Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if it's relevant or just a coincidence, but the traps that jack made looked exactly like the snakes mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Lost, in space

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

acksplode posted:

The showrunner discussed this in an interview, he says that the difference is deliberate and it has something to do with Mother. https://collider.com/raised-by-wolves-finale-ending-explained-hbo-max/

Snakes impregnating humans results in lampreys, makes sense.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thats the theory of devolution baby

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

acksplode posted:

Thats the theory of devolution baby

Devolution is a mystery
Full of changes no-one sees
Clock makes a fool of history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXMOvMba2bM

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn1ybb637hA

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i don't know if i enjoyed this series, but i loved the performances of mother and father.

i would die for those milky robots

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 3, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

QuoProQuid posted:

i don't know if i enjoyed this series, but i loved the performances of mother and father.

same

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

QuoProQuid posted:

:same:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

i for one cannot wait to see the unveiling of space ragnar's next power level

Actually I had the least amount of interest in space ragnar in the finale. He's an obvious antagonist for the long haul but I just didn't give a poo poo about him. We need more android box cum scenes to make gifs out of.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

thread title please

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

ridley scott!!! please cut the bullshit and just make some scifi thats 100% robots

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Farm Frenzy posted:

ridley scott!!! please cut the bullshit and just make some scifi thats 100% Flying Lampreys

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dark Off posted:

Like its not xenomorph story, it should be story about androids struggling with raising kids in alien environment.

While there could be a good show made of this, this show is not it. All the stuff with the androids raising the kids was pretty bad this season. Im fine with the craziness, just roll with it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Farm Frenzy posted:

ridley scott!!! please cut the bullshit and just make some scifi thats 100% milk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bring back those milk mustache print advertisements, but with Mother and Father and the rest of the cast.

Also, a standalone ad featuring Space Snek and it says MILK: IT DOES A LAMPREY GOOD.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can we bottle and serve the android milkies

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i hope they cast tom hardy next season so he and travis fimmel can have a hallucinatory incomprehensible grunt-off

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think this show is a really good demonstration of the importance of drugs and if your kids ever get into not doing them you should force them to watch this show. Ridley Scott build an entire career and an enormous fortune from his DMT experiences from ca. 1977 and god knows what he would have done with his life otherwise. Probably make romcoms for 1 mio a piece like a total loser

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

What if "Don't go to the Tropical Zone!" was more along the lines of "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" from the Wizard of Oz?

What if the tropical zone is where all the existing proto-human civilization is, and Space Snek/Sol doesn't want anybody interacting with them for whatever reason?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think that was pretty much all but confirmed in the finale. At least the part about not going to the tropical zone being a direct result of persuasion.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

While there could be a good show made of this, this show is not it. All the stuff with the androids raising the kids was pretty bad this season. Im fine with the craziness, just roll with it.

there was clear themes at start of show.
conflict between religions, faith on both sides.
sci-fi exploration on themes of androids raising human children
android sentience and learning capacities.

all thrown away in favor of space snake and weirdo cult that make docahedrons with androids inside em. Its visually cool but i feel like its going to be bad for the plot.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

show is cool

space lamprey birthed from mother will reinherit kep 22b. clearly, the space lampreys are some kind of ancient gods.

ancient space lampreys taking neanderthals or proto-humans to kep 22b or vice versa in some kind of uplifting or planet seeding scheme is fine

i really don't think this is a time travel story in the way some of you are guessing. spacegnar is definitely concurrent with the cast. if time travel is a plot point it's a background element, not a primary focus. the cave paintings could easily have been done by our primitive kepler neanderthal people that mother and father just missed for 12 years due to programming oversights or whatever

thoughts:
if a tiny dodecahedron in a cave contains a dead silicon-life android reminiscent of mother and father, and mother gave birth to a tiny space lamprey that immediately grew massive...

then the massive dodecahedron in the desert surely contains a giant android (who may be dead or may be in standby or something- why was it so hot? there was a line about mother's abdomen being warm in the season finale) that has/had given birth to a giant space lamprey at some point like the ones that apparently just dived into and out of kep 22b's core for funsies that made all the massive holes

is kep 22b itself a giant computer?

i am... 75% sure from my geology education that despite the gravity and pressures involved the cores of planets do not tend to exist in a void. there's supposed to be an ocean of magma around the solid core.

i hope mary sue got treated by the atheists. i like her and her mullet.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 3, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That trip to the center of 22B must have taken hours. Maybe snek had the power to shield them from the heat?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

That trip to the center of 22B must have taken hours. Maybe snek had the power to shield them from the heat?

Presumably it has at least the same powers as mother in necromancer form, so that's plausible.

I wonder if the extinction of ancient sneks and the appearance of the Creatures is related. Maybe the sneks depended on intelligent life that they could manipulate telepathically for survival and the neanderthals had an evolutionary pressure to lose intelligence due to this. I'm assuming it's very hard to get a gorilla to worship you or build freaky android birthing chambers for reproduction

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wolfs posted:

show is cool
Agree, now that said, on what page of the thread were complaints handled about

- evolution being straight out of Star Trek Voyager Threshold, with humans "de"volving
- no conservation of energy(/mass), unless adult snek consists mostly of air

I quite enjoyed the overall Prometheus vibe of the show. I liked Prometheus!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Prometheus deserved a proper sequel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s magic who cares.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do people also go nuts watching Star Wars?

"The Force. How does that even work? You can't just lift things with your mind! Oh wait they explained it? Midocli-what? Wait no. I take it all back. Don't explain it it!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i think there’s something cool about having all of your characters believe they are vessels for something sacred, only for it to turn out they are being manipulated by a race of horrifying, telekinetic snake monsters whose motivates we are incapable of comprehending but i can’t help but feel

uhhhhhh

the implementation of that idea could have been handled better

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I still think the snake should have resembled an infant version of the ancient snakes and then my brain would have went "woah! The snakes are reborn! The snakes are important! This is interesting and gives me a lot to speculate on" and instead it was like "The snake is important! No, not those ones. this new one we made! See you next season"

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I mean maybe the flying lamprey looks different on the outside but has fun jaws like we saw in the fossils on the inside

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. I still think the snake should have resembled an infant version of the ancient snakes and then my brain would have went "woah! The snakes are reborn! The snakes are important! This is interesting and gives me a lot to speculate on" and instead it was like "The snake is important! No, not those ones. this new one we made! See you next season"
Couldn't it be like the way the Xenomorph works in Prometheus, where it becomes a hybrid of whatever it births from? Like maybe human androids produce a different snake child form.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Cingulate posted:

- no conservation of energy(/mass), unless adult snek consists mostly of air

We don't really know how much energy can be derived from fuel blood, Mother is capable of some pretty crazy stuff without other energy input for 12 years and then she feeds the baby like 8 androids worth of the stuff

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

pile of brown posted:

We don't really know how much energy can be derived from fuel blood, Mother is capable of some pretty crazy stuff without other energy input for 12 years and then she feeds the baby like 8 androids worth of the stuff

Maybe the dark photons are a fission and fusion reactor that can turn any atom into any other atom

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

its all powered by magic really. thats the twist religious science and atheist science cant fight magic :colbert:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

yessss title change

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dark Off posted:

there was clear themes at start of show.
conflict between religions, faith on both sides.
sci-fi exploration on themes of androids raising human children
android sentience and learning capacities.

all thrown away in favor of space snake and weirdo cult that make docahedrons with androids inside em. Its visually cool but i feel like its going to be bad for the plot.

Yeah I thought on it since the finale and I sort of miss how this show started. It would have been cool to keep things slow instead of going all out nuts... however I also love how crazy this show gets

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i thought the atheist changeling's descent into a mad tyrant/messiah was incredibly well done. at no point does it seem unreasonable that this ordinary dude's grasp on reality would start to slip as he gets lucky a few times and a group of fundies are constantly massaging his ego with a bedtime story.

on the other hand, i thought it was INCREDIBLY contrived that the second rapist guy gets an edge over his captors, he beelines right for tempest and tries to rape her AGAIN instead of incapacitating the others / working on removing his restraints.

i guess you could argue he was all roided up from the milk, but like... i was still processing that android milk jacks humans up (??) right up until his head got crushed to even consider that. this was not foreshadowed at all, and makes no sense out of that one very specific context. that whole scene just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

God Hole posted:

i thought the atheist changeling's descent into a mad tyrant/messiah was incredibly well done. at no point does it seem unreasonable that this ordinary dude's grasp on reality would start to slip as he gets lucky a few times and a group of fundies are constantly massaging his ego with a bedtime story.

on the other hand, i thought it was INCREDIBLY contrived that the second rapist guy gets an edge over his captors, he beelines right for tempest and tries to rape her AGAIN instead of incapacitating the others / working on removing his restraints.

i guess you could argue he was all roided up from the milk, but like... i was still processing that android milk jacks humans up (??) right up until his head got crushed to even consider that. this was not foreshadowed at all, and makes no sense out of that one very specific context. that whole scene just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sol told him to do it, just like on the ship :v: