Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

i posted about this in c spam but it’s relevant here too: depending on how many senators have to quarantine for the coronavirus, they might not be able to have a hearing on a.c.b until the middle of october at the absolute earliest and they may not even have enough votes for a majority even if they try to get it done before the election

so, y’know, take the gun out of your mouth for a second because it might? somehow? work out?

Okay, so. This sounds good but there are two issues with it. First, Judiciary has allowed Senators to appear remotely at hearings and there’s no reason to think that’ll be different here. Second, Judiciary doesn’t matter.

There are 22 Senators on Judiciary (12/10.). Quorum is majority of committee. But hearings don’t require a quorum, they just require the physical presence of a single member which means remote participation wouldn’t be an issue. It’s only for a vote on reporting that you need a majority with two members of the minority present. So there’s no reason to think this will block the hearing. So it’s only the vote to report out that could be blocked, where you need a majority of the committee actually present and two members of the minority have to be there.

But even if we say that Tillis and Lee are sick enough not to be able to return to DC, or that they can’t force 2 Dems into the room to get to a Judiciary quorum for transacting business, that’s not enough. (Yes, Senators can be arrested and physically brought into the Senate to create quorums if they’re hiding.)

McConnell could file a discharge petition to force the nomination out of committee. He’d likely claim “we had hearings and it’s too important to have a SCOTUS justice to allow COVID to block us from considering this nominee.” Right now this type of petition is filibusterable, but that could be changed via a nuclear option maneuver. Then it’s a majority vote on the nominee in the full Senate. Quorum in the full Senate is 51, but suggesting the absence of a quorum means there’d need to be at least one Dem there, so you only actually need 50 Rs present. (And if you wanted to bet Collins wouldn’t show up to allow a quorum to form so she could cast a symbolic no vote, I’d take your money.). So you maybe have Murkowski, at best, refusing to show up, then whoever physically can’t due to COVID. Which means you need at least 3 R senators to be physically incapable of being there to block Barrett. (And again, if you think they won’t show up even if it breaks quarantine if they’re physically capable, I will take your money.)

I’m not hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I would quite like to see McConnell forced into blowing up every rule roadblock on the argument that having an empty Scotus seat is too important after leaving one open for 10 months 4 years ago. Not because I don't think he would but because you'd see a pretty loving clear argument for court packing even more moderate democrats could put forward and believe in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thanks for the analysis Kalman, that's a great post.

MrNemo posted:

I would quite like to see McConnell forced into blowing up every rule roadblock on the argument that having an empty Scotus seat is too important after leaving one open for 10 months 4 years ago. Not because I don't think he would but because you'd see a pretty loving clear argument for court packing even more moderate democrats could put forward and believe in.

Yeah, I mean, let's dance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks for the analysis Kalman, that's a great post.

Yeah, I mean, let's dance.

Having to use the nuclear option a few times I think definitely adds a lot of uncertainty to proceedings, I think its possible the Republicans in difficult races aren't willing to be put through that wringer multiple times.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Having to use the nuclear option a few times I think definitely adds a lot of uncertainty to proceedings, I think its possible the Republicans in difficult races aren't willing to be put through that wringer multiple times.
The supreme court is the best bet conservatives have of ensuring their policies and beliefs continue to have power as the population turns more and more liberal. Why wouldn't Conservative voters support Senators who ensure they own the court by any means necessary?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

There are voters out there who still don't really accept the reality of republicans being entirely captured by the extreme evangelicals and QAnon groups. They still think that republicans are basically voting for low taxes and nothing that will change the status quo. Being confronted with the republicans being willing to blow the system up to entrench themselves could be enough to unseat a few vulnerable senators.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Trapick posted:

The supreme court is the best bet conservatives have of ensuring their policies and beliefs continue to have power as the population turns more and more liberal. Why wouldn't Conservative voters support Senators who ensure they own the court by any means necessary?

Because they're selfish randians who pursue their own power and narrow parochial interests over the interests of their perception of the greater good is anathema to their worldview? Additionally the Republican senators in more purple races got there by possibly either by hook or crook appearing to be more moderate, so there's a chance some of them don't care enough about the issues in question and only use culture war wedge issues as political props for their own pursuit of power.

Not wanting to lose their seats and its power is a perfectly plausible and simple reason as to why they don't want to go full President Clark on things. Some of them might have genuine pangs of concerns about institutionalism to not want to burn the lamp oil on this, and most importantly might not want to give Democrats an excuse to turn around and pack the courts and ram through popular progressive legislation and end up permanently in the minority or find themselves cast aside if the party changes as a result of a realignment.

There's dozens, hundreds of possible variables to consider. Republicans aren't orcs.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, reminder that if for whatever reason she does not receive her presidential appointment before the next president takes office, there is no reason that the new president has to actually appoint her.

Even with the COVID infections, I don't see any way how this stops them from voting in a new justice before the end of January, no way they could stop it for over 3 months. We're gettin that new judge whether we want it or not.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It’d only require a single one and honestly it would be a nuclear option that isn’t even that indefensible - if a nominee has made it through hearings and the majority of the Senate is ready and willing to vote on them, being procedurally bottled up in committee (*especially* if due to COVID) really shouldn’t be a block to a vote. I suspect that the net differential for a vulnerable R between voting for Barrett and voting to nuke a weird procedural hurdle to get her to a vote isn’t that big.

(All of this makes me want to pull out my old copy of Senate Procedure and Practice to remind myself what the state of the art in procedural fuckery was when it was part of my job to know about procedure instead of just a topic of interest.)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i’m just hopeful that the nomination process does not go smoothly and quickly, and that maybe the farce of procedure in the senate is finally given the coup de grace it deserves and maybe we don’t end up with a chud on the court

i’m not expecting a miracle, because although it would be funny to see the conservative legal project (the blessed child labored over for 60 years carefully nursed and kept alive through setbacks and incompetent nominating by sheer force of will and aggressive recruitment and indoctrination) suddenly eat a huge loving L by way of donald trump’s own goal (and believe me i’d love to see it i could use a laugh 2020’s been hard), i would expect they’d find some way to force barrett onto the court in the lame duck session. i can only hope the democrats take a hard fought loss and maybe find their own soulless turtle gently caress to lead them kicking and screaming into 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Parrotine posted:

Even with the COVID infections, I don't see any way how this stops them from voting in a new justice before the end of January, no way they could stop it for over 3 months. We're gettin that new judge whether we want it or not.

I know but who doesn't want to cite marbury vs madison when they get a chance?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Declan MacManus posted:

i’m just hopeful that the nomination process does not go smoothly and quickly, and that maybe the farce of procedure in the senate is finally given the coup de grace it deserves and maybe we don’t end up with a chud on the court

i’m not expecting a miracle, because although it would be funny to see the conservative legal project (the blessed child labored over for 60 years carefully nursed and kept alive through setbacks and incompetent nominating by sheer force of will and aggressive recruitment and indoctrination) suddenly eat a huge loving L by way of donald trump’s own goal (and believe me i’d love to see it i could use a laugh 2020’s been hard), i would expect they’d find some way to force barrett onto the court in the lame duck session. i can only hope the democrats take a hard fought loss and maybe find their own soulless turtle gently caress to lead them kicking and screaming into 2022

Keeping her off the court until after trump makes his play to have SCOTUS decide the election would be a win even if it couldn’t be held out until January. but the speculation is pointless because they can’t, McConnell of all people gives not a single poo poo about :decorum: or the appearance of impropriety, if necessary he would just overturn whatever rules or gavel through whatever objections he needed to in order to get her on the court. He would personally give himself covid and then passionately French kiss every republican in the senate if that’s what it took.

Rules lawyering is pointless with someone who doesn’t care about playing by the rules. McConnell is 100% results oriented and doesn’t care at all about how we get there or how it “looks” (libs should take notes). He’s spent 10 years engineering this outcome, they’ve finally flipped the court, he’s not going to let it go to waste because a few Republican senators might die.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 3, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Declan MacManus posted:

i posted about this in c spam but it’s relevant here too: depending on how many senators have to quarantine for the coronavirus, they might not be able to have a hearing on a.c.b until the middle of october at the absolute earliest

This is now what's happening.

She's still getting confirmed no matter what, because even if Trump dies then the rallying cry would be "honor Trump's final wishes and appoint the religious extremist to the bench!"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Edit: wrong thread

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 4, 2020

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is now what's happening.

She's still getting confirmed no matter what, because even if Trump dies then the rallying cry would be "honor Trump's final wishes and appoint the religious extremist to the bench!"

Okay, so here is a question: what happens if the president dies? Does the nomination get rescinded automatically?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Okay, so here is a question: what happens if the president dies? Does the nomination get rescinded automatically?
Ambiguous but I think when it has come up the replacement has just re-upped everything to be sure. Pence would surely have no trouble with ACB.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nessus posted:

Ambiguous but I think when it has come up the replacement has just re-upped everything to be sure. Pence would surely have no trouble with ACB.

Pence does have strange issues with women

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Keeping her off the court until after trump makes his play to have SCOTUS decide the election would be a win even if it couldn’t be held out until January. but the speculation is pointless because they can’t, McConnell of all people gives not a single poo poo about :decorum: or the appearance of impropriety, if necessary he would just overturn whatever rules or gavel through whatever objections he needed to in order to get her on the court. He would personally give himself covid and then passionately French kiss every republican in the senate if that’s what it took.

Rules lawyering is pointless with someone who doesn’t care about playing by the rules. McConnell is 100% results oriented and doesn’t care at all about how we get there or how it “looks” (libs should take notes). He’s spent 10 years engineering this outcome, they’ve finally flipped the court, he’s not going to let it go to waste because a few Republican senators might die.

You're not wrong that McConnell will do anything to get ACB into the Court, but as much as he'd like to pretend otherwise, he can't actually do that all by himself. He still needs to get the other Republican Senators to vote. He's been really good at doing that so far, but this is an unprecedented situation, and I don't think we can say for sure that every last GOP Senator is willing to literally risk death to get this done, if that's what it comes down to.

I mean, it's still very likely that ACB will get pushed through one way or another. But it's not a foregone conclusion any more, no matter how determined Yertle is.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pence does have strange issues with women
So does ACB, bet they'd get along like an abortion clinic on fire.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Alien Arcana posted:

You're not wrong that McConnell will do anything to get ACB into the Court, but as much as he'd like to pretend otherwise, he can't actually do that all by himself. He still needs to get the other Republican Senators to vote. He's been really good at doing that so far, but this is an unprecedented situation, and I don't think we can say for sure that every last GOP Senator is willing to literally risk death to get this done, if that's what it comes down to.

I mean, it's still very likely that ACB will get pushed through one way or another. But it's not a foregone conclusion any more, no matter how determined Yertle is.

Just lol if McConnell gives us zoom voting when Pelosi's been fighting it for months.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stickman posted:

Just lol if McConnell gives us zoom voting when Pelosi's been fighting it for months.

I don't know why Pelosi's fighting it but given how lovely a person she is it's not surprising if she's against it. Even though bringing Congress in to the 21st century means members of Congress would rarely have to leave their home districts and I'm sure most people in Congress would love to not worry about needing to have a second home in a market as expensive as DC.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The thread title is... not quite accurate anymore?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pick posted:

Oh, it’s 100% accurate, we never have to worry about her health again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
McConnell is, fwiw, actually a pretty lovely whip. His strength is solely in his shamelessness, not in his ability to get R votes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pick posted:

What, did they ressurrect her somehow

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mandatory lesbian posted:

What, did they ressurrect her somehow
Presumably Ginsberg's reserves of Pathos, Corpus and Willpower could become exhausted before she has blighted the entire Republican leadership from beyond the Shroud.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Nessus posted:

Presumably Ginsberg's reserves of Pathos, Corpus and Willpower could become exhausted before she has blighted the entire Republican leadership from beyond the Shroud.

This is the weirdest place to make a 90s tabletop RPG reference, :GB2TradGames:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
E: misunderstood

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 4, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kalman posted:

Oh, it’s 100% accurate, we never have to worry about her health again.

there's currently a health scare caused by RBG. the tables, have turned.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pick posted:

there's currently a health scare caused by RBG. the tables, have turned.

By that logic, considering how and where this current slow-motion trainwreck got started, wouldn't this be more properly an ACB health scare?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/chasestrangio/status/1313112412393005057

Would you loving look at that. Everyone, pretend to be surprised.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BRB, driving to DC to kick them in the dick

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I guess that is one way to give Democrats the impetus to pack the courts.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

“If the states had been allowed to address this issue, they could have accommodated religious liberty”. loving lol.

:thunk:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 5, 2020

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
The sheer intensity of Thomas' steadfast support of so-called "states' rights" has never and will never fail to astound me.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Overturning Obergefell while keeping Windsor would be a uniquely poo poo scenario where federally-recognized marriages have their recognition by states lost on a state-by-state basis as you ride a train across the country. That sort of contradiction will not hold so I'd expect a drumbeat to de-recognize marriages by law or ruling and clog up family courts for decades.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sarcastro posted:

The sheer intensity of Thomas' steadfast support of so-called "states' rights" has never and will never fail to astound me.
He’s just an rear end in a top hat, that’s about it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mikl posted:

https://twitter.com/chasestrangio/status/1313112412393005057

Would you loving look at that. Everyone, pretend to be surprised.

:qq: Why :qq: can't :qq: we :qq: legally :qq: discriminate :qq: and :qq: hide :qq: behind :qq: religion?? :qq:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dameius posted:

I guess that is one way to give Democrats the impetus to pack the courts.
Do you actually have faith they would? I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Crows Turn Off posted:

Do you actually have faith they would? I don't.

Yeah there's no way the Democrats would pack the courts. I'd wager you wouldn't even see over 50% support for it under ANY circumstance.