Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
a

Not a Children posted:

Sounds like your company has an underhiring problem - consistently having to work nights and weekends is a strong sign that management isn't staffing their projects well enough. From the sound of things it's absolutely endemic to the company and unlikely to change.

The best time to start interviewing is when you still have a job. Don't wait until you're too burnt out and desperate to go on to start applying - start flinging 3 resumes a day now. And make no mistake - no matter how much you like a job, if you're doing it 10 hours a day with no days off, you will burn out.

that reminds me of something I overheard our tech lead muttering to himself about yesterday:
a quarter of our open req spots never got filled. 25% x 1 year is 3 months.
we’ve been understaffed for as long as I’ve been here, but it hasn’t really affected my work life balance until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

25 days vacation

yeah, but only cause you've been there long enough. I'm still at 15, and new people would start at 15

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Faith For Two posted:

a

that reminds me of something I overheard our tech lead muttering to himself about yesterday:
a quarter of our open req spots never got filled. 25% x 1 year is 3 months.
we’ve been understaffed for as long as I’ve been here, but it hasn’t really affected my work life balance until recently.

Overload rarely comes all at once, it comes in the form of several ASAP work requests a wekk sprinkled over the course of a continually mounting pile of longer term projects

Once you hit 2 months with no weekends it's not a crunch, it's your life, and frankly that poo poo is unacceptable unless you're getting paid stupid money for it

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

A recruiter wanted to submit my application to a Big Bank. He said my social security number was required for validation purposes, to check against the bank's no hire list.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

I laughed at him and said not a chance.

Ither fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 2, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had to get fingerprinted and give a full credit and background check to work at a bank but I’d at least interviewed first

the idea that they have a searchable list of SSNs doesn’t sound kosher though

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've applied to a number of financial institutions and never heard of anything like that. Sounds like a scummy recruiter.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ither posted:

A recruiter wanted to submit my application to a Big Bank. He said my social security number was required for validation purposes, to check against the bank's no hire list.

I laughed at him said not a chance.

jesus there's probably a shitload of desperate people out there who will fall for this

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, but only cause you've been there long enough. I'm still at 15, and new people would start at 15
I believe it's possible to negotiate starting with the higher number of days if you join mid-career (especially from an acquisition). Then again one guy I know didn't do this and he was a rehire and just let them set the clock back to year one.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
many interviewers I’m talking to have heard about my current project and are asking me about it. it’s getting increasingly difficult to avoid describing what a dumpster fire it really is.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
in my head: “oh yeah, this thing is obviously going to crash and burn due to terrible decisions and a hosed culture. the architecture is a clusterfuck, all of the good people are leaving, and the higher ups are shuffling the deck chairs around instead of addressing the real problems”

verbally: “we’re doing some very exciting things. we’ve rethought some basic principles and are engineering better solutions to existing problems by starting from the ground up”

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

The Management posted:

in my head: “oh yeah, this thing is obviously going to crash and burn due to terrible decisions and a hosed culture. the architecture is a clusterfuck, all of the good people are leaving, and the higher ups are shuffling the deck chairs around instead of addressing the real problems”

verbally: “we’re doing some very exciting things. we’ve rethought some basic principles and are engineering better solutions to existing problems by starting from the ground up”

It sounds more like you're starting the project from very high up and will end up on the ground

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Asleep Style posted:

It sounds more like you're starting the project from very high up and will end up on the ground

we are on target to deliver this project, and the pace is accelerating. going to have a big impact when we land this thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I believe it's possible to negotiate starting with the higher number of days if you join mid-career (especially from an acquisition). Then again one guy I know didn't do this and he was a rehire and just let them set the clock back to year one.

Any time you return to a place you should always try to get your original start date. Anytime you're aquihired, you should insist on original start date.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I came back to work at my alma mater and my start date was still in there as 2003, from when I was a student. Sadly, the vacation accrual didn't count from that date, though!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

I didn't try it with google, but I asked with amazon because their package was just abysmal, and it was a hard "no." wouldn't be hugely surprised if acquisitions l and rehires have more leeway, but I definitely get the impression that vacation days aren't negotiable (at google, I mean). could be wrong though 🤷‍♀️

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Ither posted:

I laughed at him and said not a chance.

I once had a recruiter for a big bank tell me they required a pay stub and previous year's tax returns, no joke. Craziest loving thing I've ever heard.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Just got hired on at $NEWJOB, at 50% higher base rate than $OLDJOB.

$NEWJOB did a background check using hireright, who insisted that I give them W-2s from some past employers. I'm sure that data is totally safe and well-protected, and won't expose me to identity theft at all.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 3, 2020

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

Just got hired on at $NEWJOB, at 50% higher base rate than $OLDJOB.

$NEWJOB did a background check using hireright, who insisted that I give them W-2s from some past employers. I'm sure that data is totally safe and well-protected, and won't expose me to identity theft at all.

Well at least it's been maybe not since 2013!

quote:

The fifth server compromised as part of this botnet was located at Internet addresses assigned to Kroll Background America, Inc., a company that provides employment background, drug and health screening. Kroll Background America is now part of HireRight, a background-checking firm managed by the Falls Church, Va.-based holding company Altegrity, which owns both the Kroll and HireRight properties. Files left behind by intruders into the company’s internal network suggest the HireRight breach extends back to at least June 2013.

Get the job start the job, claim you're in London and file a GDPR takedown.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so I’ve narrowed it down to two companies I’m talking with. one is a more interesting project but the company is a mess. second is less interesting but they have their poo poo together.

first co told me that they’re interested but they also have other candidates to talk to. I assume that means they aren’t that excited and hoping someone better comes along. second co just made an offer that is way higher than what I expected and it’s going to be hard to make them wait.

the smart answer is to take the second one now, but I really want to see what I could get from the first one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol at prioritizing interesting computers to touch over getting paid and a sane work environment, but you do you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

lol at prioritizing interesting computers to touch over getting paid and a sane work environment, but you do you

this

but also

nothing is stopping you from taking the first offer then ditching if you get a better offer from the other place

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

The Management posted:

but the company is a mess

hard no on that one no matter what else it has going for it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the mgmt has been in the game long enough that we shouldn't have to say "tell job 1 to hurry up bc you have an offer, and gently caress them* if they don't" but here we are

*not in the sexy way

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

first co told me that they’re interested but they also have other candidates to talk to. I assume that means they aren’t that excited and hoping someone better comes along.

yeah this is me at the moment too. I feel like someone's backup date in case they can't find someone hotter.

unfortunately I only have the one role in progress so I can't really tell them to get bent.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
kind of a mess company is a chance to fix some things. they’re not dumb, just need some direction. that’s a better opportunity than a place that is all best practices and has no low hanging fruit.

anyway I emailed their recruiter to speed things up and he will get a phone call from me Monday.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Management posted:

kind of a mess company is a chance to fix some things. they’re not dumb, just need some direction. that’s a better opportunity than a place that is all best practices and has no low hanging fruit.

i dunno, i work at a place that's not perfect, but much better at "all best practices" than like 95% of the software industry and while there's not "introduce source control" level of low hanging fruit it does let you be super productive, which is nice

asur
Dec 28, 2012

The Management posted:

so I’ve narrowed it down to two companies I’m talking with. one is a more interesting project but the company is a mess. second is less interesting but they have their poo poo together.

first co told me that they’re interested but they also have other candidates to talk to. I assume that means they aren’t that excited and hoping someone better comes along. second co just made an offer that is way higher than what I expected and it’s going to be hard to make them wait.

the smart answer is to take the second one now, but I really want to see what I could get from the first one

Did you tell the first company you have an offer? That tends to get things moving.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Regarding SSNs I had one recruiting company that wanted the last 4 digits of my social security number and I was like, Why do you need that? And they said they needed it for their internal database to track candidates. I said I didn't want to provide it and they ghosted me for like six months until they tried to pick back up from like nothing happened. Screw those people, I got a big raise with the job I found in the meantime, not the paycut you were trying to convince me I'd have to take.

One of my friends also worked with them and to quote him, "If I listened to those people I'd be slinging C# for 80K a year"

Regarding W2s: I had to provide those for a background check once, and I figured since they were just supposed to be for a background check I blocked out SSNs on them and figured I'd see if they complained, and they never did.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I sometimes wish I had an actual niche skill, like the EV cars thread has a post about a guy who is an expert in the global lithium industry and podcasts about it, and wasn't just a generic computer toucher who can hold a conversation with product people.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We're super fortunate I guess, if I was good at being e.g. a Nurse or careworker in the same generic way I'm good at my job now I wouldn't make a decent salary and covid would have sucked really bad. Seems like BS

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I have niche skills that are theoretically highly valuable and I spend a lot of time wishing I could be happy working a generic job. Grass always greener, etc., etc.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’ve got the niche skills that make me employable at like 4 companies.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Friend of mine got hard no'd by a company after he expressed that he would prefer not to come into the office while COVID is ongoing

Stay safe out there friends

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

The Management posted:

Yup. Being in a niche is a double-edged sword. Sure you can command a high salary but the stars have to align to find an opening somewhere.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

true but specialization also nets you the cash

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The ability to leave a bad job quickly is worth a fair amount of cash IMO.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

The Management posted:

aw yeah

i definitely have to enjoy the specialized domain knowledge to be happy in a job so it’s hard to see a way out of this situation for me tbh

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i have some domain knowledge that is useful for 12 companies, but I'm actively avoiding looking for work at any of them right now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

you also run into the situation i’m currently dealing with where your interviews are the easiest layups because you’re the only person in the room who has any idea what’s going on but once hr gets involved they frown at your asking price and deny you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's why I always bring up compensation early on.