Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Some rear end in a top hat did a fungus-and-allergen based adventure book for Trophy Dark, but I don't think that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Halloween Jack posted:

Why is the OSR so mushroom-focused.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Going out on a limb here but it probably involves Trump's dick

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

dwarf74 posted:

Going out on a limb here but it probably involves Trump's dick

No.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

There seems to be a pathological obsession among certain OSR people to stat out every single multi-cellular organism as some form humanoid hybrid monster (Fungus men, Black mold men, Horseshoe crab men, Monarch butterfly men, Eurasian tree sparrow men, etc).

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

There seems to be a pathological obsession among certain OSR people to stat out every single multi-cellular organism as some form humanoid hybrid monster (Fungus men, Black mold men, Horseshoe crab men, Monarch butterfly men, Eurasian tree sparrow men, etc).

Personally I always wanted a Mantis Shrimp racial splat with their supersonic One Punch racial ability.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Halloween Jack posted:

Drugs

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Comrade Koba posted:

Dwarf Fortress says hi

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Myconieds are a classic enemy, and there's a lot of cool stuff you can do in the fungal milieu.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's drugs. Tripping culture gave a lot to the outlook and aesthetic of the prog rock van mural that is old school gaming

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's drugs. Tripping culture gave a lot to the outlook and aesthetic of the prog rock van mural that is old school gaming

I should stick expies of the Freak Brothers in my next game

Olympia
Jan 9, 2014
Level 36 Jock
Speaking of drugs and OSR is Narcosa any good? Haven't given it a look yet but when it was released I got impression it was may be trying too hard and I should probably look at Yoon-Suin or Troika! for the trippy aesthetics.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Worlds Without Number kickstarter is live now

time to get in on this. i am actually going to spring for the offset copy because it looks really nice. i have mostly sworn off physical books but i guess i'll do it this one last time

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Decided to try out a new VTT since roll20 has been giving me some headaches and I wanted to take my current OSE campaign in a new direction.

I've had this idea for a while now where I can abstract a map into generalized "rooms" similar to a MUD. This would help facilitate dungeon design by eliminating the need to painstakingly draw out each individual map or area, or make detailed grid-maps that also take a surprising amount of time. Instead, a world can be created by having these "rooms" that connect to one another via "paths". It would also allow particularly intertwining maps without the need to physically connect them via a drawing, as you can simply say "room 1F has stairs leading up to 2B".

My favorite map design is probably found in the Dark Souls games, with very vertical-centric maps that utilize space well and permit a player to find shortcuts that also help make the world feel organic. I wanted to reach for this via this new map technique.

In Foundry they have these things called Journal Entries which can be dragged onto the map and given a graphic to represent them.

A lot of information can be presented to the players visually via these journal entries. For one, the graphic can be sized to the DM's needs, and you're allowed to upload your own icons to depict anything you wish. Here I have an example of three different types of rooms: an anchor that represents an area on the shore, and two caves, white caves represent normal stone caverns, while green caves represent caves covered in a mossy substance. Scrolling over the journal entries reveals their designation (I'm using language where the first character represents the numbered "level" the room is on, and the second character represents that room's specific value [examples: 2B, 1Q, -1Ta, etc]; all of this is easily searchable in the list of journals that gets automatically updated as I reveal these rooms) and double clicking a room (either on the map or in the list of journal entries) opens up that room's associated journal info, which currently contains obvious "at a glance" information that the players would know once they enter the room.

By creating various journal entries for rooms, dragging them onto the map, and revealing them as players explore those rooms, I can keep a quick metric of which rooms are available to players, where they've been and what they've found. The journal entries can even be edited by the players so they can input their own notes. Players can also right click a journal entry in their journal and jump directly to that entry, so there's little confusion about where the players are currently, though I'm thinking about having player icons as well so they can place themselves on top of a journal entry and see where they are at any given time.

Further, paths between rooms are just line drawings that can be given some additional info via text blurbs, such as a doorway, a staircase, or a well that you have to jump down.

Anyway that's my presentation on this thing I've spent way too much time working on this weekend.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
That sounds really loving cool to me. I've never had much luck doing RPGs online but that sounds like a good solution to a traditional graph paper map.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Serf posted:

time to get in on this. i am actually going to spring for the offset copy because it looks really nice. i have mostly sworn off physical books but i guess i'll do it this one last time

Does anyone know if he normally sorts out more EU friendly shipping later?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Serf posted:

This and Old School Essentials are very likely to end up as my "non-thematic" OSR games of choice like Swords & Wizardry once was.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So those of you who've actually played in UVG, how was it?

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Does anyone have experience with DriveThruRPG's print-on-demand service to Europe? Any idea how extreme the shipping cost is? And does the pricing for Worlds Without Number's POD coupon represent a discount or just a regular price on any POD order? Just based on how far away the delivery date is, I think I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Esposito posted:

Does anyone have experience with DriveThruRPG's print-on-demand service to Europe? Any idea how extreme the shipping cost is? And does the pricing for Worlds Without Number's POD coupon represent a discount or just a regular price on any POD order? Just based on how far away the delivery date is, I think I'll wait and see how it turns out.

I paid $17 to have the POD version of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia shipped to Europe, which felt a bit steep but not completely insane as I've seen Kickstarters that list US-to-EU shipping costs for similar size hardcover volumes at between $30 and $40.

EDIT: I made my order in early 2018, so things might have changed since then.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DriveThru have a UK print hub, so $17 to Europe sounds a bit steep?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Verisimilidude posted:

My favorite map design is probably found in the Dark Souls games, with very vertical-centric maps that utilize space well and permit a player to find shortcuts that also help make the world feel organic. I wanted to reach for this via this new map technique.

This is the sort of thing I've been trying to figure out for awhile, thanks for the ideas.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

I've had this idea for a while now where I can abstract a map into generalized "rooms" similar to a MUD.

This idea has been kicked around the OSR blogosphere a bit and is usually called a point-crawl.
Fairly good posts about it: http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2014/11/pointcrawl-series-index.html

Apologies if you know all this / are Chris Kutalik.

Halloween Jack posted:

Mushrooms hit two core OSR aesthetics pretty hard: ruins/decay, and weird/body horror. TBH the OSR itself is new life growing out of a rotted corpse.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I ran my SO through this solo yesterday (skipping over combat to move things forward) and it worked well. We were able to fluidly move from room to room, and the basic descriptions (example below) were enough to get her thinking about what her options were.

quote:

Example room description:

To the north is an entrance to a cave.

To the south there is a bridge, the middle of which has fallen into the oil-black waters. The other half of the bridge is within leaping distance. Beyond the bridge you can see a lighthouse illuminating the darkness.

There is a path along the shore running east.

There is a path along the shore running west.

Descriptions can be fleshed out more based on user questions or how descriptive I'm feeling, but these basic descriptions are there strictly to give players quick visual notes on what's obvious in the room.

Further, I wanted to incorporate time keeping so players can gauge how often they need to rest. I can simply say a single "turn" (10 minutes game-time) occurs whenever the players take time to explore or interact with a room, or they can traverse up to 5 rooms in a single turn if they're just passing through, 10 if they're running but then they need to take a break for a turn during which time they're exhausted. Should they wish to go from A to B, they can just map out how they're planning to get there and we can gloss over it assuming there are no obstacles in the way.

Sax Solo posted:

This idea has been kicked around the OSR blogosphere a bit and is usually called a point-crawl.
Fairly good posts about it: http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2014/11/pointcrawl-series-index.html

Apologies if you know all this / are Chris Kutalik.

I've heard of this but haven't found any information on it! Thanks for the link.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 6, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sax Solo posted:

Mushrooms hit two core OSR aesthetics pretty hard: ruins/decay, and weird/body horror. TBH the OSR itself is new life growing out of a rotted corpse.

I got a request for a thread title update so here ya guys go

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Backed Worlds Without Numbers. If it's half as good as his other work it'll be worth it

Serf
May 5, 2011

kazr posted:

Backed Worlds Without Numbers. If it's half as good as his other work it'll be worth it

he sent out an email estimating that the full pdf will be out by q1 2021, so that's pretty drat good. i backed wolves of god and he provided monthly updates to the beta document that was essentially fully playable from the beginning too

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bullbar posted:

So those of you who've actually played in UVG, how was it?

Haven't personally played in the UVG but I have listened to a few UVG actual plays, found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB5UGJn1L98

Serf posted:

he sent out an email estimating that the full pdf will be out by q1 2021, so that's pretty drat good. i backed wolves of god and he provided monthly updates to the beta document that was essentially fully playable from the beginning too

How does Wolves of God play, or do you know a group that has played it?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

How does Wolves of God play, or do you know a group that has played it?

the people on the swn/general sine nomine discord seem to enjoy it

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://goodman-games.com/blog/2020/10/08/xcrawl-classics-beta-rules-now-available/

:getin:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
poo poo, I didn't even realize Xcrawl Classics was a thing. I loved the Xcrawl concept, just didn't like the rules or the setting.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Does anyone know if he normally sorts out more EU friendly shipping later?

I backed the offset copy for Wolves of God, and by all indications I saw he's just one dude shipping out copies via US Media Mail. Anyone outside the US is probably going to be much better served by the POD option. It was his first time doing offset printing, but I don't think current world conditions are going to allow him to operate much faster/cheaper for international customers.

With that said Sine Nomine owns and I encourage everyone to back their Kickstarter in whatever way makes sense to you.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, I'm going to go for the POD, was just asking because sometimes KSes arrange better shipping later.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the new worlds without number beta doc is out for backers, with the biggest addition being the new classes. they are all partial mage classes with their own abilities to choose

right now there are:
adunic invoker: a mage replacement that uses spell points instead of spell slots
darian skinshifter: a shapechanger that can sub in for wild shaping druids
kistian duelist: kinda a weapon master/4e avenger. pick one weapon and get really good at using it, focus on challenging and destroying one enemy with powers that let you stick to them
llaigisan beastmaster: get you an animal companion, with an option to start out with a more powerful beast that can't die unless you do, but its the only one you'll ever have and you treat it like family
sarulite blood priest: bog-standard cleric with some flexibility to go more paladin
vothite thought noble: uses a limited version of swn psionics (which you could wholesale port into this game)

also i didn't realize that crawford was including a complete setting with this one, about as extensive as the setting for godbound. there are also generators for stuff like ruins, which have some pretty excellent flavor

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

poo poo, I didn't even realize Xcrawl Classics was a thing. I loved the Xcrawl concept, just didn't like the rules or the setting.

I kind of wish it was played off more as a Takashi's Castle or Pro Wrestling style thing, not what it is. Just imagine Blue Mountain State but with DnD characters instead of football.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I listened to the System Mastery review, I was just baffled that they made a tongue-in-cheek setting built around the idea of dungeoncrawling as a sport, and were like "Yeah, this is a modern world, so rangers and barbarians aren't much of a thing. But you can play an ex-footballer!"

It's a comedy setting! Just say that, like, hippie liberals send their kids to Druid College! It's not hard!

Apropos of nothing, Black Sword Hack is my favourite implementation of the Black Hack rules that I've seen so far.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

System Mastery is about half fun and half moronic IME.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Halloween Jack posted:

When I listened to the System Mastery review, I was just baffled that they made a tongue-in-cheek setting built around the idea of dungeoncrawling as a sport, and were like "Yeah, this is a modern world, so rangers and barbarians aren't much of a thing. But you can play an ex-footballer!"

It's a comedy setting! Just say that, like, hippie liberals send their kids to Druid College! It's not hard!

Yeah, the idea of XCrawl is much better than any implementation of it. I'll be interested to see what XCrawl Classics does different than the previous iterations, but I'll still probably do my "Forgotten Realms-esque setting is politically stable, so they channel all their nationalistic energy into competitive dungeoncrawling" idea in Savage Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Still working on my setting where the real dungeon was neoliberalism all along, but I don't even know what system to use.