Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there a compelling reason to upgrade from a 3700 based on current info?
I can easily afford it but I don’t know if it’s a wise decision.

no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kraftwerk posted:

it hasn’t been released, nobody knows. but in all likelihood, no.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Kraftwerk posted:

That's basically it for a couple of years, honestly. Never upgrade two gens in a row, that's just being an idiot with money and the environment.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I think it was tech jesus that said it recently about GPUs, but if you don't hate your computer right now (or need an upgrade for work), don't upgrade.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm on a 3600X and my plan is to go to the highest clocked AM4 processor with at least 8 cores once it is pretty clear the socket is reaching end-of-life. 6 cores is fine for now, and it runs everything I want nice and snappy, but I got an X570 board with this plan in mind. I could've gone with cores to start, but I saved the money up front figuring that a step-up to a later generation would be in the cards for 2021 or 2022.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Level 1 Thief posted:

Bluetooth has been pretty much flawless; worlds better than the dongles I was using before. Just about any X570 wifi board should have the same antenna though.
Yeah that's what I noticed going from mini-itx with built-in wifi to micro-atx without wifi and using a USB adapter, wireless on motherboard (or PCIE) is worth it for bluetooth alone. I get decent BT now but it required a USB extension to get the dongle away from the ports, BT over wifi antennas is far better.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

sean10mm posted:

The only source I have seen for Zen 3 big price hike rumors is... you.

I also saw at least one source say it would be a 4 sku launch going down to 5600X and up to 5950X.

E: but we're all still just talking rumors vs rumors so :iiam:, especially since there have been so few Zen 3 leaks in general.

E2: the least stupid intel 10th gen is the i5 10600k so I would think they would want to kick that in the nuts too.

Post since deleted on this board

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/566770#comment-9317000

As I mentioned before, the system integrator by the name of luketechfast was talking about the price hikes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm interested in the 5600 and if they hike the price, I'll just get a 3600 instead. But I doubt any price increase will amount to more than ending any discounts Zen2 has, they seem to always be marked $20-25 off.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I can't believe they would give up the puns they would have if they had with Ryzen 5xxx on AM5 with DDR5. Could've just added another letter on the next gen of APU and called it a day.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I don't think there's going to be a price hike but it's safe to say 3xxx series is going to be discontinued asap because, unlike the Zen/+ chips they fabbed on GloFo, it competes for production capacity with the new stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

I don't think there's going to be a price hike but it's safe to say 3xxx series is going to be discontinued asap because, unlike the Zen/+ chips they fabbed on GloFo, it competes for production capacity with the new stuff.

This kinda makes sense why their Athlon line is still on Zen 1 and they did the AF SKUs

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If they think they can get people to pay for it, they absolutely will raise the price. This ain’t a charity. If it can beat Intel in gaming without any compromises, I would sure as poo poo raise the price to compete with Intel on per core prices if it was me. Especially when you factor the capacity issues in, too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Cygni posted:

If they think they can get people to pay for it, they absolutely will raise the price. This ain’t a charity. If it can beat Intel in gaming without any compromises, I would sure as poo poo raise the price to compete with Intel on per core prices if it was me. Especially when you factor the capacity issues in, too.

The 10700K is like $380, if the 5800X came in at that price with >10900K better gaming speed, while keeping all of the advantages AMD already had, I'd be cool with that. I'd rather pay less obviously.

If the price is TOO stupid nobody is moving off the Zen 2 though, AMD's biggest problem is Zen 2 is still real good. If they launch too high when inventory is small everybody either stands pat with what they have already or gets a 3700X.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 2, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

sean10mm posted:

The 10700K is like $380, if the 5800X came in at that price with >10900K better gaming speed, while keeping all of the advantages AMD already had, I'd be cool with that. I'd rather pay less obviously.

If the price is TOO stupid nobody is moving off the Zen 2 though, AMD's biggest problem is Zen 2 is still real good. If they launch too high when inventory is small everybody either stands pat with what they have already or gets a 3700X.

$380 to 400 MSRP will be the removal of 50 dollar value discount that AMD used to offer over Intel. You think they will keep that discount now that they can handily beat Intels best chip?

Certainly AMD will take advantage of this window to build revenue before they potentially have to reevaluate Zen3 pricing when Rocket Lake launches in Q1 21

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
also, even at equal pricing on the chip itself they still have cheaper mobos and a cooler thrown in (bad as it is), so there is still a say $50-100 cost advantage built in

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

also, even at equal pricing on the chip itself they still have cheaper mobos and a cooler thrown in (bad as it is), so there is still a say $50-100 cost advantage built in

???

Wraith Spire and Wraith Max are both pretty decent coolers and basically obviate the need to consider anything less than the best 120/140mm tower coolers. I mean the Wraith Stealth is bad but even then it's still better than what Intel offers as a stock cooler, which is so bad it's best to consider all Intel CPUs as sold w/o cooler.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Intel also provides coolers with all of their CPUs though? I think it was only the 9900KS that didn't

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

gradenko_2000 posted:

Intel also provides coolers with all of their CPUs though? I think it was only the 9900KS that didn't

I believe they stopped including coolers with their -K processors starting with the 6000 series since they were just going to be replaced anyways. The locked processors still do come with coolers though.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

EmpyreanFlux posted:

???

Wraith Spire and Wraith Max are both pretty decent coolers and basically obviate the need to consider anything less than the best 120/140mm tower coolers. I mean the Wraith Stealth is bad but even then it's still better than what Intel offers as a stock cooler, which is so bad it's best to consider all Intel CPUs as sold w/o cooler.

Good for a stock cooler, sure, but still pretty pointless. Unless you just don't care about noise at all or are on a tight budget I'd replace with a tower cooler 100% of the time, to the point where I wish you could buy the cpus without.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Actuarial Fables posted:

I believe they stopped including coolers with their -K processors starting with the 6000 series since they were just going to be replaced anyways. The locked processors still do come with coolers though.

I looked it up and you're right: the K series processors don't come with boxed coolers, and the locked parts do

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Even though I'd never use an Intel boxed cooler or wraith stealth, they're ideal for putting a thing together on the desk to make sure it works before assembling it all well. Pretty cheap of them to omit it IMO.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I feel very weird upgrading to an end of life socket but, my 4770K is kind of long in the tooth at this point.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ijyt posted:

I feel very weird upgrading to an end of life socket but, my 4770K is kind of long in the tooth at this point.

To be fair, basically every Intel upgrade is to an EOL socket from day 1

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

In my experience by the time your current CPU is crap, anything that fits in its socket that's better is either too slow still, unavailable or grossly overpriced.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
As a Ryzen 5 2600/ B450 tomohawk owner, I'd disagree with that sentiment.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

As a Ryzen 5 2600/ B450 tomohawk owner, I'd disagree with that sentiment.

That came out in like mid 2018. Most people aren't looking to dump their CPU in 2 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's generally true that a lot of people don't upgrade their machines so often that whatever socket they're still on is current, and also that by the time people DO upgrade their machines, whatever socket they're currently on doesn't really hold an upgrade path anymore, and both of those factors play into why it technically doesn't hurt as much that Intel only ever supports two generations of CPUs per socket (though that doesn't really excuse them either).

even if you're on something like an i3-9100, going up to an i7-8700 is about 300 bucks. an i5-10400, plus motherboard, is still going to be cheaper than that.
an i7-10700, plus motherboard, is similarly cheaper than trying to keep the socket 1151 and getting an i9-9900

if you have an even older CPU+mobo combo, you're similarly not going to be able to extract much more additional value from trying to do a CPU upgrade on the same socket

to bring it back to AMD, it's only a thing because AM4 is such a long-lived socket, but even that has its share of drama, as with BIOS updates

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

sean10mm posted:

That came out in like mid 2018. Most people aren't looking to dump their CPU in 2 years.

Because usually you had to swap the board and possibly memory alongside the CPU. I'm in the same boat where I'll upgrade from a 2600 to Zen 3 if there's no significant issues with the beta bios.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
To be honest even if it's slightly sketchy, it puts you in a position where you can do cpu, then a b550 board when you catch one on special, and then flog the remainder off with some cheap ram down the line.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

sean10mm posted:

im just bored ive been stuck inside for 8 months & i dont need a new GPU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Actuarial Fables posted:

I believe they stopped including coolers with their -K processors starting with the 6000 series since they were just going to be replaced anyways.

It wasn't because they were just going to be replaced, it was that some people did use them and they were totally inadequate. As in the processor would hit max temp and throttle. The sinks they came with were the same cheap intel aluminum sinks as the normal desktop processors, which keep up with a 65W cpu and that's about it. It was making them look bad that people would have awful results, and designing a decent heatsink like the prism would have cut the profit margin.

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Wraith Spire and Wraith Max are both pretty decent coolers and basically obviate the need to consider anything less than the best 120/140mm tower coolers.

Eh, that might be a bit much. A cheap 120mm tower strongly outperforms them, and while from a pure performance & clockspeed standpoint you don't gain anything worth considering, the noise difference is big. And the spire only comes with the 3600X, which for most of zen 2's life has been a dud product.

But here's the compliment I'll give to the AMD coolers, and also the thing I find slightly frustrating about them: a Max would be an actually good cooler for a 3600. I wish there was some way to give all the unused max coolers to people with 3600s and limited budgets.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Klyith posted:

It wasn't because they were just going to be replaced, it was that some people did use them and they were totally inadequate. As in the processor would hit max temp and throttle. The sinks they came with were the same cheap intel aluminum sinks as the normal desktop processors, which keep up with a 65W cpu and that's about it. It was making them look bad that people would have awful results, and designing a decent heatsink like the prism would have cut the profit margin.

Eh, that might be a bit much. A cheap 120mm tower strongly outperforms them, and while from a pure performance & clockspeed standpoint you don't gain anything worth considering, the noise difference is big. And the spire only comes with the 3600X, which for most of zen 2's life has been a dud product.

But here's the compliment I'll give to the AMD coolers, and also the thing I find slightly frustrating about them: a Max would be an actually good cooler for a 3600. I wish there was some way to give all the unused max coolers to people with 3600s and limited budgets.

In my perfect world, they'd cut prices on the processors by $5 and not include a heatsink. Then make the max available as a bundle with processor purchase regardless of sku for +10 and the stealth for +5. Boom, less waste for people who are going to immediately replace with something better, more options for people on a tight budget.

Probably a pain for logistics and packaging reasons I guess.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've got a heatsink off a socket 754 processor that I'm pretty sure would still work with AMD's retention mechanism.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've planned to upgrade the processor on my X570 board from day one - the 3600X I built the system with meets my needs fine, but I knew at least one more generation of CPUs was coming for AM4 and I should be able to jump to a newer processor with more cores, higher clocks, and better IPC. Rather than spend the money up front for a Ryzen 2 that was more than I needed in the moment but that was going to be surpassed in a year or two I built around a planned upgrade path.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I had the same reasoning and it was why I went for a 3600 instead of a 3700, but I doubt I'm going to upgrade. I doubt there's going to be much point to upgrade for at least 2 years. Almost everything is going to still be cross-gen up to that point. Probably the next big game that's going to require 8 fast cores is going to be the next Battlefield and I don't have much hope it's not going to be total dogshit so not worth upgrading for anyway.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I also bought a x570 board and 3600 earlier this year and I have planned all along to upgrade to a 5700/5800 when they come out. I like to do some 3d modeling and rendering in my spare time and have recently taken up 3d printing and I do it pretty much all day every day now, including printing my own 3d models. A better CPU would benefit me and so what if I ended up spending an extra $50-75 when I got to use this CPU for nearly a year before upgrading.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
It'll probably make more sense for lots of people to wait until AM5 or whatever they call it pops up (I'm assuming very late 2021 at the earliest, probably more like early 2022) to get a Zen3 CPU since all these AM4 CPU's seem to sell used for very nice prices and as a EOL upgrade Zen3 would probably be a fairly nice update in a year before you have to consider shelling out for DDR5 and a new mobo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If your PC does what you want it to do, then don't upgrade it.

If it doesn't, then do upgrade it

I'm not using a shitass PC that can't run what I want it to today because something better will exist in a year, because something better will always exist in a year.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ironically AM4s long life is actually a downside rather than a positive as lack of an upgrade path would stop people spending silly amounts of money on marginal upgrades most of them won't notice.

Curse you AMD!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Plus I'm assuming DDR5 is going to be plenty pricey for a while after it releases.