Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

Okay let's talk the oxo coffee maker for a second, because I have it and my wife and both haatttee it. It makes fine coffee, even very good coffee, but living with it is a chore. The fucker drips everywhere, the carafe drips everywhere, grinds get in the water tank. It feels like it punishes you for the pleasure of drinking coffee. We bought a moccamaster for my mother-in-law that I like much better.

weird i've never had grinds get in my water tank and only had minor dripping from the basket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I too have the OXO and I agree with you. It sucks to live with. I think we got ours cheapish? Like $90 back when the SCA criteria was new and there were only a few options, and most of those were expensive.

I doubt if I would buy the OXO again but even with the hassle it makes good coffee and it's worked fine for years now.

Edit: I've gotten grinds in the water tank but I assume that was my fault probably from using an not well cleaned carafe to fill the tank with. It does drip a lot and also petty much anything upsets the clock and it has to be reset.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah OXO had a really good one with a separate hot water thing but they discontinued that. Technivorm Moccamaster is the gold standard but it's also 300 box. Find something with a shower head style water dispenser that gets the water up to temp and holds it while it brews.

For a grinder, get a remanufactured Baratza.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Also the moccamaster is not at all automatic. You even need to close the valve to steep and stir a little bit and then release it before it overflows. My dad has one and it makes great coffee but you are committing to more work if you get one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The bonavita with the shower heads and non attachable baskets are nice but they discontinued the one I have and love. A small 24 oz max brew but you can throw a chemex or other thing under there too. Cheap too. All the current ones use the not #4 filters though and imo that's a deal breaker.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I drink a lot of coffee and have this one. I usually grind the beans just before bed the night before and it's absolutely great.

We have the same one and have used it every day for the last 2 years or so with no issues, would recommend. It also goes on sale often enough that you should be able to get it for $70 or so if it's not an emergency.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Since we are on coffee chat, is there a “best” style/brand/model of those pour over coffee drippers that look like a cone on top of a saucer? I don’t drink coffee, but my wife does, and I want to get her one to use for iced coffee, etc. I was going to get her a Chemex, but our house is crazy tiny and cabinet/counter space is incredibly limited.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Subjunctive posted:

Blend more aggressively?

And then push through a mesh strainer or food mill.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

1redflag posted:

Since we are on coffee chat, is there a “best” style/brand/model of those pour over coffee drippers that look like a cone on top of a saucer? I don’t drink coffee, but my wife does, and I want to get her one to use for iced coffee, etc. I was going to get her a Chemex, but our house is crazy tiny and cabinet/counter space is incredibly limited.

I don't know the best but I have the Clever and would recommend it.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I drink a lot of coffee and have this one. I usually grind the beans just before bed the night before and it's absolutely great.

I have a similar model, and had another one for about 10 year before the current one, and I have to say I'll always buy this Cuisinart over and over again. Yeah, no grinder, but I have a great grinder, and don't care that much about a 1/2 dozen hours waiting in the machine till the morning (and lately we've been using pre ground cheap stuff on week days).

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

therobit posted:

Also the moccamaster is not at all automatic. You even need to close the valve to steep and stir a little bit and then release it before it overflows. My dad has one and it makes great coffee but you are committing to more work if you get one.

You definitely don't have to steep anything. Smart plug and now you have auto moccamaster but honestly it's 6 mins to brew amazing pot of 10 cups

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

wormil posted:

I don't know the best but I have the Clever and would recommend it.

The clever is good. So is the Haribo glass cone thing.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

M2tt posted:

We have the same one and have used it every day for the last 2 years or so with no issues, would recommend. It also goes on sale often enough that you should be able to get it for $70 or so if it's not an emergency.

Ended up ordering this one with a 20% coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

therobit posted:

The clever is good. So is the Haribo glass cone thing.

The clever one looks neat, but seems like it would be a bitch to hand wash effectively. Confirm/deny?

Also, I’m assuming you didn’t mean haribo the gummy bear company right?

E. Google showed me you meant Hario

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

1redflag posted:

The clever one looks neat, but seems like it would be a bitch to hand wash effectively. Confirm/deny?

The one I had (it broke, but I have kids and it was their fault, not a defect in manufacturing) the bottom part with the plug would pull out and off so cleaning it was easy.

LOL apparently my autocorrect is aware of how fat I am.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

therobit posted:

The one I had (it broke, but I have kids and it was their fault, not a defect in manufacturing) the bottom part with the plug would pull out and off so cleaning it was easy.

LOL apparently my autocorrect is aware of how fat I am.

:hfive:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have a small and large clever dripper and highly approve of it for single cup use

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

1redflag posted:

Hario if you don’t mind getting special filters, clever or melitta if you want to be able to pick up filters at the supermarket. The clever has a valve that closes while the coffee brews, while the melitta has a smaller hole that restricts flow. I haven’t actually used a melitta cone but it’s allegedly the lowest effort for passable results. Hario has a big hole that requires you to manage the rate you pour to get the best tasting coffee, which may or may not be more effort than your wife wants to put in.

Side note: i left my first clever dripper in iraq, and when i tried to get a replacement off amazon I got a very poor quality knockoff. Just something to be aware of.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I have basically stopped ordering anything popular that would be possible to do a knock off of on Amazon. I've been burned too many times.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
To offer my 2c on coffee making, I have an aeropress and it pulls wonderful flavour out of the coffee, I also have a coffee machine because I'm lazy but if I wasn't so lazy I would use the aeropress exclusively because it tastes so much better.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'll use my clever dripper till the day I die

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

I watched a video of a professional chef seasoning a steel pan by heating it on the stove, wipe with oil, heat, wipe, heat, wipe, etc. No baking, each coat went pretty fast. He recommended 30 coats.

This is basically me with a wok. It gets up to 700-800° and burns off oil constantly and every time I cook with it I’m adding more seasoning on constantly

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

1redflag posted:

It's about as hard to clean as the basket of most auto-drip machines. I can't say I hand wash either one of these things often on account of the ridges and unremovable gaskets, just run hot water through them after use, and every once in a while do a puro caff or bleach water soak (no idea if this is technically safe for the rubber gaskets)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

1redflag posted:

Going to be honest, I only wash it about once a week and just rinse after every use but as someone already said it comes apart easily.

Has anyone used the Oxo drip?
https://smile.amazon.com/OXO-Single-Coffee-Dripper-Auto-Drip/dp/B01ENK41Q6

My wife is going out of town for an extended business trip and is taking the Clever so I'm going to order something I haven't tried.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I rinse my clever dripper after use and dishwasher it once a week. The bottom pops off super easy, it takes 2 seconds.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

wormil posted:

Going to be honest, I only wash it about once a week and just rinse after every use but as someone already said it comes apart easily.

Has anyone used the Oxo drip?
https://smile.amazon.com/OXO-Single-Coffee-Dripper-Auto-Drip/dp/B01ENK41Q6

My wife is going out of town for an extended business trip and is taking the Clever so I'm going to order something I haven't tried.

I have the oxo drip for use at work. It's fine. It's like a foolproof Melitta dripper. The really tiny holes in the reservoir get easily clogged with mineral deposits.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

NomNomNom posted:

I have the oxo drip for use at work. It's fine. It's like a foolproof Melitta dripper. The really tiny holes in the reservoir get easily clogged with mineral deposits.

Citric acid is good for that, I keep some in a spray bottle. It removes dingy grey hard water deposits and heat tint left on stainless by dishwashers just by spraying and rinsing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How much citric acid in how much water

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

I've tried 1 and 2 TB per cup and didn't see much difference.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I've got pretty hard water and so end up cleaning out a lot of poo poo with citric acid and I always just eyeball it. It's not like you're going to destroy rubber seals or etch metal by accidentally adding too much.

I've never done it with a coffee brewer, but I'd guess I use ~1-2 Tbsp in my 3-litre Zojirushi water boiler, and that cleans out all the buildup.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Don't suppose you folks would know where I could get a lid that would fit a 10-inch Calphalon classic fry pan? I've got a 12-inch skillet that has one but sometimes that's just too big for the task at hand.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Vic 5" chef's knife is $14.49 on Amazon, close to it's all time low of $14.40 in 2009.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QCLEFC/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wormil posted:

The Vic 5" chef's knife is $14.49 on Amazon, close to it's all time low of $14.40 in 2009.

Ohhh read this as 6" and got really excited for a minute. Would've bought a buuuunch for stocking stuffings.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have the 6in one and dont really care for it, my wife uses it because she's intimidated by the 8" one

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BraveUlysses posted:

i have the 6in one and dont really care for it, my wife uses it because she's intimidated by the 8" one

My wife used to be intimidated by the 8 incher but she's grown to like it.

I was actually looking at jalapeno corers because we had a nice crop this year and somehow stumbled on the Vic.

edit, the 6" boning knife is $14.65. The 7.5" serrated chef knife is $20.49. The 7.5" chef knife was down to $19 at one point today.

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 1, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

wormil posted:

Dope. I picked one up for a working bar knife and I'm already glad I did. Good size, will clearly last forever, super sharp out of the box.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought a cheap plastic dish drying thingy with integrated drip board when I moved into this condo a year and a half ago, and the drip board has gotten gross enough that I think it’s time for an upgrade.

It seems like those wood ones that form an X are popular, but where do you dry utensils? Do you have a separate drip board that you can clean regularly? Is using a hand towel as a drip board a bad idea?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a cheap plastic dish drying thingy with integrated drip board when I moved into this condo a year and a half ago, and the drip board has gotten gross enough that I think it’s time for an upgrade.

It seems like those wood ones that form an X are popular, but where do you dry utensils? Do you have a separate drip board that you can clean regularly? Is using a hand towel as a drip board a bad idea?

Get a Yamazaki silicone one if you have a drying rack - they're easier to clean than plastic. A hand towel isn't *terrible*, but you'd have to wash it often to keep it from smelling or amassing bacteria.

I just have a drying rack and a separate container for drying utensils standing up - it keeps water from pudding in the spoons and leaving water stains.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Canuck-Errant posted:

Get a Yamazaki silicone one if you have a drying rack - they're easier to clean than plastic. A hand towel isn't *terrible*, but you'd have to wash it often to keep it from smelling or amassing bacteria.

I just have a drying rack and a separate container for drying utensils standing up - it keeps water from pudding in the spoons and leaving water stains.

I have a dual sink, and just put the drying rack in the second sink, take it out if I need the other sink, which, honestly, is rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Is there any reason for me to buy a rice cooker larger than 3 cups if I never make more rice than that? Like am I going to want to put other poo poo in with the rice?

I only ask because I kinda wish I'd gone bigger with both my air fryer and my Instant Pot.