Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crafty posted:

My sentence is NO GOOD launch titles

Falconeer looks okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Crafty posted:

I did it, I got a pre-order series x.

I wanted it so i bought it and that's my statement judge stux, please be lenient.

you shall be denied entry into Stux’s ultimate world

and you have to quit Film Club

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Falconeer looks exactly like the last time Microsoft launched a new console and I bought the Panzer Dragoon knock off and it wasn't good and by god here I am again.

I also got Yakuza 7 which is a launch title on Series X but not PS5 for reasons that cause Era posters to melt down.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I'm so far behind on playing games that I could deal with years of drought and I'd be fine. I'm ashamed to say that I have let real life creep in the way of my gaming obligations, I aim to fix this for next gen.

Barudak posted:

I also got Yakuza 7 which is a launch title on Series X but not PS5 for reasons that cause Era posters to melt down.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Yakuza games but haven't played or even seen a single one. Maybe I should get Yakuza 6 to get prepped.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Crafty posted:

I'm so far behind on playing games that I could deal with years of drought and I'd be fine. I'm ashamed to say that I have let real life creep in the way of my gaming obligations, I aim to fix this for next gen.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Yakuza games but haven't played or even seen a single one. Maybe I should get Yakuza 6 to get prepped.

Start with 0.

The level of laughs with substories is quite high.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Crafty posted:

Start with Yakuza 0. You'll thank me later.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Good timing too, just got a notification for a yakuza free weekend!

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/01/yakuza-takes-over-free-play-days/

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Crafty posted:

I agree with everyone that you should start with 0. It's probably the best one so far.

I also think you could wait for 7. The story seems to be mostly unconnected and the gameplay is completely different but it seems to have the Yakuza vibe and impressions have been positive.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
That's great, I'll try zero out this weekend then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im super excited because my least favorite part of Yakuza games is the combat so having it replaced with RPG combat can only be a massive plus.

Also Kabukicho is a fun neighborhood I went to a ton before covid while Yokohama sucks powerfully so Im ready for a fantasy version of that.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Hopefully Y7 uses velocity architecture so we'd get 60FPS and minimal load times from Day 1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Adaptabullshit posted:

Hopefully Y7 uses velocity architecture so we'd get 60FPS and minimal load times from Day 1.

The game is noted as 60fps on the store page and the PS5 version, which we have seen but somehow isn't coming out yet, is also 60fps.

As for velocity architecture Im gonna guess its there but not as good as when games are actually built with it in mind because ultimately this is a port of a PS4 game so they aren't redesigning the game itself

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Does that upgrade 36 months of live to Game pass for £1 deal still work? Might take a look at that now I am a confirmed future Series X owner

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

Does that upgrade 36 months of live to Game pass for £1 deal still work? Might take a look at that now I am a confirmed future Series X owner

As far as I can tell, yes.

Also Yakuza 0,1,2 are all on gamepass

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Now that Doom Eternal is on GamePass I'm getting around to playing it and what the gently caress is going on with the story of this game. It feels like I've missed a whole game's worth of story between the last one and this one.

I played Doom 64 and that extra episode but to say that told a story is a gross exaggeration

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Akuma posted:

Now that Doom Eternal is on GamePass I'm getting around to playing it and what the gently caress is going on with the story of this game. It feels like I've missed a whole game's worth of story between the last one and this one.

Don't worry about it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Akuma posted:

I played Doom 64 and that extra episode but to say that told a story is a gross exaggeration

Just don't worry about it. Enjoy what you find enjoyable about it, ignore what you don't care about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

The storytelling in Eternal is some of the worst in gaming. The GAME, however, rips.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

The Official DOOM Instruction Manual posted:

The Story So Far

In DOOM, you're a space marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation. The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffering a small setback, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you only with a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No joke a significant part of Doom 5's story is told via a single recorded message in the stage you can just run past not listening to in the final level of the game.

The story is "Demons all have to die and they're stupid enough to think they can bribe you with a new bunny rabbit"

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Just don't worry about it. Enjoy what you find enjoyable about it, ignore what you don't care about.
Oh for sure, I do care about it though! I'm just surprised is all.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I just got this email regarding Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play:

quote:

It's a great time to be a gamer! Starting November 10, 2020, your EA Play membership will be included with your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership at no additional cost. We want to make this transition as easy as possible, so there's nothing you need to do. It's just that easy.

You'll continue to be able to play all the great games offered on EA Play, as well as enjoy in-game challenges and rewards, member-only content, and early trials of new EA games on Xbox One as well as the brand-new Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.

If you ever decide that you're only interested in EA Play and don't want to be a member of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate anymore, we're making that easy, too. All you need to do is cancel your Ultimate subscription and join EA Play again when your Ultimate membership ends. Your library of games, saved game progress, and earned member benefits will all be waiting for you when you come back.

If you've already paid for several months of EA Play in advance, we've still got you covered. On November 10, any remaining time you have over 50 days will be rounded up and automatically converted into bonus time on your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription at a ratio of 3:1.

Here are some examples of how it works:

If you have between 50 days and 3 months of EA Play already on your account when EA Play comes to Ultimate, you will have 1 month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate added to your account.
If you have between 4 months and 6 months of EA Play already on your account when EA Play comes to Ultimate, you will have 2 monthsof Xbox Game Pass Ultimate added to your account.

I think most of this was out there already except the exact conversion of EA Play to Game Pass Ultimate.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

drat I was hoping they would add the pro version to xbone now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wait, So if you have EA play it will automatically convert to game pass ultimate and cause you to lose time on your EA Play sub because gamepass is more expensive, and then you can wait until game pass expires and then get back on just EA Play? This sounds like they are stealing money from people who don't want gamepass.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, So if you have EA play it will automatically convert to game pass ultimate and cause you to lose time on your EA Play sub because gamepass is more expensive, and then you can wait until game pass expires and then get back on just EA Play? This sounds like they are stealing money from people who don't want gamepass.

I think conversion only happens if you have currently-active Game Pass Ultimate.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is star war squadron good or what

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

I think conversion only happens if you have currently-active Game Pass Ultimate.

This is correct.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Intel&Sebastian posted:

From what i've been hearing the gameplay is pretty good.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I just got 36 months of gamepass ultimate for £101 (3 years of Brazil codes activated through VPN + 1 month of ultimate at 10.99). I could have got it for £91 if i hadn't done the trial previously,

If this ain't livin' I don't know what is

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
A good feature that, hopefully, developers will actually use.

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1312144521774333952

The changes to the Xbox One's game management interface should make this simple to do from the user perspective.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zerot posted:

The changes to the Xbox One's game management interface should make this simple to do from the user perspective.

Answer me these riddles three, if you want your COD to only be MP

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I think you'll be fine with a USB drive to store stuff you're currently not actively playing on. I've never filled my external.

Downloading Yakuza 0 onto it now

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i hear that's a good game, keep us up to date on your escapades

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Doom eternal is not as good as doom 2016.

It's like a text book example of how to make a lazy sequel (by adding new movement mechanics and brighter colours!)

And yeah the story in doom 2016 wasn't flashy but it was enough. This just feels unfinished.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dunno how far you are into Doom 5 but it is significantly better in every way mechanically over Doom 5 once you have most of your tool kit at the end of Cultist Base 1. If you still don't like it at that point go ahead and quit, its not gonna change be anything from there but increasing escalation.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Zerot posted:

Please download disc 4 now......

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yeah, I read doom eternal is similar to character action so I'm hyped for the switch release. Need that gyro.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

it's real good

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Akuma posted:

They clearly cut large parts of the game because they ran out of time (or chopped it into DLC?). There's a section where you are handed a new type of gun and it's supposed to be when you get it for the first time. But you've had it for awhile at that point.

Would've been better to keep the story minimal than to do... whatever it is that Eternal did and failed at. It was sloppy/rushed/unfinished and detracted a bit from the game.

Excellent gameplay though. Rush the flaming meathook as soon as you get the super shotgun.

Laserface posted:

And yeah the story in doom 2016 wasn't flashy but it was enough. This just feels unfinished.

Agreed! ... but....

Laserface posted:

It's like a text book example of how to make a lazy sequel (by adding new movement mechanics and brighter colours!)

Out of curiosity, what could they have done for a sequel to Doom 2016 that would not qualify as a "lazy sequel"? Make it an RTS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Laserface posted:

Doom 2016 is the better game overall but hard disagree with all this