Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This thread was readable for almost an entire day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GD_American posted:

Another second with you not on ignore?

cis bigots have such fragile little egos.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Miss Broccoli posted:

cis bigots have such fragile little egos.

Thank you so much. Thank you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gaius Marius posted:

:yikes:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gaius Marius posted:

Can't wait to see what kind of shithead posters season 3 attracts when it gets the not-Scientology steamroller going

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

god loving drat it

i just want to read theories and thoughts on The Boys

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of going "Ya know, this episode really isn't that gory" about halfway through it. I was pondering getting something to eat, even.

Boy I was wrong.

As far as the ending goes, I'm guessing Homelander was looking around just wondering what the gently caress was happening. He had no clue what was going on. You could see that in his expression.

We got a name for Frenchie finally!

Also, I loved this https://www.instagram.com/p/CF0Z8keJedE/?igshid=wfiyiggcsp85 (not a spoiler for this episode)

Man next week is gonna be a hell of an episode.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

sponges posted:

This thread is like a honeypot for awful people

But then... why am I here?

Fake e: oh...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sarcastro posted:

Anyway, Mounds is superior because it has a more uniform texture and because dark chocolate is the one true chocolate.

Facts.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I made the mistake of going "Ya know, this episode really isn't that gory" about halfway through it. I was pondering getting something to eat, even.

I jumped about a foot off the couch at the first pop

If it was Cindy, does that mean shes sitting at a bar somewhere making funny faces at the news?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does homelanders suit have the fake muscles or is that outfit supposed to be skin tight?

My next question is that if the outfit is skin tight, is it awkward to wear?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Miss Broccoli posted:

him being a nazi, anger

him being a massive transphobe....... deafening silence amidst people celebrating Frenchie being bi specifically for being into trans women. Aka, also transphobia, in which goons openly state they consider trans women to be Men Actually. Respectfully, you are the one that needs to gently caress off.

Didn't he get probed and then threadbanned for the transphobia post?

He's been threadbanned. He isn't coming back in here. I don't think anyone here has ever said anything more to defend him than "well, maybe he's just a massive idiot or a troll instead of a nazi" which is not exactly glowing praise. We all hated the guy and celebrated him being kicked out so I don't know what else is there for us to do?

Oh, but if you want to yell at the person talking about hating Becca because she's a female character who acts reasonably and doesn't want her son to be raised by a sex criminal/mass murderer, then go for it. 100% behind you there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just realized that, whoever the mystery head popper is, they are OBVIOUSLY a pringles fan, because once they pop, they just can't stop :haw:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Are we spoilering speculation?

I am pretty sure Captain Cranium-Clap is our friend Stormfront who seemed unusually calm about all of this and also seemed to have popped a supe at the hearing, which would play into the whole ~immigrant terrys killed everyone: give me more power~ narrative. I notice that Not-AOC survived, so she'll probably be a scapegoat somehow...

Anecdotally, the first one we saw happened when they were getting info on Stormfront, so another point towards her imo. :psyboom:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I 100% expected Stormfront to fry Becca the moment Homelander and their kid flew off.

I hope the season ends with Becca injecting V and going to town on Stormfront. Though, at this rate, it's going to be the entire female cast.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Open Source Idiom posted:

I 100% expected Stormfront to fry Becca the moment Homelander and their kid flew off.

I hope the season ends with Becca injecting V and going to town on Stormfront. Though, at this rate, it's going to be the entire female cast.

All female cast while Huey watches from the couch. :gooncamp:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tenzarin posted:

Does homelanders suit have the fake muscles or is that outfit supposed to be skin tight?

Fake is both funny and kind of follows "superhero science." I've actually wondered this about Superman: if you are arbitrarily strong and indestructible, how would you do the resistance training to develop tone? Nothing could cause you to exert yourself enough to do it, and even if there was something you had to struggle to life it wouldn't cause micro-tears in your muscles to rebuild it would seem IMO.

I thought the end was actually going to give us some parliamentary courtroom drama so it devolving into random head asplosions elicited a chuckle.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I guess Karl Urbans was tired of being upstaged by Anthony Starr. Does the Boys have there strong cast on TV right now? I can't think of anyone on the show who isn't turning in at least solid performance.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Didn't he get probed and then threadbanned for the transphobia post?

He's been threadbanned. He isn't coming back in here. I don't think anyone here has ever said anything more to defend him than "well, maybe he's just a massive idiot or a troll instead of a nazi" which is not exactly glowing praise. We all hated the guy and celebrated him being kicked out so I don't know what else is there for us to do?

Oh, but if you want to yell at the person talking about hating Becca because she's a female character who acts reasonably and doesn't want her son to be raised by a sex criminal/mass murderer, then go for it. 100% behind you there.

I am pretty sure that is what pushed it over the edge, though I am hesitant to think it is worth discussing further. Especially since we have got to the point where disagreeing with the way someone brought it up now gets you labelled a bigot. I'll concede they weren't very nice about it, I think most posters are pretty sick of any mention of He Who Shall Not Be Named purely because of how long he skated the edge of a probe so I wouldn't expect a warm reception when you bring the subject up again. The poster could have just talked about the joke again and why they found it problematic instead of going on about the poster and their view on the rest of the posters here "standing by him".

It's fair enough that the poster that just caught up was frustrated/annoyed by what He Who Shall Not Be Named posts that you wanted to say it's good he's gone but the whole delivery of it was just counter-productive. Especially considering we have been asked to drop all mention of him so the thread can have less derails.

I do not dislike Becca, I just think the people that dislike her struggle to see her perspective about why she stayed. I do not think it is fair to put the people that dislike her on the same level as Skyler haters though. Becca choose to stay in the grasp of what the viewer sees as an extremely evil corporation and allows them to exert some form of influence over a second version of Homelander. Even if she is there to try and counter it like she said, the kid is still going to have a pretty messed up childhood and worldview that all her efforts might just be for naught. It is fair to dislike her choice, but I think the character herself is great. Skyler was trying to get away from the equivalent of a criminal drug lord and wanted to keep her and her family safe. I don't think it's worth talking about the Ted thing.

Edit: Spelling and explosion theory:

I think it's probably the Church like some other posters have said, they link back to Stormfront; unless she was just making a purity reference to A-Train.

It seemed like a nice way to garner some goodwill with Vought while also freeing up a space in the Seven, if we assume they're like Scientology where they have a huge information network.

The only reason I doubt it's Stormfront is because it might piss Homelander off if she's still hiding something from him and both of them seem quite perplexed about what's going on around them; neither of them look scared though. Plus you can't have a guy that looks like a more evil version of Hugh Jackman not pop off at the end of the series.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 3, 2020

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

Fake is both funny and kind of follows "superhero science." I've actually wondered this about Superman: if you are arbitrarily strong and indestructible, how would you do the resistance training to develop tone? Nothing could cause you to exert yourself enough to do it, and even if there was something you had to struggle to life it wouldn't cause micro-tears in your muscles to rebuild it would seem IMO.

Superman gets big muscles by way of the same magic that lets him defy every other law of physics

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think in the 80s reboot the idea was he was genetically engineered on krypton to be the perfect embodiment of a kryptonian, hence being ripped without really needing to exercise.

Or it could just be that whatever anatomy he has isn't dependent on the same technique humans have for muscular builds.

It'd be god damned hilarious if Homelander got his suit ripped off in a giant explosion and it's just skinny Starr standing there like "What? It was bulletproof padding, otherwise I'd end up naked every time someone took a shot at me..."

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really hyped for a Stormfront/Maeve fight because I do genuinely believe Maeve is the second strongest supe after Homelander, at least when it comes to strength and durability. When she stops the armoured van she jumps a couple storeys, runs on a wall (rip physics) and then smashes throught the truck without recoiling at all. None of the other supes have shown such indifference to damage. BN/Stormfront/Starlight all recoil/struggle where Maeve so far has been like the scene in the bar in Man of Steel, standing and ignoring hits. Plus she fuckin manhandled BN

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Force lightning may be her ace in the hole since she zapped at least 6 supes to death at that facility and it stands to reason anyone with that power set could easily keep an adversary at arms length.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Superman's body just ends up ripped on its own because it's super-efficient, was an interesting discussion in CineD that he may not even have to eat as long as he's within yellow sun radiation. (Of course, he still does so out of habit and because he enjoys it. Especially since he can get Chinese takeout from China)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I kinda want the head exploder to be an ant-man style supe doing the fly up people’s noses and pop them thing.

AlternateAccount posted:

Homelander’s motives are inscrutable and inconsistent and just end up driven by the exceptionally hamfisted allegory of Mr America seduced by a Nazi because I guess she puts out or something.

To make an on the nose comparison he’s Trump. He doesent have much inner life beyond wanting to be loved by all and he’s easily steered towards fascism despite probably not being a true believer because it aligns well with his narcissism. If it’s hard to see depth on him it’s just as a side effect of being not that deep a person.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 3, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Force lightning may be her ace in the hole since she zapped at least 6 supes to death at that facility and it stands to reason anyone with that power set could easily keep an adversary at arms length.

Except Starlight.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

My list of Supes responsible for the hearing incident:

1. Cindy. I know, she feels like a red herring, but... the way she was shown to be staring through the security camera at the asylum, as if she was aware of the crew's presence (there's extended shots between her and Kimiko). This would explain how she could've done her trick remotely in the first episode - she can 'see' through video feeds, even if they're one-way and someone (likely Stormfront) weaponized her. If Cindy is responsible, she likely acted alone by watching the hearing somewhere and got triggered into a rampage when she saw Vogelbaum.
2. Alastair - The head of the Church. If he is a Supe then that does bring into question the need for the whole cult thing - clearly he could be conquering the world in uniform and be far more effective at it.
3. Stormfront - She's a century-old sorceress who can not only electrocute people but also fly (which appears to be a rare power). Blowing people's brains up might be yet another power she's been keeping up her sleeve.
4. Edgar - He's all-in on Vought. If he has psionic powers then he'd be the prime suspect for sabotaging the hearing, with the added bonus of being able to spin it as a terror attack and increasing his influence over government.
5. Carol. Heck, why not - we know she's manipulative, her having actual mind powers would fit - risky as hell but this would be one way to hasten the re-acceptance of A-Train and/or The Deep into the Seven. And if it doesn't work, whatever - still creates a chaotic power vacuum they might be able to leverage.
6. Fresca - Can't beat that sweet, refreshing taste.

I think it's possible that both Edgar and Alastair are much older than they appear, just like Stormfront. She used to be part of the Church, meaning that she knows Alastair (or whoever the original founder was) and Edgar seems to know an awful lot about Vought's secret history.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

My money is on Edgar, because everyone seemed to lose their head around him (huhuhuh) when the existence of Compound V was made public, whereas he was just chill af. If that's not a metaphor in retrospect I don't know what is.

Cindy obviously has a part to play in the finale since she was in the recap, but I think it's too obvious that it's her, or at least her alone. I could buy that she is under the thrall of Edgar, like Noir is (was? :() and that somehow she can do it remotely, but she just has a similar looking power I think. Head explosions seem to be very specific.

I'm still trying to understand why Shockwave was killed. It does show that supes are valid targets too, but it doesn't make much sense as he wasn't against Vought. It could be as simple as the Church guy getting him out of the picture to restore A-Train, but I dunno... that feels predictable too.

Do we think Black Noir is a goner? We didn't see him stop moving, but at the same time Maeve seemed pretty chill in the hearing for someone who would've been outed by Black Noir had he lived.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It'd be quite the spin to turn that shitshow into something other than "Vaught sabotaged the hearing".

Tenzarin posted:

It's both. You can see the padding when he lifts his arms above his head, and somebody in the thread mentioned the actor said it's really tight.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Durzel posted:

I'm still trying to understand why Shockwave was killed. It does show that supes are valid targets too, but it doesn't make much sense as he wasn't against Vought. It could be as simple as the Church guy getting him out of the picture to restore A-Train, but I dunno... that feels predictable too.

Lowest value member of the Seven, but a high tier supe that helps Vought claim "we all got hit". See also, choice other Vought types like Ashley (who is actually currently really high ranking as the head of 99) being fine but her assistant popped.

No way Stormfront is jazzed about Shockwave being gone because it means that A-Train has an angle back in

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Lowest value member of the Seven, but a high tier supe that helps Vought claim "we all got hit". See also, choice other Vought types like Ashley (who is actually currently really high ranking as the head of 99) being fine but her assistant popped.

No way Stormfront is jazzed about Shockwave being gone because it means that A-Train has an angle back in
Good points well made.

As a complete aside, and I’m sure this point has been made already, but I loved the instant behavioural change Ashley had when Maeve asked her to “be a human for once”. The actress really knocked it out of the park. Of course it does cement her whole “banality of evil” thing even more, but still.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

itry posted:

It'd be quite the spin to turn that shitshow into something other than "Vaught sabotaged the hearing".

It's both. You can see the padding when he lifts his arms above his head, and somebody in the thread mentioned the actor said it's really tight.

That's what I've been thinking, it's going to be really hard to sell "supe terrorists have head-asplodey powers, we need to let Vought do anything they want" over "a hearing on Vought's creation of super powers was stopped when someone with super powers killed the main witness and multiple congresspeople." I really don't think Vought will be able to spin this to their benefit, but I could be wrong.

Also Maeve was at the hearing and Black Noir wasn't. That's worrying. Maybe there will be new Black Noir wearing the same costume, and they just cycle out the guy underneath it when one bites the dust like Soldier Boy in the comics.

E: VVV it's a job requirement

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 3, 2020

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be funny if all the noirs hated almond joy

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

moist turtleneck posted:

It'd be funny if all the noirs hated almond joy

Then they have good opinions on candy bars

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/Am1ZgNw.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/1rL0R3N.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
oh yeah and another homelander says a smart thing but is dissuaded by his peers and mentors

https://i.imgur.com/3eZRDVC.gifv

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

oh yeah and another homelander says a smart thing but is dissuaded by his peers and mentors

https://i.imgur.com/3eZRDVC.gifv

That instantly reminded me of the scene in GoT when Joffrey made some good suggestions like the King should have his own army rather than rely on his vassals and Tywin instantly shot him down.

Love the gifs :swoon:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bringing in Shawn Ashmore was great casting decision and he was really great even though it was just a few episodes before his character went in "set every room" fire alarm off sort of way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That instantly reminded me of the scene in GoT when Joffrey made some good suggestions like the King should have his own army rather than rely on his vassals and Tywin instantly shot him down.

Love the gifs :swoon:

Game of Thrones with superheroes instead of royalty explains so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i always liked in the comic that homelander was huge. like space marine sized. even maeve was giant compared to regular people i think.

BN will probably be back. though his regen not being able to help against his allergies is funny.