Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm really fascinated by the idea of more wood buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was gonna say that doesn't sound very eco-friendly. But I was thinking of the cement and concrete usage and the CO2 it generates.

Yeah encapsulated energy/CO2 is obviously relevant. There is no more concrete used than for any other type of building though I think.

It’s just a pointless waste of heavy, bulky materials that don’t have the functional properties you need for a house - they still need insulating, and there’s no wall space for it to go in.

They’re eco friendly for the UK, by virtue of having any insulation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Steel frame and reinforced concrete homes/buildings have lower resale value here because they're usually specific use (ex: clinic with an apartment on top) and harder to renovate/expand.
New construction is wood, except for apartment towers. You can get cement fiber siding and wallpaper that looks like reinforced concrete.

https://www.kmew.co.jp/jirei/jirei_list.jsp?search=ture&seriesCDGaiheki=90&gaihekiHinmei=%91%C5%82%BF%82%C1%95%FA%82%B5%92%B215

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Steel frame and reinforced concrete homes/buildings have lower resale value here because they're usually specific use (ex: clinic with an apartment on top) and harder to renovate/expand.
New construction is wood, except for apartment towers. You can get cement fiber siding and wallpaper that looks like reinforced concrete.

https://www.kmew.co.jp/jirei/jirei_list.jsp?search=ture&seriesCDGaiheki=90&gaihekiHinmei=%91%C5%82%BF%82%C1%95%FA%82%B5%92%B215

You also seem to treat stick built buildings as disposable there so......yeah. Bit of a different mindset.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That's the problem with stick construction. The mindset.

"Eh, this board is a little twisted, the drywall and paint guys can figure it out."

"Oh the customer can just renovate it later"

*every nail they place with the gun misses the stud*

stick construction makes it easier for a hungover crew full of barely functional people to build a structure, gently caress up half of it, and still walk away from a "successful project*"

*please ignore the eight page punchlist

vs concrete, where everybody knows they have one shot on this pour. Don't gently caress it up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

vs concrete, where everybody knows they have one shot on this pour. Don't gently caress it up.

lol seriously? Have you never seen the depth of just how bad prep and rebar goes for concrete jobs that end up looking good enough (if the finishers have just enough but not too much beer to straighten themselves out) and then ends up a mess in under 10 years?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Really. How many videos have been posted showing thee most regrettable concrete fails

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

stick construction makes it easier for a hungover crew full of barely functional people to build a structure, gently caress up half of it, and still walk away from a "successful project*"

Sunshine post that mp4 of a construction worker in Brazil "leveling" a brick block wall using beer.

I gotta hand it to stick construction that it at least it looks faster to bring up something that is house shaped. My mom hired a person and their crew to bring up her 1-story 2-bedroom farm house, and it took multiple years to get that done using cinder blocks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pre-cut lumber frames, subfloor, and subroof are assembled in one day :japan:

https://youtu.be/dC-FDP9uxSo

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That is legitimately impressive.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

corgski posted:

That is legitimately impressive.

Prefab panels, trusses, and framing members are getting more and more popular specifically because labor is getting expensive, and CNC lumber machines are getting cheaper.

Japan takes it to the next level with the mortise and tenon construction style.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

HardDiskD posted:

it took multiple years to get that done using cinder blocks.
pikawaaaa.mpg

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our house was built this way. You can see some pics in the first pages of home spergin/haunted home zone. We cooked a big dinner for the crew that night.
Search 建前 for lots of 1-day frame construction. Dreamy ninja boot carpenters :swoon:

Here's some CAD spergin from a local company.
https://sanno-web.com/woodframe/precut/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
All those precut custom joints are amazing...and I have to think that in the US they'd inevitably get mixed up and you'd have mortises facing the wrong way or loose, sloppy joints because one board was put in wrong and then errors propagated throughout the structure with workers just shaving down tenons wherever necessary to get things to combine.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

peanut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4oGCPGXz4

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Prefab panels, trusses, and framing members are getting more and more popular specifically because labor is getting expensive, and CNC lumber machines are getting cheaper.

Japan takes it to the next level with the mortise and tenon construction style.

The Fall 2008 season of This Old House showed the full construction of a factory-built house. Definitely worth a watch if you have some way to access it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
There’s a new estate being built nearish me by the developer urbansplash, which actually has a good reputation for converting old industrial areas.

All the houses are prefabbed, one piece per floor. Brought in and assembled on site, so only the foundation is there in advance.

It’s weird to see them appear so quickly.

https://www.urbansplash.co.uk/blog/modular-in-2019

Of course, being the UK, some of them are now being given a brick facade.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

So what is the overall environmental impact of having knock-down and rebuild every decade or so be the norm? How does it stack against building really durable stuff that you're then kind of stuck with when needs change.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there wolf posted:

So what is the overall environmental impact of having knock-down and rebuild every decade or so be the norm? How does it stack against building really durable stuff that you're then kind of stuck with when needs change.

idk how well super built to last houses would do with typhoons and earthquakes and poo poo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ganonline_/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

I still kind of like the DOOM bathroom

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Piss Meridian posted:

I still kind of like the DOOM bathroom

If you're ripping and tearing on the shitter, you're doing it wrong.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

Lol it's not every decade. Maybe every-other generation.
Old, beautiful, solid houses still exist and are preserved. (This says built in 1988?!)
https://www.seiko-h.jp/es/sale/2105114581440000000982?f=%2Fcyuko.html

But in my granparent's generation, many people lived in flimsy duplexes, often owned by their employer. Some have showers in a separate concrete block shack next to the house, or no bath at all.
https://www.seiko-h.jp/es/sale/2105114581440000000966?f=%2Fcyuko.html

Here's a whole block of old company houses in my town. The company closed in 1978 and the employees are still there.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/bwwdtJakAFwQft1t8

Or people bought a 2-room house in the '50s and expanded it over the years to create a dark, uncomfortable mass of dead-end halls and low doorways.
https://www.seiko-h.jp/es/sale/2105114581440000002030?f=%2Fcyuko.html

Or boomers built big nice houses, but their kids and grandkids live in Tokyo.
https://www.seiko-h.jp/es/sale/2105114581440000002151?f=%2Fcyuko.html

Used homes https://www.seiko-h.jp/cyuko.html
Rentals https://suumo.jp/jj/common/ichiran/JJ901FC004/?ar=070&ta=38&sc=38205

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DUDE, Grover is the leader of the free world!?!?!?!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

god it's even worse than I remember

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peanut posted:

Lol it's not every decade. Maybe every-other generation.

Obviously, yeah. The Grudge wouldn't have made any sense at all if it was abnormal for 'used' houses to be lived in by new families.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The unpredictable tiles that don't exactly line up the way they rightfully should are kinda like a metaphor for the entire year in general.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

MRC48B posted:

"Eh, this board is a little twisted, the drywall and paint guys can figure it out."

There's always something weird when houses are stick built. They have a lot of leeway for your own method. If it's non-load bearing, who cares. I've added interior walls with electrical to code. I even bother to put protectors over the wires that go through the wall so no-one can drill through a wire. I mount securely to the floor and ceiling. In the basement, I drive nails into the concrete with a powder actuated driver. I put king studs on every door no matter what and cripples over the top even though the cripples are not necessary at all.. I use heavier drywall than necessary. I obsessively make my junction boxes and outlets look pretty.

So there's my problem. I over-build. You can easily go the other way. For some, they have a different plan. Trim nails? gently caress that, that's work. PL200 is good enough for me. A toilet that should have a tall wax ring? gently caress it, the new owners won't notice for a few months and I'll be long gone or in jail. Giant voids in the electrical panel to the outside that I can stick a finger through? Fucki it. It's summer and the mice won't start coming inside until I'm gone, declared bankruptcy, then made up a new name for my company.

Stick built can go both ways. My great grandfather built his house with his own to hands back in about 1916. He ordered it from Sears. It still stands strong. My parents house was built in about 1910 from big tamarack logs. It still stands strong. However, the editions on their place were done by a drunken idiot. One side had to be completely torn off. The other side should have been torn off but it's kind of OK.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

MRC48B posted:

There's always something weird when houses are stick built. They have a lot of leeway for your own method. If it's non-load bearing, who cares. I've added interior walls with electrical to code. I even bother to put protectors over the wires that go through the wall so no-one can drill through a wire. I mount securely to the floor and ceiling. In the basement, I drive nails into the concrete with a powder actuated driver. I put king studs on every door no matter what and cripples over the top even though the cripples are not necessary at all.. I use heavier drywall than necessary. I obsessively make my junction boxes and outlets look pretty.

So there's my problem. I over-build. You can easily go the other way. For some, they have a different plan. Trim nails? gently caress that, that's work. PL200 is good enough for me. A toilet that should have a tall wax ring? gently caress it, the new owners won't notice for a few months and I'll be long gone or in jail. Giant voids in the electrical panel to the outside that I can stick a finger through? Fucki it. It's summer and the mice won't start coming inside until I'm gone, declared bankruptcy, then made up a new name for my company.

Stick built can go both ways. My great grandfather built his house with his own to hands back in about 1916. He ordered it from Sears. It still stands strong. My parents house was built in about 1910 from big tamarack logs. It still stands strong. However, the editions on their place were done by a drunken idiot. One side had to be completely torn off. The other side should have been torn off but it's kind of OK.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Over-engineered redundant posts

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I dont think you could pre-fab 1 day build those houses over here in CA. The codes over here are really really strict about what sort of joist hangars, what sort of wood to wood connections, etc. there are.

It's funny because Japan has more earthquakes than CA.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

mostlygray posted:

My great grandfather built his house with his own to hands back in about 1916. He ordered it from Sears. It still stands strong.

Kate from McMansion Hell did a really great article on kit houses. I wonder if my parents' house is a pattern book or kit house, because it's the right age, in a streetcar suburb, it's a Craftsman style American Foursquare, and there are four houses in a row all built exactly the same (although 100 years of renovations have made them a bit different now).

There are a lot of streets around here (Midtown/South Kansas City) where the same house will be built over and over. I grew up in a JC Nichols neighborhood that was constructed wholesale from the ground up (and specifically "barred Negroes", ick), so I can only assume it was part of their practice, but I haven't been able to find if they used a pattern book or kits or anything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Kate from McMansion Hell did a really great article on kit houses. I wonder if my parents' house is a pattern book or kit house, because it's the right age, in a streetcar suburb, it's a Craftsman style American Foursquare, and there are four houses in a row all built exactly the same (although 100 years of renovations have made them a bit different now).

Sounds like tract housing, where a developer will build out a suburb/neighborhood using the same few plans with little variance. Sometimes they will mirror the plans so you get some houses that look "reversed" in layout.

It really took off in the 40s when housing demand went through the roof. Developers could build houses faster and cheaper if they adhered to a common plan and building materials for every house. These aren't so much kit houses as much as a developer having set a standard style for their projects.

Kits are more like what you can buy through Menards, Lowes or Home Depot. They sell the plans and all the materials as a single package. It's then on you to provide the land and builders. I think house kits were originally sold by Sears as mail order during the push into the US West. You'd send in a catalog number and wire money, and a month or so later the plans and all the materials would arrive by rail.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Proteus Jones posted:

Sounds like tract housing, where a developer will build out a suburb/neighborhood using the same few plans with little variance. Sometimes they will mirror the plans so you get some houses that look "reversed" in layout.

It really took off in the 40s when housing demand went through the roof. Developers could build houses faster and cheaper if they adhered to a common plan and building materials for every house. These aren't so much kit houses as much as a developer having set a standard style for their projects.

Kits are more like what you can buy through Menards, Lowes or Home Depot. They sell the plans and all the materials as a single package. It's then on you to provide the land and builders. I think house kits were originally sold by Sears as mail order during the push into the US West. You'd send in a catalog number and wire money, and a month or so later the plans and all the materials would arrive by rail.

you should read the article, tbqh

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I grew up on a street that was half pre WWII and half post WWII. The pre half was what you would expect from 1920s/30s housing. The post half was two houses repeated in a pattern of ranch and two-story down the rest of the street. Staggered so a ranch was always across the street from a two story. Same floor plans, same house, for all I know when they were built in 1947, they were all the same color. At least by the 80s there was different paint and siding on them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's obvious if you didn't even read the intro. Highly recommend reading the whole thing if you're interested in the topic

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some good stuff in here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/XYB3YVk

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Eh, I've seen some similar tile in commercial kitchens where the tile was raised for grip. It didn't really work because the raised parts still got grease on them. Still, these upside down tiles don't shed water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Their also not sealed/glazed on the back side, so will absorb water. I guess it depends on what the actual material is, I guess.