Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

armorer posted:

And re: !Klams - I'm familiar with Warmachine/Hordes, and Infinity, as they compare with Warhammer. I've never played any of them, but I have read a ton and made gameplay stuff (terrain, blast damage tokens, etc) for them. So I know what you mean regarding the gameplay superiority of Warmachine.

At my FLGS, there's quite a big Warmahordes community, they have regular tournaments. There is a HUGE 40k community, just absolutely massive. And for a while I couldn't really work out exactly why it was so much bigger, because, this store is super communal, everyone chats with each other all the time, we all try out each other's games, so we often get big scenes of hot games. (It's got one of the biggest Transformers communities, had a massive Keyforge scene, etc etc). It seemed odd to me that people would MASSIVELY prefer 40k, (it's like 20 times bigger) until I had a conversation with one dude about his 40k armies. (Multiple). He chatted for ages and ages about why he'd built them (as in, army comp, not physically) the way he had, and what he was hoping to get next and why, etc etc. He told me about a lot of stuff he had that he hadn't built yet. I asked him "Couldn't you just build and paint some of that stuff to improve your army? Does the meta change that much you already need new stuff to win?" and he told me:

"Oh, I've never actually played a game."

And it that's when it struck me, how marvelous it is, how great of an achievement of GW, to have done what they've done. I would be super super shocked if there was anyone that owned a single Warmachine army, let alone multiple, that hadn't played a game. It's so clever, to have this universe that people just want the IDEA of being a part of, even if they don't even want to learn the rules or play the game. They're happy to buy into the dream.

I could totally see Magic going that way, 'especially' if they turn it into a kind of 'funko-pop' system with a mish mash of crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

!Klams posted:

At my FLGS, there's quite a big Warmahordes community, they have regular tournaments. There is a HUGE 40k community, just absolutely massive. And for a while I couldn't really work out exactly why it was so much bigger, because, this store is super communal, everyone chats with each other all the time, we all try out each other's games, so we often get big scenes of hot games. (It's got one of the biggest Transformers communities, had a massive Keyforge scene, etc etc). It seemed odd to me that people would MASSIVELY prefer 40k, (it's like 20 times bigger) until I had a conversation with one dude about his 40k armies. (Multiple). He chatted for ages and ages about why he'd built them (as in, army comp, not physically) the way he had, and what he was hoping to get next and why, etc etc. He told me about a lot of stuff he had that he hadn't built yet. I asked him "Couldn't you just build and paint some of that stuff to improve your army? Does the meta change that much you already need new stuff to win?" and he told me:

"Oh, I've never actually played a game."

And it that's when it struck me, how marvelous it is, how great of an achievement of GW, to have done what they've done. I would be super super shocked if there was anyone that owned a single Warmachine army, let alone multiple, that hadn't played a game. It's so clever, to have this universe that people just want the IDEA of being a part of, even if they don't even want to learn the rules or play the game. They're happy to buy into the dream.

I could totally see Magic going that way, 'especially' if they turn it into a kind of 'funko-pop' system with a mish mash of crossovers.

I don't think that just collecting and sitting on magic cards has quite the same hobbiest appeal as assembling and painting minis does though. Some Warhammer mini painters are loving amazing at what they do, it's really an artistic outlet. I could be wrong, but I think even the most casual of magic collectors has at least played the game.

Edit: That said, altered cards are very much a thing now as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Over 90% of Magic purchases come from people who will never play in any form of sanctioned event. That's why WOTC started releasing more preconstructed decks with unique cards not legal in tournament play - rather than have the super-casuals buy boosters and get put off by not being able to make two good balanced decks, they could simply pick up a $30 box set every so often and play out of that. It took them a surprisingly long time to work out that making EDH/Commander an official format was peak profitability, though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

armorer posted:

I don't think that just collecting and sitting on magic cards has quite the same hobbyist appeal as assembling and painting minis does though. Some Warhammer mini painters are loving amazing at what they do, it's really an artistic outlet. I could be wrong, but I think even the most casual of magic collectors have at least played the game.

Edit: That said, altered cards are very much a thing now as well.

Well, sorry, I meant more that, in 40k there are things that are 'basically' pay to win, but then they get errata'd sometimes, so it's fine, and people don't really care that much about the integrity of the game. And then the game is random enough anyway (you can sometimes just effectively win on the first turn so the coinflip is super important) that it almost doesn't matter. But this isn't me making GBS threads on it, it doesn't actually matter one iota to the integrity of what you're buying into, because you're buying an idea. "You could have TWELVE lascannons! COOL!"

Wizards making more nonsensical cards that appeal to people who don't really care about the balance of the game is what I mean. And, there's already something of a random element on what you draw, they will probably start leaning more into that. Maro mentioned that there's a coin-flipping mechanic in a future set, for example. Like, just giving up on having a healthy tournament scene, and just forever banning cards on Arena as and when they get 'too strong'. If Arena covers the entirety of the tournament side of things, they can be waaaay more responsive with bans and the like. And then they can make paper magic more about the physically 'collectable' element, exclusives, tie ins, crossovers etc.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Wizards, bring back ante and ante-related cards cowards.

Edit: This actually prevented people from going nuts on rare cards in their decks. Every card you put in was a potential card you could lose in a game. It also encouraged the social and trading aspect of it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ravendas posted:

Edit: This actually prevented people from going nuts on rare cards in their decks. Every card you put in was a potential card you could lose in a game. It also encouraged the social and trading aspect of it.

Had they had enough supply at that time, they could have kept it. But once prices started getting crazy, people losing their cards via rule was unacceptable.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I buy 40k stuff to paint and MTG to play my wife. Both are reasonably awful investments but we enjoy playing MTG in cube format, and I find painting allows me to relax.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 3, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My Crokinole board arrived today, which is faaaaaantastic as I'm hosting a board game day tomorrow and the lads don't know it's arrived.

I'll take some better action shots tomorrow, but I figured I'd post some before and after waxing photos.

Here's how the board arrived fresh out of the box. It felt like there was a very very thin layer of wax on it already, if at all, but after a few test flicks I wasn't happy with it. The lack of wax is best seen in the gutter, but there was a weird finish all over the Rosewood veneer. Having to wax the board myself was fine as I was expecting that I would need to do it before play anyway.

I applied a layer of Mother's California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax, and allowed it to dry for a few hours while I did some other things.

Final result post-buffing.

Played a couple of rounds with Mum who seemed to really like it, this shot gives a better idea of how well it came up after buffing.

Overall I'm excited to finally have my board arrive. It's obviously an entry level board from Kickstarter, but I knew what I was getting and this 100% meets expectations.
It arrived undamaged, other than some very very very minor scuffing, and is rock solid.

Very pleased with it

I'll probably post some more thoughts after taking it for a more thorough spin tomorrow. I may apply another layer of wax to reaaaaally get it slippery, but I'll see how it plays first.
Now I just need to find somewhere to loving hang it...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Now I just need to find somewhere to loving hang it...

I believe this man has the solution.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It feels soooooo good to flick discs back around to the other side in the gutter.

Magnetic North posted:

I believe this man has the solution.

:hmmyes:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ravendas posted:

Unfortunately, it also caught the eye of the gambling control board. This is also why Wizards officially refuses to acknowledge the existence of the secondary market, because if they know it exists then randomized packs actually have differing values of contents, which, again... yeah.

Infinitum, that is a lovely board, especially given the price!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I'll probably save 'final thoughts' on quality and build until after tomorrow, but for the price point it's hard to beat. The Rosewood looks a lot better in person than I thought it would, as I was umming and arring about which board to go with at the time.

It was $100usd for the board, and $60usd for international shipping.
At the time that worked out to around $200aud.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

!Klams posted:

They printed a two card combo in a set, where if you got those two cards you just won the game on the spot.

Then they printed a card that you could only get if you bought a whole box of boosters, that was necessary to make the most powerful deck at the time. That deck won by stopping the opponent doing anything all game, and repeatedly playing this new card, that gave you another turn, then shuffled back into your deck. Since you lose the game if you have no cards left to draw, it won by getting to a point where the opponent had no cards in their deck, and you had this card (or another seriously problematic card) that could shuffle back into your deck so you always had cards.

So, the best deck was one that won by stopping any game happening, and it required you to have four of a card that only rich people could afford. ALSO, this fancy card only came in foil (shiny). Foil cards tend to bend more, and so are not allowed in most hi profile tournaments, as it essentially counts as marked. So, this ultra fancy, ultra rare card, had to be replaced with a stand in at tournaments. Eventually, they banned it.

Then they printed possibly the most broken card they've made in living history. Basically, a card where normally you'd have to pay a resource to do something powerful, only instead of on this card for some reason, you 'gained' a resource to do the powerful thing. (If you lost the resource instead, the card would still have probably been too good.) It was so overpowered it saw play in 'all' formats, which is super rare. It also happened to be the posterchild of the set.

I know the first one is Saheeli Rai and Felidar Guardian, but I quit paying attention around Kaladesh. What are the others?

Ropes4u posted:

I buy 40k stuff to paint and MTG to play my wife. Both are reasonably awful investments but we enjoy playing MTG in cube format, and I find painting allows me to relax.

If everyone knows how to play Magic, cube is probably the most fun you can have playing with 8 people, right? Other than just outright everyone playing different games. It really is the Best Magic.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

My board just shipped from Guf - it’s the same board as yours I think but with a markup on it. Found that wax at supercheap autos eBay page, so that should arrive at about the same time, which is good, you make it sound like it’s quite necessary.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I’ve heard bad things about the early Mayday boards, but they seem to have gotten their poo poo together over several rounds and venders. They are probably better than the boards I’m making because I have lots of hand-made errors and these are probably just perfectly CNC’d, vacuum veneer on MDF (which is good because it means perfect flatness). $99 is kind of insane because a Tracey board (the standard for tournaments) uses similar construction and those are about $250-300 USD.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Mayday board is mass produced, so I'm sure they're going to be corner cutting here and there to keep the cost down.

I wish I had taken a better shot of it, but there was a weird pattern on the veneer, most likely from how a machine applied it to the MDF.

I knew walking into it that I would have to probably wax it before play. I'm not sure if the additional cost of wax is a caveat emptor for anyone, but it wasn't for me.

Do give your board a good hour or so for the wax to dry before you buff it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Boxman posted:

I know the first one is Saheeli Rai and Felidar Guardian, but I quit paying attention around Kaladesh. What are the others?

Nexus of Fate, an instant speed Time Warp that shuffles in instead of going to the yard and Oko, Thief of Crowns, which is a planeswalker that... honestly just look it up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What the hell is a food token? Did they do an Agricola crossover already?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

In the world of endless magic and mysterious power, a strong way to consistently heal is just eat some food.

(I don't know if food tokens are good or not but I love the idea of a Planeswalker just munching on bacon to recover after being blasted by a giant dragon.)

Back Alley Borks fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 3, 2020

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

!Klams posted:

Then they printed possibly the most broken card they've made in living history. Basically, a card where normally you'd have to pay a resource to do something powerful, only instead of on this card for some reason, you 'gained' a resource to do the powerful thing. (If you lost the resource instead, the card would still have probably been too good.) It was so overpowered it saw play in 'all' formats, which is super rare. It also happened to be the posterchild of the set.

I reading this, I thought this meant that super broken Jace Beleren card from lots ago. Turns out they didn't learn anything from that debacle?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Oko is kind of amazing, because WotC thought that players would use it as a 'get a 3/3 every other turn' engine (get food, turn food into elk), somehow missing the fact that being able to turn any creature or artifact into a 3/3 repeatably (while ALSO making Oko slightly harder to kill each time) was almost better than removal despite having that effect on explicit removal spells in previous sets, up to and including the set Oko was in. Things like them missing Cat Combo I'm sympathetic toward because it's easy for things like that to slip through the cracks, but Oko was literally a one-card combo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Codeacious posted:

In the world of endless magic and mysterious power, a strong way to consistently heal is just eat some food.

(I don't know if food tokens are good or not but I love the idea of a Planeswalker just munching on bacon to recover after being blasted by a giant dragon.)

A bunch of cards have Food synergy, but they're all from the same set. As a mechanic, Food is very whatever.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zefiel posted:

I reading this, I thought this meant that super broken Jace Beleren card from lots ago. Turns out they didn't learn anything from that debacle?

Either everybody in design started huffing lead or Hasbro execs are pushing agendas to get more sales.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I just mentioned Something Awful as a place to discuss board games on the Game Brain podcast so we may get new people shortly :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Welcome to the train appreciation station

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

I just mentioned Something Awful as a place to discuss board games on the Game Brain podcast so we may get new people shortly :)

They had better have the right opinions or :argh:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I can’t even imagine being a new person here in 2020. I’ve just always been here...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Welcome to the train appreciation station

We reviewed 18Chesapeake as a matter of fact :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

I gotta catch up; lack of commutes sure has hurt my ability (and also being in zoom meetings all loving day). This is something to look forward to, at least! I started listening to Wheel Tapping, too.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Boxman posted:

If everyone knows how to play Magic, cube is probably the most fun you can have playing with 8 people, right? Other than just outright everyone playing different games. It really is the Best Magic.

There are a number of ways to play MTG cubes for only two players but we have settled on grid drafting. I am sure we have missed many many rules but since its only my wife and i we dont really care to much. The other advantage to a cube is that once it is built you are done buying cards unless you decide to change it up.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ropes4u posted:

There are a number of ways to play MTG cubes for only two players but we have settled on grid drafting. I am sure we have missed many many rules but since its only my wife and i we dont really care to much. The other advantage to a cube is that once it is built you are done buying cards unless you decide to change it up.

I have way more fun looking at the artwork and cool flavor text on Magic cards than I ever did actually playing the game. The Brother's Grimm themed release was especially thematic and super cool to mess around with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just played Dune for the first time. We had a 6p game lined up but someone got called into work at the last minute so we had no Bene Gesserit. Harkonnen (me) and the Guild won a 5th round allied victory against a Atriedes-Fremen alliance and solo Emperor

It's a pretty good game, though I wasn't wowed. I think a few random things sanded the peaks off of the game - nearly every spice blow was within 2 or 3 sectors of the storm, so there was no real reason to sacrifice troops to try to get spice so we list that conflict driver, and then my traitor cards were Dr. Yueh, Captain H, Piotr, and Feyd - I felt like I didn't get much opportunity to flip cards and be like GOTCHA though in hindsight knowing that I could use my 6 with impunity helped me a lot, and everyone was freaked out by the two facedown cards - it was just less interesting for me to strategize with.

Some of the rules are pretty ambiguous though - e.g. if I'm getting the guild discount on shipping via an alliance do I pay it to the guild or to the bank? There was similar confusion over the Fremen alliance ability, and who gets the spice when the Harkonnen uses a traitor card for an ally. I'm going to flip through the rulebook tonight if I can find it online anywhere just to get some clarification on things.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Hekk posted:

I have way more fun looking at the artwork and cool flavor text on Magic cards than I ever did actually playing the game. The Brother's Grimm themed release was especially thematic and super cool to mess around with.

I really enjoy reading a magic card, especially when it's expressing something flavorful about the card's theme in game mechanics terms.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pictured: My Sunday.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Megasabin posted:

What are opinions on Nippon? I've traded for it 2 years ago but never got around to playing it. Someone is offering me a Kickstarter version of Barrage for it, and I've heard quite good things about Barrage, and the kickstarter version actually has unique bits and seems quite hard to get.

This is a no brainer slam dunk trade.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

Giant crab is your friend. Scott needs to do the thing Jordan Draper did and make a train-kun plush to sell with every new xx title

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Infinitum posted:

Pictured: My Sunday.

This is my entire local con each year, for four days, and I'm so loving sad it's not happening in a month.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
My dad and I have been playing the hell out of Res Arcana + the expansion, but it's starting to get kind of stale, so we're looking for more games. The aspects we particularly liked were the short playtime, variance, creating a strategy from what you were given, and relative simplicity of mechanics. Any suggestions for something that might scratch the same itches? Another engine builder would be good, but we're both pretty new to board games so other genres aren't out of the question.12345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks to this thread I swapped out my potential purchase of Camel Cup for Divinity Derby and First Contact which were both a hit and the table!

We also Played Skull King and I able to eke out a win from last place with zero bid bets in round 7 and 10. This game gave me some AP I tell you what.