Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've been playing a lot with just equipping the pom blossom + Fated Persuasion and rolling with whatever I get given, and it's been working great. Super great in fact, and I wonder why I had so many 'bad runs' before when trying to get 20+ heat. So for a lark, I decided to try to 'force' something with a god trinket, and using Fated Authority to get them to spawn again. 1st boon was free, 2nd boon took 5 rerolls. Never saw a 3rd boon. No loving wonder I had so much goddamn trouble before! If the game's seed didn't draw that god, it's really loving swimming up a waterfall to try and force it. Lesson learnt, the trinkets are probably better used to either wrap-up a tech/boon tree already in progress, or force a solitaire (like Athena dash) then stop trying. Or just sitting on pom blossom, because duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Chiron bow good. Very good, with the right hammers. More gooder than I had anticipated. Bosses just melt when you fire off 11 critical striking homing shots per second at them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Question about heat:

If I do a 3 heat run and finish, can I go back to 2 heat and still claim the goodies? I'd like to knock out a bunch at once, as suggested above, but don't want to do it if I lose out on the bloods I would get from doing it 1 level at a time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Question about heat:

If I do a 3 heat run and finish, can I go back to 2 heat and still claim the goodies? I'd like to knock out a bunch at once, as suggested above, but don't want to do it if I lose out on the bloods I would get from doing it 1 level at a time.

You never lose the bloods but you have to beat the higher heat multiple times to get it I think. Like I believe beating the 3 heat counts as a 2 heat win

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You only get the rewards from the lowest unconquered heat level. So if you've beaten heat 0, say, then it doesn't matter if you set the pact to 1 or 5 or 20 heat, you still get the heat 1 rewards. Once that's done, you need to set the heat to 2 to get higher rewards but you can set it higher if you want and it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 5 or 20 heat. And so on.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Heat mechanics:

Heat 0 is completely its own thing. To claim all heat 0 bounties for a weapon, you must clear a run at heat 0 with that weapon.

Heat 1 or greater: you can only get the bounties for the lowest heat that you haven't cleared yet with that weapon.
If you can claim some (or all) heat 3 bounties, for example, it doesn't matter if you set heat 3, thirty or three thousand, you'll still get the heat 3 bounties. Finishing the run will allow you to the collect heat 4 bounties on future runs.
Other rewards for increased heat (e.g. Skelly statues) may be awarded if eligible, and the run is recorded as the appropriate heat level. It's just bounties that are locked.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You only get the rewards from the lowest unconquered heat level. So if you've beaten heat 0, say, then it doesn't matter if you set the pact to 1 or 5 or 20 heat, you still get the heat 1 rewards. Once that's done, you need to set the heat to 2 to get higher rewards but you can set it higher if you want and it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 5 or 20 heat. And so on.

Thanks. That makes a sense.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsPPN6j6ps

I have never seen him do a review this positive. Gosh.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Question about fated persuasion and room rewards.

It appears that it'll never give me a choice between stuff for the run or metacurrency. What are the pools it can draw from on a reroll? Is it true I can't ever reroll gems into a boon or something? Also, where do hammers/hermes go?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hackan Slash posted:

It appears that it'll never give me a choice between stuff for the run or metacurrency. What are the pools it can draw from on a reroll? Is it true I can't ever reroll gems into a boon or something? Also, where do hammers/hermes go?

Fated Authority rerolls room rewards from within their respective pools. Meta-rewards (darkness, gems etc.) will turn into another meta-reward, run rewards (boons, money etc.) will turn into another run reward. You will never reroll into anything from the other pool. Hammers and Hermes boons are run rewards and can be rerolled into from other run rewards.

Fated Persuasion rerolls boons and Charon wells, but not hammers, giving you a new set of three to choose from. The cost increases if you reroll more than once in a row.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Hackan Slash posted:

I believe you're asking about Fated Authority (which is the default mirror perk in the same slot).

Rooms that reward meta-currency can only be altered into other meta-currency. So all of these rooms can only become one of the other kind of room:
Gems
Darkness
Keys
Nectar

Rooms that reward mid-run currency can only be altered into other mid-run currencies. All of these rooms can only become one of the other kind of room:
Gods
Health
Gold
Hammers

Shops cannot be altered, and you cannot alter a mid-run currency into a meta currency.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I wish the game would identify second order Fated Choices in the boon menu. I want to know which of the boons I've already chosen is a prerequisite of some other boon I haven't chosen without having to be diving into the codex to cross reference stuff.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Can't see anything in the patch notes but I'm pretty sure fishing was fixed so that it doesn't only happen on the 3rd and 4th attempts anymore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've seen it happen on the 1st a couple times now.

Speaking of fishing, I see a lot of missing fish in my codex. Based on the order, it makes me think there is a fishing area I haven't found. I mean, I have a bunch in a row that correspond with the various zones, but then a group that are just missing. Or maybe it is two groups missing. I need to double check.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of fishing, I see a lot of missing fish in my codex. Based on the order, it makes me think there is a fishing area I haven't found. I mean, I have a bunch in a row that correspond with the various zones, but then a group that are just missing. Or maybe it is two groups missing. I need to double check.
One issue I had was getting too many perfect catches and therefore inadvertently bypassing the various common rarity fish in each zone.

That said, you may also be missing the fish from the domain of Chaos and the surface.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have caught a Trout or two, but I've never even seen a hole in that other spot. Weird. Hope I haven't just missed them or something.

I wish I could get the Poseidon boon faster. First time I got it was really early and I ended up with 9 fish! Other time was late and I got 4.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish I could get the Poseidon boon faster. First time I got it was really early and I ended up with 9 fish! Other time was late and I got 4.
I got the Poseidon boon one time but I didn't see any fishing spots the whole run, including after I also got the fishy thing from the Well of Charon. Makes me wonder if I'm just completely blind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This was probably brought up during EA, but this game has a really good sense of humor

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Sivart13 posted:

I got the Poseidon boon one time but I didn't see any fishing spots the whole run, including after I also got the fishy thing from the Well of Charon. Makes me wonder if I'm just completely blind.

Every time I get that boon now I just sell it for 400g.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Party Boat posted:

This is what the wiki has. I like how they've phrased it:

If I realize mid-run that I didn't pet Cerberus for luck before starting out I immediately reset the run, because gently caress escape, some things are actually important

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just got my first shield clear somehow, despite trying many times. I am bad with the shield, and this run was tough. Not my hardest clear yet, but I basically had no damage for most of the run. I'm also getting really close to getting the credits roll, so that's exciting, especially since the only weapon I haven't cleared the game with at all yet is the gun, and I hate the gun.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

King of Solomon posted:

the only weapon I haven't cleared the game with at all yet is the gun, and I hate the gun.
I'm medium on the gun in general but the Rocket Bomb and Triple Bomb hammer upgrades make it feel a lot better

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
re: being low on blood, if you collect keys and gems and aren't using them for anything you might as well trade them up for nectar/diamonds/ambrosia and eventually blood. that's what I was doing since it took me so long to get my first clear and I didn't even have access to heat to get more blood at the time. Now I'm still supplementing that way so that I don't have to push through higher heats than I feel ready to do.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sivart13 posted:

I'm medium on the gun in general but the Rocket Bomb and Triple Bomb hammer upgrades make it feel a lot better

Even with Eris and the cluster bomb upgrade, it just feels AWFUL. I think it's that the normal attack doesn't stagger.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you hate the rail use the hestia aspect! It's easy mode and plays nothing like the rail. One attack boon and you have everything you need to beat the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If a weapon needs hammer upgrades to not feel miserable to use, it's a bad weapon imo.

Edit: that said, getting spread fire on it is usually an easy win.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will vouch for the Rail even hammerless. Love that thing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Broken Cog posted:

If a weapon needs hammer upgrades to not feel miserable to use, it's a bad weapon imo.

Edit: that said, getting spread fire on it is usually an easy win.

You're guaranteed two hammer upgrades and one for sure in Elysium. But you don't need hammers for Rail to be good, between Hestia and Eris it's very versatile and powerful. Eris you can build towards Artemis and play one-shot, one-kill, Hestia you just throw out a special and use dash-attacks to melt everything when you're buffed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dias posted:

You're guaranteed two hammer upgrades and one for sure in Elysium. But you don't need hammers for Rail to be good, between Hestia and Eris it's very versatile and powerful. Eris you can build towards Artemis and play one-shot, one-kill, Hestia you just throw out a special and use dash-attacks to melt everything when you're buffed.

Oh I'm at heat 8 with the Rail, I'm used to it. It's still my least favourite weapon by far.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Broken Cog posted:

Oh I'm at heat 8 with the Rail, I'm used to it. It's still my least favourite weapon by far.

Dash attack more, especially if you're playing Hestia. You toss out your special and just melt stuff, it's secretly a melee weapon.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

After spending a lot of time not forcing gods in an effort to level up all my trinkets, I'm starting to feel like the Spear is now my least favorite weapon.

Also Athena/Aphrodite is by far my least favorite god combo so far, just no offense whatsoever to speak of.

Athena in particular has a lot of clunkers and her best duos are much harder to get now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you keep a god's keepsake equipped through a zone transition, does it give you a second guaranteed spawn for the god in the new zone?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

After spending a lot of time not forcing gods in an effort to level up all my trinkets, I'm starting to feel like the Spear is now my least favorite weapon.

Also Athena/Aphrodite is by far my least favorite god combo so far, just no offense whatsoever to speak of.

Athena in particular has a lot of clunkers and her best duos are much harder to get now.
Aphrodite has I think the highest % damage modifier in the game... When I need a generic attack/special buff in act 2 I usually use her.

I think Athena has some of the best support boons (her revenge is great, her trap damage reduction is really good, and her aid is my favorite one). I guess you can roll her DD perks at a bad time tho.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 3, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
One thing I learned is that Athena Cast can backstab with Cast weapons, which means it does a LOT of damage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

No Wave posted:

Aphrodite has I think the highest % damage modifier in the game... When I need a generic attack/special buff in act 2 I usually use her.

I think Athena has some of the best support boons (her revenge is great, her trap damage reduction is really good, and her aid is my favorite one). I guess you can roll her DD perks at a bad time tho.

Yeah I like Aphrodite a lot when you're just going for high DPS, especially early on when you don't have any fun combos built up. Chiron bow with Aphrodite special will output disgusting damage very very early on if you wear her trinket, with very little the RNG can do to gently caress you over because it isn't reliant on multiple gods.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes - I cleared 32 heat with chiron+aphrodite today:

I don't think I've ever seen another god get special damage above 200%.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People talk poo poo about Dionysus, but I just had a gun run where I got his attack boon in room 1, immediately followed by demeter's boon that leveled it up every 3 encounters, plus somehow all of my poms went to it. And I had the hammer that made the bullets bounce to other enemies and an attack speed buff.... Anyway, maybe it was just all of that put together, but I had a poison machine gun that cleared entire rooms easier than anything I've seen before.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Is Artemis crit stuff good? I keep building towards it because I love crit builds in most games but it seems pretty weak.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Artemis is almost always the highest damage primary/secondary boon you can get.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not any better than Demeter/Aphrodite and probably worse as melee where Demeter/Aphrodite statuses are relevant. The annoying thing about artemis is that her boon scales poorly with rarity - an epic artemis boon will give something like +40% attack and +15% crit whereas an equivalent aphrodite boon would give +95% attack (which, in a vacuum, is more raw damage even before factoring Aphrodite's status into account). I think Poms make this even worse.

This changes when Chaos gets involved. If you have one chaos attack buff Artemis starts looking very appealing because the crit becomes more important, and if you have two she gets much much better.

In general though crit builds in this game aren't especially interesting and don't get out of control like in other games. The most fun thing you can do with her is use her call with a level 5 achilles spear. She's not a bad god, I'm not sad to see her, but she's not nuts or anything.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Is Artemis crit stuff good? I keep building towards it because I love crit builds in most games but it seems pretty weak.

Artemis is really good for attack-based builds. The Crit Build rule applies here: are you attacking multiple times a second? Crit is probably good. I also like her on Eris Rail because you can stack her dash-attack with her attack boon and just one-shot everything.