Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macksy posted:

Speaking of plot themes that didnt pan out, did the whole "beastar" concept itself ever become relevant again? It seemed like it was supposed to be a pretty important thing early on and was just forgotten other than being reminded that horseman is the current beastar, but from what I remember the beastar was supposed to be some kind of public big deal whereas horse is just kung-fu batman.

the plot mentioned that yafya was an oddball as a beastar because they're generally civic leaders and other role models, while he was a reclusive vigilante who focused on taking over the city's police force. but yeah the whole idea was mostly dropped aside from legosi sort of halfheartedly mentioning it in relation to his dumbass crusade in the black market

yafya's treatment is one of the things that irked me the most, he seemed to be set up as a symbol of how personal prejudice can negatively effect social mores from the top down (since his entire career as a beastar and his specieism were fueled by his grudge against gosha for dropping out of their partnership) but then he and gosha chat for a single chapter and he's being treated like an icon of virtue again. his inner monologue right before melon chomped him even said he's proud of himself for lying to melon about his dad being alive. how the hell is that a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's weird that they casually drop that Yayfa fertilizes his carrots with bones of his enemies and it never comes up again.

Makes me think if the anime gets around it that they will drop it to soften Yayfa's image a bit.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Macksy posted:

horse is just kung-fu batman.

I just wanted to see this sentence on it's own

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
it seems so obvious that legosi and louis were eventually supposed to become the titular beastars that i have to wonder if paru decided to just go a totally different direction, or if she got told to wrap the manga up. or is it just going to be in a flash forward in the last chapter

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I feel like the show is going to end up going a different direction from the manga (or an extended direction). This getting wrapped so quickly and haphazardly gets me thinking she's investing her time in that.

195 was good though, as are all the slice of life chapters which this book got away from.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Adder Moray posted:

I feel like the show is going to end up going a different direction from the manga (or an extended direction). This getting wrapped so quickly and haphazardly gets me thinking she's investing her time in that.
I mean, who knows if there'll even be a season 3.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s rumors now of Orange picking up Berserk, so they might be moving on to other properties

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they’re smart Legosi will solve the school murder mystery and return to his home planet because his people need him and thats the end of the anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah they can have legosi get expelled and explore the life outside of the academy because that poo poo ruled too, just Poochy melon right out of the series period and it'd probably be fine ending with the second season.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly an alternate timeline where 'legosi has to live outside school, starts to date haru seriously, they work together to overcome the prejudice that prevents them marrying, and the entire story is focused on how they overcome their various poo poo' would be a pretty nice place to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

somepartsareme posted:

it seems so obvious that legosi and louis were eventually supposed to become the titular beastars that i have to wonder if paru decided to just go a totally different direction, or if she got told to wrap the manga up. or is it just going to be in a flash forward in the last chapter

In my head, the outline was always "Legosi and Louis address society's hosed up problems in a major way by dealing with stuff like the Back Alley Market and in doing so become the new Beastars", but things got derailed along the way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this was my own take on a series ending, if anyone is interested

i entered 2020 with both Beastars and Yakuza on my mind and those two things pretty much had to carry me through the first six months

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

this was my own take on a series ending, if anyone is interested

i entered 2020 with both Beastars and Yakuza on my mind and those two things pretty much had to carry me through the first six months

Oh dang! Was reading along as it came out and I loved it! Set up some drat fine villains that were a blast to read about!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Oh dang! Was reading along as it came out and I loved it! Set up some drat fine villains that were a blast to read about!

oh neat, small world. glad you enjoyed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mangadex link for chapter 195

next chapter will be the final one

*plays taps on kazoo*

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
But are you ready for the sequel?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ahaha, those expressions are so good

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I am entirely onboard with Haru going 'I've been too passive with this relationship lately. Time to push Legosi's boundaries again'.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

wtf Haru?

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SpikeMcclane posted:

But are you ready for the sequel?

I'd like her to take some time off if she needs it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

It feels pretty natural for someone like Haru to get annoyed at feeling like a powerless junior partner in the relationship with no agency, considering that her boyfriend is a gigantic wolf/trained fighter/vigilante and for the entire last arc she has either been nonexistent or a powerless junior partner in the relationship with no agency.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Haru doesn't want to be glad handled or have her rear end kissed, she wants it to be a relationship and not worship. I think that's cool myself

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Imagine if we had gotten more than a single chapter to explore this interesting character dynamic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is pretty much the same dynamic they've always had, except now haru has a higher opinion of legosi with him fresh off his victory. i'd personally find that more convincing if he wasn't here mainly because he's literally too stupid to die

also we're at the penultimate chapter and the three (i'd like to say four but let's be honest, juno's just been done too dirty) main characters have still never actually been in a room together or interacted with each other simultaneously. that last shot of louis was ominous

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

Imagine if we had gotten more than a single chapter to explore this interesting character dynamic

But then what of melon and the elephants

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New key visual for season 2

Starts in January

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

New key visual for season 2

Starts in January

does anyone else hear Red Fraction playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmNWL5nzE4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the end

https://imgur.com/a/LnhygyG

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was prepared for disappointment, natch, but seeing what the last three chapters have done to Louis has pushed me into Actually Mad territory

at least the anime's second season should finish the franchise on a high note

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao so Louis just bit the bullet and became the CEO he never wanted to, cool

The Haru and Legoshi stuff is sweet, at least

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wasn't there another announcement relating to Beast Complex?

Also wow, what a bad ending. It legit feels like something we would've gotten if it had gotten cancelled. Maybe Paru was crushed by the pressure.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Wasn't there another announcement relating to Beast Complex?

Yeah it's resuming in January apparently

Not sure how long it will run for

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beast Complex is a bunch of short stories set in the Beastars world, right?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yep

https://mangadex.org/title/22194/beast-complex

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alright nice, despite my feelings towards this arc and the ending I'm still looking forward to more short stories.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mannnnnnnnnnnn

MANNNNNNNNNNNNNN

What a god damned bummer

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Wow they really did do Louis dirty. Big loving shame. Everything else was okay, just that part wow.

I'll still keep an eye on what Paru does next anyway.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Really feels like Paru just wasn't enjoying it towards the end, so many rapid changes during the Melon arc and a lot of weird plot threads coming up then disappearing. This ending just felt so sudden. I hope she takes a well deserved break then comes back to do something else nice.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Really feels like Paru just wasn't enjoying it towards the end, so many rapid changes during the Melon arc and a lot of weird plot threads coming up then disappearing. This ending just felt so sudden. I hope she takes a well deserved break then comes back to do something else nice.

I did appreciate how the last few pages bookends with their first encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Given the stuff she put out on her process it makes total sense why Beastars ended like it did (and ran like it did), and why moving back to the anthologized form is better