Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Earth posted:

There's not much Star Wars I want, but man I want that Nebulon-B set. I need to pay close attention to how to get one so I can grab it.

FYI there’s a couple of Nebulon frigate sets floating around, eg this on the smaller end and a more detailed version.

Brawnfire posted:

Family photo
How about extended family?

I thought the giraffe one was the dumbest thing, but the ears are weirdly useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Need a Dave Chappelle minifig

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Cookie Monster gets a pass because he's Cookie Monster. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

veni veni veni posted:

Tiny, but pretty cool.

Now I'm kind of mad it didn't get voted for the UCS.

I actually really like the tiny-scale capital ships. I can't remember the number, but there was a 'mid-scale' ISD that was exceptionally well done and I had a lot of fun building it...instead of the "fun" I've heard that's entailed in building the new one and *especially* the original super fragile Collector's Series ISD.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Bought a REALLY dusty old display set.

What is everyones opinion on cleaning dusty Lego? There are no boogers or slime or play-doh, just dust. The set has been displayed for about 8 years but never played with so the pieces themselves are immaculate underneath the dust.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ineptitude posted:

Bought a REALLY dusty old display set.

What is everyones opinion on cleaning dusty Lego? There are no boogers or slime or play-doh, just dust. The set has been displayed for about 8 years but never played with so the pieces themselves are immaculate underneath the dust.

Air compressor, just don't use a wet line.

There's been endless discussion about how to wash lego but really it just comes down to some mild detergent and gently agitate it making sure the water doesn't get too hot. All other methods are just this but some sort of shortcut like using a lingerie washbag in a washing machine/dishwasher.

Then you just have to spend weeks drying it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

If you have the time and don't want to take the set apart use a tooth brush. I typically try to clean my sets once a year and this works wonders.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I actually really like the tiny-scale capital ships. I can't remember the number, but there was a 'mid-scale' ISD that was exceptionally well done and I had a lot of fun building it...instead of the "fun" I've heard that's entailed in building the new one and *especially* the original super fragile Collector's Series ISD.

If you are into MoCs, build the ISD from Empire over Jedha (or actually the whole MoC). It's the best Lego ISD I ever built...and I built the loving Monarch... (as well as the two official UCS ones). It's an absolutely stunning creation.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Leak of the coliseum. 9000 pieces 600 dollars. Not for me, but I imagine it is quite an impressive display. https://www.instagram.com/p/CF4XehJpHfG/?igshid=1712f4bm1jvxk

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

If it's assembled and you don't feel like taking it apart, computer duster/can of compressed air is what I would use.

Ahh Lepin. I wanted to write a little bit about my recent experience with the Lion King Detective Building. Overall it was... interesting. The clutch on the pieces can be best described as "severe", and the effort needed to press them into the baseplate had me developing new muscle groups. Aside from the more obvious injection mold marks and the lack of lettering on the studs, the pieces are visually indistinguishable from Lego. The pieces do need to be attached to one another more deliberately than Lego, with Lego you don't have to approach precisely with a piece for it to naturally work into its "snap" position- these pieces will just attach wrong and you will have to remove it and put it on properly. Printed pieces are fine (I found it quite humorous that the LEGO News is now the LEPIN News, with the headline "the greatest LEPIN hero ever!"). Grateful as always for printed glass instead of clear stickers.

The brick separator (a giraffe like the one above) oddly was in the fourth numbered set of bags, so too late to be useful for anyone who needed one before that step. The cat on the third floor is replaced with a Friends-style lion cub (in keeping with the bastardized brand name that they're using). The biggest issue by far was with the windows- they take a lot of effort to cram in to the frames and to my eye look just slightly murkier than official Lego windows (this might be from the stress of bending slightly to fit in the frames- they don't "click" in nicely like the real ones).

Based on the actual building experience, and the fact that much like Mega Bloks the pieces should be kept separate from real Lego, I can't recommend this or any other Lepin/Lion King sets. I'm glad I did get it to see for myself (and it does scratch the itch of having my favourite OOP modular as it's visually identical). The best part was not having to spend $300. I definitely came away with a renewed appreciation for the quality of Lego and won't be taking it for granted any longer.

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 3, 2020

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Scipiotik posted:

Leak of the coliseum. 9000 pieces 600 dollars. Not for me, but I imagine it is quite an impressive display. https://www.instagram.com/p/CF4XehJpHfG/?igshid=1712f4bm1jvxk

Is this the biggest non licensed set ever?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
So about a grand in Australia. I guess I didn't need that money anyway.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The set is entirely disassembled.

The reason i ask is the last time i cleaned bricks by sumberging in water with dishsoap resulted in an entire set having bricks with extremely tight clutch afterwards, bricks would literally make creaking sounds when i assembled them. I always felt the dishwashing soap was to blame. (Soap for hand washing , not dishwasher, and not very warm water)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

If it's assembled and you don't feel like taking it apart, computer duster/can of compressed air is what I would use.

Ahh Lepin. I wanted to write a little bit about my recent experience with the Lion King Detective Building. Overall it was... interesting. The clutch on the pieces can be best described as "severe", and the effort needed to press them into the baseplate had me developing new muscle groups. Aside from the more obvious injection mold marks and the lack of lettering on the studs, the pieces are visually indistinguishable from Lego. The pieces do need to be attached to one another more deliberately than Lego, with Lego you don't have to approach precisely with a piece for it to naturally work into its "snap" position- these pieces will just attach wrong and you will have to remove it and put it on properly. Printed pieces are fine (I found it quite humorous that the LEGO News is now the LEPIN News, with the headline "the greatest LEPIN hero ever!"). Grateful as always for printed glass instead of clear stickers.

The brick separator (a giraffe like the one above) oddly was in the fourth numbered set of bags, so too late to be useful for anyone who needed one before that step. The cat on the third floor is replaced with a Friends-style lion cub (in keeping with the bastardized brand name that they're using). The biggest issue by far was with the windows- they take a lot of effort to cram in to the frames and to my eye look just slightly murkier than official Lego windows (this might be from the stress of bending slightly to fit in the frames- they don't "click" in nicely like the real ones).

Based on the actual building experience, and the fact that much like Mega Bloks the pieces should be kept separate from real Lego, I can't recommend this or any other Lepin/Lion King sets. I'm glad I did get it to see for myself (and it does scratch the itch of having my favourite OOP modular as it's visually identical). The best part was not having to spend $300. I definitely came away with a renewed appreciation for the quality of Lego and won't be taking it for granted any longer.

Loved this post. Thanks.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Scipiotik posted:

Oh thank the internet it’s not the green coliseum, I get to keep my money. I have more than enough architecture beige pieces that I could probably just build this, and as a result I have zero interest in building Something like this with architecture beige. Tower bridge cured me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been working on this and I think I hate it and I can't tell why that is, maybe you guys can. I was trying for something dynamic and when I wasn't feeling it I started adding height and now I think it looks like a clusterfuck. No real decoration yet just kind of the rough idea:

Why do I hate this so much???

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Literally A Person posted:

I've been working on this and I think I hate it and I can't tell why that is, maybe you guys can. I was trying for something dynamic and when I wasn't feeling it I started adding height and now I think it looks like a clusterfuck. No real decoration yet just kind of the rough idea:

Why do I hate this so much???

dial down the height of those back two platforms like 50%

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Spookydonut posted:

dial down the height of those back two platforms like 50%

Okay, gonna try that.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I would try to use the pieces supporting the tallest platform to make two 'walls' to either side of the main baseplates. the rear wall can be made with those black fence-like railings. then you can use the platforms over the back wall (supported by the side walls), get a sort of galleon or Caravel shape going, using that windshield for a little cockpit on the front-center or asymetrically off to one side like in those WWII landing ships all the videogames start in , I really should doodle a diagram but I hope I'm making enough sense.

EDIT: aw, I hope this doodle makes more sense. the tallest 'room' I'd lower and support by two walls as follows:

This gives you more of a cohesive, organic and maybe 'dynamic' shape, the rear can be made with those fence pieces if they're big enough and if you have the pieces maybe make them a ramp that can fold down? something for that cool mech to deploy from

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 3, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

The set is entirely disassembled.

The reason i ask is the last time i cleaned bricks by sumberging in water with dishsoap resulted in an entire set having bricks with extremely tight clutch afterwards, bricks would literally make creaking sounds when i assembled them. I always felt the dishwashing soap was to blame. (Soap for hand washing , not dishwasher, and not very warm water)

If it's just dust and not stuck to the bricks, I would just have a big paint brush on hand to slap each part with it before clicking them together with a can of air to finish them off.

I've done this when disassembling some sets for storage and it also keeps my display sets from building dust in the nooks and crannys.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Put each piece in your mouth and clean them there.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
How soon is it expected to know about the way to get the Nebulon B Frigate? I did a search and found they have the instructions up so I downloaded them quick. Find them here: https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/77904. I find it frustrating to brick build (I've done it for too many retired sets and I'm tired of it) so I'd prefer to just buy the set.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Duckula posted:

Is this the biggest non licensed set ever?

If it's 9000 pieces it's the biggest set ever period. At the moment it's the UCS Falcon and that's about 7500 parts.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Waltzing Along posted:

Put each piece in your mouth and clean them there.

It does work

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

4000 cheese wedges, 4000 travis bricks, 1000 1x3 archways.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I can't help but think just going by that picture of the Colosseum that it'll be a miserable build because of the monochromatic bricks. They really should've worked in off-color bricks to give it some extra definition. Hopefully what we're looking at is the proof-of-concept/finished product image.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Coliseum set missing cat, Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris figs; hard pass.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

There is no way LEGO is releasing a thousand dollar architecture set of the loving Roman Coliseum. Come on guys, lol.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zefiel posted:

I would try to use the pieces supporting the tallest platform to make two 'walls' to either side of the main baseplates. the rear wall can be made with those black fence-like railings. then you can use the platforms over the back wall (supported by the side walls), get a sort of galleon or Caravel shape going, using that windshield for a little cockpit on the front-center or asymetrically off to one side like in those WWII landing ships all the videogames start in , I really should doodle a diagram but I hope I'm making enough sense.

EDIT: aw, I hope this doodle makes more sense. the tallest 'room' I'd lower and support by two walls as follows:

This gives you more of a cohesive, organic and maybe 'dynamic' shape, the rear can be made with those fence pieces if they're big enough and if you have the pieces maybe make them a ramp that can fold down? something for that cool mech to deploy from

:aaaaa: I have things to ponder now. Thanks for this.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like super big, super expensive sets double the barriers to purchase too. Like you have to have the money and the space, and a lot of the people with the disposable income don’t have anyplace to store ten square feet of lego.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Exactly. How many of us haven't bought the Falcon UCS because we just don't have the space? I feel the same way about the Cantina. I want to buy it but where the hell am I putting it? Am I just going to build it and let my kids play with it for a week before it finds it's way into the parts bin? Please don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were made and that people can enjoy them.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Chris Knight posted:

Coliseum set missing cat, Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris figs; hard pass.

:hmmyes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sorry about all these pictures, I did the

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thread challenge: build a four wheeled vehicle that can seat/carry at least four minifgures.

challenge, and made this:

The Exploriens Planetside Telescopy Vehicle, or PTV

This state-of-the-art mobile telescopy workstation is made for a variety of planetary climates and terrains.

The powerful roof-mounted polyspectral telescope is one of the most powerful planet-based telescopes available.

A number of workstations are able to configured for specific tasks.

The vehicle comes with a number of accessory trailers. Here is a powerful towed telescope.

This trailer can be used to carry components of a mobile field laboratory.

Pictured are a number of portable field telescope units.

The entire telescopy team: Left to Right there's Bill-E the Android, Tyler VanMartian, Chuck "Nova" Gideon-Kalogeropoulos, Bung Voight Chang, and Fellix Tt [a Mondrian, they just look like skeletons]
Not pictured: The driver, because everyone on the team likes to gently caress with him. What was his name again? Thick?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Brawnfire posted:

Sorry about all these pictures, I did the

challenge, and made this:

The Exploriens Planetside Telescopy Vehicle, or PTV

This state-of-the-art mobile telescopy workstation is made for a variety of planetary climates and terrains.

The powerful roof-mounted polyspectral telescope is one of the most powerful planet-based telescopes available.

A number of workstations are able to configured for specific tasks.

The vehicle comes with a number of accessory trailers. Here is a powerful towed telescope.

This trailer can be used to carry components of a mobile field laboratory.

Pictured are a number of portable field telescope units.

The entire telescopy team: Left to Right there's Bill-E the Android, Tyler VanMartian, Chuck "Nova" Gideon-Kalogeropoulos, Bung Voight Chang, and Fellix Tt [a Mondrian, they just look like skeletons]
Not pictured: The driver, because everyone on the team likes to gently caress with him. What was his name again? Thick?

:allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’ve determined that 75% of making a Lego build look good in a photo is white background + lighting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sure doesn't hurt!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That build is awesome, don't apologize for posting photos! I love the way the telescope deploys and the dense feeling of the controls in the interior. Reminds me of how scientific submarine interiors are as compact as possible.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve determined that 75% of making a Lego build look good in a photo is white background + lighting.

Yeah, decent photos make it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I totally get it. Lepin baseplates are pretty hit and miss in particular, I suspect it’s difficult to manufacture and evenly cool large pieces without warping. Once you build something out enough, they’ve all flattened out for me and things got a lot easier. For me I really like lepin for all the retired sets I’ve missed out on that have ridiculous secondhand markets. Overall I don’t mind mixing them in since they fit well with lego and have the same coloring, unlike old megablocks that are just wrong enough in every way to not be really compatible. I am keeping my new Mega Construx mostly separate though, since they have specialty colors and pieces, and quarantining 90’s mega to donate as I sort through my old blocks.

Speaking of Lepin, I recently tracked down the UCS Sandcrawler from a shop in Malaysia. Kicker is I spent about as much as the used lego version cost when I started looking at it 8 months ago and decided it was too expensive then. But I’m really glad to have finally picked it up:

Built it while out of town without thinking about how I was going to get it home. But where there’s chicken, there’s a way:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

IG-88 posted:

There is no way LEGO is releasing a thousand dollar architecture set of the loving Roman Coliseum. Come on guys, lol.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-colosseum-erste-infos-zum-set-10276/110121/