Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I got doom eternal before it was on game pass and I didn't like it much, the jumping and trapezoid puzzles made me think I was playing tomb raider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't really disagree with any of the negative things people have to say about eternal I just think the combat mechanics are just that good that it doesn't even bother me. It feels so much better to just rip through than 2016 for sure imo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Doom Eternal sucks because it doubles down on the "resource management" aspect of Doom 2016 that I really didn't enjoy but ostensibly is a great sequel.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Doom Eternal loving goes for it and I'm very forgiving of games that do that. They could have just made more Doom 2016 levels and strung them together with flavortext, but they didnt. They aimed a little higher. Didn't nail it, but that's okay, IMO.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Doom Eternal loving goes for it and I'm very forgiving of games that do that. They could have just made more Doom 2016 levels and strung them together with flavortext, but they didnt. They aimed a little higher. Didn't nail it, but that's okay, IMO.

They should have made Doom Eternal levels and strung them together with flavortext.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like DE but Im not good at the combat now that its so expansive. I've also got it on hurt me plenty or whatever is the kind of hard mode and refuse to drop the difficulty or my wife will make fun of me. I actually like the platforming bits but I havent played a platformer in like 15+ years so that might have something to do with it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 5's story, when you finally suss it out, is fine. Its just told as poorly as possible.

Gameplay wise I can see wanting something that plays a little more like Doom 4 but I can't agree, Doom 5 is the best action game releases this decade and what I loved about Doom 4 but more.

Its also a huge step up in difficulty versus Doom 4 so watch out for that. A lot of people were like "oh I crushed Doom 4 on Ultraviolence, time to take this to town" and its not, its very very not going to just give it up to you easy. The massive increase in monster aggression in general and huge jump in action tokens the monsters have access to in Doom 5's UV is not for someone who beat Doom 4 abusing Siege Mode and Rich Get Richer

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

Doom Eternal sucks because it doubles down on the "resource management" aspect of Doom 2016 that I really didn't enjoy but ostensibly is a great sequel.

This is where I'm at, plus I think the combat is much more demanding than 2016. I felt fine playing with a controller with 2016, but on Eternal I felt like the game wasn't designed for a pad. Way more "if you don't hit the spider demon's tail in the weak point with the one weapon that disables it, you're going to have a bad time" situations.

Also the levels were too long.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Crafty posted:

I think you'll be fine with a USB drive to store stuff you're currently not actively playing on. I've never filled my external.

Downloading Yakuza 0 onto it now

Oh forgot to mention because it bites new people in the rear end. Be sure to save often at phone booths since there is no autosaving. Archaic I know, but is what it is.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Zat posted:

I enjoy GTA 4's car handling too and it's one of its redeeming features. I'm fine with more arcadey handling like in every other GTA, but I think I like that of GTA 4 more where cars feel like they have real weight.

Yes I really liked the driving in GTA IV as well, it had good camera views/controls and the impact physics with soft-body damage were fantastic, though the cars had a bit too much suspension sway. Euphoria engine physics still aren’t matched in any game since IMO.

Spintires/Snowrunner, Battlefield 1 and Death Stranding have the best feeling vehicles this gen I think. I tried to get into Forza Horizon 4 but I find it too sterile in comparison.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh forgot to mention because it bites new people in the rear end. Be sure to save often at phone booths since there is no autosaving. Archaic I know, but is what it is.
Does Kiwami on the Xbox have auto saves?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Akuma posted:

Does Kiwami on the Xbox have auto saves?

I beat 1 and 2 recently and I'm pretty sure both of them have autosave. More importantly when you manual save you don't have to go to a phoneboth, just do it from the menu. 0 was excellent but the save mechanic was mind boggling.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Entitled gamers

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

I beat 1 and 2 recently and I'm pretty sure both of them have autosave. More importantly when you manual save you don't have to go to a phoneboth, just do it from the menu. 0 was excellent but the save mechanic was mind boggling.
I ask because on PS4 K1 had no auto save, but it did have save anywhere.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A circle...the shape of a ring...that is red, and signals death, you say?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's a safety measure, so more like the Red Ring of Life :3: although it would be better if the console hibernated instead so you don't lose progress

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

76C isn't that high for components I would've thought.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Guys I don't think the Xbox has "heat sensitive paint" on it that turns from green to red at a certain threshold.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The green is paint tho
Not lights

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Ruffian Price posted:

It's a safety measure, so more like the Red Ring of Life :3: although it would be better if the console hibernated instead so you don't lose progress

I saw some posts on another forum of people claiming that even if you’re one of those people that shut your console all the way down - your games will be in the suspend mode when you turn it on. Not sure if that’s true or not.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Crafty posted:

I saw some posts on another forum of people claiming that even if you’re one of those people that shut your console all the way down - your games will be in the suspend mode when you turn it on. Not sure if that’s true or not.

It's true. The system is writing the game state to the SSD, which persists after reboot.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

How are people buying the Brazil Xbox Live codes from CDKeys? I’ve tried twice now and it won’t complete the purchase. They send me an email saying there’s either an issue with the payment or I’m in the wrong region to purchase the items. I know the payment is working since I saw the pending charge (which came off), obviously I’m not in Brazil, but it seems like lots of people do this so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
The developer of Black Desert published an article about backwards compatibility for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of the game on the next-generation consoles.

https://www.console.playblackdesert.com/News/Notice/Detail?boardNo=5309&countryType=en-US

quote:

Xbox Series X/S
We are happy to announce that as backwards compatibility is a core feature of both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, you will be able to enjoy Black Desert on the next generation of consoles from day 1. There will be no need to purchase any additional bundles as all current owners of Black Desert will be able to continue their adventures on these devices. The only caveat is that your current Xbox Live Account must be the one used, and if it is, you will be able to continue where you left off!

PlayStation 5
Our partners at Sony are also working hard to make sure that PlayStation users will also be able to enjoy Black Desert on PlayStation 5 on the day that the console makes its way to your home. We will keep you updated if there are any updates in the near future!

Zerot fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 4, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I learned from this that Black Desert isn't Free to Play which astounds me but not as much as apparently being the second biggest MMO in the world behind WoW

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Barudak posted:

I learned from this that Black Desert isn't Free to Play which astounds me but not as much as apparently being the second biggest MMO in the world behind WoW

Yeah, it's huge but I don't know how successful the console versions are. I believe it has been re-added to Game Pass recently after leaving for a few months.

The difference in language in those two paragraphs is wild. They should know by now whether their game works on next-gen hardware or not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the difference in those paragraphs is buck wild for what is a massive game.

I played it a few weeks ago and the character creator is incredible but the actual game is just terrible across the board and I was like "hey what do I expect for F2P" but welp.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
An Italian article about the Series X has been going around where the author measured the noise coming out from the console and compared it to a PlayStation 4 Pro. I know people are very concerned about noise levels in these new machines.

https://www.everyeye.it/notizie/xbox-series-x-risultati-primi-test-rumorosita-prova-472586.html

quote:

Stanza 18-25db
Series X Dashboard: 22-26db
Series X Destiny 2: 26-31db
Series X Installazione Disco: 40-44 db
PS4 PRO Dashboard: 58-61db
PS4 PRO Destiny 2: 63-69db
PS4 PRO The Last of Us Parte 2: 67-71 db

I don't know anything about Italian tech sites so I cannot vouch for if it is a reputable publication, but it sounds like both the Series X and PS5 are very quiet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that a Nissan stanza?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
PS4 Pro isn't exactly the best benchmark if you're trying to compare console noise, but yeah I mean everyone fully expected both these machines to be incredibly quiet. They better be with how stupidly large they are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PS4 Pro has two models, the launch variety that inexplicably spins up like a jet engine on menu screens and a much quieter one that was released later.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The standard PS4 had that problem too, with its first model also ejecting its own disks when the eject touch-sensor sensed the heat of the console. Its great that such a hilarious and obvious problem made it into production.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 4, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah the launch PS4 and PS4 Pro I got definitely got louder than later units I got. I have two newer PS4 Pros currently (with the smaller power connector) and they're very quiet.

On the plus side, Japanese streamers got to try out the PS5 and some games and it, too, is extremely quiet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Yeah the launch PS4 and PS4 Pro I got definitely got louder than later units I got. I have two newer PS4 Pros currently (with the smaller power connector) and they're very quiet.

On the plus side, Japanese streamers got to try out the PS5 and some games and it, too, is extremely quiet.

Yeah they said 80 mins of gameplay and the unit stayed cool to touch. Big improvement

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Are they just showing it to Japanese media right now?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah this weekend was jpn influencers only for some reason.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Has there been any indication the Series will play more 360 or OG Xbox games than a One can do?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Geoff Keighley seems to think Xbox has an announcement of some kind tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKypaAyu3ME&t=6767s

To Aaron Greenburg: "I heard a rumor you'll have a blog post up Monday"

This lines up with expectations that another embargo is set to lift on Monday for journalists with pre-production Series X hardware.

Seedge posted:

Has there been any indication the Series will play more 360 or OG Xbox games than a One can do?

No. There's an assumption that the BC team will start releasing games again after the launch of the Series X and S consoles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No. They might release a bunch more BC titles once the Series launches but there's absolutely no reason any of them would be exclusive to the Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
All they have to do is release Skate 2 and then shut er down for good.