Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

I died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Vid isn't loading, what is it?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

A fatal case of butthurt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

colonelwest posted:

Lol yeah, I’m also going to make the bold prediction that we’ll be able to fly around a fully functioning Idris with multi-crew mechanics in a Starfield mod, before any of that exists in Star Citizen.

Hahahahahahahaha this is definitely true

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

CIG spent several years to make custom tools to build in an easier way their universe (planetary tech, building block, etc).
If the tools are powerful enough, this partnership might be just giving to Turbulent an access to their internal tools. For me it's just a step forward the industrialization of system's creation.

quote:

Which situation ?
The 'supposed' tools will be used in house AND by contractors. CIG want to multiply the creative teams and that's what they do. More parralel teams on same work with same tools = faster delivery of systems.

quote:

I have no evidence. We don't know exactly how many persons work on creating planets inside/outside of CIG. My guess is CIG will increase them at a given time and the fact that Turbulent have a team dedicated to it now can be a sign that the "given time" is now.

quote:

Yes. And building solid tools to control all those metrics when you work with contractors is one way to avoid those problems. And that's what CIG do since several years. The Illfonic fail should have taught them the hard way how to work with contractors.

Dear friend, you teach me nothing about those laws (Brooks, Hofstadter, Peter's principle, etc). I started to code 35 years ago, hard to miss them when you are a coder. The Brooks law is about late project, not overdue projects that doesn't care about deadlines (talking for SC only). Re-read the law.

Parallelization works when the tools are solid and the teams are competent. A simple example : the tool (minecraft) + the guideline (Game of Throne documentation) + hundred people and you get WesterosCraft.

quote:

I agree with you on all you say.
The main difference between us is that you see CIG as a completely incompetent company which is unable to learn from its mistakes. I do not.
Another difference is I suspect CIG of making a game engine instead of a making a game. But I have no proof of that too.

quote:

I don't know one game company that can push deadlines at will for several years. So they effectively manage the project in a way never been done before and they don't care about some common rules of managment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen's Alex Jones rants about :reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_myAO6STE

Lol he calls out Beet by name, congrats dude

:sad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:perfect:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

peter gabriel posted:

It’s a Chris deepfake thing channeling the laughing Spanish guy meme. Just him caught in one long wheezy laugh. Is good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen's Alex Jones rants about :reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_myAO6STE

Pop filter, wind muff… any bet that he also has a foam screen and the mic has a built-in filter just to make sure none of that indoors wind ruins the sound of his perfect voice?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

finally we see why its so important to have toilets in the verse

explosive diarrhea can be dangerous

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

I get some sleep, sort of.
There's part of the problem right there, the white noise works well for a lot of people but when I take my hearing aids out to go to sleep I can't hear poo poo :lol: So I can't use that technique!

:glomp:

Reading the Wing Commander book restored Ben's vision.

Perhaps listening to the audiobook version of Wing Commander will restore your hearing.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
(serious question) Did they actually mo-cap a commando making GBS threads himself to death? Or is that just another bug?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Bumble He posted:

explosive diarrhea can be dangerous

I was expecting a sandworm to pop out, because Chris saw Alien once.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

JugbandDude posted:

(serious question) Did they actually mo-cap a commando making GBS threads himself to death? Or is that just another bug?

As Chris himself taught us: the answer to all questions is “yes”.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
shart citizen

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

uhhh ahi! uhh ermm

:lmao:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HardtofindGrimAnnelid-mobile.mp4

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

:hmbol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

What is the worst thing you have been called for supporting Star Citizen? posted:

Hello everybody!

So i was reading another thread here on reddit and a person praised CR as "Praise Lord Chris" for something. A fun thing we all do sometime when we recieve good news about the behemoth project that is Star Citizen. In my org we usually say "There are no bugs in Star Citizen" as soon as someone mentions a bug in the game. It all sounds a little like a cult but we do it for shits and giggles.

But what have you heard or what response have you got from people when you talk about SC or maybe comment on a thread on a website or forum? Or maybe you have a fun saying when talking about SC, mention that too.

The worst thing i was called were a Robertsologists (Roberts + Scientologists). I took it with stride though and usually use it for humor.

quote:

That is not my intention at all. Besides, everyone can see this thread.

But i think we can both agree that the hate for SC is strong among people who just follow the popular narrative. Morphologis made a video about this. https://youtu.be/Ot6leaD7UPo

Star Citizen and CIG really do warrant some criticism, as long as it's valid criticism and not just name calling people who actually play it and has some sort of knowledge about it's development and doesn't just compare it to a AAA studio who had the infrastructure, staff and money from day one and doesn't have to show something to the public for the first three years.

quote:

Let's find out.

I have spent over $2,500 on UEC alone, my goal being 10 Million UEC ($10,000). I spent more on In Game Currency, that isn't even out yet, for a Game, that also isn't even out, than many people reading these forums spent on their PC.

I also plan on Soloing my 890j. Do your worst.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Is tu!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dooguk posted:

When anyone mentions Ortwin , I automatically think of Gríma Wormtongue.

That's Sandi's job

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The ghost of pgabz past

STARFARER HAS BRIDGE PICTURE WITH NAKED PEOPLE USED AS REFLECITON

quote:

look at reflection

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So playing Star Wars in VR something hit me, there are multiple reasons why chris can never, ever make a game this good or fun but the main one is this:
The sounds, being inside an X Wing, the music, the ship designs - this is what makes it special - and because wing commando was always just chris stealing Star Wars and changing just enough to not get sued he can never ever create that experience.
It's like Star Wars finally gets to stick 2 fingers up at the shitlord who stole from them for decades and I love it

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Star Citizen: Among Us

Hey! Just had an idea, maybe it already been posted here and I missed it. I really enjoy the popular game "Among Us". And have been wondering, what if SC could somehow make a mode based on the gameplay of that game, but on our in game ships? Carrack, 890j, 600i, HH, Reclaimer, Cat, they all would be great platforms for this type of game, we have all the needed mechanics (apart from repairing the modules).

For me it would be far more fun then another FPS mode (I understand what they are made for, but I don't find them entertaining for me).

In case somebody doesn't know what Among Us is:

From wiki: "The goal for the Crewmates is to identify the Impostors, eliminate them, and complete tasks around the map; the Impostors' goal is to covertly sabotage and kill the Crewmates before they complete all their tasks. Through a plurality vote, players believed to be Impostors may be removed from the game. If all Impostors are eliminated or all tasks are completed, the Crewmates win; if there are an equal number of Impostors and Crewmates, or if a critical sabotage goes unresolved, the Impostors win."

:allears:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen: Among Us

All players join and the goal is to salute each other until the game crashes, if the game doesn't crash we play for an extra minute until it does or an extra five minutes while we figure out what went wrong

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

DigitalPenny posted:

Did monster - the energy drink just sue some up and comming game like monster hunter 3 for using the word monster... The legal fitness aside that leaves me with no hope for humanity

They didn't like the name of Ubisofts new game Gods and Monsters

https://www.vg247.com/2020/09/15/gods-and-monsters-name-change-trademark-monster-energy/

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

:five:

Wormtongue Sandi is best Sandi. :peanut:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Star Citizen: Among Us

Hey! Just had an idea, maybe it already been posted here and I missed it. I really enjoy the popular game "Among Us". And have been wondering, what if SC could somehow make a mode based on the gameplay of that game, but on our in game ships? Carrack, 890j, 600i, HH, Reclaimer, Cat, they all would be great platforms for this type of game, we have all the needed mechanics (apart from repairing the modules).

Yeah, poo poo why not? They've done great so far at completing things, what's one more item.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

So playing Star Wars in VR something hit me, there are multiple reasons why chris can never, ever make a game this good or fun but the main one is this:
The sounds, being inside an X Wing, the music, the ship designs - this is what makes it special - and because wing commando was always just chris stealing Star Wars and changing just enough to not get sued he can never ever create that experience.
It's like Star Wars finally gets to stick 2 fingers up at the shitlord who stole from them for decades and I love it

All the SC streamers are playing it tonight. Cap’n Richard, Astropub, Mitauchi, Baron and Twerk (earlier.)

They’re having a great time. It works. It has a skill curve. It’s beautiful. It’s VR. It’s “I wanna be a Star Wars flyboy in space!” Nobody cares about loading screens. Nobody cares about short cuts made. Nobody cares about any of the bullcrap Chris pretends is so singularly special and ambitious about his Star Wars knockoff boondoggle.

It’s fun. It’s immersive. It’s as close as they’d want to get to being “a hotshot pilot” making their way around an immersive verse. And once they’re done — whether that’s days or weeks from now — they’ll once again turn their attentions and streams to the endless waiting game that is “supporting Star Citizen / Squadron 42.” Only now they’ll be burdened with yet another frame of reference against which Chris’s games — should they ever release — will be judged against and found wanting. They’re professional chumps by now, weary and sometimes bitter about it, but to the chumping they must return. And sadly will.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

All the SC streamers are playing it tonight. Cap’n Richard, Astropub, Mitauchi, Baron and Twerk (earlier.)

They’re having a great time. It works. It has a skill curve. It’s beautiful. It’s VR. It’s “I wanna be a Star Wars flyboy in space!” Nobody cares about loading screens. Nobody cares about short cuts made. Nobody cares about any of the bullcrap Chris pretends is so singularly special and ambitious about his Star Wars knockoff boondoggle.

It’s fun. It’s immersive. It’s as close as they’d want to get to being “a hotshot pilot” making their way around an immersive verse. And once they’re done — whether that’s days or weeks from now — they’ll once again turn their attentions and streams to the endless waiting game that is “supporting Star Citizen / Squadron 42.” Only now they’ll be burdened with yet another frame of reference against which Chris’s games — should they ever release — will be judged against and found wanting. They’re professional chumps by now, weary and sometimes bitter about it, but to the chumping they must return. And sadly will.

That's good to hear really
It does everything pingu has been peacocking about for years with such ease and grace.
The cockpits put SCs to loving shame - as do all the other assets, the lighting is stunning, the fighting is streamlined and fun.
Compared to SCs nightmare of keybindings it's incredible, intuitive and just a blast to play. It has cinematic grandiosity in spades and a great cheesy sci fi plotline too.
EA (the plucky indies who have no owner, just like CI±G) have actually done what chris can't - made a wing commando sequel :lol:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I personally love it that cig hasn't been able to release anything remotely playable or resembling their promises here's 10k words why

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

G0RF posted:

does it have hotdogs and wankpods? didn't think so, FUDster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

G0RF posted:

The best part is Squadrons (lol I just realized the name is even similar to S42) wasn't like some massive EA project. This isn't like their biggest AAA game of the year; not even remotely close. This feels like a smaller team knocked it out pretty fast, probably a couple years development tops.

EA can do more in 2 years and a couple dozen employees than CIG can with 8 years and 300 million dollars.

The level of incompetence it shows is just hilarious. If CIG was even remotely trying to actually develop a game in good faith then Arena Commander should have played like Squadrons 5 years ago. Even if you're making an MMO afterwards.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It feels like a big gently caress u from EA is what it feels like, a bit like that CoD in space did.
I'm not saying the whole projects were driven by this, but I can't help feel the initial ideas may have been, chris's chest puffing about other game devs not being able to do what he is doing may be coming home to roost, and that's funny
Especially with Star Wars as chris has stolen that wholesale for decades and made millions off it

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
for real though, I've been playing the poo poo out of it and it's great. I suck horribly even with a HOTAS!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

The level of incompetence it shows is just hilarious. If CIG was even remotely trying to actually develop a game in good faith then Arena Commander should have played like Squadrons 5 years ago. Even if you're making an MMO afterwards.

They can't do it, it's that simple.
The fish rots from the head so they say and the head of CI_G is a creatively bankrupt, static, micromanaging idiot - His idea of what's awesome is actually very poo poo and nothing will change that.
I see free games on steam all the time made by young, dynamic devs that absolutely drip with charisma and fun, chris is the antithesis of that, he's stale, dull and void of original ideas, if you showed him a really fun game he'd probably get a bit freaked out because it's too wacky or some poo poo
The game was doomed to mediocrity the moment it was born

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

They can't do it, it's that simple.
The fish rots from the head so they say and the head of CI_G is a creatively bankrupt, static, micromanaging idiot - His idea of what's awesome is actually very poo poo and nothing will change that.
I see free games on steam all the time made by young, dynamic devs that absolutely drip with charisma and fun, chris is the antithesis of that, he's stale, dull and void of original ideas, if you showed him a really fun game he'd probably get a bit freaked out because it's too wacky or some poo poo
The game was doomed to mediocrity the moment it was born

Yeah, they fundamentally lack the knowledge and skills needed to design, manage, and develop a modern videogame.

Its just been Chris Roberts using the off-the-shelf Crysis engine to make really pretty mock-up renders, followed by the lies of "this is all in game, and we're building more"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What chris does is this, this is his creativity...

Can I steal this idea from Start Wars, Alien, Bladerunner or Promethius? No, OK then well...

Need a spaceport - make it look like existing space station we have irl
Need a refuelling ship - Make it look like an oil tanker
Need a cargo ship - make it look like a truck
Need an offroad vehicle - make it look like that thing in halo
Need a small attack ship - make it look like an apache helicopter
Need another - make it look like an F15
Need a tank - Well, here is a tank
Spacesuit? spacesuit

Then stuff like the shops, buildings, it's just so loving generic and backwards looking, zero imagination, do people in the future really still eat pizza? why? What about some mad system where people can use a device to harvest vitamins or something? anything.
The first planet we ever saw - Jupiter in all but name

There is no spark there and there never ever can be because chris doesn't want that he wants Top Gun and all the tired cliches that come with it.

The game is trapped, this is a guy who has been given 100% free reign to really flex his sci fi muscles and for the alien ship he gives us a generic thing with fold down wings, like wtf, can't the aliens have balls of plasma or precious minerals as ships, some hosed up cybernetic animal space ship, anything that isn't this dull poo poo?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Yus. It kind of feels, to me anyway, like saying that I am disabled and I don't like it. I feel competent and I already have to go through life feeling like a lesser person and somebody of a brain-challenged individual at times to random people at a cash register or drive through line. I'd say part of it is that I fought hard to not be stupid, and have a college degree, etc. I pretty much refuse to be looked down upon by anybody. So it's a challenge at times but it's one I'm more than willing to do. Covid has definitely added multiple layers of complication there, but in response to it I just have stopped going out a lot also.

Yes, but what about spiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

What chris does is this, this is his creativity...

Can I steal this idea from Start Wars, Alien, Bladerunner or Promethius? No, OK then well...

There is no spark there and there never ever can be because chris doesn't want that he wants Top Gun and all the tired cliches that come with it.

The game is trapped, this is a guy who has been given 100% free reign to really flex his sci fi muscles and for the alien ship he gives us a generic thing with fold down wings, like wtf, can't the aliens have balls of plasma or precious minerals as ships, some hosed up cybernetic animal space ship, anything that isn't this dull poo poo?

Yeah. He says "I always dreamed of being a hotshot pilot like Luke Skywalker" but the "like" isn't true. He literally wants to be Skywalker. He wants to be Lucas. And he doesn't care / can't come up with his own replacements, just knockoffs.

If Roberts was put in charge we'd just end up with The Force Awakens but Rey would be a boy, like literally going through the motions just rehashing everything that's been done with zero new ideas.

I wish youtube had a good clip of that part of the Wing Commander movie where its U-boats in space and they all have to stay quiet or else the enemy sub will detect them. Its that moment where Richard Garriott explains space to Roberts but even worse.