is nice but there could've been a few UI features to smooth it out -- e.g. if you could click on the open skill check list and Harry automatically walks to that location.

The developers also could've built around a feature like that by letting you have conversations *while* you're walking somewhere, rather than stopping you to navigate menus. Which doesn't make as much sense when you're clicking from one spot of pavement to another, but if you click "walk to this place across town" I think it's fine to navigate a menu & read text while Harry hoofs it. Like I'm thinking about doing all that poo poo for Evrart and the long hike up to his office, that would've been a good time to reflect on communism with your internals or talk to Kim about something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Horizon Burning posted:

KRZ is so much worse than Disco Elysium holy poo poo

It's lazy hipster magic realism, but there are a number of excellent transcendent moments

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One thing I didn't fully appreciate until a second playthrough is that with Klassje Volition is every bit as compromised as your other skills, just in the opposite direction. It knows what's happening to the other skills, resents it, and overcompensates in response.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

christmas boots posted:

One thing I didn't fully appreciate until a second playthrough is that with Klassje Volition is every bit as compromised as your other skills, just in the opposite direction. It knows what's happening to the other skills, resents it, and overcompensates in response.

Which is notably why it grudgingly admits that maybe mercy is the correct answer if you commit to it. Volition is, in a lot of ways, the 'better man', so it can at least admit it's wrong once your mind's made up.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

christmas boots posted:

Authority and Electro-Chemistry are NOT compromised :smugjones:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

christmas boots posted:

The dream at the end of the first day and the conversation you mentioned were definitely my two favorite parts of the game. That convo was extremely good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EorayMel posted:

Authority and Electro-Chemistry are NOT compromised :smugjones:

Hey, what's under her jumpsuit?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Hey, what's under her jumpsuit?

GLORY. TRUTH.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deckit posted:

GLORY. TRUTH.

so soft

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I managed to sing karaoke. And I failed the red drama check. Which I am very glad I did, IMO.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The karaoke check is the only thing I save scummed, and I failed four times in a row lol so I gave up

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Failure is better for that one anyway imho.

The only failure you should savescum is the heated disco moment.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I managed to pass the karaoke red check at like 20%. I'm glad I got that one first because I think it fits the mood better. But this is one of those checks where even if you lose you still win.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Failure is better for that one anyway imho.

The only failure you should savescum is the heated disco moment.

and Empathy with the working class woman

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

nothing The Cop can do in the game, whether "failure" or "success," is out-of-character for him. all of the impulses you can follow are well-trod mental pathways, though they don't have to define him any more, once you get involved.

this thing is the My Struggle of videogames.

e: the one by Knausgard, i mean

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 4, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

and Empathy with the working class woman

What uh, happens if you fail that one. Passing it was already pretty rough.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

You stumble over your words trying to deliver the news, and Kim interrupts to deliver it a little more diplomatically. You step outside and can apologize to Kim about loving up, and he just reassures you that there's never an easy way to do it.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

anime tupac posted:

I really want anyone saying this game isn't well-written to provide an example of a better-written game, because this is easily the best-written game I've ever played, to the point where it's on par with actual literature, which makes sense because the writer is a novelist, and nothing else comes remotely close

e: nothing else i've played. I am totally open to hearing about games better-written than this.

I prefer planescape torment’s writing but I couldn’t really choose between the two because disco is a bit better at weaving the writing with the gameplay

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's kind of interesting to think about because a lot of people have said that the running around is dead time and a bit repetitive and that is true, but I also feel like if all you did was just teleport between conversations it would probably be a bit much? Like the pacing of the game is that you have a conversation, run around a bit, have another conversation, and so on. It needs the dead time and I feel like it wouldn't have worked as well if it was just a pure visual novel thing.

I think the game could have used a middle ground, like someone earlier suggested the ability to fast travel between the shack and the Whirling, which I think would have cut down some of the tedium. Also I think a lot of areas of the map are pretty arbitrarily blocked off. Like, I get having to take the long way for story or exploration, but the amount of times I had to run around entire buildings because of some bush blocking a person I needed to talk to became grating.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I'm playing through the game again with some people watching. I was hoping to fail to conceptualization check to come up with a cool name to Kim, but of course I passed it at 28% which apparently blocks off the Detective Costeau line of thought.

What does passing that check actually give you, though?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Finished my 1/1/1/1 hardcore failcop run (final stats, thought cabinet). It was a bit less exciting than I'd hoped - you lose out on a lot of the skill dialogue, and the learning caps are a PITA early on - but somehow lucking into passing the karaoke check was so much sweeter

Lost my poo poo at the dialogue option you get for (final scene) collecting all of the guns

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

overeager overeater posted:

Lost my poo poo at the dialogue option you get for (final scene) collecting all of the guns

this is amazing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Scrree posted:

I'm playing through the game again with some people watching. I was hoping to fail to conceptualization check to come up with a cool name to Kim, but of course I passed it at 28% which apparently blocks off the Detective Costeau line of thought.

What does passing that check actually give you, though?

It doesn't give you a name right away but IIRC it starts a running bit over several conversations that leads you to Tequila Sunset even before talking to the drunks

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My new favorite check failure is not karaoke but instead Attempting to form a right-wing vigillante old guard group with Kim and I as Unit One: Ghost Dogs and Rene and Gaston as Unit Two: Royal Hounds because I failed miserably at convincing Gaston to yield his sandwich (twice)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The moment that really sold the game for me was a failed check early on. I attempted to sneak away from Garte after he demanded that I pay for my hotel room. Failing the check had me run away at full speed, turn, extend both middle fingers, and pause to go through several dialogue options that made it clear I was about to crash into Lena. Apparently you can die of a heart attack there, and I'm honestly not sure whether that would've been better than surviving and having to explain myself.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ultrafilter posted:

The moment that really sold the game for me was a failed check early on. I attempted to sneak away from Garte after he demanded that I pay for my hotel room. Failing the check had me run away at full speed, turn, extend both middle fingers, and pause to go through several dialogue options that made it clear I was about to crash into Lena. Apparently you can die of a heart attack there, and I'm honestly not sure whether that would've been better than surviving and having to explain myself.

That was the first thing I saw on my fuckup second playthrough and it really set the tone. Well, first thing I saw after dying in my room and reloading.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, failing that check in the lobby was what sold me on this game. I wasn't sure until I hit that then I was like "oh yeah, this is a game for me."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

EorayMel posted:

My new favorite check failure is not karaoke but instead Attempting to form a right-wing vigillante old guard group with Kim and I as Unit One: Ghost Dogs and Rene and Gaston as Unit Two: Royal Hounds because I failed miserably at convincing Gaston to yield his sandwich (twice)

holy poo poo

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

The fun thing about this failure is that it actually gives you a mechanical advantage because if you make a big deal about your "injuries" you can argue down the amount you owe for the hotel bill. It's a good early way to teach players that "failure" doesn't mean "worse".

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The fun thing about this failure is that it actually gives you a mechanical advantage because if you make a big deal about your "injuries" you can argue down the amount you owe for the hotel bill. It's a good early way to teach players that "failure" doesn't mean "worse".

Even better is that the "success" for that choice is just auto-jogging out the door while Garte goes "Oh, yeah man. Real mature dude!" You don't successfully do the thing ~cool disco thing~ that you fail at in the failure.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Roumba posted:

Even better is that the "success" for that choice is just auto-jogging out the door while Garte goes "Oh, yeah man. Real mature dude!" You don't successfully do the thing ~cool disco thing~ that you fail at in the failure.

You don't even actually go out the door, you just run behind a pillar, you can walk right back up to him, which I imagine fits several versions of Harry; getting away, hiding behind something and then realizing "poo poo, this actually does nothing"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Befriending Garte and building a mutual respect from both being present at the Tribunal felt like a major accomplishment to me, which made his final betrayal hurt so much more.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

christmas boots posted:

Befriending Garte and building a mutual respect from both being present at the Tribunal felt like a major accomplishment to me, which made his final betrayal hurt so much more.

Final betrayal? I don’t know if I remember this?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

Final betrayal? I don’t know if I remember this?

I don't remember what prompts it, but in the final conversation with your precinct you have the opportunity to yell in the general direction of the hotel that the "cafeteria manager" has betrayed you for the last time

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

christmas boots posted:

I loved the bit about both men nodding at each other

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

popewiles posted:

I loved the bit about both men nodding at each other

Make that three. The lieutenant is nodding too, hands crossed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

christmas boots posted:

I don't remember what prompts it, but in the final conversation with your precinct you have the opportunity to yell in the general direction of the hotel that the "cafeteria manager" has betrayed you for the last time

Heh, I took that as more of just them asking Garte where you were and he told them, and the game gives you an option to over react to it in a funny way. I never took it as an actual betrayal.

Does Garte still clean up the room after the shootout if you don't befriend him?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
lol no I know it's not an actual betrayal. It's just another level of the running thing where you can act like Garte's very reasonable actions and requests are a persecution of you personally. Like how you can be incredibly hostile to him when you pay the money you rightfully owe even if he's knocked it down by like 80%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
But, like, what IS money?