Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm starting to see a strong anti-authority/KTM ownership correlation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
*wheelies past the mods on a superduke*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shelvocke posted:

I'm starting to see a strong anti-authority/KTM ownership correlation

Everyone: buy a good bike

Ktm owners: NO gently caress YOU DAD

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone: buy a good bike

Ktm owners: NO gently caress YOU DAD

:hmmyes:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

gently caress the police

*buys hitler bikes*

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ready To Jam

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:laffo:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Or, you know, you could just follow the rules, or bitch about them in an appropriate venue which sure isn’t this thread.

Take it up in QCS if it bugs you that much

Sorry to rant in the ranting thread sweetheart

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you were ranting about motorcycles and not general forum rules (which is a thing to do in QCS) that would be ok

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you were ranting about motorcycles and not general forum rules (which is a thing to do in QCS) that would be ok

I actually said that my motorcycle is the tits but I'll stop bitching and dicking around in this thread

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are glocks the ktm of pistols?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Are glocks the ktm of pistols?

The brand started in Austria, but the similarities largely end there. They're pretty goddamned reliable and they don't do new whiz-bang features "just because".

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
since ktms are reputed to be so unreliable, i should start looking for a SXV 550 i guess instead of a 690

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Would it be a monumentally bad idea to get a 690 Duke?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

since ktms are reputed to be so unreliable, i should start looking for a SXV 550 i guess instead of a 690

I really want an SXV 550, partially for the challenge, and partially because even if it shits the bed, I can throw a Ninja 650 motor in it or whatever the hot swap is

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really want an SXV 550, partially for the challenge, and partially because even if it shits the bed, I can throw a Ninja 650 motor in it or whatever the hot swap is

If you can track down the Akra exhaust for one it sounds loving amazing - no obnoxious braaap, just straight up nasty growl while you wheelie down the street. Almost enough to make an SXV project worth it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

excuse me?!

Coredump posted:

I always thought the duke was a hampered supermoto. Like that engine and brakes and whatever, but you can't ride offroad and jump curbs.

Plus I think thumpers in streetbikes is hella weird.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Coredump posted:

Yes. I had mine (2013 model) for 80KKm, and the needed rebuilds, gas tank (they die after about 5 years and will ruin the fuel pump and injectors) etc was in total a little above a third of the price i paid for the bike when it was new. They are really fun to drive, but never touch one that isn't covered by the factory warranty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

excuse me?!

Yeah, you can get them real cheap sometimes and you can just put a good Japanese engine in them and still enjoy the nice brakes and suspension

Best of both worlds

Also, I know my posting persona and all but I really like how the sxv’s look

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sure it's possible to swap something in but there's no way you'll get a ninja 650 engine to fit, the bike is more on the scale of a vtr250.

My personal dream combo: sxv frame+ NSR250 engine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are people who have done the ninja 650 motor already, so it works somehow.

Now I’m thinking SV650 motor

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

helstein posted:

Yes. I had mine (2013 model) for 80KKm, and the needed rebuilds, gas tank (they die after about 5 years and will ruin the fuel pump and injectors) etc was in total a little above a third of the price i paid for the bike when it was new. They are really fun to drive, but never touch one that isn't covered by the factory warranty.

What happened that you needed rebuilds? I had 2 major engine failures on a 2015 model but I got rid of it at 20k.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'm sure it's possible to swap something in but there's no way you'll get a ninja 650 engine to fit, the bike is more on the scale of a vtr250.

My personal dream combo: sxv frame+ NSR250 engine.

Putting a smaller two-stroke engine in a frame designed for a larger four-stroke - you've invented the backwards SZR and are officially crazier than 90s Yamaha Italia.

Also why wouldn't you go for the RGV250/RS250 if you're going for insane engine swaps?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having an unfortunate amount of experience with both, I'd take the nsr every time. A tiny handful of extra horses don't make up for power valves that self-destruct by design and other questionable design choices; I've never seen any kind of engine problem on an NSR.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm starting to see a lot more of those Lambo SUV monstrosities too and they seem to behave the same.
From a few pages back, but make sure you remind anyone you see driving one of these that they paid $200k+ for a tarted up VW Touareg.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are people who have done the ninja 650 motor already, so it works somehow.

Now I’m thinking SV650 motor

Didn't know this was a thing either but the internet confirms it. Looking at the SXV frame I don't think anything other than a very small vtwin would fit, the frame is very narrow at the rear.

The question is, without the SXV550 motor and its soul (cough), does the rest of the bike warrant that much conversion work when in the end you're turning it into a ptwin?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SV1K conversion :getin:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

A light weight higher output single would make much more sense in spirit and in function than any of the v/p twin options given so far.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Perhaps something around 690cc?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know how it would weigh compared to the original engine put output is pretty much the same. I'd be most concerned with weight and where it is worn on the bike so I'd learn towards a lighter 450/500 engine that might make a little less power but will feel much nicer. Plus you can always make more power, shedding weight is much harder.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cr500.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, CR500 :ms:

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

High Protein posted:

What happened that you needed rebuilds? I had 2 major engine failures on a 2015 model but I got rid of it at 20k.

Valve lifters. The lovely bearings they use have a tendency to just disintegrate. Those are a known fault, but the gas tank crap is another level of FU to owners keeping the bike after the warranty expires.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll never forget how KTM used gas cap orings on the 690 that degraded in contact with gasoline.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

helstein posted:

Valve lifters. The lovely bearings they use have a tendency to just disintegrate. Those are a known fault, but the gas tank crap is another level of FU to owners keeping the bike after the warranty expires.

In addition to this there's the piston rings that only sometimes do their job, the idle/throttle setup is a disaster, the pcv is a joke that makes harley's system look high-tech, the instrument cluster that isn't really waterproof, the insane gear position indicator/side stand safety system that's tied into the engine management, the exhaust is a bathtub designed to catch draining oil, and:

Coydog posted:

gas cap orings that degraded in contact with gasoline.

Non-standard size o-rings, just as an extra fuckyou.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

helstein posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same gas tank crap you're talking about, but some Euro manufacturers (BMW, Ducati are the two I know of) use Acerbis for their plastic tanks, and Acerbis has yet to make one that can deal with ethanol blends without swelling. If you don't line the tank when the bike's brand new or religiously use non-ethanol fuel only (impossible in large swathes of the US), your bodywork doesn't fit right after the first year or two of ownership. The gas cap ring on my Multistrada sits about 1.5cm above the tank cover (should be flush with it) and the GS has drat near 1cm panel gaps between the top tank panel and the sides. Ridiculous levels of bullshit for $20k+ bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Plastic tanks are a great example of the underlying philosophies governing bike design.

A German engineer looks at a plastic tank and sees invaluable weight savings of as much as hundreds of grams! A japanese engineer looks at a plastic tank and sees the potential for absolute disaster in exchange for a few hundred grams.

It's a pattern that repeats over and over and over with every aspect of bikes, but it's really hard to explain to people (especially internet STEM dorks) that a bike can be bad philosophically, and that it's possible to infer general trends based on philosophical underpinnings without needing to know about metal fatigue or mean time to failure or whatever else.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Guy I worked with had an 848 with a plastic tank with some kind of cream colored liner in it, apparently applied at factory or dealer or something. I'm only familiar with one tank liner that is that color, it's called Kreem and it's not designed to adhere to plastic as far as I know. And this liner was either applied slightly wrong (it was applied on top of rubber vent lines inside the tank, which would make it impossible to ever repair those rubber lines if they have issues, AND was not covering all surfaces) or was peeling off and caused a leak. Why not just make a plastic that is alcohol-resistant? Doesn't the entirety of the American continent use varying degrees of ethanol? I'm not saying I like it but it's not a fringe thing.
But look at all the grams of weight savings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Ethanol resistance plastic is for proles, you can tell because it's on the bottom and not the top shelf