Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I could quit spending money on the forums any time I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think we can all agree that it’s ethically indefensible to purchase video games created by companies who put out gacha games as well.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I hope my point didn't come across as "if you have a gambling problem then just power through and play the game anyway you weakling". That was absolutely not what I was trying to say. More along the point of I kind of wish more people looked at gacha games beyond their gachaness and saw if they were like, good games, with design and mechanics and cleverness and such.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That said, if you're strongly morally opposed to supporting a predatory monetization model, it's totally fair to be a hard pass on gachas regardless of quality, because even if you never spend a cent, player engagement is still a kind of support.

(Insert that one Sonic image here, I guess)

E: I guess if you think about it, staying completely f2p actually costs the company money, so it could be argued that the optimally moral course of action is to play the game, but never tell anyone about it

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 30, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
With any gatcha game it's not even a remotely smart idea to play it for at least 6-12 months once the whales have hit it and someone has dug into the code to see if the listed drop rates are true or if the company is lying about it and has some devil algorithm that will make sure someone gets a legendary at certain intervals based on user data for when spending starts to decline.

I'd have more respect for the game if they just went "$50 for all 5* gear for your character" like you can play for free to see if you like it (like a demo) and then just pay the $50 for the "full game", but that defeats the entire point of the whales spending $1k+ each on the gambling aspect.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

nrook posted:

I think we can all agree that it’s ethically indefensible to purchase video games created by companies who put out gacha games as well.

*Scans thread for newest regdate*

Ah well it wasn’t a good point I was going to make anyway

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Motto posted:

Bold take that zelda should've never been made, but I respect it.

I definitely can remember when Zeldas creator, Mr. Nintendo-San, just ripped off old Atari RPGs and added big anime titties and gambling to create the original LoZ.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, the titties didn't come around until a couple games later to be fair.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

nrook posted:

dang

*looks at FEH, Dragalia and Pokemon Masters, tosses switch out the window*

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Aithon posted:

dang

*looks at FEH, Dragalia and Pokemon Masters, tosses switch out the window*

:thejoke:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

nrook posted:

So... don't buy Nintendo?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Loucks posted:

I could have quoted the post I was replying to, but that was less “compulsive gamblers don’t exist” and more “why would an entire thread turn into whales for a ftp game?” Or maybe gambling addiction is way more prevalent than I expect.

I’d read it as: at the start, not every poster in the thread is a whale or whale inclined, but the gatcha ratchet eventually drives out the non-whales, or the non whales stop posting

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pentyne posted:

With any gatcha game it's not even a remotely smart idea to play it for at least 6-12 months once the whales have hit it and someone has dug into the code to see if the listed drop rates are true or if the company is lying about it and has some devil algorithm that will make sure someone gets a legendary at certain intervals based on user data for when spending starts to decline.

This is actually illegal. Like, any f2p game with gacha elements made anywhere in Asia has to be 100% honest about drop rates because all those countries have regulations stating so.

PCjr sidecar posted:

I’d read it as: at the start, not every poster in the thread is a whale or whale inclined, but the gatcha ratchet eventually drives out the non-whales, or the non whales stop posting

It helps that it's straight up not true. If a game is not-whale friendly it tends to stay that way and games that aren't don't get big threads here on SA anyways.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Is there some kind of Japanese writing trope going on with Linkle? The whole "I'm too stupid to read a map but I keep showing up where I'm needed anyway" is a strange way to do a character.

I like her, especially since her moveset is just making GBS threads bombs and arrows with more bombs that have arrows tied to yet more bombs that are of course shooting arrows but wtf.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I can think of a character in One Piece and a character in Ranma that fulfill that stereotype, so probably.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is there some kind of Japanese writing trope going on with Linkle? The whole "I'm too stupid to read a map but I keep showing up where I'm needed anyway" is a strange way to do a character.

I like her, especially since her moveset is just making GBS threads bombs and arrows with more bombs that have arrows tied to yet more bombs that are of course shooting arrows but wtf.

I thought she was following a magic compass.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Dumb ditzy girl isn't a Japanese thing but they do use it a lot.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

a few nights ago I had a weird dream where someone told me Zelda 2 on NES was meant to be a co-op game ("2 zeldas!") but because of memory limitations they could only get one player working, and that's why the game is so hard because it's balanced around two players.

I know it was just a dumb dream but now I kinda wanna see something like that. maybe I should just make it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://kotaku.com/genshin-impact-is-more-than-a-breath-of-the-wild-clone-1845232653

Kotaku goes to bat for it. They say it rips off borrows the musical queues from BOTW also.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

a bit off topic but: i know you probably didn't really mean much by this phrasing but i think it's always important to make the distinction that this isn't the official seal of approval of kotaku. it's the opinion of Ari Notis, kotaku employee.

if this seems obvious, well good, it should, but still i see a whole lot of people in tyool 2020 doing stuff like posting two contradicting articles from the same website as some kind of irrefutable proof that the site is trash garbage

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Immortals Fenyx Rising is another game that seems like it could be interesting. It's basically a cartoony mix of Assassin's Creed Odyssey (it's a Ubisoft game) and Breath of the Wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pFNvO_fWDU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Genshin Impact is hours of actually free single player fun and well made. It also doesn't cost $60+$20 DLC years after release. It's possible to like a game's gameplay and dislike its monetization.

I agree it could use its own thread.

E: vv Thanks! Totally missed it.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 1, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There IS a Genshin thread, friends.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

didn't exist last time i looked (or when i posted about the game here lol), thanks for pointing it out!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Wretched hive of scum and waifus

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That thread is like watching gatcha addiction develop in real time. Already people talking about rerolling or worrying about being able to get holiday themes exclusives.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I understand why people spend money in multiplayer gachas -- because you're constantly sizing up other players. What I don't understand is how those mechanics still tempt people in a single player game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve been there. They game will start off without any real requirement to spend money. Then after about a month or two, they’ll add a dungeon that’s hard but still beatable with normal units. But they’ll also start adding in the mega rare gacha drop units that can wreck the dungeon or boss. They’ll be a .5% chance of them dropping per single gacha roll. And on and on and on the cycle will go. If you play every day and do daily missions, you’ll earn just enough in game currency to get a good drop once every month or two. That drop will be good for 2-3 months before enemy/dungeon creep makes it obsolete and they add new units to the gacha. Wash rinse repeat until you get so pissed off at not being able to quickly beat new content, you buy something from the cash store on sale for $1 or maybe $5. I’ll only do it this once. Then next month there’s another sale that was better then last month and hey what’s another $5. That’s a Starbucks drink, no big deal. Next thing you know your dropping $100 a month. It’s so easy to fall down this hole.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, I don't like free-to-play and gacha games more or less on principle. Once I purchase a game, the game's focus should be on giving me a fun or otherwise worthwhile time. If it doesn't, I'll probably have less confidence in that game company in the future. In free-to-play games, I feel like every aspect of the game is built around making the player have almost enough fun, and make them feel like they'd be satisfied if they just spent a couple more bucks.

I'm sure some players can enjoy these games without paying a cent, but the whole setup just feels exploitative.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 1, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I'd probably be tempted to give it a spin just to run around in a BotW lookalike for a bit, if my pile of good, non-F2P games to play wasn't large and growing by the day. (This includes an eventual replay of BotW itself, someday :sweatdrop:)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don’t want to poo poo up the Zelda thread anymore than I already have, but I’ll say one last thing then leave it be. These games are designed around encouraging you to form or join a community of other players. They want you to show off your gacha rolls to others and brag. There’s gonna be that one free to play goon who always get the best rolls every time and then posts about how he wrecks the boss. Then you roll the gacha and fail to get your unit so you drop money in the store to try again. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius had a friend unit you could share with others. It’s designed to make you jealous of what others have so you keep hitting the gacha till you get one too. I’ve read that Genshin Impact has co-op, so it’s likely going to be similar. Look at this goon with an awesome unit that you don’t have, now go spend money in the store till you get it too. Then will come the “time limited” units. Halloween with have your favorite characters in the gacha but with pumpkin costumes or witch outfits, etc. They’ll only be available for a week or two and if you don’t win, they’re gone for good. Then comes Christmas, Thanksgiving, Chinese New Year, Easter bunny, Summer Beach outifts, or maybe they’ll just make up an in game holiday. It never ends and you can never get them all until you start whaling out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate some FTP games like PUBG or Hearthstone because I have friends in other places who are poor and can play those games with me without having to buy a console and high speed internet

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

The Bloop posted:

I appreciate some FTP games like PUBG or Hearthstone because I have friends in other places who are poor and can play those games with me without having to buy a console and high speed internet

"When I provide free games to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor cannot afford games, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I used to like playing PUBG on my phone but now I only play WORST LINKS MASTER QUEST and boy do I have a bad episode of that coming soon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Why die to randos in PUBG when you can die to your own stupidity in BotW

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I used to like playing PUBG on my phone but now I only play WORST LINKS MASTER QUEST and boy do I have a bad episode of that coming soon.

:yum:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
which link is the most badass?

It's not wind waker link

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hyrule Warriors Link, with BOTW Link a close second.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

which link is the most badass?

It's not wind waker link

Wrong, it is Wind Waker Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's definitely Windwaker Link